Mommy, what happens to your files when you die?

computers / comp.misc / Re: self-crashing car

SubjectAuthor
* self-crashing carBen Collver
`* Re: self-crashing carsongbird
 `* Re: self-crashing carEli the Bearded
  `* Re: self-crashing carComputer Nerd Kev
   `* Re: self-crashing carOtto J. Makela
    `* Re: self-crashing carThe Real Bev
     `* Re: self-crashing carSpiros Bousbouras
      +* Re: self-crashing carComputer Nerd Kev
      |`* Re: self-crashing carSpiros Bousbouras
      | `- Re: self-crashing carAdam H. Kerman
      `- Re: self-crashing carScott Dorsey

1
self-crashing car

<slrnts5okb.8hi.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2174&group=comp.misc#2174

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: self-crashing car
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:16:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:16 UTC

"Apparently [Twitter] banned a journalist for reporting on the 8 car
pileup in San Francisco over American Thanksgiving weekend caused by
Tesla's self-driving feature. The Journalist has acquired surveillance
footage that shows the Tesla suddenly swerve to change lanes and then
some to a sudden stop in the middle of the road, on the Bay Bridge,
causing the multi-vehicle accident."

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/

Re: self-crashing car

<a1nb9j-tke.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2175&group=comp.misc#2175

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: self-crashing car
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 17:30:34 -0500
 by: songbird - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 22:30 UTC

Ben Collver wrote:
> "Apparently [Twitter] banned a journalist for reporting on the 8 car
> pileup in San Francisco over American Thanksgiving weekend caused by
> Tesla's self-driving feature. The Journalist has acquired surveillance
> footage that shows the Tesla suddenly swerve to change lanes and then
> some to a sudden stop in the middle of the road, on the Bay Bridge,
> causing the multi-vehicle accident."
>
> https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/

interesting video.

did you notice that the flashing lights off the windows of
the traffic behind the car looked a lot like the flashing
lights of an emergency vehicle?

if the sensors and software were set up to react to that
kind of input as slowing down and pulling to the side to
allow the emergency vehicles to go by safely then that
would make sense of that video.

i would not personally call that "suddenly swerv" ing...

the cause of the accident was the people who were behind
who did not stop fast enough when the vehicle in front of
them slowed and stopped. i suspect the people who would
get a ticket would be the car that hit the Tesla (and any
others that failed to stop in time and hit others).

not that i have anything to do with Tesla or the crash
i just think it interesting to comment upon the video.

songbird

Re: self-crashing car

<eli$2301141856@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2176&group=comp.misc#2176

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:56:17 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:56 UTC

In comp.misc, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
Re: https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/

> interesting video.
>
> did you notice that the flashing lights off the windows of
> the traffic behind the car looked a lot like the flashing
> lights of an emergency vehicle?

I don't see it. I see yellow turn signals that show up as reddish with
that camera, but nothing that looks like flashing emergency lights.

> if the sensors and software were set up to react to that
> kind of input as slowing down and pulling to the side to
> allow the emergency vehicles to go by safely then that
> would make sense of that video.

Very bad choice of stopping location, in the "high speed" side of the
road, just past an exit, just past a curve, and right inside a tunnel.
The road gets wider after the tunnel.

> the cause of the accident was the people who were behind
> who did not stop fast enough when the vehicle in front of
> them slowed and stopped. i suspect the people who would
> get a ticket would be the car that hit the Tesla (and any
> others that failed to stop in time and hit others).

In normal circumstances, yes, the failure to stop in time indicates that
those cars were driving unsafely, either too fast, too close, or not
paying attention. In this particular case, I think the stopped car would
(should) *also* get a ticket for stopping in a no stopping zone. In
other words, multiple people can be at fault.

Elijah
------
has driven the bridge many times but almost never in that lane

Re: self-crashing car

<63c359c7@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2177&group=comp.misc#2177

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 15 Jan 2023 11:41:27 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 01:41 UTC

Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> In comp.misc, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
> Re: https://theintercept.com/2023/01/10/tesla-crash-footage-autopilot/
>
>> the cause of the accident was the people who were behind
>> who did not stop fast enough when the vehicle in front of
>> them slowed and stopped. i suspect the people who would
>> get a ticket would be the car that hit the Tesla (and any
>> others that failed to stop in time and hit others).
>
> In normal circumstances, yes, the failure to stop in time indicates that
> those cars were driving unsafely, either too fast, too close, or not
> paying attention. In this particular case, I think the stopped car would
> (should) *also* get a ticket for stopping in a no stopping zone. In
> other words, multiple people can be at fault.

This article goes into a lot more detail:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2023/01/11/an-8-car-pileup-started-by-a-tesla-in-autopilot-opens-up-many-complex-issues/

"Tesla's phantom braking problem hasn't caused many reported
accidents, but that changes if the braking happens during or right
after a lane change. While normally, in a rear-end collision, the
car behind is considered always at fault, one exception occurs when
somebody cuts in front of you too close, and you can't brake in
time. That's the fault of the forward car. Indeed, the police cited
the driver of the Tesla for an "unsafe lane change." The cars in
the back that did hit other cars were cited for following too
closely/excessive speed and thus going to fast with stopped cars
ahead."

