Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Windows 7 + VMWARE15 + Windows 11 = LOST FILES !
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:43 UTC

I just discovered a problem with windows 7 + vmware15 + windows 11.

Windows 7 home runs on laptop build in harddisk C:
VMWare15 Workstation/Player runs on Windows 7.
Windows 11 leaked version runs on VMWare15 (can be mapped to Z: when offline)
USB Portable Harddisk connected to laptop: E:
Virtual Music Disk is on USB Portable Harddisk: F:

Windows 11's virtual disk image was mapped Z: so it becomes accessible to Windows 7 via VMWare15's mapping feature.

The goal was to copy a "demo" from F: to Z:
(The reason was to run the demo in windows 11 because the demo would not run in windows 7 because python version 3.9 does not run on windows 7.)

I did so by first creating Z:\Test
Then I copied & paste "demo" folder to Z:\Test

I already had a bad feeling about this because of two reasons:
VMWare15 does not know about Windows 11 so how can it know about any possibly new NTFS data structures on disk ?
Windows 7 might be using an older version of NTFS ?!?

Anyway I continued to "trust" Microsoft W7, VMware15 and Microsoft W11 that they somehow found a way to "backwards compatible" copy files from Windows 7 to Windows 11 via VMWare mapping feature.

BUT NOPE. MY HUNCH WAS RIGHT AND MY TRUST BETRAYED.

Something during the copieing process from W7 to W11 went wrong.
When W11 booted in VMWare the copied files were not there.
W11 wanted to repair the W11 disk.
After repairing the W11 disk the files still not there.

THUS THIS IS A SPECTACULAR FAILURE OF WINDOWS AND VMWARE SOFTWARE TO COPY FILES ! (AND WASTE USER TIME WITH DISK REPAIRS fortunately for me just 20 GB W11 disk)

FURTHER MORE THE W11 TOOL PROBABLY DELETED ANY COPIED FILES.

IF USER BELIEVED FILES WERE SAFELY COPIED AND ORIGINALS WERE DELETED BY USER THEN REAL DATA LOSS COULD OCCUR !

Anyway this was just a simply test case for me to see what would happen.
I decided to copy this demo software from W7 to W11 because python 3.9 does not run on W7 that's how I found out of this copieing problem.

Now there are some un-answered questions and this is where you can help out to shine some serious light on this very serious situation:

1. First question on my mind is:

Is this problem/failure repeateably on the "official windows 11 release" which just happened a few days ago ?!?!? Can you repeat the problem ?

2. Second question on my mind is:

Does this problem/failure only occur through virtual machines ? For example W11 running in virtual machine ? Is it maybe a VMWare issue ?

3. Is the failure caused by VMWare15 and if so are higher versions working correctly ?

4. What if a real windows 11 NTFS harddisk is hooked up to an older Windows 7 operating system and the older Windows 7 operating system starts creating and copieing files to W11 NTFS will this cause the same problems ?

5. Could it be USB Portable driver related ?

6. Could it be virtual harddisk VHD related ? (Never had a problem before)
(vmware uses a different file format *.vmsomething)

The windows 11 virtual disk is also on the E: drive/usb portable, this should not matter ?!?!

This is a very suspicious and very alarming situation !

One question which would blow my mind:

7. What happens if it's VICE VERSA ?!?!?

What if real windows 11 os/machine is hooked up to a windows 7 harddisk and files/folders are copied from windows 11 to windows 7, could this NUKE the windows 7 NTFS file system ?!?!?!?

^^^ Now I am starting to worry because this should have been tested ^^^

What is even more alarming is that many companies use VMWare to run virtualized work places and many companies may still be in this situation where Windows 7 still runs on some machines and companies might looking to transition to Windows 11 and thus copieing Windows 7 files to a virtualized windows 11 harddisk is a very real scenerio. Perhaps not via VMWare on W7 so if it is a VMWare issue they would be off the hook, but are there are compatibility problems between these OS-es ?!?!? This has thrown a big cast of a doubt and a big shadow over it ?!?!?

Big question is: Let's suppose it's VMware to blame... Why would VMWare corrupt Windows 11 NTFS file system ?!?!? Doesn't make much sense...
Should it not represent the drive as some harddisk interface ? Thus Microsoft Windows software is fully incharge of the NTFS data structures ?!?!?

I am not sure which software is responsible for this failure. I could be both.

But if it's Microsoft then oh boy ?! holy shit ?! But if it's VMWare then companies also somewhat in danger !

I hopy you all see the seriousness of this.

However experience/history with Windows has learned that when longhorn came out (Windows 7) it also had some massive file system fuck ups and would loose files. Lately reports of Windows 11 losing files were also mentioned on the internet.

So Windows beta/new software has a habit of fucking up file systems and losing files and having copieing problems !

Well I just discovered this one !

I want to get to the bottom of this. I am a big fan of virtual harddisks and I want to know exactly why this problem occured. First time I have seen a copy fail like this.

I only tried it once, but I am confident it was the software that fucked up and it needs to be investigated. I cannot do it alone right now because I dont have newer VMWare versions and I dont have the latest windows 11 version and I dont have the space for it, or maybe on my E: drive there might be some space to try the latest windows 11 release.

But if you already have it you can beat me to the punch and report on your findings.

ANYWAY DO NOT TRY THIS ON REAL WORLD SYSTEMS BECAUSE YOU MAY LOOSE FILES OR DAMAGE YOUR WINDOWS 11 NTFS.

ONLY PERFORM THESE W7 to W11 and W11 to W7 and W7 through VMWare to W11 and vica versa through TEST SYSTEMS !

Report any findings below and you welcome to make some nice youtube videos about it ! If you do then I do ask some credit from you, mention me in your youtube video as the discoverer of this problem and that you read it on usenet/newsgroups/google groups ! So people learn of this news source as well ! ;)

Bye for now,
Skybuck.