The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Comments about an email program

SubjectAuthor
* Comments about an email programKenW
+* Re: Comments about an email programKen Blake
|+- Re: Comments about an email programKenW
|`* Re: Comments about an email programDavidm
| +* Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
| |`- Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
| +- Re: Comments about an email programKen Blake
| `- Re: Comments about an email programJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: Comments about an email programMayayana
|`* Re: Comments about an email programCarlos E. R.
| `* Re: Comments about an email programMayayana
|  `- Re: Comments about an email programRobin Goodfellow
+* Re: Comments about an email programJoerg Lorenz
|+* Re: Comments about an email programThe Real Bev
||`- Re: Comments about an email programJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
| +* Re: Comments about an email programThe Real Bev
| |`* Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
| | +* Re: Comments about an email programThe Real Bev
| | |`* Re: Comments about an email programKen Blake
| | | `- Re: Comments about an email programThe Real Bev
| | `* Re: Comments about an email programKen Blake
| |  `- Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
| `* Re: Comments about an email programJoerg Lorenz
|  `- Re: Comments about an email programKen Blake
+- Re: Comments about an email programRobin Goodfellow
`* Re: Comments about an email programJim S
 +- Re: Comments about an email programKenW
 `* Re: Comments about an email programVanguardLH
  +- Re: Comments about an email programJim S
  `- Re: Comments about an email programJim S

Pages:12
Comments about an email program

<2j09mgp7llapnsd76np545tvkvfaf19h61@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22842&group=comp.mobile.android#22842

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Comments about an email program
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:32:55 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 18:32 UTC

Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.

Thanks

KenW

Re: Comments about an email program

<isjfm5Fu8f3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22844&group=comp.mobile.android#22844

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Comments about an email program
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:56:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 18:56 UTC

On 10/11/2021 11:32 AM, KenW wrote:

> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.

I like BlueMail.

--
Ken

Re: Comments about an email program

<si39mg1jkm3i3r6qp1tvvookub6ktgmsdj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22846&group=comp.mobile.android#22846

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:20:12 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 19:20 UTC

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:56:05 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/11/2021 11:32 AM, KenW wrote:
>>
>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>

>I like BlueMail.

I have it also

KenW

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2639$69j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22854&group=comp.mobile.android#22854

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:15:12 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 20:15 UTC

"KenW" <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote

| Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
| I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
| I'm no expert, but I set up a friend with Nine and she likes it.
I think there used to be a program she used that was Nine something
or something Nine. That got dropped. I asked around. People
recommended Nine.

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2a15$jv5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22861&group=comp.mobile.android#22861

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:23:49 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 21:23 UTC

Am 11.10.21 um 20:32 schrieb KenW:

> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.

On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.

I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
as clearly arranged as Bluemail.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Comments about an email program

<4dpe3ix8oc.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22863&group=comp.mobile.android#22863

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:11:16 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 22:11 UTC

On 11/10/2021 22.15, Mayayana wrote:
> "KenW" <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote
>

> | Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
> | I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
> |
> I'm no expert, but I set up a friend with Nine and she likes it.
> I think there used to be a program she used that was Nine something
> or something Nine. That got dropped. I asked around. People
> recommended Nine.

You probably mean K-9 :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2e5l$6k0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22864&group=comp.mobile.android#22864

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 15:34:27 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 22:34 UTC

On 10/11/2021 02:23 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 11.10.21 um 20:32 schrieb KenW:
>>
>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>
> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.

I use that on my Pixel2 as well as the two previous Motorola phones. I
chose it because it allowed me to download mail to the phone ONLY when I
wanted to -- which might be once a year when I'm on an overnight trip.
K9 was recommended, but at the time it didn't seem to offer that
absolutely essential feature.

> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.

At this point there's no reason to change.

--
Cheers, Bev
The volume of a pizza of thickness 'a' and radius 'z'

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2f9v$1ds8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22866&group=comp.mobile.android#22866

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 22:54:03 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 22:54 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> asked
> Can be free or pay.

No sense in paying for any app on a phone, IMHO, given there are hundreds.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=email&c=apps>

I suspect all can do POP3 or IMAP4 so I doubt that will be a major concern.

Most people will be testing MUA's on IMAP though so keep that in mind that
most people won't likely have much experience downloading all the mail each
time to a single computing device. (You may wish to add a backup strategy.)

