Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 03:11:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or 2022.
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:11 UTC

Current hardware analysis for Skybuck Flying:

Tower PC:
Socket 939 motherboard
NVIDIA NFORCE4 chipset
AMD X2 Dual Core (2 x 2.0 GHz) = 4.0 GHz total gigahertz ("horse power")
CORSAIR DDR1 4 x 1 Gigabytes = 4 GigaBytes total ram.
WINFAST PCI Express 1.0 = 250 MegaBytes per second = system speed
HITACHI SATA harddisks = Roughly 100 Megabytes per second peak or 2 kilobytes per second worst case performance maybe even less.
NVIDIA GT 1030 2 GigaBytes = silent = low heat = slow = fast enough for 720p gaming.

Laptop PC:
Intel Ibex Peak chipset
Intel I5 Core (2 x 2.67 GHZ) = 5.34 total gigahertz plus little bit more thanks to hyperthreading.
DDR3 6 GB
PCI Express 2.0
SATA harddisks = 100 megabytes/sec
Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 1 GB
USB 2.0

Abstract analysis:

Tower PC : 4,00 GHZ CPU (2x2.00GHZ), 4 GB MAIN RAM, 3.2 GB/SEC MAIN RAM, 400 MT/SEC MAIN RAM, 250 MB/SEC SYSTEM, 100 MB/SEC STORAGE, USB 2.0 24 MB/sec
Laptop PC: 5.34 GHZ CPU (2x2.67GHZ), 6 GB MAIN RAM, 8.5 GB/SEC MAIN RAM, 1066 MT/SEC MAIN RAM, 500 MB/SEC SYSTEM, 100 MB/SEC STORAGE, USB 2.0 24 MB/sec

Tower PC Continued : 2 GB GRAPHICS RAM, 23.49 GPixel/sec 35.23 GTexels/sec, 48.0 GB/sec GPU RAM, 100 MB/SEC network
Laptop PC Continued: 1 GB GRAPHICS RAM, 3.60 GPixel/sec, 9.00 GTexels/sec, 25.6 GB/sec GPU RAM, 10 MB/SEC network

Usage reports/experience:

Tower CPU most likely too slow to run newer games.
Laptop CPU still sufficient to run newer games except the latest and greatest, should also be replaced for bigger games.

Tower RAM is insufficient to run latest games and also struggles to keep websites in memory.
Laptop RAM is also on the low side when consulting web manuals or game manuals/information/tutorials and gaming at same time.

Main RAM on both PC has troubles switching and multi tasking, most likely also caused by disk paging and shortage of RAM capacity.

RAM performance is noticeable slow on both PCs when switching RAM loaded applications and screens could be better.

System bandwidth is incredibly low and is also very much noticeable during multi device usage, harddisk, internet, downloading, usb disks, multi tasking, alt-tabbing, graphics full screen switching

Storage speed is incredibly low and to the point of being obnoxious as hell, during all kinds of loading, webbing, page file swapping, gaming. For video and torrenting it is sufficient. Severly impacts multi tasking, especially when low on RAM which is almost always.

USB speed is low but sufficient for blueray video watching, it is insufficient for running external operating systems and is barely sufficient for gaming, long load times !

Graphics RAM capacity is sufficient to run all games, except perhaps the very latest like cyberpunk 2077 have not tried.

Tower PC pixel and texel fill rate seems to be sufficient to run latest doom at 720p modest resolution 1280x1024 though it might also still be too slow to run comfortable, perhaps 15 to 20 fps perhaps higher, some slow fps could also be caused by slow cpu.
Laptop Pixel and texel fill rate is enough for 2D games and world of warships and battlefield 3 for anything else especially anything recent it's way too slow, even at low resolution formula 1, terminator, comanche, rummble boxing, predator hunting ground all run incredibly slow

Tower PC Instruction set: Cannot run windows 10 and some games like beyondsky or whatever it was called, can funny enough still run predator hounting grounds.
Laptop Instruction set: seems to crash in rumble boxing.

