It's great to be smart 'cause then you know stuff.

computers / news.software.readers / in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

SubjectAuthor
* in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. emHenHanna
+* Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Frank Miller
|`* Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Marco Moock
| `* Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Paul W. Schleck
|  +- Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Marco Moock
|  +- Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Retro Guy
|  `* NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)HenHanna
|   +* Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)HenHanna
|   |`- Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)HenHanna
|   `- Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)Retro Guy
`- Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2Marco Moock

1
in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<usobtv$3u514$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=news.software.readers#2280

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a
followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:42:23 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:42 UTC

in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things at the same time?
1. post a followup
2. email a CC of the post to the Person i'm responding to.

in TB and NovaBBS, is there anything like Killfile?

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<65EFB72B.4010809@popelfresser.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2281&group=news.software.readers#2281

From: mil...@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:00:11 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 02:00 UTC

HenHanna wrote:
> in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things at the same time?

Dunno. If you use TB *and* NovaBBS it's already 2 things. Same time depends on you.

> 1. post a followup
> 2. email a CC of the post to the Person i'm responding to.
No. But maybe yes.
> in TB and NovaBBS, is there anything like Killfile?
Depends

WTF is NovaBBS? Your personal obsession?

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<usossg$54mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2286&group=news.software.readers#2286

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post
a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:31:43 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:31 UTC

On 11.03.2024 um 18:42 Uhr HenHanna wrote:

> in TB and NovaBBS, is there anything like Killfile?

TB supports filters that can be used as a killfile.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1710178943muell@cartoonies.org

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<usostd$54mq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2287&group=news.software.readers#2287

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:32:12 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 06:32 UTC

On 12.03.2024 um 03:00 Uhr Frank Miller wrote:

> WTF is NovaBBS? Your personal obsession?

https://www.novabbs.com/

It is a web-interface to Usenet.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1710208811muell@cartoonies.org

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<ut1ee8$et2$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2289&group=news.software.readers#2289

From: pschl...@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:20:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:20 UTC

In <usostd$54mq$2@dont-email.me> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> writes:

>On 12.03.2024 um 03:00 Uhr Frank Miller wrote:

>> WTF is NovaBBS? Your personal obsession?

>https://www.novabbs.com/

>It is a web-interface to Usenet.

The Nova BBS site is a good start for a free, web-based, Usenet reading
site. A couple of observations:

- It's not complete.

Sure, there are thousands of newsgroups, not all active, most filled
with noise, but many active and on-topic ones are missing. Maybe
start with adding the ones that are in the following list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/197lvp8/sample_newsrc_file_for_recommended_newsgroups/

- The naming convention for direct URL's to each newsgroup includes
about a half-dozen somewhat arbitrary sub-hierarchies that are not in
the standard Usenet namespace, including:

- arts
- aus+uk
- computers
- devel
- interests
- tech

For example:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

This could be confusing for readers trying to remember and construct
direct URL's for bookmark files.

--
Paul W. Schleck
pschleck@panix.com

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<ut1g20$28mk5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2290&group=news.software.readers#2290

From: mm+use...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:47:59 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 12:47 UTC

Suggest that to admin@i2pn2.org

> - The naming convention for direct URL's to each newsgroup includes
> about a half-dozen somewhat arbitrary sub-hierarchies that are not
> in the standard Usenet namespace, including:
>
> - arts
> - aus+uk
> - computers
> - devel
> - interests
> - tech

Those are only categories for the group list locally.

> For example:
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
>
> This could be confusing for readers trying to remember and construct
> direct URL's for bookmark files.

I dunno if the URL format can be changed.

Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)? 1. post a followup, 2. email CC to the Person i'm responding to.

<3d355e81bc19f6ee783bceae0fecc876@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2291&group=news.software.readers#2291

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: Re: in TB and NovaBBS, can i do 2 things: (automatically)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:21:49 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:21 UTC

Paul W. Schleck wrote:

> In <usostd$54mq$2@dont-email.me> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> writes:

>>On 12.03.2024 um 03:00 Uhr Frank Miller wrote:
>>> WTF is NovaBBS? Your personal obsession?
>>https://www.novabbs.com/
>>It is a web-interface to Usenet.

> The Nova BBS site is a good start for a free, web-based, Usenet reading
> site. A couple of observations:

> - It's not complete.

> Sure, there are thousands of newsgroups, not all active, most filled
> with noise, but many active and on-topic ones are missing. Maybe
> start with adding the ones that are in the following list:

> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/197lvp8/sample_newsrc_file_for_recommended_newsgroups/

Thanks! Always looking for groups that people might actually use. I don't want to just add everything and have ppl visit and see either no activity, or just garbage in groups.

