From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 22:55:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 22:55 UTC

From the «tabloids do as well» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:52:00 -0400
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/135955/windows-needs-to-stop-showing-tabloid-news/

Did you know that pigs eat humans “far more often than people expect?” If not,
surely you must have heard the important, breaking news that a priest “died”
in 2016, went to Hell briefly and returned to inform the rest of us that
demons like to play Rhianna’s Umbrella song over and over again. If you aren’t
aware of these important news stories then maybe you haven’t been spending
enough time using Windows’ search box and widgets section, which at least for
me, are filled to the brim with tabloid trash headlines[1].

The stories come courtesy of Microsoft’s MSN content network, which syndicates
content from hundreds of web publishers: some reputable, some less so. Full
disclosure: Our parent company, Future Plc, has a syndication agreement with
MSN and many of its sites, including Tom’s Hardware, occasionally have
articles appear on the network. What’s problematic here, though, is not that
MSN syndicates content but that it often pushes the equivalent of the Weekly
World News table of contents right into the Windows operating system where it
can be hard to avoid.

Actions have consequences. If you choose to use Windows, you choose to get fed
garbage all over your operating system in the form of ads and tabloid news.

Links:
[1]: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-keeps-feeding-tabloid-news (link)

--
First rule of Usenet: you do not talk about Usenet

Re: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news

<u0bc8p$1nnh$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2284&group=comp.misc#2284

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 08:52:57 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 07:52 UTC

On 01/04/2023 23:55, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «tabloids do as well» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news
> Author: Thom Holwerda
> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:52:00 -0400
> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/135955/windows-needs-to-stop-showing-tabloid-news/
>

> Did you know that pigs eat humans “far more often than people expect?” If not,
> surely you must have heard the important, breaking news that a priest “died”
> in 2016, went to Hell briefly and returned to inform the rest of us that
> demons like to play Rhianna’s Umbrella song over and over again. If you aren’t
> aware of these important news stories then maybe you haven’t been spending
> enough time using Windows’ search box and widgets section, which at least for
> me, are filled to the brim with tabloid trash headlines[1].
>
> The stories come courtesy of Microsoft’s MSN content network, which syndicates
> content from hundreds of web publishers: some reputable, some less so. Full
> disclosure: Our parent company, Future Plc, has a syndication agreement with
> MSN and many of its sites, including Tom’s Hardware, occasionally have
> articles appear on the network. What’s problematic here, though, is not that
> MSN syndicates content but that it often pushes the equivalent of the Weekly
> World News table of contents right into the Windows operating system where it
> can be hard to avoid.
>
> Actions have consequences. If you choose to use Windows, you choose to get fed
> garbage all over your operating system in the form of ads and tabloid news.
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-keeps-feeding-tabloid-news (link)

How does one block this garbage every time I open a new tab in Edge and
also in Win 11 if I accidentally click on the weatehr button on the
bottom left hand corner?

Re: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news

<u0chdt$2jm84$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2286&group=comp.misc#2286

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:27:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:27 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.me> wrote:
> On 01/04/2023 23:55, Retrograde wrote:
>> From the «tabloids do as well» department:
>> Feed: OSnews
>> Title: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news
>> Author: Thom Holwerda
>> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:52:00 -0400
>> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/135955/windows-needs-to-stop-showing-tabloid-news/
>>

>> Actions have consequences. If you choose to use Windows, you choose
>> to get fed garbage all over your operating system in the form of ads
>> and tabloid news.
>>
>> Links:
>> [1]: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-keeps-feeding-tabloid-news (link)
>

> How does one block this garbage every time I open a new tab in Edge
> and also in Win 11 if I accidentally click on the weatehr button on
> the bottom left hand corner?

One way to "block this garbage" is to install Linux.

Re: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news

<n39pfj-gf5.ln1@berry.solani.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2287&group=comp.misc#2287

From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:36:23 +0100
 by: Retrograde - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:36 UTC

On 2023-04-02, SH <i.love@spam.me> wrote:
> On 01/04/2023 23:55, Retrograde wrote:
>> From the «tabloids do as well» department:
> How does one block this garbage every time I open a new tab in Edge and
> also in Win 11 if I accidentally click on the weatehr button on the
> bottom left hand corner?

I just had to do this on my work computer. I use Edge all the time
company intranet resources etc, and getting a full-screen page full of
shit is jarring and distracting.

1. Open Edge
2. Click on gear on the top right
3. Unclick "Content"

Depending on if you are using an older version of Edge you might have to
click on the gear, and then alter the "new tab" settings, where you
unclick content.

Microsoft is no longer a software company. It is chasing Google and
trying to become a webvertising company. They are desperately trying to
get you to use Edge, and be exposed to adverts there.

I say pox on the whole matter.

Re: Windows needs to stop showing tabloid news

<k8ucoeFfa4nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2288&group=comp.misc#2288

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 23:09:18 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:09 UTC

On 02/04/2023 08:52, SH wrote:

> How does one block this garbage every time I open a new tab in Edge and
> also in Win 11 if I accidentally click on the weatehr button on the
> bottom left hand corner?

You either need to register for a Microsoft account to set preferences,
or completely uninstall the news software.

--
Adrian C