From: rob...@robpc4.robk-home.org (Robert Komar)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: linux questions
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:00:22 -0500
 by: Robert Komar - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 15:00 UTC

I keep the slackware page at linuxquestions.org open in my browser, and
regularly refresh it to follow the discussions there. I've noticed that
the ads keep getting more and more intrusive there. It has gotten to
the point that it is hard to follow the topics because they are getting
obscured. The ad layout is also constantly changing, meaning that
someone is regularly messing with it. I'm getting annoyed enough to
stop trying to follow the threads there, and a little worried that
the site is on its last legs in terms of funding. Anyone else feel
like venting about that?

Cheers,
Rob Komar

Re: linux questions

<slrnutpgat.3jg.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2188&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2188

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: linux questions
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:56:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:56 UTC

On 2024-02-26, Robert Komar <robk@robpc4.robk-home.org> wrote:
> I keep the slackware page at linuxquestions.org open in my browser, and
> regularly refresh it to follow the discussions there. I've noticed that
> the ads keep getting more and more intrusive there. It has gotten to
> the point that it is hard to follow the topics because they are getting
> obscured. The ad layout is also constantly changing, meaning that
> someone is regularly messing with it. I'm getting annoyed enough to
> stop trying to follow the threads there, and a little worried that
> the site is on its last legs in terms of funding. Anyone else feel
> like venting about that?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob Komar

Viewing the source, i do see a <script> tag for adsbygoogle.js but i am
not seeing any ads in Firefox with no extensions. Not sure why we are
having different experiences.

Have you tried an ad blocker? I have had good experience with a
combination of Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, and uMatrix (aka eMatrix).

-Ben

Re: linux questions

<urigtk$2l7nf$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2190&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2190

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:14:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:14 UTC

Robert Komar <robk@robpc4.robk-home.org> wrote:
> I keep the slackware page at linuxquestions.org open in my browser,
> and regularly refresh it to follow the discussions there. I've
> noticed that the ads keep getting more and more intrusive there. It
> has gotten to the point that it is hard to follow the topics because
> they are getting obscured. The ad layout is also constantly
> changing, meaning that someone is regularly messing with it. I'm
> getting annoyed enough to stop trying to follow the threads there,
> and a little worried that the site is on its last legs in terms of
> funding. Anyone else feel like venting about that?

Install an ad blocker (Ublock Origin) and the ads will go away from
your viewpoint.

Re: linux questions

<binvak-t6k.ln1@robpc4.robk-home.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2191&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2191

From: rob...@robpc4.robk-home.org (Robert Komar)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:39:07 -0500
 by: Robert Komar - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:39 UTC

Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
> On 2024-02-26, Robert Komar <robk@robpc4.robk-home.org> wrote:
>> I keep the slackware page at linuxquestions.org open in my browser, and
>> regularly refresh it to follow the discussions there. I've noticed that
>> the ads keep getting more and more intrusive there. It has gotten to
>> the point that it is hard to follow the topics because they are getting
>> obscured. The ad layout is also constantly changing, meaning that
>> someone is regularly messing with it. I'm getting annoyed enough to
>> stop trying to follow the threads there, and a little worried that
>> the site is on its last legs in terms of funding. Anyone else feel
>> like venting about that?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob Komar
>
> Viewing the source, i do see a <script> tag for adsbygoogle.js but i am
> not seeing any ads in Firefox with no extensions. Not sure why we are
> having different experiences.
>
> Have you tried an ad blocker? I have had good experience with a
> combination of Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, and uMatrix (aka eMatrix).
>
> -Ben

I don't use an ad blocker. I don't care about the bandwidth being used,
and I would rather sites got some revenue and kept going than just
disappear. I guess I could block the ads, but it wouldn't help their
situation if the site was actually struggling to pay for bandwidth.

My ancient eeepc netbook struggles mightily with websites, though, so
I was thinking I'd give an ad blocker a shot on that device.

Rob

Re: linux questions

<urrsi8$13k2e$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2199&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2199

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:28:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:28 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:39:07 -0500, Robert Komar wrote:
> I don't use an ad blocker. I don't care about the bandwidth being used,
> and I would rather sites got some revenue and kept going than just
> disappear.

I don't suffer from ads at all at linuxquestions.org. My trick is to be
logged in to my free account there. As a logged in user you don't suffer
from any ads.

regards Henrik

Re: linux questions

<slrnuu3tud.3cq.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2202&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2202

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:49:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:49 UTC

On 2024-03-01, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:39:07 -0500, Robert Komar wrote:
>> I don't use an ad blocker. I don't care about the bandwidth being used,
>> and I would rather sites got some revenue and kept going than just
>> disappear.
>
> I don't suffer from ads at all at linuxquestions.org. My trick is to be
> logged in to my free account there. As a logged in user you don't suffer
> from any ads.
>
> regards Henrik

Thanks for the reminder! That must be why i am not seeing any ads in
Firefox with no ad blockers, as i reported in an earlier post.

Re: linux questions

<ur99bk-70f.ln1@robpc4.robk-home.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2203&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2203

From: rob...@robpc4.robk-home.org (Robert Komar)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:46:38 -0500
 by: Robert Komar - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:46 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:39:07 -0500, Robert Komar wrote:
>> I don't use an ad blocker. I don't care about the bandwidth being used,
>> and I would rather sites got some revenue and kept going than just
>> disappear.
>
> I don't suffer from ads at all at linuxquestions.org. My trick is to be
> logged in to my free account there. As a logged in user you don't suffer
> from any ads.
>
> regards Henrik

I am also logged in there, but the ads keep coming. Maybe it's a
cookie problem, or something like that. Anyway, it's good to
know that not everyone sees the same behaviour; it tells me
that the site is probably not in its fiscal death throws.

Rob