"We don't have to protect the environment -- the Second Coming is at hand." -- James Watt

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

SubjectAuthor
* There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a singlAndy Burnelli
+- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android -Alan
+* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already onbadgolferman
|+- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android -sms
|+* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sKen Blake
||`- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already onbadgolferman
|`* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sbadgolferman
|  +* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a snospam
|  |`- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli
|  +- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli
|  `* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android -sms
|   +* Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a snospam
|   |+- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already onBob Campbell
|   |`- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli
|   `- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli
`- Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a sAndy Burnelli

1
There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0kln4$6lba$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2245&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2245

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 21:29:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 20:29 UTC

Can the iKooks back up their claims with even a _single_ fact?
Or are all the iKooks' belief systems completely imaginary?

Let's see, shall we?

My belief system, which, can be disproved with a _single_ fact) is..
a. Because Apple severely constrains the app choice on iOS
b. And because Google can't (even though Google would love to)
c. And, because developers provide most app functionality

MY ASTUTE HYPOTHESIS:
There will _never_ be any app functionality on iOS not on Android
(which works on the device, all by its itty bitty self, and which
therefore doesn't require a five thousand dollar PC to work, nor
which requires a billion dollars of cloud servers just to work).

Let's give the iKooks the chance to disprove that statement, Shall we?

Note: I'm not afraid of fact. I'd _welcome_ if they could disprove it.
But they never have yet. Let's give them another chance, shall we?

nospam wrote:

> and vice versa, many of which are impossible on android because the
> hardware and/or software frameworks do not exist.

All you iKooks own the brain of a small child. It's _why_ you're iKooks.
*That statement proves these strange iKooks live in make-believe land*...

Instead of pasting a paragraph filled with Apple branding trademarks,
nospam, and instead of you fabricating imaginary make-believe
functionality, nospam, why can't you post a URL to a _single_ app on the
Apple App Store whose functionality isn't available to Android.

That app needs to work on the iPhone, all by its itty bitty self, in that
it can't require a five thousand dollar mac in order for it to work, not
billions of dollars in iCloud servers for the simple app to work, nospam.

Point to a _single_ app URL on the Apple App Store that *YOU CLAIM* has
basic useful functionality (all by its itty bitty self, nospam), that
Android lacks.
*URL TO APPLE APP STORE APP FROM NOSPAM GOES HERE*

Here, I'll go first: This is free mock gps lockation spoofing...
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps>

I'll even do another: This is graphical wi-fi cellular signal strength:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z>

Heck, I'll do one more: This is automatic call recording, nospam:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.giga_recorderapp.callrecording>

That's three app functionalities, which don't require the entire Internet
and which don't require an expensive desktop to work, nospam.
1. Fake GPS Location Spoofing
2. Cellular/Wi-Fi Graphical Signal-Strength Debugging
3. Automatic Call Recording

Now it's your turn, nospam.
Can you back up your claim or not, nospam.

Show us whether your belief system based on _one_ provable fact, or not.

*Back up your make-believe imaginary belief system with a single URL*.
*ALL WE NEED IS ON URL TO AN APPLE APP STORE APP FROM NOSPAM TO GO HERE*

If you can't find a _single_ app in the entire iOS app store, then that's
proof positive that your belief system is completely imaginary, nospam.
--
All you iKooks own the brain of a small child. It's _why_ you're iKooks.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0klr4$s4t$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2246&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2246

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android -
not even a single app - not even one
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:31:32 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 20:31 UTC

On 2023-04-05 13:29, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Can the iKooks back up their claims with even a _single_ fact?
> Or are all the iKooks' belief systems completely imaginary?
>
> Let's see, shall we?
>
> My belief system

So you've stated something that is only a "belief system" you have...

....despite your many claims that you post "only facts".

Got it.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0kt72$24kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2247&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2247

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on
Android - not even a single app - not even one
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:37:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tvEl3ZDLHVZ+YvEOVrWlSUUIxf0=
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:37 UTC

Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Heck, I'll do one more: This is automatic call recording, nospam:
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.giga_recorderapp.callrecording>
>
> That's three app functionalities, which don't require the entire Internet
> and which don't require an expensive desktop to work, nospam.
> 1. Fake GPS Location Spoofing
> 2. Cellular/Wi-Fi Graphical Signal-Strength Debugging
> 3. Automatic Call Recording
>
> Now it's your turn, nospam.
> Can you back up your claim or not, nospam.
>
> Show us whether your belief system based on _one_ provable fact, or not.
>
> *Back up your make-believe imaginary belief system with a single URL*.
> *ALL WE NEED IS ON URL TO AN APPLE APP STORE APP FROM NOSPAM TO GO HERE*
>
> If you can't find a _single_ app in the entire iOS app store, then that's
> proof positive that your belief system is completely imaginary, nospam.

