Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 06:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Tragedy at Intel - Part I
From: vasco.co...@gmail.com (Vasco Costa)
 by: Vasco Costa - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:46 UTC

(and only)

- You build i860, delay i960, and blew up your shot at RISC.
- DEC implodes and you get StrongARM. For free.
- You blow that up in favor of Atom and sell the dregs to Broadcom or Marvell (no not the Comic Industry guys).
- You design Atom to be an in-order processor instead of OoO.
- You blow up once ARM goes OoO as you release an in-order processor.
- ARM goes vertical and server processors begin to mature.
- Your one saving grace, process technology for mass manufacture on the cheap, fails, hard. You get delays. You can't test for the same mass manufacture levels as TSMC.
- You have EUV machines which you don't use to keep costs at rock bottom. Other companies figure out how to make EUV work for them first. Oops. You have a Japanese machine tool vendor kept on drip feed which can't supply EUV tools yet so you have a EUV litho machine tool monopoly.

Intel please uncrew yourselves. From a dedicated AMD user which is sad at these failures (hey my first PC did use an Intel Pentium).

Regards,
-Vasc

Re: The Tragedy at Intel - Part I

<stl2ku$1q83$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23289&group=comp.arch#23289

From: nospam1...@invalid.com (MacUser)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: The Tragedy at Intel - Part I
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:40:46 -0800
 by: MacUser - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:40 UTC

On 8/25/21 06:46, Vasco Costa wrote:
> (and only)
>
> - You build i860, delay i960, and blew up your shot at RISC.
> - DEC implodes and you get StrongARM. For free.
> - You blow that up in favor of Atom and sell the dregs to Broadcom or Marvell (no not the Comic Industry guys).
> - You design Atom to be an in-order processor instead of OoO.
> - You blow up once ARM goes OoO as you release an in-order processor.
> - ARM goes vertical and server processors begin to mature.
> - Your one saving grace, process technology for mass manufacture on the cheap, fails, hard. You get delays. You can't test for the same mass manufacture levels as TSMC.
> - You have EUV machines which you don't use to keep costs at rock bottom. Other companies figure out how to make EUV work for them first. Oops. You have a Japanese machine tool vendor kept on drip feed which can't supply EUV tools yet so you have a EUV litho machine tool monopoly.
>
> Intel please uncrew yourselves. From a dedicated AMD user which is sad at these failures (hey my first PC did use an Intel Pentium).
>
> Regards,
> -Vasc

Seems interesting