Programming is an unnatural act.

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

SubjectAuthor
* Latest graphics drivers for Windows on ItaniumKurt Stine
+* Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on ItaniumStephen Hoffman
|`* Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on ItaniumKurt Stine
| `- Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on ItaniumStephen Hoffman
`- Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on ItaniumJohn Dallman

1
Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

<c7817c47-6390-4b58-a02c-9fe6152e5687n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22656&group=comp.os.vms#22656

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium
From: kurtasti...@gmail.com (Kurt Stine)
 by: Kurt Stine - Mon, 16 May 2022 22:52 UTC

I know this is different than the point of this group, but it's also the only group I've found that actually knows about Itanium servers/workstations.

I recently was able to purchase a ZX2000 workstation. I am now trying to find the latest graphics drivers available for it to try and upgrade the GPU (Since the Radeon 7000 is failing). Does anyone know what the latest GPU and driver release is that is supported by Windows on Itanium? I can't seem to find drivers for anything later than the Geforce 5 series. Ideally I'd like to get Geforce 6 support as those cards are usually cheaper than Geforce 5.

- Kurt

Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

<t5umsv$t5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22657&group=comp.os.vms#22657

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 19:31:43 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Mon, 16 May 2022 23:31 UTC

On 2022-05-16 22:52:49 +0000, Kurt Stine said:

> I know this is different than the point of this group, but it's also
> the only group I've found that actually knows about Itanium
> servers/workstations.

Alas, the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup is not usually discussing
Microsoft Windows technical support, or Windows on Itanium, which is at
the core of this question.

DuckDuckGo finds this spec sheet:
https://unixhq.com/websgt/hp_zx2000_datasheet.pdf

> I recently was able to purchase a ZX2000 workstation. I am now trying
> to find the latest graphics drivers available for it to try and upgrade
> the GPU (Since the Radeon 7000 is failing). Does anyone know what the
> latest GPU and driver release is that is supported by Windows on
> Itanium? I can't seem to find drivers for anything later than the
> Geforce 5 series. Ideally I'd like to get Geforce 6 support as those
> cards are usually cheaper than Geforce 5.

You're also on an ancient and unusual box with a rare operating system.

"Cheap" isn't usually part of that equation.

GeForce? AFAICT, nope.

See the above doc for the common controllers.

The PCI versions of Radeon 7000, Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500 AIW should
all work. AGP versions might work. IIRC, there were some firmware
updates related to AGP.

Now-HPE had drivers for FireGL for Windows XP 64-bit—drivers 8.02.3
Rev. A and 7.91.90919 Rev. A, and NVIDIA 53.18 Rev. 1, and Radeon
6.13.10.6118, and FireGL X1/Z1 3763, and some or all of these seem to
be available on the 'net.

No idea if HPE still offers drivers for download via their service
portal, but they might also be scrounged from the old HP and/or HPE FTP
areas. Finding stuff there can be daunting, though.

As for here in the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup... OpenVMS I64 boots
and works on zx2000 (haven't tried the latest VSI version, but never
saw issues with the HP and HPE versions), and with those three Radeon
controllers and some others, and with a free hobbyist license and kit
available from VSI. Only wrinkle here with OpenVMS was the cables for
the drives were mislabeled, IIRC—the optical device needed to use the
cable labeled for the hard disk and not the cable labeled for optical.
Go figure.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

<memo.20220517115805.11824T@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22658&group=comp.os.vms#22658

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:58 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Tue, 17 May 2022 10:58 UTC

In article <c7817c47-6390-4b58-a02c-9fe6152e5687n@googlegroups.com>,
kurtastine98@gmail.com (Kurt Stine) wrote:

> I recently was able to purchase a ZX2000 workstation. I am now
> trying to find the latest graphics drivers available for it to try
> and upgrade the GPU (Since the Radeon 7000 is failing).

Don't expect to find anything newer than about 2005. HP abandoned the
idea of Itanium workstations around then, and treated Itanium as a server
platform from then on. The last version of Windows to support Itanium was
Server 2008 R2, but Microsoft gave up being enthusiastic about Itanium in
about 2005.

