You are in the hall of the mountain king.

devel / comp.arch / Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statement

SubjectAuthor
* Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statementANMOL SAXENA
+- Re: Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statementMitchAlsup
`- Re: Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statementThomas Koenig

1
Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statement

<1f6f7fd1-7ddc-4e74-836b-27d2bc4f8f0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23263&group=comp.arch#23263

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:16:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statement
From: 201911...@daiict.ac.in (ANMOL SAXENA)
 by: ANMOL SAXENA - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 04:16 UTC

Write a python program to generate coverpoints which indicate hazards between an ADD and MUL instruction separated by N instructions. The coverpoints should cover all 4 hazards(RAR, RAW, WAW, WAR) for both consuming and non-consuming scenarios.

Hi. Is anyone here aware of a sample program which relates to this problem statement and can be utilised as a template, and for study purposes ?

Thanks in advance !

Re: Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statement

<0cca0794-f811-4078-83c7-0dc290b4aa62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23265&group=comp.arch#23265

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:18:16 -0800 (PST)
From: MitchAl...@aol.com (MitchAlsup)
 by: MitchAlsup - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 17:18 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 10:16:32 PM UTC-6, ANMOL SAXENA wrote:
> Write a python program to generate coverpoints which indicate hazards between an ADD and MUL instruction separated by N instructions. The coverpoints should cover all 4 hazards(RAR, RAW, WAW, WAR) for both consuming and non-consuming scenarios.
<
RAW, WAW, and WAR are all performed by a CDC 6600 Scoreboard.
RAW is the std forward data flow calculation of the SB and performed before beginning calculation
WAR is the std reverse data flow calculation of the SB and performed before writing the register file
WAW is performed by not letting the second write into the execution window
Don't know why you would need RAR unless you are reading an I/O device control register. But this would be fairly easy to add to the CDC 6600 Scoreboard.

> Hi. Is anyone here aware of a sample program which relates to this problem statement and can be utilised as a template, and for study purposes ?
>
> Thanks in advance !

Re: Python based coverpoints inclusion problem statement

<sth60p$m0j$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23266&group=comp.arch#23266

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 18:13:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 18:13 UTC

ANMOL SAXENA <201911053@daiict.ac.in> schrieb:
> Write a python program to generate coverpoints which indicate
> hazards between an ADD and MUL instruction separated by N
>instructions. The coverpoints should cover all 4 hazards(RAR,
> RAW, WAW, WAR) for both consuming and non-consuming scenarios.

> Hi. Is anyone here aware of a sample program which relates to
> this problem statement and can be utilised as a template, and for
> study purposes ?

I don't to Python, but the task should be fairly trivial.

If you have access to any RISC-based machine which supports
binutils, I have found it easiest to parse the output of
objdump --disassemble with something like this in Perl:

while (<>) {
($addr, undef, undef, undef, undef, $instr, $oper) = split (' ');
next unless defined($instr);
next unless defined($oper);
next if (substr($instr,0,1) eq ".");
next if $instr eq "nop";
$count{$instr}++;

and if, for example, the hash %ds contains a list of
instructions in a certain format,
if (exists($ds{$instr})) {

The rest is just counting instructions and identifying
the different hazards.

HTH.