This system will self-destruct in five minutes.

computers / comp.mail.mutt / Re: instlaling mutt on linux

SubjectAuthor
* instlaling mutt on linuxM.R.P.
+* Re: instlaling mutt on linuxRathbone
|`- Re: instlaling mutt on linuxJorgen Grahn
+- Re: instlaling mutt on linuxVolker Englisch
`- Re: instlaling mutt on linuxdowntime null

1
Subject: instlaling mutt on linux
From: M.R.P.
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 22:40 UTC
From: wintermu...@icloud.com (M.R.P.)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 22:40:39 GMT
View all headers
Hello I have installed mutt on linux and when I run it get the message.no
mailbox /var/mail/zenkde: no such file or directory. What do i need to
create and were is the best place on my system for mutt config files.

Subject: Re: instlaling mutt on linux
From: Rathbone
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 05:13 UTC
From: ple...@replytolist.com (Rathbone)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 05:13:01 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
On 2020-06-06, M.R.P. wrote:
Hello I have installed mutt on linux and when I run it get the message.no
mailbox /var/mail/zenkde: no such file or directory. What do i need to
create and were is the best place on my system for mutt config files.

This is a big and broad question. When you start up mutt, it's trying to
read your standard UNIX mailspool, which must not exist because you
haven't configured an MTA to deliver mail there.

If you're interested in learning about and configuring mutt, I would
start with this website:

http://mutt.postle.net/

It's a bit old at this point, but it is still helpful to get you into
the mindset of what mutt is, what it isn't, and how to get started.

From there, you can move on to the mutt manual, which may have come with
mutt on your distribution, but if not, you can view it here:

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/

From: Jorgen Grahn
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:00 UTC
From: grahn+n...@snipabacken.se (Jorgen Grahn)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: 7 Jun 2020 06:00:14 GMT
View all headers
On 2020-06-06, M.R.P. wrote:
Hello I have installed mutt on linux and when I run it get the message.no
mailbox /var/mail/zenkde: no such file or directory. What do i need to
create and were is the best place on my system for mutt config files.

This is a big and broad question. When you start up mutt, it's trying to
read your standard UNIX mailspool, which must not exist because you
haven't configured an MTA to deliver mail there.

Or he has, but noone has sent any mail to it ...

[snip links to documentation]

The traditional Unix way of dealing with mail is letting the system
handle it.  An MTA puts incoming mail in /var/mail/$USER; calling
/usr/lib/sendmail makes the MTA send a mail.  Then people can use Mutt
or any traditional mailer they prefer.

Later mailers began to handle remote mailboxes using POP3 or IMAP, and
send mail using SMTP.  And mutt added support for such things too.

There are a number of options:

- Configure your Linux system (your MTA) the traditional way.  This
  may mean running fetchmail or something to drain remote mailboxes
  into your local MTA.

- Skip that and configure Mutt to use IMAP or whatever you have.

  In that scenario you should at least make local->local mail work the
  traditional way, so that utilities like cron and at can send mail to
  zenkden when something goes wrong -- and ensure that Mutt still can
  show the system mailbox.

I have always done it the traditional way, but I suspect most don't.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .     .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .

From: Volker Englisch
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 15:50 UTC
From: vne2...@rrzli.de (Volker Englisch)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 17:50:55 +0200
View all headers
M.R.P. schrieb am 06.06.2020:
Hello I have installed mutt on linux and when I run it get the message.no
mailbox /var/mail/zenkde: no such file or directory. What do i need to
create

# touch /var/mail/zenkde
# chown zenkde /var/mail/zenkde

and maybe a chmod 600 too.

Like the others stated, there is no such file, because noone sent you
some mail yet.

From: downtime null
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 01:22 UTC
From: downt...@samurai.localnet (downtime null)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 01:22:49 +0000 (UTC)
M.R.P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:
Hello I have installed mutt on linux and when I run it get the message.no
mailbox /var/mail/zenkde: no such file or directory. What do i need to
create and were is the best place on my system for mutt config files.

What exactly are you trying to do? Mutt and Neomutt are extremely
configurable and flexible MUAs, meaning that if you want anything more
than the very basic, default functionality, you will have to configure
it. This is typically in ~/.muttrc or similar. If you are trying to
check mail on an IMAP server, you will have to setup that account
information in the Mutt config. I would recommend using Neomutt, unless
you have some reason for wanting to use Mutt specifically, and referring
to the guide at https://neomutt.org/guide/ That will get you started.