There are two things on iOS which I wonder if Android can do. I don’t know
and am asking you Arlen.

My hearing aids can be controlled by built in iOS functionality, and iOS
actually can do much more than the Signia app which comes with it. I was
told by the audiologist at the VA that this can’t be done in Android.

iOS also has the Shortcuts app which allows you to program several steps to
be performed by one icon. For example I have set up two Shortcuts to
automatically switch my phone between 5G and LTE without having to go
through the Settings submenus. Just tap the icon and it does all the rest.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0l02g$2fpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2248&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2248

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
not even a single app - not even one
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 16:26:07 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 23:26 UTC

On 4/5/2023 3:37 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> There are two things on iOS which I wonder if Android can do. I don’t know
> and am asking you Arlen.
>
> My hearing aids can be controlled by built in iOS functionality, and iOS
> actually can do much more than the Signia app which comes with it. I was
> told by the audiologist at the VA that this can’t be done in Android.
>
> iOS also has the Shortcuts app which allows you to program several steps to
> be performed by one icon. For example I have set up two Shortcuts to
> automatically switch my phone between 5G and LTE without having to go
> through the Settings submenus. Just tap the icon and it does all the rest.

1. On Android there is no option to turn the speakerphone on by default.
There is an app that can do this on older versions of Android but it
doesn't work beginning with Android 11.

2. No 5G n53 band (Globalstar).

3. No Bluetooth audio sharing (except Samsung S, Z, and Note devices).

4. Place and receive phone calls on computer or tablet.

5. Act as an Air Tag when turned off.

6. MagSafe.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<us2s2idq4h4ksvp07vqm42t5ornebtc6td@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2249&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2249

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 17:04:00 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 00:04 UTC

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:37:22 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
<REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

>My hearing aids can be controlled by built in iOS functionality, and iOS
>actually can do much more than the Signia app which comes with it. I was
>told by the audiologist at the VA that this can’t be done in Android.

I don't know what hearing aids you have, but mine (Philips, bought at
Costco) can be controlled by my Android phone (not built-in; I had to
install the program)

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0l47n$35kl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2250&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2250

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Android - not even a single app - not even one
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 00:37:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XwnnW0VavtiuMeThscA+lcazrS4=
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 00:37 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:37:22 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
> <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My hearing aids can be controlled by built in iOS functionality, and iOS
>> actually can do much more than the Signia app which comes with it. I was
>> told by the audiologist at the VA that this can’t be done in Android.
>

> I don't know what hearing aids you have, but mine (Philips, bought at
> Costco) can be controlled by my Android phone (not built-in; I had to
> install the program)

I have Signia hearing aids and the Signia app will control them, but the
Accessibility feature in iOS can do so much more than the app can. I can
control incoming calls and have them go directly to the hearing aids, Live
Talk allows me to hand my phone over to someone and let them talk into that
so I can hear them (useful in noisy environments like restaurants), and
several other features. All controlled by the Control Center or triple
tapping the Lock button.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0lfsh$ds3r$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2251&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2251

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 04:56:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 03:56 UTC

badgolferman wrote:
> My hearing aids can be controlled by built in iOS functionality, and iOS
> actually can do much more than the Signia app which comes with it. I was
> told by the audiologist at the VA that this can't be done in Android.

Hi badgolferman,

I can speak with you like I would with any normal adult, without having to
dumb down the messaging and without having to avoid making you click on
reference links which is something iKooks can never seem able to do.

I saw you brought up hearing aid annoyances in the past, for iOS:
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/vogWO4QfcTk/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Jeu13kCz1dk/>

And others also have brought up their issues with hearing aids on iOS:
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/YZzj_soVqfU/>

Here's a summary written about two years ago answering your HA question.
*What is the difference between iOS & Android hearing aid support?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/WSZIMsCNTek/>

> sms wrote:
> 1. On Android there is no option to turn the speakerphone on by default.
> There is an app that can do this on older versions of Android but it
> doesn't work beginning with Android 11.

I'm glad Steve pitched in because he, like I (and unlike the iKooks),
owns and uses both platforms, so if I were you, I'd trust Steve over nospam.

I concur with Steve that there is a manual method and an automated method
so the functionality exists on Android but not on every Android out there.

I've used the exact method Steve advises, for years, for example, but it
stopped working on the newer Android phones (for some phones, it's manual).
*Auto Speaker* by HH Group, In-app purchases
Free, ad free, gsf free, 3.5 star 4.1K reviews 500K+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hanan.android.ramkol>

> iOS also has the Shortcuts app which allows you to program several steps to
> be performed by one icon.

