From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Against Innovation
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:25:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:25 UTC

# Against Innovation

Which is why, two years ago this month, I disconnected my recording
studio from the internet entirely. This wasn't an analog rebellion--I
didn't trash my studio computer and replace it with vintage tape
machines. On the contrary, I did it to preserve the digital audio
tools I have come to rely on. I wanted my tools to continue working
the way I know. That familiarity is part of my skillset in the
studio--and as a self-taught, DIY audio engineer, I don't have a lot
of skills to spare.

What had happened earlier that spring was a routine software update
to a piece of my digital studio. But the update rendered a different,
crucial piece incompatible. So I updated that. Which made another
piece incompatible--an expensive piece. And I couldn't update that.
(This was at the height of the pandemic. Who could afford to update
anything?)

Moreover, I was in the middle of a project--mixing our album A Sky
Record--and I very much wanted to continue along the lines I had
started. In the digital era, we are all accustomed to fast moving
technology–-but could I really no longer make it through even one
album from start to finish on the same equipment? And if not, how do
we ever come to any kind of mastery of our tools?

The network betraying my studio was also the source of answers to
such questions, of course; I went online and started asking everyone
I know in audio engineering how to deal with this situation. To my
surprise, the advice I got back was nearly unanimous: unplug. Stop
updating. Revert to the stable system you had before. And take
everything offline so this doesn't happen again.

It seemed a clever solution to my small-scale, personal studio
problem. But I was taken aback when some of the professionals who
offered this advice said it is what they do, too. Even with their
very extensive skillsets. Could it be that some of the most
sophisticated audio technicians I know--mastering engineers in
particular, those tasked in our industry with maintaining and
constantly improving audio standards--choose to ignore innovation for
the sake of stability?

This counterintuitive approach reminded me of Susan Sontag's early
essay, "Against Interpretation" (1964), where she urged not only
critics but artists themselves to ignore the contemporary rage for
symbolism, for heavy interpretive frameworks. "What is important now
is to recover our senses. We must learn to see more, to hear more, to
feel more," she wrote, trying to free Kafka and Beckett from the
endless updates critics were then imposing on these texts. Sontag
looked at mushrooming interpretations as so much distraction:

From: https://dadadrummer.substack.com/p/against-innovation

Re: Against Innovation

<esregj-9mk.ln1@berry.solani.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2300&group=comp.misc#2300

From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Against Innovation
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:05:34 +0100
 by: Retrograde - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 02:05 UTC

On 2023-04-09, Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
> # Against Innovation
> What had happened earlier that spring was a routine software update
> to a piece of my digital studio. But the update rendered a different,
> crucial piece incompatible. So I updated that. Which made another
> piece incompatible--an expensive piece. And I couldn't update that.
> (This was at the height of the pandemic. Who could afford to update
> anything?)

I can relate. Can't remember the instigating factor, but somehow my
ipod needed [?] new firmware, which required an update of itunes, which
would not install on the version of OSX I had installed, and the newer
version of OSX would not install on my hardware. So the only solution
Apple had for whatever I was doing involved buying a new computer to
replace a perfectly well-cared for, functioning computer. Boy was I
steamed.

Re: Against Innovation

<u12kbb$2gf76$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2301&group=comp.misc#2301

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:31:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:31 UTC

Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-04-09, Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
>> # Against Innovation
>> What had happened earlier that spring was a routine software update
>> to a piece of my digital studio. But the update rendered a different,
>> crucial piece incompatible. So I updated that. Which made another
>> piece incompatible--an expensive piece. And I couldn't update that.
>> (This was at the height of the pandemic. Who could afford to update
>> anything?)
>
> I can relate. Can't remember the instigating factor, but somehow my
> ipod needed [?] new firmware, which required an update of itunes, which
> would not install on the version of OSX I had installed, and the newer
> version of OSX would not install on my hardware. So the only solution
> Apple had for whatever I was doing involved buying a new computer to
> replace a perfectly well-cared for, functioning computer. Boy was I
> steamed.

This was purposeful. Can't keep the corporate profits up if everyone
keeps using their "perfectly well-cared for, functioning computer[s]"
on and on and on. There are no new computer hardware sales from
existing purchasers from that path.

So to keep the treadmill of "new computer sales" moving, they have to
"expire" your old hardware long before its physical limits are reached.