What's most important, IMHO, is privacy, free, ad free, gsf free, and google
free so, for that, I assume only idiots use the GMail app with their Google
accounts (AFAIK, the GMail app insists on adding an account to the phone &
worse, as far as I know, GMail insists on uploading contacts the first time
even if you then set it up to _not_ upload contacts - the deed is done).

In the past, I tested almost every highly rated free email client (aka MUA),
but that has been a while ago and things can easily change over time.

You already heard about K-9 Mail which is likely the most popular.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9>

And someone mentioned BlueMail which is also pretty commonly used.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.bluemail.mail>

Although you also mentioned Nine which is also a mail user agent.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3>

FairEmail is apparently a nice intentionally privacy friendly MUA.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.email>

ProtonMail also offers an encrypted email service if privacy is your thing.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.protonmail.android>

Re: Comments about an email program

<1mbaqliylawcl.4ioy98b4ngil.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22867&group=comp.mobile.android#22867

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:00:35 +0100
 by: Jim S - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:00 UTC

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:32:55 -0600, KenW wrote:

> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>
> Thanks
>

> KenW

I use Email by Edison on my mobile. It is similar to Outlook, but I cannot
get sound notifications on Outlook.

--
Jim S

Re: Comments about an email program

<1lnh7lb32p25s$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22868&group=comp.mobile.android#22868

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 18:12:46 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:12 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> KenW:
>
>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>
> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.
>
> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.

I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:

https://bluemail.me/pricing/

I used to have Microsoft's 365 subscriptionware, but decided to stop
paying repeatedly after 3 years. I went with Microsoft's free Android
Outlook app. I've used the Gmail app, but better liked the Outlook app.

From the Blue Mail features list at their site:

Clusters: I hate conversational view. Some folks love it. I don't need
focused inboxes, or someone else guessing how to group my
messages.
Outlook has a (as in 1) focused Inbox. I disabled it.
Organize by thread (conversational mode) is available. I
disabled it.
In the Outlook and eM Client desktop e-mail clients, you can
use rules to assign and colorize categories of messages.
Didn't like it. Didn't use it.
If I want cluster or group some contacts, I use different
e-mail accounts, like one for work, one for a sports team,
another for family and friends, and so on. I can group by
e-mail address. From the screenshots for BlueMail, seems they
smash all accounts into one presentation making it more
difficult to see which message came through which account.

Unified Inbox: Outlook app that, too.

Integrated calendar: Same for Outlook app.

Dark Mode. Outlook, too.

People switch: Looks like they separated conversational mode from
Clusters just to add another feature point to their list. Outlook has
that, too, but I don't use it.

Group mail: Not sure how this is different than defining a contact with
multiple recipients.

Anywhere. Any Device.
Can't any e-mail app support multiple accounts, and be used on multiple
devices. That was the point of IMAP, and Exchange and Gmail API afford
the same transparent service across multiple endpoint devices.

Unlimited accounts. Same for Outlook app.

If BlueMail wasn't payware, I'd probably trial it for awhile to compare
against Outlook. Even if BlueMail had a free trial period, no point in
me wasting my time trialing BlueMail knowing that I eventually would
have to pay for what I can get for free. BlueMail seems to target a
younger gen of users that like lots of glitz and umpteen ways to look at
the same data.

Wonder what KenW is already using, and why he doesn't like it.

Re: Comments about an email program

<q3j9mgpst16ubfb8bfub7v4a5d2hsulkit@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22873&group=comp.mobile.android#22873

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:46:09 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:46 UTC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:00:35 +0100, Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:32:55 -0600, KenW wrote:
>
>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> KenW
>
>I use Email by Edison on my mobile. It is similar to Outlook, but I cannot
>get sound notifications on Outlook.

I was looking at it and might try it.

KenW

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2ilq$mlq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22874&group=comp.mobile.android#22874

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 19:49:54 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:49 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| > I'm no expert, but I set up a friend with Nine and she likes it.
| > I think there used to be a program she used that was Nine something
| > or something Nine. That got dropped. I asked around. People
| > recommended Nine.
| | You probably mean K-9 :-)
| That sounds right, yes.

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2l62$qdf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22877&group=comp.mobile.android#22877

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:34:09 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:34 UTC

On 10/11/2021 04:12 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> KenW:
>>
>>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>>
>> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.
>>
>> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
>> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.
>
> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>
> https://bluemail.me/pricing/

Yabbut "Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal
email app..."