You've used the shortcuts feature of iOS since its inception, badgolferman.
*shortcuts and brightness*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/goAzlyNh8a0/>
*ios shortcuts*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Tu9pA2fR08A/>

Where you'll notice you asked a similar question of me even way back then.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/goAzlyNh8a0/m/r7QpJ6blAAAJ>

We've had this discussion in gory detail regarding iOS shortcuts versus
Android shortcuts, so let's just say Apple is mostly bullshitting people.
*Does the iPhone have the capability to create shortcuts to ANY activity?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/LfRDRADCLkQ/>

Android is basically wide-open Linux, so you can program and script almost
anything possible, with a variety of native, free & payware applications.
*Share what you do with Tasker that you find useful on Android*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/1yWpJazRzZQ/>

*Do you use Android IFTTT freeware to automate tasks & connections?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/HvEyTXPXy1I/>

*Home Automation Without Internet...local android?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/z1kxlE0YkUE/>

> For example I have set up two Shortcuts to automatically switch my phone
> between 5G and LTE without having to go through the Settings submenus.

As for switching between frequencies, we've covered that also, but I'm no
expert on this topic - but I doubt anyone else here is any better, but
let's hope they can find better references than I found for you below.

*What apps do you use to ensure radio transceivers are off?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/KwKNxqcO7ho/>

*What apps do you use to ensure radio transceivers are off?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/34_HX0fFWdI/>

*How do you easily tell which network is being used?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/1MplM9SPHRo/>

*What do you look for in "bands" available on your phone?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/m8UfcgeWT2A/>

*What cell tower am I connectred to*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/0gQmj3dQWTc/>

> Just tap the icon and it does all the rest.

Suffice to say the automation available on Android is vast, badgolferman.
*WIP Tutorial: Opening Android intents & activities, working syntax & beginner examples*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/dj1OYyp6FOI/>

Since you're an actual adult, you'll click on those links, where I
know iKooks are incapable of bringing themselves to that much effort.

Suffice to say those are just the _beginner_ examples, badgolferman.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully answer badgolferman's questions.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<xn0o09q0k9wvlh8000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2252&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2252

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:31:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:31 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> [...]
>
>*How do you easily tell which network is being used?*
><https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/1MplM9SPHRo/>
> *What do you look for in "bands" available on your phone?*
><https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/m8UfcgeWT2A/>
>
>*What cell tower am I connectred to*
><https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/0gQmj3dQWTc/>
>
>>Just tap the icon and it does all the rest.
>
>Suffice to say the automation available on Android is vast,
>badgolferman. *WIP Tutorial: Opening Android intents & activities,
>working syntax & beginner examples*
><https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/dj1OYyp6FOI/>
>
>Since you're an actual adult, you'll click on those links, where I
>know iKooks are incapable of bringing themselves to that much effort.
>
>Suffice to say those are just the beginner examples, badgolferman.

Thanks Arlen, I had forgotten that these had been brought up before. I
have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS,
but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
features of iOS hearing aid support. Manufacturer apps just don't seem
to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level, but
admittedly my sample size is only one...

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<060420230951308079%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2253&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2253

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 09:51:30 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 13:51 UTC

In article <xn0o09q0k9wvlh8000@reader443.eternal-september.org>,
badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Arlen, I had forgotten that these had been brought up before. I
> have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS,

it can't.

> but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
> Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
> features of iOS hearing aid support. Manufacturer apps just don't seem
> to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level, but
> admittedly my sample size is only one...

that's because hardware manufacturers generally are not good at writing
software, even with some of the larger companies who have the budget to
do so, with camera companies being one of the more common examples.

if their apps are cross-platform, they are limited to features common
between both and ignore anything unique on only one platform.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0mo4l$i22s$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2254&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2254

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:23:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:23 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

> I had forgotten that these had been brought up before.

Hi badgolferman,

As always, a conversation with you is normal, so you can accept that I have
knowledge flaws, where I want to openly and publicly admit I do NOT claim
to be all that knowledgeable on the automation or hearing aid issues you
brought up - nor their differences between platforms - which is exactly why
I searched first and which is why most of my prior post was references.

Since all threads are for the benefit of everyone, so all learn more,
the trick is to search using the permanent dejagoogle Usenet archives:
<https://groups.google.com/g/<name.of.archive>

For example:
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.ipad>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

> I have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS

Again, admitting a flaw to you doesn't open us all to a circus of the
iKooks' idiotic first-insult-that-comes-into-their-tiny-brains never-ending
kindergarten taunts, where I'll repeat I haven't delved all that much into
the Android automation, not the least of the reasons being I haven't found
any good tutorials of the like of my canonical "hello world" tutorials.

