The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage / Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

SubjectAuthor
* What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting variouAnt
+* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaVanguardLH
|+* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaAnt
||`* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaVanguardLH
|| `* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaAnt
||  +- Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaAnt
||  `- Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaVanguardLH
|`* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaComputer Nerd Kev
| `- Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaVanguardLH
`* Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaComputer Nerd Kev
 `- Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting vaAnt

1
What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<kxicnSXFs75opAL4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=226&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#226

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:44:37 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:44 UTC

Hello,

What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives. Same for
various sized drives. I know the drives still work too if used inside
computers. That's annoying for quick usages and my disabilities. :(

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them." --Proverbs 1:10. Dang brokeness, cold, life, etc.
| |o o| |

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<6egm52469v5s$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=227&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#227

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:57:36 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:57 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
> connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
> but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
> Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives. Same for
> various sized drives. I know the drives still work too if used inside
> computers. That's annoying for quick usages and my disabilities. :(

Did you check both the output voltage and output amperage of the A/C
adapters? The adapter has to put out more voltage and amperes than what
get consumed by the USB case (with its hardware protocol translation
hardware) and the drive inside, so you need to also check the specs on
the drive, like voltage, amperes, and even surge amperes when it starts
to spin up.

USB ports can output only 5 VDC, and a limited amount of amperes. You
didn't say if you were connecting to USB 1, 2, or 3 ports. However,
since you mentioned A/C adapters, presuming all of the USB enclosures
you are using for external drives have their own power source via A/C
adapter. Some USB drive enclosures come with a Y-adapter that uses 2
USB ports on the host (computer or powered hub) in trying to up how many
amperes can be drawn from 2 ports instead of 1. Those don't have their
own power (A/C adapter).

Whose USB enclosures are you using?

When putting drives (always SATA, not old IDE/ATA) into a USB enclosure,
only rarely have I inserted a 3.5" drive intended for internal use.
Usually I put in a 2.5" laptop drive since those draw less power.

SATA drives only require 5 VDC power. You mentioned IDE. You're really
trying to put an IDE drive in an external USB enclosure? IDE drives
take both 5 and 12 VDC input on their power connection. 2.5" drives
typically use 5V motors, but larger drives typically use 12V motors.
What's the output voltage on the A/C adapter you are using with a USB
enclosure providing the USB-to-IDE hardware protocol converter?

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<BC6dnVe9X9egGgL4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=228&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#228

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:14:21 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:14 UTC

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
> > connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
> > but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
> > Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives. Same for
> > various sized drives. I know the drives still work too if used inside
> > computers. That's annoying for quick usages and my disabilities. :(

> Did you check both the output voltage and output amperage of the A/C
> adapters? The adapter has to put out more voltage and amperes than what
> get consumed by the USB case (with its hardware protocol translation
> hardware) and the drive inside, so you need to also check the specs on
> the drive, like voltage, amperes, and even surge amperes when it starts
> to spin up.

> USB ports can output only 5 VDC, and a limited amount of amperes. You
> didn't say if you were connecting to USB 1, 2, or 3 ports. However,
> since you mentioned A/C adapters, presuming all of the USB enclosures
> you are using for external drives have their own power source via A/C
> adapter. Some USB drive enclosures come with a Y-adapter that uses 2
> USB ports on the host (computer or powered hub) in trying to up how many
> amperes can be drawn from 2 ports instead of 1. Those don't have their
> own power (A/C adapter).

> Whose USB enclosures are you using?

> When putting drives (always SATA, not old IDE/ATA) into a USB enclosure,
> only rarely have I inserted a 3.5" drive intended for internal use.
> Usually I put in a 2.5" laptop drive since those draw less power.

> SATA drives only require 5 VDC power. You mentioned IDE. You're really
> trying to put an IDE drive in an external USB enclosure? IDE drives
> take both 5 and 12 VDC input on their power connection. 2.5" drives
> typically use 5V motors, but larger drives typically use 12V motors.
> What's the output voltage on the A/C adapter you are using with a USB
> enclosure providing the USB-to-IDE hardware protocol converter?