I looked at what you get for the monthly fees. I don't even understand
why I'd want that stuff for free. Perhaps if I were specifying it for
my company I might think differently, but I'm just a lowly human.

> If I want cluster or group some contacts, I use different
> e-mail accounts, like one for work, one for a sports team,
> another for family and friends, and so on. I can group by
> e-mail address. From the screenshots for BlueMail, seems they
> smash all accounts into one presentation making it more
> difficult to see which message came through which account.

I have several email accounts. I can look at them separately or as one
big blob of email that includes all of them. I haven't tried for any
finer organization because it's used only rarely. You can choose
'conversational' or something else, but I don't use it enough to care.

> If BlueMail wasn't payware, I'd probably trial it for awhile to compare
> against Outlook. Even if BlueMail had a free trial period, no point in
> me wasting my time trialing BlueMail knowing that I eventually would
> have to pay for what I can get for free. BlueMail seems to target a
> younger gen of users that like lots of glitz and umpteen ways to look at
> the same data.

What part of "FREE" was confusing? I've paid for a few apps because I
really liked them better than their competition and felt I NEEEEEDED
that function. BTW, I'll be 80 this month.

Ski Tracks (which is a really nice thing for saving gps tracks to feed
into google earth even if you aren't skiing. Not really
battery-hungry.) Google Maps has supplanted CoPilot and OSMand because
I can type addresses etc. on the REAL keyboard on my computer and they
get shared by the phone.

Navionics Ski (which they killed -- only a boating app now)

A Human Body thing that I hardly ever use because the UI is clumsy and
the captions/labels are too small. I think there are free ones that are
just as good now.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk2pbl$60h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22881&group=comp.mobile.android#22881

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:45:37 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:45 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> asked
>|> I'm no expert, but I set up a friend with Nine and she likes it.
>|> I think there used to be a program she used that was Nine something
>|> or something Nine. That got dropped. I asked around. People
>|> recommended Nine.
>|
>| You probably mean K-9 :-)
>|
> That sounds right, yes.

More than likely it's "Nine" and not "K-9"
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3>

Re: Comments about an email program

<1i38oilk6rhqm.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22887&group=comp.mobile.android#22887

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:32:14 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:32 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>>
>> https://bluemail.me/pricing/
>
> Yabbut "Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal
> email app..."

Oy vey, guess I'll need to substitute coffee for the wine in my dinner.
Their pricing page does have a "Free" subscription service tier. I
didn't think my foot would really fit inside my mouth. Wrong twice.
Thanks for the correction.

Did they always have this free subscription tier? It's been too long
since I reviewed several Android apps as e-mail candidates.

Hopefully they don't bother with using a Gmail API Account to access
Gmail accounts, and just use IMAP (and POP for those that still want
it). Accessing the Gmail API requires an account that has a quota, but
that limits how many accesses are permitted per day. The default quotas
on a new Gmail API Account seem high, but not with lots of free users
making repetitive accesses to their accounts. The owner of the Google
project (Gmail API account) have to up their quota to get Gmail access
working again, and anything over the default/original quota has a cost.

The Gmail API is Google's counter to Microsoft Exchange server. The API
affords more features than using POP or IMAP, especially with sync for
contact, calendars, tasks, etc. But to use it requires a Google project
to have an ID for API quotas which enforce a max access counts per day.
If the Google project (for a Gmail API account) doesn't have a high
enough quota to handle the load from all their users, their users get
errors, and cannot access their account. When the quota gets used up,
users will see an error in their client's log for server status saying
"exceeded API quota".

For free users, they likely all share the same Google project ID, so
they're all sharing the same API quota. For paid users, you'd have to
talk to tech support to see if each user gets their own Google project
ID to use for Gmail access (unlikely), or if all paid users share the
same Google project ID, but that has a higher API quota.

If Gmail accounts are defined in BlueMail, can you select IMAP instead
of having the client default to using the Gmail API (assuming the app
supports the Gmail API access method)? Alas, that means loss of
integration with contacts and calendar except by using more crude but
standard protocols (CardDAV, CalDAV).

The Outlook app uses the Gmail API for accessing Gmail accounts. Guess
Microsoft has deeper pockets to afford higher Gmail API quotas since
I've never encountered the "exceeded API quota" error with that client.

The negative reviews on BlueMail are mounting, and many are recent. As
I recall, BlueMail was quick when initially used, but started to take
eons to fetch new e-mails, even if just for 1 new message. I could
trial a newer version now, but I see users are still complaining about
the horrendous waits for getting new messages.