P.S. I knew I recognised the name of that article's author from
somewhere: He's the, unfortunately absent, moderator of
rec.humor.funny. I guess he found that writing articles for
Forbes is a more profitable use of his time.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: self-crashing car

<87fsc8cnfk.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2185&group=comp.misc#2185

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:27:27 +0200
 by: Otto J. Makela - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 07:27 UTC

not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

> P.S. I knew I recognised the name of that article's author from
> somewhere: He's the, unfortunately absent, moderator of
> rec.humor.funny. I guess he found that writing articles for
> Forbes is a more profitable use of his time.

Interestingly, same reaction from me.
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Re: self-crashing car

<tqfien$2arfi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2193&group=comp.misc#2193

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:25:27 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:25 UTC

On 1/17/23 11:27 PM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:
>
>> P.S. I knew I recognised the name of that article's author from
>> somewhere: He's the, unfortunately absent, moderator of
>> rec.humor.funny. I guess he found that writing articles for
>> Forbes is a more profitable use of his time.
>
> Interestingly, same reaction from me.

I miss rec.humor.funny. Captain Nitpick especially.

--
Cheers, Bev
...so few snipers, so many politicians...

Re: self-crashing car

<aSRpvfwXPpiIz1ck+@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2197&group=comp.misc#2197

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 15:14:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 15:14 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:25:27 -0800
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> I miss rec.humor.funny. Captain Nitpick especially.

What's wrong with it ? Because
Subject: List of Big Eight Newsgroups
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,news.lists.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:00:04 -0800

mentions it. If submitted posts just get lost then there is a formal process
for finding a new moderator , you can ask on news.groups .

Re: self-crashing car

<63cdb13b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2204&group=comp.misc#2204

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 23 Jan 2023 07:57:16 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 21:57 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:25:27 -0800
>> I miss rec.humor.funny. Captain Nitpick especially.
>
> What's wrong with it ? Because
> Subject: List of Big Eight Newsgroups
> Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,news.lists.misc
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:00:04 -0800
>
> mentions it. If submitted posts just get lost then there is a formal process
> for finding a new moderator , you can ask on news.groups .

Ahh, in March last year you yourself posted in the Moderator Vacancy
Investigation thread at news.groups.proposals, which was originally
started in 2010 ("Moderator Vacancy Investigation: rec.humor.funny
and rec.humor.funny.reruns"). So after more than twelve years,
apparantly a new moderator is still being sought.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: self-crashing car

<hfFXFLJgGdi2JQIxZ@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2206&group=comp.misc#2206

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.groups
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 05:28:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 05:28 UTC

On 23 Jan 2023 07:57:16 +1000
not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:
> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:25:27 -0800
> >> I miss rec.humor.funny. Captain Nitpick especially.
> >
> > What's wrong with it ? Because
> > Subject: List of Big Eight Newsgroups
> > Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,news.lists.misc
> > Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:00:04 -0800
> >
> > mentions it. If submitted posts just get lost then there is a formal process
> > for finding a new moderator , you can ask on news.groups .
>
> Ahh, in March last year you yourself posted in the Moderator Vacancy
> Investigation thread at news.groups.proposals, which was originally
> started in 2010 ("Moderator Vacancy Investigation: rec.humor.funny
> and rec.humor.funny.reruns"). So after more than twelve years,
> apparantly a new moderator is still being sought.

Wow , I had forgotten about that , thanks. So then why hasn't the process of
removal of rec.humor.funny and rec.humor.funny.reruns started ? As you
said in that thread in
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:25:15 CST
From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: news.groups.proposals
Subject: Re: Moderator Vacancy Investigation: rec.humor.funny and rec.humor.funny.reruns

I agree that there is little point in deleting unmoderated groups,
but leaving these non-functional moderated groups around as little
black holes swallowing up new posts will only serve to force people
(especially new users) to the conclusion that Usenet is not only
dead, but also broken.

Re: self-crashing car

<tql87u$3glr7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2207&group=comp.misc#2207

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 06:07:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 06:07 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 23 Jan 2023 07:57:16 +1000
>not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:
>> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 18:25:27 -0800
>> >
>> > What's wrong with it ? Because
>> > Subject: List of Big Eight Newsgroups
>> > Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,news.lists.misc
>> > Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:00:04 -0800
>> >
>> > mentions it. If submitted posts just get lost then there is a formal process
>> > for finding a new moderator , you can ask on news.groups .
>>
>> Ahh, in March last year you yourself posted in the Moderator Vacancy
>> Investigation thread at news.groups.proposals, which was originally
>> started in 2010 ("Moderator Vacancy Investigation: rec.humor.funny
>> and rec.humor.funny.reruns"). So after more than twelve years,
>> apparantly a new moderator is still being sought.
>
>Wow , I had forgotten about that , thanks. So then why hasn't the process of
>removal of rec.humor.funny and rec.humor.funny.reruns started ? As you
>said in that thread in
> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:25:15 CST
> From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
> Newsgroups: news.groups.proposals
> Subject: Re: Moderator Vacancy Investigation: rec.humor.funny and
>rec.humor.funny.reruns
>
> I agree that there is little point in deleting unmoderated groups,
> but leaving these non-functional moderated groups around as little
> black holes swallowing up new posts will only serve to force people
> (especially new users) to the conclusion that Usenet is not only
> dead, but also broken.

What new users? I've cut your stupid crosspost.

Re: self-crashing car

<tqngoc$rfp$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2212&group=comp.misc#2212

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 24 Jan 2023 02:45:32 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 02:45 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

>mentions it. If submitted posts just get lost then there is a formal process
>for finding a new moderator , you can ask on news.groups .

Yes, that process has been going on for 12 years now. It was started soon
after Maddi left.
--scott