Also, most articles on Android automation use the canonical Tasker, which I
won't use because it isn't free and therefore not of general use to me.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm>

To be clear, there are freeware solutions, such as ifft, but as I recall in
my testing (which was only brief, so it must have failed the three strikes
rule), both ifft & Automate suffer from other ills (e.g., login account).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate>

I simply know that Android automation is vast, whereas I know Apple well
enough to assume Apple only advertises that it has anything that it says.

> but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
> Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
> features of iOS hearing aid support.

I'm not going to disbelieve you, badgolferman, as I do not have a hearing
aid so I'm completely unfamiliar with hearing aid functionality - which -
again - is why my prior post resorted to pointing you to the references.

I generally don't use the Google Play Store to get my apps, nor to do a
search for apps (because it sucks compared to the FOSS Google Play Store
searches) but I just ran a simple "hearing aids" search and this came up:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hearing%20aid&c=apps>

Since I don't have hearing aids, I'll let others dig into what they do:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.earcare.apps.hearingaid>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonova.phonak.dsapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.petralex>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.resound.smart3d>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.dectonecaller>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oticon.remotecontrol>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.resound.smart3d>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.dectonecaller>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oticon.remotecontrol>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starkey.android.newlink.release>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.listeningdevice.hearingaid>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.signia.rta>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.main.amihear>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microphone.soundmagnifier>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.accessibility.soundamplifier>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.main.amihear>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnhearing.gnbemore>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonova.unitron.rcapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miracleear.mdapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beltone.hearmax>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connexx.rta>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psychocreatives.supereartool>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnhearing.enhancepro>
etc.

One rather phenomenally useful suggestion for Android searchers is that
the Google search engine is horrid for finding apps. Absolutely horrid.

So that isn't likely even close to the good ones out there, which is
why I use FOSS Google Play Store clients to find the better apps.

> Manufacturer apps just don't seem
> to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level,

Since we're both adults, we shouldn't ever disagree on facts (only fools
do that, and that's _why_ they are fools in the first place); but we may
very well disagree on assessments of the facts, particularly if we're not
aware of all the facts - so you and I are going to likely disagree here.

And that's OK.

I already said that Apple is a genius at making people believe they
have your best interest in mind, where Google failed at that, so it's
my assessment of the facts that teh manufacturer is the _worst_ place
to look to obtain the functionality that you want.

I can give you plenty of examples, e.g., I just noted above that the
Google search for apps sucks compared to the search in the FOSS
Google Play Store client. In one hand, how can a Google search suck,
you might ask - but then in the other hand you'd know it's not in the
best interest of Google to steer you toward ad free gsf fre free apps.

IMHO, Apple is no different than Google only Apple is vastly better at
projecting an image of a fatherly God-like Jesus-will-save-you figure.

Most adults would wonder who would fall for Apple's God-will-save-you
advertising, but then all you have to do is listen to Alan Browne
swear there is no such thing as the walled garden - & there never was.

Suffice to say Apple marketing works incredibly well on small minds.
But I don't wish for you to be so swayed by thinking that the oem
(in your case, Apple) provides the best functionality (any more than
the OEM for Android phones does).

Most functionality, IMHO, that the user wants, is provided by developers,
which, of course, is why iOS will always pale in functionality to Android
(because Apple severely limits what functionality developers can provide).

My argument is purely logical, and it's based on facts - not advertising:
1. Apple extremely severely constrains what developers can provide
2. Google also constrains them - but only on the Google Play Store
3. Developers can provide anything to Android - even if Google hates them

Examples are, for example, fantastic YouTube replacement clients such as
<http://newpipe.net>
And phenomenal FOSS Google Play Store clients (with a better search!)
<http://auroraoss.com>
And ungoogled chromium products which, of course, Google likely hates.
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>
And wonderfully functional system-wide Wi-Fi/Data & ad-blocking firewalls
<https://netguard.me/>

The main point of this thread is that with iOS, Apple severely constrains
what a developer can do, so if _any_ (let alone _most_!) app functionality
you want is provided by a developer, you're dead when you're on iOS most
of the time because Apple never has your best interest in mind.

Neither does Google - but Android is designed to allow developers to
provide whatever they want to provide and Google can't stop them.

The classic Apple iKook response is to start screaming in an Alan Browne
kind of way insanely screeching with hands flailing how "dangerous" that
is, to be able to run apps that you want to run - but - then you have
to observe the fact that it's _only iOS_ that doesn't allow sideloading.
*Sideloading is not evil - it's what all common consumer operating systems do*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/4u-EDP05YHk>

Besides, there are far more security holes in iOS than any other smartphone
in history, so it's a "specious" claim, that Alan Browne always makes.

As a result of Apple's restrictive control strategy, the iPhone is not only
the least secure smartphone on this planet & the most exploited in the wild,
but at the same time, the iOS platform is clearly the least functional.

