You can't evaluate a man by logic alone. -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: apple music

SubjectAuthor
* apple musicsobriquet
`* Re: apple musicsobriquet
 +* Re: apple musicJolly Roger
 |`* Re: apple musicsobriquet
 | +- Re: apple musicJolly Roger
 | `* Re: apple musicChris
 |  `* Re: apple musicsobriquet
 |   `- Re: apple musicJolly Roger
 `* Re: apple musicBob Campbell
  `- Re: apple musicJolly Roger

1
apple music

<c93cb4db-6175-4421-9a80-79f34b19a7f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2272

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:39:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: apple music
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:39 UTC

Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
you can use apple music on the ipad.

Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?

For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
available on apple music:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298

https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699

Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
offer an overview of the music they have available.

Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?

That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.

Re: apple music

<a6b80445-e898-478c-82b2-af7b421e43acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2273

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: apple music
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:53 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
> you can use apple music on the ipad.
>
> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
> music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?
>
> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
> available on apple music:
>
> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>
> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>
> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
> offer an overview of the music they have available.
>
> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
> show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
> in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>
> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
> their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.

Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any subscription shenanigans.

https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web

As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making the claim of
having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Re: apple music

<ka6ordFoa35U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2274

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 05:41:01 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 05:41 UTC

On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
> the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
album by every artist in their library.

JR

Re: apple music

<e1433aa4-eed8-4ccf-9f6f-c69326d61e0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2275&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2275

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:46 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
> > the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).
> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
> album by every artist in their library.

So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
million tracks?
More like 40% or more like 80%?

I'm certainly glad I collect music myself, so I'm not at the mercy of these tech
molochs like apple that can decide on a whim to remove music from the collection
they offer access to.

4 TB SSD is an amazing cosmic jukebox with a playlist shuffling more than 100000
tracks.

> --
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
> I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.
>
> JR

Re: apple music

<-bydnfzgtfpMDaP5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2276

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
From: nun...@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:45:05 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:45 UTC

sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
>> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
>> you can use apple music on the ipad.
>>
>> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
>> music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?
>>
>> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
>> available on apple music:
>>
>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>>
>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>>
>> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
>> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
>> offer an overview of the music they have available.
>>
>> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
>> show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
>> in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>>
>> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
>> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
>> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
>> their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.
>
> Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any subscription shenanigans.
>
> https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web
>
> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making the claim of
> having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Neither of these albums are on Spotify either, which leads me to believe
the artists chose to not make them available via streaming. Not some
nefarious plot by Apple.

Re: apple music

<ka7sgrFtkfnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2277

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:49:47 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:49 UTC

On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As expected the albums are missing from their music collection
>> > (making the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat
>> > doubtful).
>>
>> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
>> album by every artist in their library.
>
> So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that
> has been released in the past that is available through such streaming
> services offering 100 million tracks? More like 40% or more like 80%?

I don't know, and frankly don't care. I have always purchased my music
rather than renting it, and if it's not available on Apple's iTunes
Store, then I'll purchase it elsewhere.

> I'm certainly glad I collect music myself, so I'm not at the mercy of
> these tech molochs like apple that can decide on a whim to remove
> music from the collection they offer access to.

That's a recording industry problem, not a tech problem.

JR

Re: apple music

<ka7sj2FtkfnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2278&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2278

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:50:58 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:50 UTC

On 2023-04-18, Bob Campbell <nunya@none.none> wrote:
> sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad,
>>> but you can use apple music on the ipad.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on
>>> apple music without actually registering or subscribing to the
>>> service (not even a free trial)?
>>>
>>> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums
>>> are available on apple music:
>>>
>>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>>>
>>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>>>
>>> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
>>> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to offer
>>> an overview of the music they have available.
>>>
>>> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can show a
>>> screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available in
>>> their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>>>
>>> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
>>> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
>>> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely
>>> exploring their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has
>>> those albums.
>>
>> Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any
>> subscription shenanigans.
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web
>>
>> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection
>> (making the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat
>> doubtful).
>
> Neither of these albums are on Spotify either, which leads me to
> believe the artists chose to not make them available via streaming.
> Not some nefarious plot by Apple.

I'm betting you can't purchase to own this music from some retailers as
well. Apple has nothing to do with that either.

JR

Re: apple music

<u1n2q8$3mmfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2279&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2279

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:41:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MaIdzq8okOyyScITuXb8A/vrC24=
 by: Chris - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:41 UTC

sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
>>> the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).
>> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
>> album by every artist in their library.
>
> So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
> released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
> million tracks?
> More like 40% or more like 80%?

Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been catalogued
either.

Re: apple music

<cc711432-4809-4dae-ad34-cff74c7c4040n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2280

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 00:44 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 11:41:30 PM UTC+2, Chris wrote:
> sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
> >> album by every artist in their library.
> >
> > So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
> > released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
> > million tracks?
> > More like 40% or more like 80%?
> Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
> independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been catalogued
> either.

Well, assuming that music released for commercial reasons is typically produced in
larger quantities, you might pick some arbitrary minimal number like at least 500
copies being produced for sale (though perhaps these days with online distribution
that has kind of changed compared to the past when albums were released on
vinyl or cd).

Re: apple music

<ka9bv3F648hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2281&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2281

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 19 Apr 2023 05:19:32 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 05:19 UTC

On 2023-04-19, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 11:41:30 PM UTC+2, Chris wrote:
>> sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music
>> > that has been released in the past that is available through such
>> > streaming services offering 100 million tracks? More like 40% or
>> > more like 80%?
>>
>> Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
>> independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been
>> catalogued either.
>
> Well, assuming that music released for commercial reasons is typically
> produced in larger quantities, you might pick some arbitrary minimal
> number like at least 500 copies being produced for sale (though
> perhaps these days with online distribution that has kind of changed
> compared to the past when albums were released on vinyl or cd).

Go ahead then. I'm not sure why you need to involve the rest of us in
your endeavor though, as this exercise seems to be a complete waste of
time.

JR