From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Samsung Galaxy S4
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:54:28 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:54 UTC

I only need a cellphone for emergencies such calling a friend help dig me
out of a snow bank, etc. I am 75 years old and I am making out just fine
without a full time cellphone.

I currently carry a Tracfone flip 3G for emergencies. Tracfone is moving
off of 3G and I will need 4G. I have 3,230 minutes I want to make sure I
can move to a new phone so I want to stick with Tracfone. A friend gave me
a Galaxy S4 which would work just fine for emergencies. This phone was used
with AT&T and still has an old disconnected sim in it. I can purchase an
AT&T Tracfone sim card. The phone shows 4G LTE which does not mean anything
to me.

How do I determine if the phone is unlocked?

Will I be able to make phone calls over 4G?
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4

<m0b6lgl4fjecupgfesv9o6iv5vgoh71pkt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21863&group=comp.mobile.android#21863

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:54:14 -0700
 by: croy - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:54 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:54:28 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:

>I only need a cellphone for emergencies such calling a friend help dig me
>out of a snow bank, etc. I am 75 years old and I am making out just fine
>without a full time cellphone.
>
>I currently carry a Tracfone flip 3G for emergencies. Tracfone is moving
>off of 3G and I will need 4G. I have 3,230 minutes I want to make sure I
>can move to a new phone so I want to stick with Tracfone. A friend gave me
>a Galaxy S4 which would work just fine for emergencies. This phone was used
>with AT&T and still has an old disconnected sim in it. I can purchase an
>AT&T Tracfone sim card. The phone shows 4G LTE which does not mean anything
>to me.
>
>How do I determine if the phone is unlocked?
>
>Will I be able to make phone calls over 4G?

I recently walked into a local WalMart, and walked out with an Alcatel Tracphone, with SIM, and
a card for 400 minutes, good for a year, and it all cost me ~$120.

--
croy

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4

<aPf*P1qvy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21919&group=comp.mobile.android#21919

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 29 Sep 2021 10:45:08 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 09:45 UTC

Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
> How do I determine if the phone is unlocked?

Put a Tracfone SIM card in it and see if it asks for an unlock code. If
not, it's unlocked.

> Will I be able to make phone calls over 4G?

It appears the S4 doesn't support VoLTE, which means it falls back to 3G for
voice.

Although there are various versions of the S4 - this is the GT-I9505 which
is the international LTE version. The GT-I9500 doesn't officially support
LTE (but can with a custom ROM, apparently).

Theo

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4

<irjkbdFqki5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21967&group=comp.mobile.android#21967

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:59:23 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:59 UTC

Theo wrote:
> Bill Bradshaw <bradshaw@gci.net> wrote:
>> How do I determine if the phone is unlocked?
>
> Put a Tracfone SIM card in it and see if it asks for an unlock code.
> If not, it's unlocked.
>
>> Will I be able to make phone calls over 4G?
>
> It appears the S4 doesn't support VoLTE, which means it falls back to
> 3G for voice.
>
> Although there are various versions of the S4 - this is the GT-I9505
> which is the international LTE version. The GT-I9500 doesn't
> officially support LTE (but can with a custom ROM, apparently).
>
> Theo

I was able through AT&T to get an unlock code. You cannot use it with an
AT&T sim with it after it is unlocked. Since I am using it as an emergency
phone and it will not be turned on unless needed I put a Verison Tracfone
sim in it. So it is now unlocked but that all the further I am for now. So
this issue may be solved for me.