And that's just sad.
Mainly because the damn thing costs so much for so little.

But then... think of those bright *NEW!!!!! colors* & 21 new emoji... :)

> but admittedly my sample size is only one...

Thank you for being an adult as the iKooks will claim "nobody wants it"
and "nobody needs it" and "apple isn't worried about 5G" as if they
have an infinite sample size which gives them extreme clarity of thought.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0mr7c$ick6$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2255&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2255

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:15:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:15 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS,
>
> it can't.

Hehhehheh... nospam is _desperate_ to hide these huge flaws in iOS...

It's clear nospam spends about two seconds on his posts, where, like all
iKooks, he's _desperate_ to excuse the obvious fact that it's Apple who
crippled iOS such that iOS is not only the least secure smartphone in
history in terms of constantly ever increasing zero-day holes, but also
in terms of Apple's zero days being exploited more than others (due to
the primitive stone-age iOS update monolith), and, as a result of Apple's
restrictive app policy - iOS users enjoy far less app functionality.

By controlling iOS, like a dictator controls a country, the users lose
because Apple _never_ has the consumers' best interest in mind.

*Apple is like a tobacco company in almost every respect.*
>> but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
>> Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
>> features of iOS hearing aid support. Manufacturer apps just don't seem
>> to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level, but
>> admittedly my sample size is only one...
>
> that's because hardware manufacturers generally are not good at writing
> software, even with some of the larger companies who have the budget to
> do so, with camera companies being one of the more common examples.
>
> if their apps are cross-platform, they are limited to features common
> between both and ignore anything unique on only one platform.

Hi badgolferman (via nospam's inelaborate desperate mere excuse above)...

I do on Android anything that I want to do on Android, whereas on iOS,
Apple severely cripples what anyone can do, so the images below are only
for Android - but they are all mine - so I've done everything I claim.

(Unlike nospam, who elevates himself to "developer status" even as that's
clearly a brazen lie as he has never written a line of code in his life.)

Since nospam's response was a classic "I wish iOS could do the things iOS
clearly can't do so I'll just claim that iOS is better without any facts"

Unlike nospam, who doesn't even own the Android devices he claims to know
so well (hell, nospam doesn't even own a modern iPhone), I not only own
a modern Android device, but I've created Shortcuts to Activities on them.

Hence, I will provide to badgolferman some images I have in my archive
of things I've done, along the lines of creating shortcuts to do things,
some of which are similar to what badgolferman wants for switching radios.

1. Accessing network modes which are hidden from an unknowing user base.
<https://i.postimg.cc/FFByv7Ps/bands01.jpg> Hidden Network-Mode Activity
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKnwPGQ0/bands02.jpg> Hidden Band-Selection Activity
<https://i.postimg.cc/L5CZHt2k/bands03.jpg> Band selection options

2. Creating Shortcuts to any Activity inside of any Android app or setting.
<https://i.postimg.cc/KzrX0Kdw/shortcut01.jpg> Custom Shortcut icons
<https://i.postimg.cc/RFs4CPxv/shortcut02.jpg> Creating URL Shortcuts
<https://i.postimg.cc/J4WzDQKc/shortcut03.jpg> Creating FOLDER Shortcuts
<https://i.postimg.cc/MKmPDnKC/shortcut04.jpg> Editing Shortcut icons
<https://i.postimg.cc/13RWYy8f/shortcut05.jpg> Choosing custom icons
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0SpMTpH/shortcut06.jpg> Squaring the custom icon
<https://i.postimg.cc/DybJkMNF/shortcut07.jpg> Finding icons to extract
<https://i.postimg.cc/fRn3wv4d/shortcut08.jpg> Extracting icons to PNG
<https://i.postimg.cc/GhQcYjVV/shortcut09.jpg> Net icon, before & after
<https://i.postimg.cc/43KZDRyR/shortcut10.jpg> Copy net icon to Android
<https://i.postimg.cc/JzFCcYq6/shortcut11.jpg> Select & edit custom icon
<https://i.postimg.cc/c4brT9qq/shortcut12.jpg> Custom screenshot icon
<https://i.postimg.cc/50b0jDzz/shortcut13.jpg> Set custom icon on Android
<https://i.postimg.cc/qqYQXB7Y/shortcut14.jpg> Sample custom Shortcuts
<https://i.postimg.cc/qRqQv6wb/shortcut15.jpg> Open phone to the keypad
<https://i.postimg.cc/KzWfkcsZ/shortcut16.jpg> Open to ANY app Activity
<https://i.postimg.cc/9z5Bb8hK/shortcut17.jpg> Find all hidden Activities
<https://i.postimg.cc/W13874D0/shortcut18.jpg> Set opening tab yourself
<https://i.postimg.cc/jqw08DT4/shortcut19.jpg> Avoid all Google Activities
<https://i.postimg.cc/Z5L193P4/shortcut20.jpg> Determine # of Activities
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJrhDzRY/shortcut21.jpg> Open app to a page you want
<https://i.postimg.cc/QC5zjWxL/shortcut22.jpg> Disable Google Activities
<https://i.postimg.cc/SQz36HLZ/shortcut23.jpg> Elevate to homescreen
<https://i.postimg.cc/c4yjXTXd/shortcut24.jpg> Create custom Shortcuts
<https://i.postimg.cc/KvPWVLHB/shortcut25.jpg> Add Shortcuts to homescreen
<https://i.postimg.cc/P5d7kxgc/shortcut26.jpg> Much Shortcut functionality
<https://i.postimg.cc/qB1t432f/shortcut27.jpg> Access any app Activity