Tower Graphics instruction set/technology: (GT 1030 is a recent graphics card, tower is upgradeable in this sense) probably sufficient to run any recent game.
Laptop Graphics instruction set/technology: crashes in star wars battlefront 2, lack of directx 11 features or shading features, may also be incomplete driver ? Also vulkan does not run and thus some vulkan games cannot be played, like latest doom.

Laptop 10 MB/Sec network speed is sufficient for gaming and downloading blueray movies without reasonable time, however 100 MB/sec is recommendable to shorten download time from 1 hour to a few minutes for 20+ GB blueray movies.
Laptop 10 MB/Sec might be a little bit slow for website browsing/multi-tabbing, not sure if web browser is limited by network speed in this regards.
Laptop 10 MB/Sec is sufficient for youtubing.

Low CPU core count is insufficient for the emerging emulated synthesizer trend. Multi-core/many-core will have big impact on music production.

Recommendation for new computer system:

Top priority is to maximize system bandwidth for smooth multi-tasking when using multiple devices: PCI Express 5.0 is must have technology.
Second priority is to maximize system ram to help with smooth multi-tasking and avoiding costly page swapping operations.
Second priority is also to maximize system ram performance to help with smooth multi-tasking and avoiding switching stalls.
Third priority is to reduce loading times by switching to solid state disks, however top performance can crash back to harddisk levels of performance hence why ram maximization is second priority.
Third priority is also affected by pci express hence why pci express is top priority.
Fourth priority is smooth graphics: switching to air-cooled graphics card/gpu with big bandwidth/data bus is recommendable however graphics cards must be easily cleanable to prevent damaging motherboard from overheat.
Fiveth priority is latest instruction set to be future ready for future software.
Sixth priority is sufficient CPU speed for smooth operation of software processes.
Seventh priority is maximize USB speeds for external harddisk and future solid state disks for faster loading times. USB 4.0 is adviseable for pro-longed computer usefullness and extensibility.
Eight priority is to maximize network speed for future transfers to other computers or internet however other technologies can be used like USB.

Based on these assessments the following conclusions can be taken:

PCI Express 5.0 is an absolute must have ! Anything lower is a waste of money.
USB 4.0 is an absolute must have ! Anything lower is potential waste of future money.
DDR 5 will help with faster switching and multi tasking very advisible.
MAXIMUM RAM CAPACITY IS ESSENTIAL FOR SMOOTH MULTI TASKING especially since no storage technology can truely sustain high speeds, except NETWORK.
MAXIMUM RAM CAPACITY IS ESSENTIAL TO BE ABLE TO RUN FUTURE SOFTWARE/GAMES.
Upgradeable Graphics Card is to be preferred, this may rule-out any laptop which cannot be upgraded, though there are some and maybe also external usb graphics cards.
Laptop is easier to clean than PC, this is major drawback of PC, PCs are very damage prone during cleaning.
Total System performance can be slow/impacted by heat,overheat,throttling extreme/good cooling solution needed to cool latest computer technologies.
Capacitators on motherboards are apperently prone to failing. Is it possible to have better/bigger capacitators on motherboard for long life time to extremely long life time ? Failed capacitators can lead to cooling fans not spinning.
Extra watt capacity on power supply will make power supply work last hard plus extra capacity for additional devices.
Downside of 1000+ watt computer is currently increasing energy costs world wide.
Midi limited to 32 channels, so far music studied uses 4 to 8 to 16 channels.

Leading to following future system design:
8 to 16 core CPU should be sufficient for modest to larger midi music production, for bigger productions 32 cores is recommendable.
One or two or four cores with 5.0 GHZ is recommedable for single or dual or quad threaded games.
Some games can benefit from multi/many cores and thus higher core count will make PC ready for future games.
Windows does not run well with 64 cores+smt or even more cores. 32 cores with smt seems to be the sweet spot for now, however this may change in future.