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk3bs2$6hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22888&group=comp.mobile.android#22888

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:01:20 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 07:01 UTC

On 10/11/2021 10:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>>>
>>> https://bluemail.me/pricing/
>>
>> Yabbut "Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal
>> email app..."
>
> Oy vey, guess I'll need to substitute coffee for the wine in my dinner.
> Their pricing page does have a "Free" subscription service tier. I
> didn't think my foot would really fit inside my mouth. Wrong twice.
> Thanks for the correction.

You're entitled every once in a while. I trust your comments...

> Did they always have this free subscription tier? It's been too long
> since I reviewed several Android apps as e-mail candidates.

As far as I know. I installed it when I got my first smartphone, which
would have been a cheesy BLU in October 2013. I think I had to download
it two more times when I got the next two Motorola phones, but I never
saw anything about subscriptions or fees.

> Hopefully they don't bother with using a Gmail API Account to access
> Gmail accounts, and just use IMAP (and POP for those that still want
> it).

I designated one (or more) of my throwaway gmail accounts as both POP
and IMAP. That seems to work. The intent was to keep all my useful
mail on my real computer, but still allow me to access my mail when I
was away from my computer without having to mark everything unread at
the gmail site.

> Accessing the Gmail API requires an account that has a quota, but
> that limits how many accesses are permitted per day. The default quotas
> on a new Gmail API Account seem high, but not with lots of free users
> making repetitive accesses to their accounts. The owner of the Google
> project (Gmail API account) have to up their quota to get Gmail access
> working again, and anything over the default/original quota has a cost.

Google is really generous with their storage. I don't much care about
mail, which I delete from the site every once in a while, but as long as
the largest dimension of your photos is 1600 pixels storage there is
free. I keep my originals and my edits on my computer and a number of
backups, but the google photo organization is extremely handy since I
just have mine stored by the exif date.

Google does some crappy stuff, but I like some of their stuff enough
that I forgive them.

> The Gmail API is Google's counter to Microsoft Exchange server. The API
> affords more features than using POP or IMAP, especially with sync for
> contact, calendars, tasks, etc. But to use it requires a Google project
> to have an ID for API quotas which enforce a max access counts per day.
> If the Google project (for a Gmail API account) doesn't have a high
> enough quota to handle the load from all their users, their users get
> errors, and cannot access their account. When the quota gets used up,
> users will see an error in their client's log for server status saying
> "exceeded API quota".
>
> For free users, they likely all share the same Google project ID, so
> they're all sharing the same API quota. For paid users, you'd have to
> talk to tech support to see if each user gets their own Google project
> ID to use for Gmail access (unlikely), or if all paid users share the
> same Google project ID, but that has a higher API quota.
>
> If Gmail accounts are defined in BlueMail, can you select IMAP instead
> of having the client default to using the Gmail API (assuming the app
> supports the Gmail API access method)?

Yes. See above.

> Alas, that means loss of
> integration with contacts and calendar except by using more crude but
> standard protocols (CardDAV, CalDAV).

I wish I'd been using some standard calendar format. I've got
tkreminder records going back to 1998, but they're pretty crude. I wish
I'd made more extensive comments -- I hadn't realized how useful the
information would be. "10:00 Jones" from 2003 isn't really all that
informative :-(

> The Outlook app uses the Gmail API for accessing Gmail accounts. Guess
> Microsoft has deeper pockets to afford higher Gmail API quotas since
> I've never encountered the "exceeded API quota" error with that client.
>
> The negative reviews on BlueMail are mounting, and many are recent. As
> I recall, BlueMail was quick when initially used, but started to take
> eons to fetch new e-mails, even if just for 1 new message. I could
> trial a newer version now, but I see users are still complaining about
> the horrendous waits for getting new messages.

No idea. I haven't used it for a while. I use hangouts messaging when
I've got free wifi, and the last time I did that was in May.

--
Cheers, Bev
"My dad used to say: Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you.

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk3d0q$p06$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22889&group=comp.mobile.android#22889

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:20:58 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 07:20 UTC

Am 12.10.21 um 00:34 schrieb The Real Bev:
> On 10/11/2021 02:23 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 11.10.21 um 20:32 schrieb KenW:
>>>
>>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>>
>> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.
>
> I use that on my Pixel2 as well as the two previous Motorola phones. I
> chose it because it allowed me to download mail to the phone ONLY when I
> wanted to -- which might be once a year when I'm on an overnight trip.
> K9 was recommended, but at the time it didn't seem to offer that
> absolutely essential feature.
>
>> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
>> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.
>
> At this point there's no reason to change.