3. Creating a shortcut to a setting deep inside the Android settings.
<https://i.postimg.cc/rFgM7bmb/battery01.jpg> Shortcut to battery status

4. Create a Shortcut to "ps -aux | grep <PID> & kill -9 <PID>" on Android.
<https://i.postimg.cc/vTmRGghz/settings01.jpg> Native widget results
<https://i.postimg.cc/T2Szy9dt/settings02.jpg> SettingsCreator results
<https://i.postimg.cc/vTkv7Grh/settings03.jpg> ps -aux | kill -9 <PID>

5. Create a Shortcut to power off the phone & test it easily.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9fmLBPYD/onoff01.jpg> Shortcut to turn phone off
<https://i.postimg.cc/MTXtCW4x/onoff02.jpg> Test your custom Shortcuts

6. Access Activities inside an app to kill running & bg processes.
<https://i.postimg.cc/JzrfLbpb/pskill01.jpg> Kill a running service
<https://i.postimg.cc/sD3JTyf2/pskill02.jpg> App info force stop
<https://i.postimg.cc/KYTLZscV/pskill03.jpg> Recent apps force stop
<https://i.postimg.cc/wTj3rw1h/pskill04.jpg> Activity kill running <PID>
<https://i.postimg.cc/2yz3rw2N/pskill05.jpg> Activity kill a bg <PID>

7. Creating custom Shortcuts to all Activities & even to all Intents.
<https://i.postimg.cc/fRkkvRJH/intent01.jpg> Custom Shortcuts folder
<https://i.postimg.cc/jS923YfR/intent02.jpg> Powerful Intent customization
<https://i.postimg.cc/2SPjFFp6/intent03.jpg> Tremendous Shortcut power!
<https://i.postimg.cc/5NLFjT2Q/intent04.jpg> Change "open with" options
<https://i.postimg.cc/Gmj8xDYc/intent05.jpg> Intercept Open-With dialogs
<https://i.postimg.cc/3wSkPHnV/intent06.jpg> Example intercepting Intents

8. Finding information about missing Activities and Shortcut targets.
<https://i.postimg.cc/mkjbNygt/intent01.jpg> App is no longer installed
<https://i.postimg.cc/hPMj9cXp/intent02.jpg> Shortcut knows what it is
<https://i.postimg.cc/wMQB4d0x/intent03.jpg> App is found in Aurora Store
<https://i.postimg.cc/SNZSndPP/intent04.jpg> App is found in F-Droid
<https://i.postimg.cc/cL2dmH0M/intent05.jpg> App is found in Aurora Droid
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtpNV3Lg/intent06.jpg> App is installed from F-Droid

9. This basic changing of default Shortcuts is _impossible_ on iOS!
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLLD28Ny/icon01.jpg> Android changes DEFAULT icons
<https://i.postimg.cc/HLJXMgkg/icon02.jpg> Edit default Shortcut icons
<https://i.postimg.cc/kG72T3qD/icon03.jpg> Change the name and/or icon
<https://i.postimg.cc/zvkgND0n/icon04.jpg> iOS is crippled & can't do this
<https://i.postimg.cc/Z5s60RZH/icon05.jpg> Android gives you full control
--
The main reason iOS has far more security holes than Android, and far more
exploited security holes, and far less functionality is due to Apple's

It doesn't help that Apple's R&D spend is the lowest of all tech companies.
(HINT: Apple is no different than soda or tobacco companies in product.)

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0mt2i$dvaa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2256

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
not even a single app - not even one
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 09:47:13 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:47 UTC

On 4/6/2023 6:31 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks Arlen, I had forgotten that these had been brought up before. I
> have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS,
> but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
> Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
> features of iOS hearing aid support. Manufacturer apps just don't seem
> to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level, but
> admittedly my sample size is only one...

