Are you having fun yet?

devel / alt.msdos.batch / Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

SubjectAuthor
* Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at willJerry Friedman
+- Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at willZaidy036
+* Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at willJJ
|`- Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at willDallas
`- Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at willPhilip Herlihy

1
Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

<tedaqe$ihi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=230&group=alt.msdos.batch#230

From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Subject: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:48:13 -0600
 by: Jerry Friedman - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 14:48 UTC

There are about a dozen folders scattered about I like to open when needed.
I want to open them by name (because that is what I remember, that's why!).
:)

I could put a shortcut to each named folder on the taskbar or desktop.
I could pin a menu to each of the named folders on the taskbar.
But that uses up important real estate for things used only sporadically.

All I remember is the name of the folder when I need that folder.

I wish I could just type the name and that would open the folder.
Win+R Folder_A Enter

But I can't just put that name in the app paths registry key.
App Paths = C:\pathto\Folder_A

But I can create a SHORTCUT to the folder & put THAT in the registry.
Target = C:\pathto\Folder_A
App Paths = C:\differentpath\Folder_A.lnk

That's pretty efficient given it's easy to create them at will.
Win+R Folder_A Enter

And more important, it's easy to REMEMBER what they are when needed.
But is there anything even faster and more efficient and even easier?

Like maybe a batch file that can handle ANY folder that can run easily?
Win+R Batchfile_A-Z Enter
--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

<tederj$b0ce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=231&group=alt.msdos.batch#231

From: Eri...@Bloch.com (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:56:34 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 15:56 UTC

On 8/27/2022 10:48 AM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> There are about a dozen folders scattered about I like to open when needed.
> I want to open them by name (because that is what I remember, that's
> why!). :)
>
> I could put a shortcut to each named folder on the taskbar or desktop.
> I could pin a menu to each of the named folders on the taskbar.
> But that uses up important real estate for things used only sporadically.
>
> All I remember is the name of the folder when I need that folder.
>
> I wish I could just type the name and that would open the folder.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> But I can't just put that name in the app paths registry key.
> App Paths = C:\pathto\Folder_A
>
> But I can create a SHORTCUT to the folder & put THAT in the registry.
> Target = C:\pathto\Folder_A
> App Paths = C:\differentpath\Folder_A.lnk
>
> That's pretty efficient given it's easy to create them at will.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> And more important, it's easy to REMEMBER what they are when needed.
> But is there anything even faster and more efficient and even easier?
>
> Like maybe a batch file that can handle ANY folder that can run easily?
> Win+R Batchfile_A-Z Enter
batch run by one shortcut;
- 1. asks for a name (SET /P _Folder=) which operator types in
- 2. batch contains one line for each folder name:
IF %_Folder% EQU aFolderName (explorer "[path]" & EXIT)
- 3. at end: echo _Folder does not exist
- 4. cmd /k

Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

<bo4ipr119ej8$.nbujykp7p57x.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=232&group=alt.msdos.batch#232

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 23:04:57 +0700
 by: JJ - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:04 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:48:13 -0600, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> There are about a dozen folders scattered about I like to open when needed.
> I want to open them by name (because that is what I remember, that's why!).
> :)
>
> I could put a shortcut to each named folder on the taskbar or desktop.
> I could pin a menu to each of the named folders on the taskbar.
> But that uses up important real estate for things used only sporadically.
>
> All I remember is the name of the folder when I need that folder.
>
> I wish I could just type the name and that would open the folder.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> But I can't just put that name in the app paths registry key.
> App Paths = C:\pathto\Folder_A
>
> But I can create a SHORTCUT to the folder & put THAT in the registry.
> Target = C:\pathto\Folder_A
> App Paths = C:\differentpath\Folder_A.lnk
>
> That's pretty efficient given it's easy to create them at will.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> And more important, it's easy to REMEMBER what they are when needed.
> But is there anything even faster and more efficient and even easier?
>
> Like maybe a batch file that can handle ANY folder that can run easily?
> Win+R Batchfile_A-Z Enter

Where the radomization takes part on this? What you've described requires
that you specifically inputted an exact folder name.

Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

<MPG.3d746d2dfb8d6027989a18@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=233&group=alt.msdos.batch#233

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.msdos.batch
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 19:05:06 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 18:05 UTC

In article <tedaqe$ihi$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Jerry Friedman wrote...

> There are about a dozen folders scattered about I like to open when needed.
> I want to open them by name (because that is what I remember, that's why!).
> :)
>
> I could put a shortcut to each named folder on the taskbar or desktop.
> I could pin a menu to each of the named folders on the taskbar.
> But that uses up important real estate for things used only sporadically.
>
> All I remember is the name of the folder when I need that folder.
>
> I wish I could just type the name and that would open the folder.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> But I can't just put that name in the app paths registry key.
> App Paths = C:\pathto\Folder_A
>
> But I can create a SHORTCUT to the folder & put THAT in the registry.
> Target = C:\pathto\Folder_A
> App Paths = C:\differentpath\Folder_A.lnk
>
> That's pretty efficient given it's easy to create them at will.
> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>
> And more important, it's easy to REMEMBER what they are when needed.
> But is there anything even faster and more efficient and even easier?
>
> Like maybe a batch file that can handle ANY folder that can run easily?
> Win+R Batchfile_A-Z Enter

I think there's an easier way, and that's to rely on Windows Search. Just tap
the Windows key, and start typing the name of your folder. Unless you have
loads with very similar names, it should pop up in the search results. For my
folder 'manuals' I have to type the whole thing before the various folders of
that name come up among the results of all types (including web results), but
if you click on the top bar "More" and then "Folders" you exclude all that
other stuff. Search learns from your search history as well, so it becomes
progressively easier. Worth a look at the associated settings, too.

--

Phil, London

Re: Easiest way to open a random Windows folder at will

<teekh3$he26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=234&group=alt.msdos.batch#234

From: dal...@texas.usa (Dallas)
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 21:39:28 -0500
 by: Dallas - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 02:39 UTC

On 8/27/2022 11:04 AM, JJ wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:48:13 -0600, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>> There are about a dozen folders scattered about I like to open when needed.
>> I want to open them by name (because that is what I remember, that's why!).
>> :)
>>
>> I could put a shortcut to each named folder on the taskbar or desktop.
>> I could pin a menu to each of the named folders on the taskbar.
>> But that uses up important real estate for things used only sporadically.
>>
>> All I remember is the name of the folder when I need that folder.
>>
>> I wish I could just type the name and that would open the folder.
>> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>>
>> But I can't just put that name in the app paths registry key.
>> App Paths = C:\pathto\Folder_A
>>
>> But I can create a SHORTCUT to the folder & put THAT in the registry.
>> Target = C:\pathto\Folder_A
>> App Paths = C:\differentpath\Folder_A.lnk
>>
>> That's pretty efficient given it's easy to create them at will.
>> Win+R Folder_A Enter
>>
>> And more important, it's easy to REMEMBER what they are when needed.
>> But is there anything even faster and more efficient and even easier?
>>
>> Like maybe a batch file that can handle ANY folder that can run easily?
>> Win+R Batchfile_A-Z Enter
>
> Where the radomization takes part on this? What you've described requires
> that you specifically inputted an exact folder name.

I interpreted that as "an arbitrary Windows folder" where it was written "a random Windows folder"
(after I read the context of the post)