A person with one watch knows what time it is; a person with two watches is never sure. Proverb

computers / comp.mobile.android / Convert long number to date in local format

SubjectAuthor
* Convert long number to date in local formatJakub
`* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatCarlos E. R.
 +* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatMayayana
 |+- Re: Convert long number to date in local formatCarlos E. R.
 |+* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatRob
 ||`* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatCarlos E. R.
 || `* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatMayayana
 ||  `- Re: Convert long number to date in local formatRob
 |+- Re: Convert long number to date in local formatJoerg Lorenz
 |`* Re: Convert long number to date in local formatAntonio Bodoni
 | `- Re: Convert long number to date in local formatMayayana
 `- Re: Convert long number to date in local formatYakker

1
Convert long number to date in local format

<61488bfb$0$542$65785112@news.neostrada.pl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21399&group=comp.mobile.android#21399

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: jak...@interia.pl (Jakub)
Subject: Convert long number to date in local format
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:26:19 +0200
 by: Jakub - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:26 UTC

Welcome

How to convert long number to date in actual local format?

Greeting
Jakub

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<vngm1ixlb7.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21400&group=comp.mobile.android#21400

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Convert long number to date in local format
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:59:59 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:59 UTC

On 20/09/2021 15.26, Jakub wrote:
> Welcome
>
> How to convert long number to date in actual local format?

What is "long number"? Can you give examples?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<sia4u1$m3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21401&group=comp.mobile.android#21401

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:12:01 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:12 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| > How to convert long number to date in actual local format?
| | What is "long number"? Can you give examples?
| I wondered about that, too. I think there used to be
a system for determining time as a 4-byte integer that
indicated seconds since sometime in 1970. But we're
running out of storage if it's a signed integer. And looking
it up in the Win32 API, I can't find a function to conver
to/from such a number. A function could be written,
but who would be using such numeric dates in the first
place?

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<r3jm1ix8h8.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21402&group=comp.mobile.android#21402

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:40:27 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:40 UTC

On 20/09/2021 16.12, Mayayana wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
> | > How to convert long number to date in actual local format?
> |
> | What is "long number"? Can you give examples?
> |
> I wondered about that, too. I think there used to be
> a system for determining time as a 4-byte integer that
> indicated seconds since sometime in 1970. But we're
> running out of storage if it's a signed integer. And looking
> it up in the Win32 API, I can't find a function to conver
> to/from such a number. A function could be written,
> but who would be using such numeric dates in the first
> place?

I have seen conversion functions in the free pascal library, for
instance. Surely also C, but I have not looked in many years.

Yes, there are several implementations. You can assign a number of bytes
for each element in the date-time. Or you can count number of "ticks"
since a certain moment; ticks could be timer interrupts in an MsDOS PC,
or seconds since "the epoch" as does Linux (or Unix).

For example, Linux has user tools to do the conversion:

cer@minas-tirith:~> date +%s
1632148500
cer@minas-tirith:~> date -d @1632148500 +"%F %T %z"
2021-09-20 16:35:00 +0200
cer@minas-tirith:~>

I have not heard of anything in Android. Probably in code, but I do not
code for Android. In any case, we have to know what "long number" means.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<slrnskh7dh.363.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21403&group=comp.mobile.android#21403

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:41:53 +0200
 by: Rob - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 14:41 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>| > How to convert long number to date in actual local format?
>|
>| What is "long number"? Can you give examples?
>|
> I wondered about that, too. I think there used to be
> a system for determining time as a 4-byte integer that
> indicated seconds since sometime in 1970. But we're
> running out of storage if it's a signed integer. And looking
> it up in the Win32 API, I can't find a function to conver
> to/from such a number. A function could be written,
> but who would be using such numeric dates in the first
> place?

Who would be interested in the Win32 API when programming for android?

This representation of a date+time is very convenient when you need
to perform arithmetic on it. E.g. "1 day later", "1 week before",
"how many days between these dates", etc.

It is also convenient internally to the computer, as incrementing it
is merely incrementing an integer value. No need to check for those
complex rules that are involved in times and dates.

