From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Galen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: DS10 free “to a good home”
:-)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 16:23:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Galen - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 16:23 UTC

I’ve decided to part with the DS10 I’ve been tinkering with on and off for
the last 18 years or so. I haven’t made much use of it, or even had it
powered on very frequently, except most recently during the height of the
COVID crisis when I did manage to while away some time with it.

It’s yours for the asking, if you or a friend came get to within 30 miles
or so of Charlottesville, VA. (I can’t afford shipping. If it’s worth it to
you, though, I can get a rough estimate on shipping within the USA.)
(I have a climate controlled storage closet at home, if you are interested
but need some time to get here.)

It’s the 617 MHz model with 1 GB RAM, a VMS compatible dual-channel SCSI
card (which incorporates an additional twisted-pair Ethernet port), a third
party but VMS and DECwindows compatible graphics card, a two year old
Islandco-branded power supply, and a replaceable-battery “Dallas” clock
chip.

It has an internally mounted two hard drives: a Fujitsu MAP3367NC 36.7 GB
10K RPM SCSI hard drive that I bought as “new old-stock” two years ago,
along with a WD Caviar Blue 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE drive (manufactured 2006).

It also has a Sony 52x IDE CD burner that I bought new about 18 years ago,
and its original floppy drive.

The CPU fan is also the original—in other words, quite old.

At present everything but the floppy drive has been tested recently and
works. (I’ve never tried out the floppy drive.)

Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<6ef07b29-dd32-4bbe-8cb8-dd831bd7b36en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23074&group=comp.os.vms#23074

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)
From: ef3...@gmail.com (Eric Fox)
 by: Eric Fox - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 19:05 UTC

On Saturday, June 4, 2022 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-4, Galen wrote:
> I’ve decided to part with the DS10 I’ve been tinkering with on and off for
> the last 18 years or so. I haven’t made much use of it, or even had it
> powered on very frequently, except most recently during the height of the
> COVID crisis when I did manage to while away some time with it.
>
> It’s yours for the asking, if you or a friend came get to within 30 miles
> or so of Charlottesville, VA. (I can’t afford shipping. If it’s worth it to
> you, though, I can get a rough estimate on shipping within the USA.)
> (I have a climate controlled storage closet at home, if you are interested
> but need some time to get here.)
>
> It’s the 617 MHz model with 1 GB RAM, a VMS compatible dual-channel SCSI
> card (which incorporates an additional twisted-pair Ethernet port), a third
> party but VMS and DECwindows compatible graphics card, a two year old
> Islandco-branded power supply, and a replaceable-battery “Dallas” clock
> chip.
>
> It has an internally mounted two hard drives: a Fujitsu MAP3367NC 36.7 GB
> 10K RPM SCSI hard drive that I bought as “new old-stock” two years ago,
> along with a WD Caviar Blue 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE drive (manufactured 2006).
>
> It also has a Sony 52x IDE CD burner that I bought new about 18 years ago,
> and its original floppy drive.
>
> The CPU fan is also the original—in other words, quite old.
>
> At present everything but the floppy drive has been tested recently and
> works. (I’ve never tried out the floppy drive.)
I am in VA, up in Loudoun County, and am interested in adding this machine to my collection. I currently have some Sun, SGI, Apple, and a mix of varied PC's. Always been interested in getting a DEC box to learn on. I'm willing to meet at a halfway point 30-50mi or cover shipping. Thanks!

Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<t7h286$19lk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23075&group=comp.os.vms#23075

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Galen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: DS10 free “to a good
home” :-)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 01:52:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Galen - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 01:52 UTC

Eric wrote:
> I am in VA, up in Loudoun County, and am interested in adding this
> machine to my collection. I currently have some Sun, SGI, Apple, and a
> mix of varied PC's. Always been interested in getting a DEC box to learn
> on. I'm willing to meet at a halfway point 30-50mi or cover shipping. Thanks!

I’d be happy to meet you if we can arrange a convenient area to meet. We
have family in Warrenton, and though we can’t visit long there (allergic to
their cats and chaos) we could perhaps meet up briefly with them as well.
Our longtime home church is in Haymarket, even a little closer to Loudon,
and we haven’t had a chance to visit there recently.

Where in Loudon are you?

You can email me at this throwaway email address:

freeds10@opayq.com

Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<t7p54i$818$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23094&group=comp.os.vms#23094

From: supratim...@riseremovemeup.net (Supratim Sanyal)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 23:30:26 -0400
 by: Supratim Sanyal - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 03:30 UTC

On 6/4/22 12:23 PM, Galen wrote:

> It’s yours for the asking, if you or a friend came get to within 30 miles
> or so of Charlottesville, VA. (I can’t afford shipping. If it’s worth it to
> you, though, I can get a rough estimate on shipping within the USA.)
> (I have a climate controlled storage closet at home, if you are interested
> but need some time to get here.)

I am in Germantown, MD and have a MicroVAX and SparcStation. Would love
to add the DS10 if it is still available; I can drive down to
Charlottesville. I can be reached at supratim at riseup dot net. Thanks.

Re: Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<t7rc58$e78$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23110&group=comp.os.vms#23110

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)
Date: 8 Jun 2022 23:42:32 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 23:42 UTC

On 6/4/22 12:23 PM, Galen wrote:

> It’s yours for the asking, if you or a friend came get to within 30 miles
> or so of Charlottesville, VA. (I can’t afford shipping. If it’s worth it to
> you, though, I can get a rough estimate on shipping within the USA.)
> (I have a climate controlled storage closet at home, if you are interested
> but need some time to get here.)

You know, UVA has a small computer museum in a room run by their CS
department. I am sure they'd love a DS10.
--scott

Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<t7rp3j$1228$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23113&group=comp.os.vms#23113

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Galen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
home” :-)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 03:23:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Galen - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 03:23 UTC

Supratim Sanyal <supratimdeleteme@riseremovemeup.net> wrote:

> I am in Germantown, MD and have a MicroVAX and SparcStation. Would love
> to add the DS10 if it is still available; I can drive down to
> Charlottesville. I can be reached at supratim at riseup dot net. Thanks.

Eric Fox in northern VA was first to express interest. If he and I can’t
work out a meeting in the next few weeks, I’ll let you know.

Re: DS10 free “to a good home” :-)

<t7rp3n$1228$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23114&group=comp.os.vms#23114

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Galen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
home” :-)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 03:23:35 -0000 (UTC)

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> You know, UVA has a small computer museum in a room run by their CS
> department. I am sure they'd love a DS10.

Great idea! Knowing it was still nearby would be nice, and I’d have
bragging rights to local colleagues and friends. Maybe could even work out
some volunteer arrangement. (I’m also friendly with a longtime professor,
now emeritus, in that department .)

I’ll contact Eric, who I think should have first claim, and see what he
thinks.