From: nos...@void.blackhole.mx (Tom Wade)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Compatible versions of Oracle Server and Oracle Client
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:20:44 +0000
 by: Tom Wade - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:20 UTC

Hi,

I was asked by a friend trying to support an application on OpenVMS I64
8.4, that uses Oracle Client to talk to a remote Oracle database on a
Windows server. I have had very little experience with Oracle (enough
to stay well clear of it!), so all I could do was offer to put the
question to this forum in case somebody has been through this themselves.

Oracle server is 11g release 1.2.0.4.0 on Windows 2012 Rel 2 64 bit.
Oracle client is 10.2.0.2.0 on OpenVMS I64 8.4 (rx 2800).

This was working fine until the Windows servers were rebuilt after a
cyber attack. Since then, the server produces intermittent error TNS
12531, and needs to be rebooted. Searching on this code indicates some
kind of memory allocation problem (probably a leak) on the Windows server.

The people supporting the Windows server are suggesting upgrading to
Oracle 19, but (strangely enough) don't know whether the existing Oracle
client software will work with it.

Apparently there is an 11.2 for the Oracle client, but my friend is
having great difficulty in getting any help from Oracle as to whether it
is needed, or how to obtain it.

So if anybody knows whether it is necessary to upgrade the Oracle
client, and if so, where to get it, it would be a great help, and I will
pass the information on.

Many thanks

Tom Wade

tom dot wade at tomwade dot eu

Re: Compatible versions of Oracle Server and Oracle Client

<472cd168-0d44-455f-aee2-3b590191b176n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21514&group=comp.os.vms#21514

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: dansabrs...@yahoo.com (abrsvc)
 by: abrsvc - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:26 UTC

On Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 1:21:36 PM UTC-4, Tom Wade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asked by a friend trying to support an application on OpenVMS I64
> 8.4, that uses Oracle Client to talk to a remote Oracle database on a
> Windows server. I have had very little experience with Oracle (enough
> to stay well clear of it!), so all I could do was offer to put the
> question to this forum in case somebody has been through this themselves.
>
> Oracle server is 11g release 1.2.0.4.0 on Windows 2012 Rel 2 64 bit.
> Oracle client is 10.2.0.2.0 on OpenVMS I64 8.4 (rx 2800).
>
> This was working fine until the Windows servers were rebuilt after a
> cyber attack. Since then, the server produces intermittent error TNS
> 12531, and needs to be rebooted. Searching on this code indicates some
> kind of memory allocation problem (probably a leak) on the Windows server.
>
> The people supporting the Windows server are suggesting upgrading to
> Oracle 19, but (strangely enough) don't know whether the existing Oracle
> client software will work with it.
>
> Apparently there is an 11.2 for the Oracle client, but my friend is
> having great difficulty in getting any help from Oracle as to whether it
> is needed, or how to obtain it.
>
> So if anybody knows whether it is necessary to upgrade the Oracle
> client, and if so, where to get it, it would be a great help, and I will
> pass the information on.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tom Wade
>
> tom dot wade at tomwade dot eu

Tom,

See if this helps: https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/Oracle%20Database%20Products/2000927_1.html

Dan

Re: Compatible versions of Oracle Server and Oracle Client

<t1fm0l$6pp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21515&group=comp.os.vms#21515

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:39:32 +0100
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:39 UTC

Den 2022-03-23 kl. 18:20, skrev Tom Wade:
> Hi,
>
> I was asked by a friend trying to support an application on OpenVMS I64
> 8.4, that uses Oracle Client to talk to a remote Oracle database on a
> Windows server.  I have had very little experience with Oracle (enough to
> stay well clear of it!), so all I could do was offer to put the question to
> this forum in case somebody has been through this themselves.
>
> Oracle server is 11g release 1.2.0.4.0 on Windows 2012 Rel 2 64 bit.
> Oracle client is 10.2.0.2.0 on OpenVMS I64 8.4 (rx 2800).
>
> This was working fine until the Windows servers were rebuilt after a cyber
> attack.  Since then, the server produces intermittent error TNS 12531, and
> needs to be rebooted.  Searching on this code indicates some kind of memory
> allocation problem (probably a leak) on the Windows server.
>
> The people supporting the Windows server are suggesting upgrading to Oracle
> 19, but (strangely enough) don't know whether the existing Oracle client
> software will work with it.
>
> Apparently there is an 11.2 for the Oracle client, but my friend is having
> great difficulty in getting any help from Oracle as to whether it is
> needed, or how to obtain it.
>
> So if anybody knows whether it is necessary to upgrade the Oracle client,
> and if so, where to get it, it would be a great help, and I will pass the
> information on.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Tom Wade
>
> tom dot wade at tomwade dot eu

The 10.2 client is not compatible with 19 server.
The 11.2 client is, and that seems to be available for IA64 8.4 and up.

Check Oracle support doc 207303.1 (need an account and a login).

I'm sure all kits are available throught your Oracle support contract.