> - The naming convention for direct URL's to each newsgroup includes
> about a half-dozen somewhat arbitrary sub-hierarchies that are not in
> the standard Usenet namespace, including:
<snip>
> For example:

> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

> This could be confusing for readers trying to remember and construct
> direct URL's for bookmark files.

As the admin of this web based site, I hear from people very familiar with Usenet, and have users that don't really know much about Usenet (it's just a web forum for them). The intention is not to clone the visible structure of Usenet as much as possible (hence sorting by subjects instead of hierarchies), but to provide groups that are shared around the world (therefore not dependent on my sites) for people to communicate. The underlying structure is Usenet, but the interface is really just meant to be more forum like.

The software itself (I'm the developer) is meant to maintain Usenet standards as closely as possible (proper header construction, references, plain text body etc.), and to interoperate properly via nntp without troubling seasoned Usenet users that will see the posted messages. But there is no real intention to present every detail of the structure of Usenet to the users.

I have a link on my sites that offer users the opportunity to get a real news server account, and use a newsreader. For users that want access to all that is Usenet, I point them in that direction. For the users that end up saying (and I see this), "I just couldn't (be bothered|figure it out)", they just stay on the website.

--
Retro Guy

NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)

<ut235d$2cvjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2293&group=news.software.readers#2293

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:14:05 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:14 UTC

On 3/15/2024 5:20 AM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:
> In <usostd$54mq$2@dont-email.me> Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> writes:
>
>> On 12.03.2024 um 03:00 Uhr Frank Miller wrote:
>
>>> WTF is NovaBBS? Your personal obsession?
>
>> https://www.novabbs.com/
>
>> It is a web-interface to Usenet.
>

> The Nova BBS site is a good start for a free, web-based, Usenet reading
> site. A couple of observations:
>

> - It's not complete.
>
> Sure, there are thousands of newsgroups, not all active, most filled
> with noise, but many active and on-topic ones are missing. Maybe
> start with adding the ones that are in the following list:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/197lvp8/sample_newsrc_file_for_recommended_newsgroups/
>

> - The naming convention for direct URL's to each newsgroup includes
> about a half-dozen somewhat arbitrary sub-hierarchies that are not in
> the standard Usenet namespace, including:
>
> - arts
> - aus+uk
> - computers
> - devel
> - interests
> - tech

Not great... But i got used to it (this Grouping) quickly.

Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)

<ut23l7$2df0e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2294&group=news.software.readers#2294

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Subject: Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:22:30 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:22 UTC

> On 3/15/2024 5:20 AM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

> This could be confusing for readers trying to remember and
construct direct URL's for bookmark files.

_________________

Yes, that [arts] is not "hard-wired"

Each of the following works fine.

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.usenet
https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.usage.english
https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=sci.lang
https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=comp.lang.lisp

Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)

<48da36d8925e2a0bae094ac8db42b620@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2295&group=news.software.readers#2295

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:28:43 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:28 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> On 3/15/2024 5:20 AM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

>>> https://www.novabbs.com/
>>
>>> It is a web-interface to Usenet.
>>

>> The Nova BBS site is a good start for a free, web-based, Usenet reading
>> site. A couple of observations:
>>

>> - It's not complete.
>>
>> Sure, there are thousands of newsgroups, not all active, most filled
>> with noise, but many active and on-topic ones are missing. Maybe
>> start with adding the ones that are in the following list:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/197lvp8/sample_newsrc_file_for_recommended_newsgroups/
>>

>> - The naming convention for direct URL's to each newsgroup includes
>> about a half-dozen somewhat arbitrary sub-hierarchies that are not in
>> the standard Usenet namespace, including:
>>
>> - arts
>> - aus+uk
>> - computers
>> - devel
>> - interests
>> - tech
>>

> Not great... But i got used to it (this Grouping) quickly.

Try putting a different section name from the list in the url:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
https://www.novabbs.com/tech/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments

Many users of novabbs don't think in terms of Usenet hierarchies. Having sections start with 'alt' or 'rec' would make no sense to many of them, plus then you have alt.rock.music listed right next to alt.ribeye.steak.cooking

--
Retro Guy

Re: NovaBBS -- Categories listed on TOP (of the page)

<65eb83626a67a13601c4cce877a290f3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2296&group=news.software.readers#2296

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:32:17 +0000
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.comp.software.thunderbird,news.groups
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:32 UTC

>> On 3/15/2024 5:20 AM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
> >
> > This could be confusing for readers trying to remember and
> construct direct URL's for bookmark files.

> Yes, (maybe) ... BUT that [arts] is not "hard-wired"

> Each of the following works fine.

> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.arts.poetry.comments
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.usenet
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=alt.usage.english
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=sci.lang
> https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=comp.lang.lisp

it'd be perh. nice to have a URL format that omits the [arts]