I am not using any enclosures like this Vantec I used to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G.
Another one is WLX-891U3:
http://www.wanlongxin1.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30.

I am trying to better portable ones than these that will work with all drives.
--
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them." --Proverbs 1:10. Dang brokeness, cold, life, bodies, etc. Bad hump day.
| |o o| |

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<659f88c1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=229&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#229

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: 11 Jan 2024 16:20:50 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:20 UTC

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> SATA drives only require 5 VDC power.

The labels of 3.5" SATA HDDs often do say that they need 12VDC as
well, and I see no reason to doubt it. Like IDE drives, the 2.5"
ones seem to all be 5VDC-only. I think you can usually get away
without 3.3V for HDDs, I've never seen one that asked for that
and I've used some drives without the 3.3V power wires connected.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<659f8a72@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=230&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#230

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: 11 Jan 2024 16:28:02 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:28 UTC

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
> connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
> but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
> Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives.

The cheap one I bought off Ebay years ago, combined with a separate
mains adapter for power, will talk to an old laptop IDE HDD from
the early 90s, and all the SATA HDDs that I've tried. But I haven't
tried it with any drives made very recently.

Have you tried them on a different OS just in case it's a buggy
driver that's limiting some of the adapters?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<lJ-dnf9vQMZ2BQL4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=231&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#231

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:29:47 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 07:29 UTC

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> > What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
> > connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
> > but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
> > Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives.

> The cheap one I bought off Ebay years ago, combined with a separate
> mains adapter for power, will talk to an old laptop IDE HDD from
> the early 90s, and all the SATA HDDs that I've tried. But I haven't
> tried it with any drives made very recently.

> Have you tried them on a different OS just in case it's a buggy
> driver that's limiting some of the adapters?

Yup.
--
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them." --Proverbs 1:10. Dang brokeness, cold, life, bodies, etc. Bad hump day.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<6h1aawdaugth$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=232&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#232

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:10:57 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:10 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> In alt.comp.periphs.hdd VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
>>> What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for
>>> connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)? I tried various ones,
>>> but some don't work for newer drives and will work for older drives.
>>> Then, some work for newer drivers but not the older drives. Same for
>>> various sized drives. I know the drives still work too if used inside
>>> computers. That's annoying for quick usages and my disabilities. :(
>
>> Did you check both the output voltage and output amperage of the A/C
>> adapters? The adapter has to put out more voltage and amperes than what
>> get consumed by the USB case (with its hardware protocol translation
>> hardware) and the drive inside, so you need to also check the specs on
>> the drive, like voltage, amperes, and even surge amperes when it starts
>> to spin up.
>
>> USB ports can output only 5 VDC, and a limited amount of amperes. You
>> didn't say if you were connecting to USB 1, 2, or 3 ports. However,
>> since you mentioned A/C adapters, presuming all of the USB enclosures
>> you are using for external drives have their own power source via A/C
>> adapter. Some USB drive enclosures come with a Y-adapter that uses 2
>> USB ports on the host (computer or powered hub) in trying to up how many
>> amperes can be drawn from 2 ports instead of 1. Those don't have their
>> own power (A/C adapter).
>
>> Whose USB enclosures are you using?
>
>> When putting drives (always SATA, not old IDE/ATA) into a USB enclosure,
>> only rarely have I inserted a 3.5" drive intended for internal use.
>> Usually I put in a 2.5" laptop drive since those draw less power.
>
>> SATA drives only require 5 VDC power. You mentioned IDE. You're really
>> trying to put an IDE drive in an external USB enclosure? IDE drives
>> take both 5 and 12 VDC input on their power connection. 2.5" drives
>> typically use 5V motors, but larger drives typically use 12V motors.
>> What's the output voltage on the A/C adapter you are using with a USB
>> enclosure providing the USB-to-IDE hardware protocol converter?
>
> I am not using any enclosures like this Vantec I used to use:
> https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G.

