"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

devel / comp.arch / Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

SubjectAuthor
* Hardware assist for Log4j problems?JimBrakefield
+- Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?MitchAlsup
+- Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?Stephen Fuld
+* Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?MitchAlsup
|+- Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?Guillaume
|`- Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?Stephen Fuld
`- Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?Theo Markettos

1
Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<7b3f7310-120d-4386-8097-c35ab8c5d834n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22297&group=comp.arch#22297

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:38:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?
From: jim.brak...@ieee.org (JimBrakefield)
 by: JimBrakefield - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:38 UTC

Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications? E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<4371af4f-8784-48ba-a7ff-6d6c1002088fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22299&group=comp.arch#22299

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:06:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?
From: MitchAl...@aol.com (MitchAlsup)
 by: MitchAlsup - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:06 UTC

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 2:38:56 PM UTC-6, JimBrakefield wrote:
> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications? E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?
<
You could provide an OS-level service that allows said observer to read the
CPU-cycle-counter of a specified task, or read what queue the task is residing.
I don't see HW doing anything here.
<
Whether the observer can do anything about it is an entirely other problem.
<
But what are you expecting to happen when a task happens to be "inactive" for 7 days
between runs ? 30 days ? 365 days ? And even here the task is performing "as desired" !
<
Now, if you go all pedantic:: it is possible to connect some observer to machine checks
that happen on a specified set of tasks by a combination of HW (machine check) and
SW (routing to observer). {You could also do this for a set of exceptions, too.

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<spdsib$s15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22300&group=comp.arch#22300

From: sfu...@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid (Stephen Fuld)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:08:59 -0800
 by: Stephen Fuld - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:08 UTC

On 12/15/2021 12:38 PM, JimBrakefield wrote:
> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications? E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?

Even if you could monitor another thread, how could you tell that it had
"problems"? i,e, what would you look for and how would you prevent
false positives?

--
- Stephen Fuld

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<a2cc81b2-6525-4d7e-9a3c-88079807caa0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22302&group=comp.arch#22302

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:39:45 -0800 (PST)
From: MitchAl...@aol.com (MitchAlsup)
 by: MitchAlsup - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:39 UTC

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 2:38:56 PM UTC-6, JimBrakefield wrote:
> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications?
<
Consider the plight of the non-root users who do not have the capability of even
figuring out if they are running log4j, which applications are affected, and how
to shut them down ?
<
> E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?
<
What makes you think this poorly written piece of SW needs some kind of HW support ?
<
Also note:: another vote against the "security" delivered by Java.....

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<dPf*pJTBy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22304&group=comp.arch#22304

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo Markettos)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: 16 Dec 2021 16:03:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo Markettos - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:03 UTC

JimBrakefield <jim.brakefield@ieee.org> wrote:
> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that
> would look for compromised applications? E.g. what can be done in
> hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for
> "problems"?

Some of my colleagues have proposed adding additional cores for this:
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~tmj32/papers/docs/ainsworth20-asplos.pdf

But, as mentioned, the problem boils down to how you can detect compromised
applications, rather than the mechanism for do so. In this case the
compromise was downloading and executing code from the internet - by the
time the code (which was Java bytecode rather than CPU instructions) hit the
CPU its provenance of being sourced from the internet was long lost.

There's work about provenance tracking based on memory tags:
http://ic.ese.upenn.edu/pdf/pump_hasp2014.pdf

which in theory might have caught that (MacOS for example has metadata on
files as to whether they came from the internet), but only if someone
followed through on a suitable policy. And it's not clear that such a
policy wouldn't have false positives.

(paying 100% overhead for every pointer would also get a ...certain
degree... of pushback from CPU vendors, apart from in niche applications)

Theo

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<spfsf2$1erm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22305&group=comp.arch#22305

From: mess...@bottle.org (Guillaume)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 18:19:16 +0100
 by: Guillaume - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:19 UTC

Le 16/12/2021 à 01:39, MitchAlsup a écrit :
> On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 2:38:56 PM UTC-6, JimBrakefield wrote:
>> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications?
> <
> Consider the plight of the non-root users who do not have the capability of even
> figuring out if they are running log4j, which applications are affected, and how
> to shut them down ?

Indeed.

>> E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?
> <
> What makes you think this poorly written piece of SW needs some kind of HW support ?

Very funny proposal indeed.

> Also note:: another vote against the "security" delivered by Java.....

Yes, that's a whole topic in itself.
But the "fun" part here is the ubiquitous use of libraries without
actually knowing what they really do. Very concerning. (Oh and don't get
me started on the obsession for logging that most Java developers seem
to have. It's amazing. They'll just want to log whatever they can, just
in case it proves useful. In many cases, it ends up being a resource
hog, or even a security threat as in this case, and the overall
usefulness of logging everything without giving it a second thought is
more that dubious.)

Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?

<spij5d$1vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22319&group=comp.arch#22319

From: sfu...@alumni.cmu.edu.invalid (Stephen Fuld)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:59:09 -0800
 by: Stephen Fuld - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:59 UTC

On 12/15/2021 4:39 PM, MitchAlsup wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 2:38:56 PM UTC-6, JimBrakefield wrote:
>> Would it make sense for there to be connections between two threads that would look for compromised applications?
> <
> Consider the plight of the non-root users who do not have the capability of even
> figuring out if they are running log4j, which applications are affected, and how
> to shut them down ?
> <
>> E.g. what can be done in hardware to allow one thread to monitor another thread or process for "problems"?
> <
> What makes you think this poorly written piece of SW needs some kind of HW support ?
> <
> Also note:: another vote against the "security" delivered by Java.....

And a vote against the "security" delivered by open source software. :=(

--
- Stephen Fuld

devel / comp.arch / Re: Hardware assist for Log4j problems?