From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use model for Android & for iOS
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 01:08:28 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:08 UTC

A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic)
use model for Android & for iOS

All good ideas require a bit of intelligence, given marketing is
perfectly happy to lead the ignorant sheep to slaughter with their
pre-packaged oh-so-easy formulas which require you to surrender your
*money* and *privacy*

A. What do you generally need for routing while driving?
B. What are some decent free apps for that purpose?
C. How is your privacy protected?

A. *What do you generally need most for routing while driving?*
a. Address lookup (and maybe POIs)
b. Routing determined & monitored (and maybe corrected)
c. Traffic scanned (and maybe reflected in the routing)

B. *What are some decent free apps for that purpose?*
a. Google maps & Apple maps can do routing but privacy is impacted
b. Both do excellent address lookups though (and POIs too)
c. Add an offline free map app (such as OSMAnd+) and you win big time

C. *How is your privacy protected?*
a. There is never a need to log into Google for anything
(unfortunately, you can't seriously use iOS without an Apple ID)
b. The address lookup can be done by a multitude of ways from the web
(or from the Google or Apple maps lookup, which is accurate)
c. Traffic is available from a variety of web apps sans tracking

In summary, I use a privacy aware model that gets the traffic from any
number of local web sites (911.org, sigalert, caltrans, etc.) and which
gets the all-important address lookup (and POIs) from a web search (or,
if necessary, from a Google Maps or Apple Maps quick search)...

And then...

I route to that objective using a free offline registration free app
(which, often is OSMAnd+ but others exist such as Mapfactor Navigator).

While I agree this is more work than surrendering your privacy to Google or
to Apple, it's just as accurate and it has advantages that it works mostly
offline (for the constantly re-adjusting routing part anyway).

Let me know if you need/want more detail, as we've discussed this in the
past when we tested all the free map & traffic & address lookup apps.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully outline a privacy aware routing proc.

Re: A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use model for Android & for iOS

<280320231912319411%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2216&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2216

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 19:12:31 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:12 UTC

In article <tvvs0r$t88r$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> A. What do you generally need for routing while driving?

a copilot

Re: A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use model for Android & for iOS

<u00tbs$71g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2220&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2220

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: A free privacy aware road map
(driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use model for Android & for iOS
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:37:05 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:37 UTC

nospam wrote:
> In article <tvvs0r$t88r$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
> <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> A. What do you generally need for routing while driving?
>
> a copilot

I need always to ignore my sister's comments. She always gets us lost. (:-

Ed