From: mar...@burmester.org (Martin Burmester)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: inn: unbuffered log
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:09:14 +0200
 by: Martin Burmester - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 22:09 UTC

Hi,

what is the cost of setting the inn flag -u and having the news log
unbuffered in this day and age (modern cpu, fast ssd storage, etc.)?
Does it really make a difference?

Cheers
Martin

Re: inn: unbuffered log

<8735qcnfsz.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=223&group=news.software.nntp#223

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: inn: unbuffered log
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:58:52 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:58 UTC

Martin Burmester <martin@burmester.org> writes:

> what is the cost of setting the inn flag -u and having the news log
> unbuffered in this day and age (modern cpu, fast ssd storage, etc.)?
> Does it really make a difference?

It doesn't matter much to CPU; it's all about the relatively high cost of
persisting small amounts of data to storage instead of writing larger
blocks of data at a time.

A fast SSD will mitigate any performance problems but I'm not sure it will
remove them. That said, I haven't tested.

Personally, I would also not want to increase the number of write cycles
to an SSD unless there's some compelling reason, but this may just be
superstition on my part. (As recently as 2019 I was still seeing
excessive write traffic cause server-grade SSDs to fail significantly
before their expected lifetime.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.