The message I got from the developer of Auto Speaker:

HH Group
Mon, Apr 3, 5:48 PM (3 days ago)
to me

Hello,

Unfortunately, due to changes in Android OS, starting at Android 11, the
app is unable to turn the speaker on or off during a call.

Hanan.

Too bad, this is a useful feature and is present in iOS.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<060420231258595990%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2257&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2257

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 12:58:59 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:58 UTC

In article <u0mt2i$dvaa$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, due to changes in Android OS, starting at Android 11, the
> app is unable to turn the speaker on or off during a call.

looks like android cripples functionality.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<FaKdnXmAu_9yn7L5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2258&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2258

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Android - not even a single app - not even one
From: nun...@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 17:35:43 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:35 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <u0mt2i$dvaa$1@dont-email.me>, sms
> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, due to changes in Android OS, starting at Android 11, the
>> app is unable to turn the speaker on or off during a call.
>
> looks like android cripples functionality.

Gee, I wonder if this example of the “laughably crippled” Android is noted
in the fair and all-inclusive “document”?

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0n7oa$jmau$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2259&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2259

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 20:49:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 19:49 UTC

sms wrote:

> Unfortunately, due to changes in Android OS, starting at Android 11, the
> app is unable to turn the speaker on or off during a call.

Given Steve is ignorant of facts, and given how wrong both Steve and nospam
have been, the fact that neither of them knows of anything doesn't, in and
of itself, have _any_ meaning whatsoever.

Steve doesn't know the most basic things of Android, and clearly nospam is
ignorant of the most basic limitations of iOS, so what _they_ claim, is
meaningless.

Since adults don't argue with facts (only fools like nospam do), the fact
is the functionality exists on Android - at least by way of that one app,
just not on all Androids - but that fact alone isn't enough data.

For example, if I cared to solve that problem, I'm "pretty sure" I would,
given how _powerful_ Android is (see my prior examples) where I don't care
enough about the speakerphone being automatic on all Androids to bother to
attempt it.

However...

As I showed badgolferman, Android Shortcuts have the capacity to access any
public Activity and/or Intent, so that I suspect if we really wanted to
make a shortcut that opened the Phone to the speaker, we likely could.

[...]

My point is that I've never tried to create a shortcut to the speakerphone
switch, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not easily doable on Android.

Certainly nospam's credibility is worthless on this topic (he's never used
an Android phone in his entire life), as is Steve's (Steve at least uses
both Android and iOS but Steve doesn't even know that FOSS Google Play
Stores exist, nor that Google Play Protect scans _all_ apps), so Steve is
clearly ignorant of some of the most obvious most basic of Android things.

In this case, I'm also not aware of whether there are other apps as it
has been years since I tested this feature out but the point is that it's
on some Android phones just like the 3.5mm jack is on some iPhones.

So to say it's not on Android is classic stupidity of nospam as he's
_desperate_ to find something (anything!) on the crippled iPhone not
already (usually years ago) on Android.

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u0n94s$jr8j$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2260&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2260

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:13:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 20:13 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Unfortunately, due to changes in Android OS, starting at Android 11, the
>> app is unable to turn the speaker on or off during a call.
>
> looks like android cripples functionality.

Hi nospam,

We all get it that you're frantically desperate to find something
(*ANYTHING*!!!!!) on iOS that isn't already (usually years ago)
on Android... so I understand how much you want to jump on this.

The fact is that, just as 3.5mm jacks exist on _some_ iPhones,
the one app Steve pointed to works on some Androids, especially
those of years ago (which, in a cynical way, is kind of funny).

Also, given Steve is clueless about a ton of Android functionality, e.g.,
most recently Steve said that Google Play Protect doesn't scan _all_ apps,
which is just ignorance of facts on Steve's part, the fact Steve is unaware
of a switch that works on _all_ Androids, doesn't mean anything useful.

Here's an example, of what Steve doesn't know, so my point isn't that
Steve is ignorant (he is), but that Steve being ignorant doesn't mean
the feature doesn't exist for all Android phones.
<https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/what-is-google-play-protect>
"While it does more than scan for malware, Play Protect does scan all
the apps including ones you didn't download from Google Play on every
Android phone every single day, meaning it's looking for bad apples
amongst over 100 billion apps. It also regularly checks to make sure
it has the latest information to find them.

In addition, Google can analyze apps downloaded from third-party
sources the same way as long as you have allowed Play Protect to
Improve harmful app detection in your phone's App security settings.
And you should."

The point is Steve not knowing something about Android is par.
We can only evaluate what Steve knows; not what Steve does not know.