+1

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk3ddg$33u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22890&group=comp.mobile.android#22890

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:27:43 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 07:27 UTC

Am 12.10.21 um 01:12 schrieb VanguardLH:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> KenW:
>>
>>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>>
>> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.
>>
>> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
>> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.
>
> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>
> https://bluemail.me/pricing/

Can't follow you. Blue Mail is free and adfree.

"Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal email app,
featuring smart and elegant user experience and capable of managing an
unlimited number of mail accounts from various providers. Blue Mail
allows for smart push notifications and group emailing while enabling
personalization across multiple email accounts. Being ad-free, Blue Mail
is the perfect replacement for your stock email app."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.bluemail.mail&hl=en&gl=us

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Comments about an email program

<isloahFcverU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22910&group=comp.mobile.android#22910

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:35:44 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:35 UTC

On 10/11/2021 10:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>>>
>>> https://bluemail.me/pricing/
>>
>> Yabbut "Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal
>> email app..."
>
> Oy vey, guess I'll need to substitute coffee for the wine in my dinner.
> Their pricing page does have a "Free" subscription service tier. I
> didn't think my foot would really fit inside my mouth. Wrong twice.
> Thanks for the correction.

I use the free version of Bluemail and it's fine for my needs.

--
Ken

Re: Comments about an email program

<islodvFcverU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22912&group=comp.mobile.android#22912

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:37:34 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:37 UTC

On 10/12/2021 12:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/11/2021 10:32 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yabbut "Blue Mail is a free, secure, beautifully designed, universal
>>> email app..."
>>
>> Oy vey, guess I'll need to substitute coffee for the wine in my dinner.
>> Their pricing page does have a "Free" subscription service tier. I
>> didn't think my foot would really fit inside my mouth. Wrong twice.
>> Thanks for the correction.
>
> You're entitled every once in a while.

None of us is perfect, and every now and then...

> I trust your comments...

I generally do too, even though I disagree with him once in a while.

--
Ken

Re: Comments about an email program

<isloi7FcverU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22913&group=comp.mobile.android#22913

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:39:51 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:39 UTC

On 10/12/2021 12:27 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 12.10.21 um 01:12 schrieb VanguardLH:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> KenW:

>>> On my Pixel 4 Bluemail is my current choice.
>>>
>>> I also used K9 already but it offers too many options and is by far not
>>> as clearly arranged as Bluemail.
>>
>> I've looked at BlueMail, but it's subscriptionware. Pricing shown at:
>>
>> https://bluemail.me/pricing/
>
> Can't follow you. Blue Mail is free and adfree.

There's a free plan, a business plan ($4.99 per month) and an enterprise
plan ($6.99) per month. I use the free plan and it's fine for me.

--
Ken

Re: Comments about an email program

<sk4mcl$34q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22932&group=comp.mobile.android#22932

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:06:59 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:06 UTC

On 10/12/2021 08:37 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 10/12/2021 12:01 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Oy vey, guess I'll need to substitute coffee for the wine in my dinner.
>>> Their pricing page does have a "Free" subscription service tier. I
>>> didn't think my foot would really fit inside my mouth. Wrong twice.
>>> Thanks for the correction.
>>
>> You're entitled every once in a while.
>
> None of us is perfect, and every now and then...

None of YOU is perfect <hem hem>...

>> I trust your comments...
>
> I generally do too, even though I disagree with him once in a while.

If we can tolerate the misbegotten wrong-headed liberal ideas of our
feeble-minded friends, surely disagreements about cellphones are trivial.

--
Cheers, Bev
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Re: Comments about an email program

<60jww5c4476p$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22941&group=comp.mobile.android#22941

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 15:31:14 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:31 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> I use the free version of Bluemail and it's fine for my needs.

I added a shortcut on my desktop to their web site as a reminder to
re-trial their app again. Just hope it's not overly glitzy. I just
want an e-mail app, and not bloatware.