Use the A/C adapter that came with that adapter. Hopefully there is a
label or embossed printing on the A/C adapter that tells its output
voltage and output amperes.

It's manual describes attaching a 2.5" SATA drive to the converter.
This has the drive plug into both the data and power connectors at the
same time. The manual says the power to the SATA drive comes from the
USB port. So, which version of USB port are you using? Different
versions have different amperages.

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2020-what-are-the-maximum-power-output-and-data-transfer-rates-for-the-usb-standards
USB 1.0 and 2.0: 0.5A max.
USB 3.0: 0.9A max.

Are you connecting to a USB-3 port? Obviously you cannot use a
power-only (charging) USB port since it would have no data connections.
Is it a USB-A or USB-C port? USB-C can go up to 3A w/data, 5A for
charging.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/bEDsj.png

I would've thought a docking station that holds the drive(s) instead of
laying them on the desk, and usually has better USB and power cord
management, would've been a better solution if you are swapping the
drives a lot. I can have multiple docking stations in a row and neatly
placed on my desk versus these adapter/converters make a mess on the
desk. Doesn't sound like you're running a repair shop where the
converters are handy when needed, but mostly sit in a drawer. More like
you are managing several external drives at a home computer.

> Another one is WLX-891U3:
> http://www.wanlongxin1.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30.

That notes no A/C adapter is needed when using a 2.5" SATA drive. The
2.5" format form has lower power requirements than 3.5", and it's for
SATA, not IDE (PATA).

Is this the converter with which you are having usability problems?
I've use Vantec USB enclosures without problems. I have had problems
using Rosewill SATA stuff; however, that's based on experience, not an
exhaustive QA on a high sample of their products.

Is what you showed an example, or exactly what you got? I've seen some
converters, even from this same brand, that include a ribbon cable.
However, they don't provide pull tabs on the connectors. The result is
users have to pry apart the connectors by grabbing the connectors which
often results in twisting the cable, or worse is users that pull on the
cable instead of the connector. The wires are thin and fragile. They
can break on too many twists. Also, the connectors are a push-in fork
type: the end is split like a 2-prong fork, and the wire pushed down
between the tines. This is a poor and mechanical connection. To
alleviate user abuse to the cable or the connections in the connector,
some IDE cables come with pull tabs to ensure you are pulling on the
connector, not the cable, and not twisting the cable.

https://www.riitop.com/cdn/shop/products/2Pack_bd19bb6e-aa0b-427f-8670-40dfbed82aea_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1608686482
That is designed for minimal cycling (push-ons and removals), not for
repeated use. Put on, leave on, remove only when replacing drive.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZF-00FH-00001
Pull tab on each connector for safer repeated use.

Never heard of the WANLONGXIN brand. Sounds like a reseller: slap their
sticker on someone else's [cheap] product.

> I am trying to better portable ones than these that will work with all
> drives.

Are you connecting more than 1 drive to the USB converter? These are
not listed as multidrive docks.

For the IDE drives, are they jumpered for master, slave, or cable
select? According to Vantec's manual, jumper the IDE drive for master
or slave. Since it's the only drive on the converter, doesn't matter if
master or slave. Cable select may not work which relies on the wiring
of the ribbon connector. For master, the first part of a ribbon cable
is unaltered to the first drive connector, but there is a cutout or
disconnect on the 28th wire to the 2nd drive connector. The cable
handles the selection: first drive should be set to master or CS, and
second drive should be slave or CS. With a CS cable, you can set both
drives to CS. I always used unaltered cables, and preferred deciding
which drive on which connector was master or slave.

You don't have a ribbon cable with the converter, so the drive should
not be set to CS. I don't know if master or CS is the default config
for IDE drives. Been way too long since I last used IDE (PATA) drives
to remember the shipping default.