I don't care for this feature, but the fact is it exists, and, if I do just
a bit of googling (which would be beyond your capabilities, nospam), I find
this feature has existed since 2014 (at least based on this old howto).
*Automatically Turn On the Speakerphone When You Aren't Holding Your Android Device to Your Ear*
<https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/automatically-turn-speakerphone-when-you-arent-holding-your-android-device-your-ear-0159325/>

Who knows why this shows up as a problem in November 2022, but see this:
<https://apps.uk/android-speakerphone-comes-on-automatically/>

This Android 11 and Android 12 Xiomi YouTube video shows it working.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZvb-9NyNI>

You can't always have your cake and eat it too, nospam.

Android is a fragmented market, which you gladly take advantage of when you
claim "iOS outsells Android" when, in reality, it's just that there is an
extremely limited number of iPhone models compared to that of Android.

The main issue is the proximity sensor is trying to do "intelligent things"
in the latest Androids, so the solution would be to turn it off; but I
haven't explored that all that much (although I ran into that issue when
I first loaded Android 12 as I recall)...
*Anyone else having the auto-rotate keep turning on by itself on Android 12?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Jkw3yEY7WaQ/>

For example, look at these old screenshots of mine for the proximity.
<https://i.postimg.cc/gjV490J7/autorotate01.jpg> Android12 proximity setup
<https://i.postimg.cc/SRHd3tcg/autorotate02.jpg> Turn off proximity sensor

While the auto speakerphone switch works on some Android phones today,
for it to work on all Android phones may only need a different dialer.
*Replacing your Android default google dialer with a better dialer*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/4UGZaPb4wvM/>

While changing the default messenger, contact manager and dialer is trivial
on Android, nospam, how again do you swap out the default dialer on iOS?

*Right Dialer* by Goodwy (warning: In-app purchases)
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 4.4 in 2.59K reviews at 500K+ downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodwy.dialer>

*Simple Dialer* by Simple Mobile Tools
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 4.2 in 8.51K reviews at 1M+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.dialer>

*How do you change out the default dialer on iOS, nospam?*

Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one

<u14tj5$aqnv$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2266

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 01:22:17 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 00:22 UTC

AJL wrote:

>>I don't use Chrome as an operating system so may I ask if Chrome also
>>limits the applications that are available to you
>
> Yup. To the Play Store.

Chrome uses the exact same debilitating crippling concept that iOS uses.
The problem with that is the best apps are NOT in the Play Store, IMHO.

For example, Chrome and iOS share the same crippling of apps, where the
_best_ apps on the planet will _never_ be offered to the users, such as:

*NewPipe* by Schabi (FOSS YouTube client)
<https://newpipe.net/>

>>And is that approved subset missing huge functional areas
>
> Dunno. I haven't tried all the millions of apps available yet.

Chrome uses the exact same debilitating crippling concept that iOS uses.

Try to find the official Tor Browser, or, oh, say, Ungoogled Chromium:
*Ungoogled Chromium*
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>

*Bromite*
<https://www.bromite.org/>
<https://github.com/bromite/bromite>

They do that to restrict your choice - which is fine if you're that type of
person who wants a mothership to lock you inside a prison on your device.

>>If Chrome is also lacking in functional apps, what good is it as an OS?
>
> The only apps I've found Chrome lacking in so far is Usenet newsreaders.
> This one sucks and it's the best I've found so far. But for the average Joe
> the OS likely performs just fine...]

Chrome uses the exact same debilitating crippling concept that iOS uses.
If you've only found one functionality lacking, that simply means you're
like most iOS and Chrome users (they're essentially the same thing).

Most iOS users only play games on their iPhones.
Zero iOS users do wireless debugging, for example.

Given both iOS and Chrome are toy operating systems, for the type of person
who only play games & makes phone calls, those operating systems work fine.

But you can't expect toy operating systems such as iOS & Chrome to do
actual technical work such as spoofing the location, using alternative app
stores, wireless and cellular debugging, automatic call recording, etc.

In summary, both Chrome & iOS use the same debilitating crippling of apps.
Developers are NOT ALLOWED to provide the user the apps they might want.

That's horrible.
But for a Chrome and iOS user, that's NOT horrible.

They actually like being crippled.
Makes no sense to me - but iOS users and Chrome users exist.

So being crippled makes sense... to iOS & to Chrome users.
A crippled device makes them feel safe.

And that's OK.

As long as they comprehend that Chrome & iOS can't do real work.
But not being able to do anything, makes Chrome & iOS users feel safe.

And again, that's OK.
Chrome/iOS users feel safe because the operating system is crippled.

*The crippling of the device... is literally what makes them feel safe.*

Most people on both Chrome & iOS are _afraid_ of the device, so it works
for them; but locking everyone in these choice-restricted prisons isn't for
those people who use the device as something other than to just play games.