Leading to following CPU conclusion:

32-core CPU + SMT for a total of 64 threaded CPU should be optimal for current windows versions.
Maximizing CPU core speed based on 32-core CPU is therefore recommendable, also to save some costs.
PCI Express 5.0 is must have.
DDR5 is smart investment for future, can replace memory in future for faster modules.
USB 4.0 is smart investment for future.
Motherboard with maximum RAM capacity is smart investment for future.
64 GB main ram should be absolute minimum ram for todays systems, however for future upgrades 1 to 2 terrabytes of ram addressing is highly recommedable and desireable.
^ This will give some head room/breathing space for current software applications, games, development environments and web browsers, it will be insufficient within a few years giving current software trends.

Monitor resolution is not so important, except dot pitch of pixel, tiny pixels are to be preferred for butter smooth visuals.
High resolution monitors are overrated for gaming purposes, male vision is limited to in front/focus.
Wide screen monitors are overrated and is slight waste of money except for development purposes, however scrolling the desktop could solve this problem, windows has no scrolling desktop a major oversight of Microsoft company.
Extreme wide screen monitors are a total waste of money, except if you want to experience "virtual reality" being inside of it all. It will incur a heavy graphics cards investment, plus heavy cooling solution, plus extra electricity costs.
However the trend is towards 4K monitors, lower resolution support will become scarce in future, it is recommedable to buy a large-resolution monitor for future compability and work station usage.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or 2022.

<5b10c599-eb75-4a86-a428-85dee43ec1d5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21338&group=comp.arch#21338

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: jim.brak...@ieee.org (JimBrakefield)
 by: JimBrakefield - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:10 UTC

<sktpnk$4ci$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21470&group=comp.arch#21470

From: cr88...@gmail.com (BGB)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or
2022.
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:37:21 -0500
 by: BGB - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 07:37 UTC

On 10/18/2021 2:10 PM, JimBrakefield wrote:
> [...]
>> designs ? Costs ? Heat ?
>> Latest build-in USB to try and prevent pci lane usage if possible, connect it via special way ?
>> Latest ethernet build in to try and prevent pci lane usage if possible.
>> 4 sata ports
>> 4 solid state disk ports whatever the latest and fastest tech might be.
>> 8 channel memory to be preferred for maximum memory capacity.
>> 2 10 gigabit network ports, preferably 100 gigabit if possible, at least one would be very nice.
>> HDMI for audio to external receiver would be very nice.
>>
>> Bye for now,
>> Skybuck.
>
> More and more applications (FPGA tools, applications built from source) are recommending 32GB RAM.
> And a flash drive makes a world of difference in load times.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or 2022.

<sl0pj8$nr0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21517&group=comp.arch#21517

From: m.del...@this.bitsnbites.eu (Marcus)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
2022.
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:53:27 +0200
 by: Marcus - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:53 UTC

Den 2021-10-22 kl. 09:37, skrev BGB:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Leading to a bare minimum of 5 pci express slots, preferably 6 for
>>> two futuristic devices.
>>>
>>> They key to building a PC which is ready for the future is in DDR5
>>> and especially PCI Express 5.0 and also number of lanes per slot for
>>> the devices.
>>>
>>> PCI Express 5.0 has total bandwith of 126 GB for a 16 lane, basically
>>> 8 GB/lane. (32x lanes are also possible but is rare in practice).
>>>
>>> For futuristic graphics card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot
>>> For futuristic usb card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot.
>>> For futuristic network card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot.
>>> For future audio card a 1x lane slot should be more than sufficient.
>>> For additional futuristic devices 8x lanes should provide some
>>> bandwidth to give these new devices a try.
>>>
>>> Leading to a motherboard pci express slot design of:
>>> 16x
>>> 16x
>>> 1x
>>> 8x