From: dchme...@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 05:00:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 05:00 UTC

Where could I lookup information about Slackware, Inc.? I also suppose
it's for-profit, even if no profit is being made from items such as
compact/digital_versatile discs (CDs/DVDs) (but was in past)?
There's a fair bit of libera Internet Relay Chat (IRC) ##slackware
buffoonery (even since days of freenode, but moreso) like one European
chatter (not native English speaker) claiming Slackware isn't or never was
commercial, because doesn't sell official technical support, when
'commercial' just refers to 'commerce', or buying & selling anything at
all including CDs/DVDs (so Slackware at least was commercial for decades)
or arguably even just software/code people download (from servers that
have to be paid for) that many people pay Patrick Volkerding on paypal.com
and patreon.com so he's actually making a modest salary for several/few
years. I'd still call this commercial, despite being paid in a new way
people still receive something useful (despite intangible). Patrick also
sells t-shirts, etc. on cafepress.com, which is commercial, even though
it's not CDs/DVDs. Licenses also don't restrict others selling technical
support, which several do linked on slackware.com.
At least one IRC chatter is (c)rude and attacks other chatters, but
one runs an unofficial Slackware archive, and admitted he's a troll.

Re: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery

<ur1cl0$2big8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2177&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2177

From: alex...@gmail.com (Alexander Grotewohl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 05:17:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alexander Grotewohl - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 05:17 UTC

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 05:00:34 -0000 (UTC), David Chmelik wrote:

> Where could I lookup information about Slackware, Inc.? I also suppose
> it's for-profit, even if no profit is being made from items such as
> compact/digital_versatile discs (CDs/DVDs) (but was in past)?
> There's a fair bit of libera Internet Relay Chat (IRC) ##slackware
> buffoonery (even since days of freenode, but moreso) like one European
> chatter (not native English speaker) claiming Slackware isn't or never
> was commercial, because doesn't sell official technical support, when
> 'commercial' just refers to 'commerce', or buying & selling anything at
> all including CDs/DVDs (so Slackware at least was commercial for
> decades) or arguably even just software/code people download (from
> servers that have to be paid for) that many people pay Patrick
> Volkerding on paypal.com and patreon.com so he's actually making a
> modest salary for several/few years. I'd still call this commercial,
> despite being paid in a new way people still receive something useful
> (despite intangible). Patrick also sells t-shirts, etc. on
> cafepress.com, which is commercial, even though it's not CDs/DVDs.
> Licenses also don't restrict others selling technical support, which
> several do linked on slackware.com.
> At least one IRC chatter is (c)rude and attacks other chatters, but
> one runs an unofficial Slackware archive, and admitted he's a troll.

Perhaps you will be happier in life if you find something better to do
with your time.

Re: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery

<ur1gd1$2c5of$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2178&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2178

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:21:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 06:21 UTC

I would start att www.slackware.com

> I also suppose it's for-profit, even if no profit is being made from
> items such as compact/digital_versatile discs (CDs/DVDs) (but was in
> past)?

In the past it was possible to buy official Slackware installation media
from the Slackware store, but even then, you could also download
installation isos for free.

> Slackware isn't or never was commercial, because doesn't sell official
> technical support, when 'commercial' just refers to 'commerce', or
> buying & selling anything at all including CDs/DVDs (so Slackware at
> least was commercial for decades) or arguably even just software/code
> people download (from servers that have to be paid for) that many
> people pay Patrick Volkerding on paypal.com and patreon.com so he's
> actually making a modest salary for several/few years. I'd still call
> this commercial,

This depends upon your definition of commercial. It has allways been
possible to download, install and upgrade Slackware for free and it has
allways been possible to in different ways support Patrick who spends a
full time maintaining Slackware.

regards Henrik

Re: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery

<ur4cjj$314jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2179&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2179

From: sla...@invalid.invalid (slash)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:34:18 +0100
 by: slash - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:34 UTC

On 2/20/24 06:00, David Chmelik wrote:

<cut of pointless rant>

> At least one IRC chatter is (c)rude and attacks other chatters, but
> one runs an unofficial Slackware archive, and admitted he's a troll.

Oh my God! A troll? On IRC! that's terrible, terrible news! This is the
end for Slackware! ...Wait, I've found one too! Guess where! Oh shit,
I've just fed him!

--
/

Re: Slackware, Inc.? Internet Relay Chat buffoonery

<urmvjk$3ogjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2195&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2195

From: dchme...@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:49:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:49 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:34:18 +0100, slash wrote:
> Oh my God! A troll? On IRC! that's terrible, terrible news! This is the
> end for Slackware! ...Wait, I've found one too! Guess where! Oh shit,
> I've just fed him!

You're why Patrick Volkerding left this newsgroup.