John

Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

<37f55822-c4fd-4eb4-88f6-aaa8fb0fb8ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22673&group=comp.os.vms#22673

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: kurtasti...@gmail.com (Kurt Stine)
 by: Kurt Stine - Tue, 17 May 2022 19:28 UTC

On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 4:31:46 PM UTC-7, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2022-05-16 22:52:49 +0000, Kurt Stine said:
>
> > I know this is different than the point of this group, but it's also
> > the only group I've found that actually knows about Itanium
> > servers/workstations.
> Alas, the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup is not usually discussing
> Microsoft Windows technical support, or Windows on Itanium, which is at
> the core of this question.
>
> DuckDuckGo finds this spec sheet:
> https://unixhq.com/websgt/hp_zx2000_datasheet.pdf

I actually purchased my zx2000 from UnixHQ, they're a great company.

> > I recently was able to purchase a ZX2000 workstation. I am now trying
> > to find the latest graphics drivers available for it to try and upgrade
> > the GPU (Since the Radeon 7000 is failing). Does anyone know what the
> > latest GPU and driver release is that is supported by Windows on
> > Itanium? I can't seem to find drivers for anything later than the
> > Geforce 5 series. Ideally I'd like to get Geforce 6 support as those
> > cards are usually cheaper than Geforce 5.
> You're also on an ancient and unusual box with a rare operating system.
>
> "Cheap" isn't usually part of that equation.

I guess cheap is more of a relative term with these things.

> GeForce? AFAICT, nope.
>
> See the above doc for the common controllers.
>
> The PCI versions of Radeon 7000, Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500 AIW should
> all work. AGP versions might work. IIRC, there were some firmware
> updates related to AGP.
>
> Now-HPE had drivers for FireGL for Windows XP 64-bit—drivers 8.02..3
> Rev. A and 7.91.90919 Rev. A, and NVIDIA 53.18 Rev. 1, and Radeon
> 6.13.10.6118, and FireGL X1/Z1 3763, and some or all of these seem to
> be available on the 'net.
>
> No idea if HPE still offers drivers for download via their service
> portal, but they might also be scrounged from the old HP and/or HPE FTP
> areas. Finding stuff there can be daunting, though.

I was able to find those and an extra Nvidia driver (with Geforce 5 support) on the HPE FTP, but like you said, it's complicated to find things on there. Also, since I don't have an enterprise account, it keeps kicking me out of the FTP server (probably because it thinks I'm trying to scrape it). I also found a Windows server 2008 support package for the rx2600 (which is virtually the same device). Unfortunately that seems to be as far as I can go without an HPE support account.

> As for here in the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup... OpenVMS I64 boots
> and works on zx2000 (haven't tried the latest VSI version, but never
> saw issues with the HP and HPE versions), and with those three Radeon
> controllers and some others, and with a free hobbyist license and kit
> available from VSI. Only wrinkle here with OpenVMS was the cables for
> the drives were mislabeled, IIRC—the optical device needed to use the
> cable labeled for the hard disk and not the cable labeled for optical.
> Go figure.

Thanks to both you and John for responding! I guess there will be more experimentation on my part to see what works and what doesn't. I may throw OpenVMS on it to just check out at some point though.

- Kurt

Re: Latest graphics drivers for Windows on Itanium

<t610iu$7sc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22676&group=comp.os.vms#22676

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 16:29:18 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Tue, 17 May 2022 20:29 UTC

On 2022-05-17 19:28:36 +0000, Kurt Stine said:

> On Monday, May 16, 2022 at 4:31:46 PM UTC-7, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> On 2022-05-16 22:52:49 +0000, Kurt Stine said: I know this is different
>> than the point of this group, but it's also the only group I've found
>> that actually knows about Itanium servers/workstations.
>> Alas, the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup is not usually discussing
>> Microsoft Windows technical support, or Windows on Itanium, which is at
>> the core of this question....
>
> I actually purchased my zx2000 from...

David Turner at Island has Radeon 7000 and Radeon 7500 PCI cards available.

https://www.islandco.com/hp-parts/hp-integrity-graphics-cards

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC