Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:54:14 +0000
Subject: in NovaBBS, 33 users online (including 7 bots and 0 throttled)
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: HenHanna - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:54 UTC

>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 14:28:53 -0800, HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> wrote:
>>>
>>> in TB, and in novaBBS, is it easy to cancel (delete) a post?
>>>
>>> At first, i thought i'd tell others about novaBBS, but
>>> now i'm worried about overcrowding (congestion).
>>>
>>> i like how (most of the time), a post from novaBBS gets
>>> propagated within one second.

> D wrote:
>> not even google could "overcrowd" usenet . . . too many servers and
>> too many users . . . it's a one-way ticket though, because once any
>> article gets posted and propagated there's simply no way to take it
>> back . . . some articles might get intercepted, but i wouldn't test
>> that theory . . . any posted errors can be rectified by corrections

> My (our) fear of novaBBS's possible overcrowding
> (congestion) seems reasonable, when you consider
> these two factors (and there may be more):

> 1. About 5% of the time, i post from novaBBS and
> i have to wait 5 minutes before my post shows
> up in novaBBS (due to novaBBS being impacted)

> 2. Much of the time, fewer than 30 people are
> using novaBBS. --- But i'm assuming that the
> [users online] figure only includes the
> number of registered and logged-in users.

> ## There are currently 27 users online
> ## Total messages: 2,299,507

There are currently 33 users online (including 7 bots and 0 throttled)
Total messages: 2,299,568

In the context of user statistics, "throttled" likely refers to users whose access or activity has been intentionally limited or restricted. This could be done for a variety of reasons, such as to prevent abuse, to manage bandwidth usage, or to protect the system from overload.

For example, an online service might throttle users who are exceeding their data allowance or who are making too many requests in a short period of time. This would help to ensure that the service is fair and usable for everyone.

Etymology:

The word "throttled" comes from the Middle English word "throtlen", which meant "to choke, strangle, or suffocate." This word itself comes from the noun "throat" with the addition of the suffix "-le." The exact meaning of the "-le" suffix in this context is uncertain, but it could have been used to:

-- Indicate a frequentative action: Similar to how "sparkle" is derived from "spark."

------------ and dazzle from Daze, Puzzle from ...

-- Form a utensil noun: Like "handle" from "hand."

-- Simply distinguish the verb from the noun "throat": Which, in late 14th century English, could also mean "cut the throat of, kill by cutting the throat."

The noun form of "throttle" (referring to a valve controlling the flow of something) appeared later in the 1540s. This is considered an independent formation from the verb, possibly a diminutive form of "throat."

The mechanical sense of the noun, specifically referring to the valve in an engine, wasn't recorded until the 1870s.

Re: in NovaBBS, 33 users online (including 7 bots and 0 throttled)

<d04d7c31a3df0ff5728a02e4a49a442c@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2270&group=news.software.readers#2270

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:20:20 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:20 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

>> D wrote:
>>> not even google could "overcrowd" usenet . . . too many servers and
>>> too many users . . . it's a one-way ticket though, because once any
>>> article gets posted and propagated there's simply no way to take it
>>> back . . . some articles might get intercepted, but i wouldn't test
>>> that theory . . . any posted errors can be rectified by corrections

>> My (our) fear of novaBBS's possible overcrowding
>> (congestion) seems reasonable, when you consider
>> these two factors (and there may be more):

>> 1. About 5% of the time, i post from novaBBS and
>> i have to wait 5 minutes before my post shows
>> up in novaBBS (due to novaBBS being impacted)

>> 2. Much of the time, fewer than 30 people are
>> using novaBBS. --- But i'm assuming that the
>> [users online] figure only includes the
>> number of registered and logged-in users.

>> ## There are currently 27 users online
>> ## Total messages: 2,299,507

I've seen over 900 "users" online a few times, most likely dos attacks, but the site worked fine. Clients that don't "act like" users get very limited access to avoid server overload.

The reason for the 5 minute delay at times is simply the timing of posting. If the specific group writing is busy at that very moment of posting, the post gets queued. This is to avoid the delay you would see waiting for the site to come back saying "Posted". The delay could easily exceed the page timeout, so we don't let that happen.

Throttled is when a client meets certain criteria that is pretty clear it is an abusive bot. It then does not get to load any pages at all.

None of this is to say that the software is robust. That remains to be seen.

--
Retro Guy

Re: in NovaBBS, 33 users online (including 7 bots and 0 throttled)

<7dfffc3da8d9dfce1b46b651d17462ca@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=news.software.readers#2276

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:26:42 +0000
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:26 UTC

>>> 2. Much of the time, fewer than 30 people are
>>> using novaBBS. --- But i'm assuming that the
>>> [users online] figure only includes the
>>> number of registered and logged-in users.

>>> ## There are currently 27 users online
>>> ## Total messages: 2,299,507

> I've seen over 900 "users" online a few times, most likely dos attacks, but the site worked fine. Clients that don't "act like" users get very limited access to avoid server overload.

There are currently 211 users online (including 198 bots and 0 throttled)
Total messages: 2,303,368

Re: in NovaBBS, 33 users online (including 7 bots and 0 throttled)

<a86d6a33d1a4a30b42dd040ec617d2be@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=news.software.readers#2277

From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:31:50 +0000
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

>> I've seen over 900 "users" online a few times, most likely dos attacks, but the site worked fine. Clients
that don't "act like" users get very limited access to avoid server overload.

> There are currently 211 users online (including 198 bots and 0 throttled)
> Total messages: 2,303,368

There are currently 431 users online
Total messages: 2,301,379