Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A clarifying service post: The truth about Peter Olcott, Ben
Bacarisse, Richard Damon, and many other posters.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:45 UTC

There has been a prolonged discussion about Peter Olcott's obviously highly flawed posts about the halting problem.

In case any visitors to comp.theory think that these posters are doing anything but pursuing their own amusement, you are highly encouraged to view this thread:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.theory/c/UCpQ0VJ8msU

Please pay particular attention to my posts (I post as "DV").

Although their activity is not illegal as far as I know, it is very important for posters who may be familiar with these individuals, and who may have drawn conclusions to the effect of that "these posters are doing some sort of noble, cryptic, service-related activity," it should be made clear that this false. These posters are here for their own amusement and nothing more.

Their long drawn-out discussion about the halting problem is a thinly veiled years-long metaphorical poker game, adding no value to the world, except that they amuse themselves.

I am indeed grateful for the handful of amicable enough posts that have been directed at me; I almost never get to socialize, and I do like it when people will talk to me. Nevertheless, it is important to indicate that the motives of these posters has literally nothing to do with real service. Please don't be confused about that.

devel / comp.theory / A clarifying service post: The truth about Peter Olcott, Ben Bacarisse, Richard Damon, and many other posters.