It will work until early 2038, when a problem similar to Y2K will occur.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<siadp6$328$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21406&group=comp.mobile.android#21406

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:44:22 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:44 UTC

Am 20.09.21 um 16:12 schrieb Mayayana:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
> | > How to convert long number to date in actual local format?
> |
> | What is "long number"? Can you give examples?
> |
> I wondered about that, too. I think there used to be

Me too.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<qpvm1ixhia.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21410&group=comp.mobile.android#21410

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:16:58 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:16 UTC

On 20/09/2021 16.41, Rob wrote:
> Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> | What is "long number"? Can you give examples?
>> |
>> I wondered about that, too. I think there used to be
>> a system for determining time as a 4-byte integer that
>> indicated seconds since sometime in 1970. But we're
>> running out of storage if it's a signed integer. And looking
>> it up in the Win32 API, I can't find a function to conver
>> to/from such a number. A function could be written,
>> but who would be using such numeric dates in the first
>> place?
>
> Who would be interested in the Win32 API when programming for android?
>
> This representation of a date+time is very convenient when you need
> to perform arithmetic on it. E.g. "1 day later", "1 week before",
> "how many days between these dates", etc.
>
> It is also convenient internally to the computer, as incrementing it
> is merely incrementing an integer value. No need to check for those
> complex rules that are involved in times and dates.
>
> It will work until early 2038, when a problem similar to Y2K will occur.

You are asuming a particular representation of dates + times in a long
number. We don't know if this is what the OP means.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<sibfno$e2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21421&group=comp.mobile.android#21421

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 22:22:33 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 02:22 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| > It will work until early 2038, when a problem similar to Y2K will occur.
| >
| | You are asuming a particular representation of dates + times in a long
| number. We don't know if this is what the OP means.

The OP also didn't mention the language. I expect most
languages have plenty of functions for comparing dates
without converting them to numeric. Javascript, for example,
has a Date object.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<slrnskj1o3.d1a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21434&group=comp.mobile.android#21434

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 09:17:23 +0200
 by: Rob - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:17 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>| > It will work until early 2038, when a problem similar to Y2K will occur.
>| >

>| You are asuming a particular representation of dates + times in a long
>| number. We don't know if this is what the OP means.
>|

> The OP also didn't mention the language. I expect most
> languages have plenty of functions for comparing dates
> without converting them to numeric. Javascript, for example,
> has a Date object.

As it is so hard to compare two dates as strings (especially in American
notation!), those functions internally often convert them to a long
number and then compare those numbers.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<dTh2J.392899$2Ht3.191315@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21436&group=comp.mobile.android#21436

From: antoniob...@invalid.nospam (Antonio Bodoni)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 09:47:54 -0000
 by: Antonio Bodoni - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 09:47 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> I think there used to be
> a system for determining time as a 4-byte integer that
> indicated seconds since sometime in 1970. But we're
> running out of storage if it's a signed integer. And looking
> it up in the Win32 API, I can't find a function to conver
> to/from such a number. A function could be written,
> but who would be using such numeric dates in the first
> place?

Mayayana should be surprised. 😲

Here is where numeric dates are used:
* Windows: Windows NTFS FILETIME is a numeric datetime.
(The number of 100-nanosecond intervals since 1 Jan 1601 UTC.)
* Linux, Unix: Unix time is a numeric datetime.
(The number of seconds since 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 UTC.)
* Java: (The number of milliseconds since 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 UTC.)

There already are functions to do the conversion.

The *Win32* API might appear irrelevant for a question in the *Android*
newsgroup. Even so, let me direct Mayayana to this Microsoft web page:
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/localtime-localtime32-localtime64>

Mayayana could observe that the 64-bit versions will not be running out
of storage for a very long time.

..

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<sicht4$6l2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21437&group=comp.mobile.android#21437

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:05:40 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:05 UTC

"Antonio Bodoni" <antoniobodoni@invalid.nospam> wrote

| Mayayana should be surprised. 😲
| | Here is where numeric dates are used:
| * Windows: Windows NTFS FILETIME is a numeric datetime.
| (The number of 100-nanosecond intervals since 1 Jan 1601 UTC.)
| * Linux, Unix: Unix time is a numeric datetime.
| (The number of seconds since 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 UTC.)
| * Java: (The number of milliseconds since 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 UTC.)
| | There already are functions to do the conversion.

I see. Like FileTimeToSystemTime. Thanks. Though no one
is actually dealing with the numbers directly. I guess we
may never know what Jakub is trying to do.

Re: Convert long number to date in local format

<XnsADAE94DACD37FCleanIt@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21461&group=comp.mobile.android#21461

From: NoM...@IsGoodMail.com (Yakker)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 04:37:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Yakker - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 04:37 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in news:vngm1ixlb7.ln2
@minas-tirith.valinor:

> On 20/09/2021 15.26, Jakub wrote:
>> Welcome
>>
>> How to convert long number to date in actual local format?
>
> What is "long number"? Can you give examples?

I presume the OP means spreadsheet numbering system. While I have a
lot of experience with date and time using Excel, I'm not about to
try to guess what Jakub actually wants. The internet will usually
find an answer such questions.

--
Steve (--)

I filter using XNEWS.
If you expect a response and don't see it,
don't take it personally.