Re: Comments about an email program

<f4ddmghqrnal0p8f3r2c6uccr8op1jr4j1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22984&group=comp.mobile.android#22984

From: davidm_u...@hotmail.com (Davidm)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 11:31:01 +0100
 by: Davidm - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 10:31 UTC

wrote:

>On 10/11/2021 11:32 AM, KenW wrote:
>>
>> Can be free or pay. I use POP3. Have tried 3 or 4, but still looking.
>> I am not a cell phone or tablet person, but have both.
>

>I like BlueMail.
Can the calendar in the free version of BlueMail sync with a Google
calendar on a Windows PC (like the google.android calendar does -
bidirectionally)?

Re: Comments about an email program

<1rht0nr8lydf5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22988&group=comp.mobile.android#22988

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:45:19 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:45 UTC

Davidm <davidm_uk-notme@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can the calendar in the free version of BlueMail sync with a Google
> calendar on a Windows PC (like the google.android calendar does -
> bidirectionally)?

Just to be sure you understand, synchronization is between devices and
server, not between devices. Calendar on device A syncs with the
server, and calendar on device B also syncs with server. Devices are
sync'ed to each through the server.

Bidirectional calendar synchronization requires Microsoft's Exchange or
Google's Calendar API. While the Gmail API is bidirectional, it only
supports messaging (e-mail), not calendaring for which there are
separate Calendar API and CalDAV API solutions:

https://developers.google.com/calendar/api
https://developers.google.com/calendar/caldav/v2/guide

Two-way calendar synchronization uses iCalender format in a file (.ics)
and the CalDAV protocol. Bidirectional will immediately show adds,
deletes, and modifications to events at client and server. Two-way will
lag until the .ics file transfer has completed and the client or server
gets around to processing the queued job. Sometimes the lag can test or
exceed your patience waiting for changes on one device to get to the
server and then show up on another device. When the lag is short, 2-way
CalDAV sync is great to reflect changes between devices. When it's
long, CalDAV sucks.

I found the following article on BlueMail supporting CalDAV:

https://bluemail.help/calendar-caldav/

I did not find mention of BlueMail supporting Google's iCalendar API.
You can find out if an app supports CalDAV, because it has to get
configured for the hostname for where to find the CalDAV server. I
would expect a calendar app by Google connecting to Google's Calendar
service to use Google's faster bidirectional Calender API, not the
slower 2-way CalDAV, but it would be stuck with CalDAV when connecting
to calendaring services from other providers. That is, to bias their
own app as more responsive and reliable, I'd expect them to use their
more responsive Calender API access protocol.

CalDAV only requires a server. Google's Calendar API (and others, like
Gmail API) require a Google project (account). The API calls in an app
go through the Google project ID. While the initial API count quota in
a new Google project looks huge, like a billion API calls, every sync
event between client and server incurs dozens of API calls, and then
multiply that by the number of users of that app all going through the
same Google project. I use a desktop e-mail client (eM Client) that
supports using the Gmail API. Alas, users started reporting failures to
connect to the server a few years ago. Their logs shows "exceeded API
count". The Google ID reference was the same in all logs showing that
all users of that client were using the same Google project to issue API
calls to Gmail. The app author upped his API quota (which costs money),
but it was consumed within 3 days, because users were already exceeded
the API quota before. So, there's good reason why why many apps don't
use the Google APIs: a large number of users can tax and exceed the app
author's Google project quota, and upping the quota costs money which is
hard to qualify for free apps. Tis likely why I couldn't find BlueMail
supports Google's Calendar API, and instead just goes with iCalendar
data transfer via CalDAV.

While Google relies on their APIs to equate to bidirectional sync
available with Exchange, Google doesn't run a free Exchange server. .
There are services that offer an Exchange server that then use Google's
Calendar API to effect bidirectional sync where the client uses
Exchange, and server uses Google's Calendar API
(https://support.google.com/work/android/answer/7065453?hl=en); however,
anyone offering Exchange usually wants money. Google had their sync
service (https://support.google.com/a/answer/135937?hl=en) for paid,
business, or school accounts via Google Workspaces
(https://workspace.google.com/) which was formerly their G Suite, but
that costs money, and Google Sync is getting transitioned out because it
didn't support OAUTH (something Google is big on, especially after they
fucked it up by changing it from a protocol in OAUTH 1 to a framework in
OAUTH 2 which leaves open how to implement it, and because it allows
tracking of where are their users through an OAUTH token). CalDAV
access is free from Google and many other e-mail providers, but not all
since a CalDAV server must be setup and maintained which usually entails
WebDAV, CalDAV, and CardDAV.