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<FBmdnYrYx5odOAL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=233&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#233

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:23:28 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:23 UTC

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> >> Did you check both the output voltage and output amperage of the A/C
> >> adapters? The adapter has to put out more voltage and amperes than what
> >> get consumed by the USB case (with its hardware protocol translation
> >> hardware) and the drive inside, so you need to also check the specs on
> >> the drive, like voltage, amperes, and even surge amperes when it starts
> >> to spin up.
> >
> >> USB ports can output only 5 VDC, and a limited amount of amperes. You
> >> didn't say if you were connecting to USB 1, 2, or 3 ports. However,
> >> since you mentioned A/C adapters, presuming all of the USB enclosures
> >> you are using for external drives have their own power source via A/C
> >> adapter. Some USB drive enclosures come with a Y-adapter that uses 2
> >> USB ports on the host (computer or powered hub) in trying to up how many
> >> amperes can be drawn from 2 ports instead of 1. Those don't have their
> >> own power (A/C adapter).
> >
> >> Whose USB enclosures are you using?
> >
> >> When putting drives (always SATA, not old IDE/ATA) into a USB enclosure,
> >> only rarely have I inserted a 3.5" drive intended for internal use.
> >> Usually I put in a 2.5" laptop drive since those draw less power.
> >
> >> SATA drives only require 5 VDC power. You mentioned IDE. You're really
> >> trying to put an IDE drive in an external USB enclosure? IDE drives
> >> take both 5 and 12 VDC input on their power connection. 2.5" drives
> >> typically use 5V motors, but larger drives typically use 12V motors.
> >> What's the output voltage on the A/C adapter you are using with a USB
> >> enclosure providing the USB-to-IDE hardware protocol converter?
> >
> > I am not using any enclosures like this Vantec I used to use:
> > https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G.

> Use the A/C adapter that came with that adapter. Hopefully there is a
> label or embossed printing on the A/C adapter that tells its output
> voltage and output amperes.

> It's manual describes attaching a 2.5" SATA drive to the converter.
> This has the drive plug into both the data and power connectors at the
> same time. The manual says the power to the SATA drive comes from the
> USB port. So, which version of USB port are you using? Different
> versions have different amperages.

USB2 and USB3.

> https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2020-what-are-the-maximum-power-output-and-data-transfer-rates-for-the-usb-standards
> USB 1.0 and 2.0: 0.5A max.
> USB 3.0: 0.9A max.

> Are you connecting to a USB-3 port? Obviously you cannot use a
> power-only (charging) USB port since it would have no data connections.
> Is it a USB-A or USB-C port? USB-C can go up to 3A w/data, 5A for
> charging.

> https://i.stack.imgur.com/bEDsj.png

Mostly USB-A.

> I would've thought a docking station that holds the drive(s) instead of
> laying them on the desk, and usually has better USB and power cord
> management, would've been a better solution if you are swapping the
> drives a lot. I can have multiple docking stations in a row and neatly
> placed on my desk versus these adapter/converters make a mess on the
> desk. Doesn't sound like you're running a repair shop where the
> converters are handy when needed, but mostly sit in a drawer. More like
> you are managing several external drives at a home computer.

Yep, but I only do one drive at a time.

> > Another one is WLX-891U3:
> > http://www.wanlongxin1.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=30.

> That notes no A/C adapter is needed when using a 2.5" SATA drive. The
> 2.5" format form has lower power requirements than 3.5", and it's for
> SATA, not IDE (PATA).

> Is this the converter with which you are having usability problems?
> I've use Vantec USB enclosures without problems. I have had problems
> using Rosewill SATA stuff; however, that's based on experience, not an
> exhaustive QA on a high sample of their products.

> Is what you showed an example, or exactly what you got? I've seen some
> converters, even from this same brand, that include a ribbon cable.

Those were the ones I have. I have another one, but no labels like
models and details. Just boring SATA, PATA/IDE, etc. Weird that one can
handle very old laptop/notebook HDDs like from the 90s.

> However, they don't provide pull tabs on the connectors. The result is
> users have to pry apart the connectors by grabbing the connectors which
> often results in twisting the cable, or worse is users that pull on the
> cable instead of the connector. The wires are thin and fragile. They
> can break on too many twists. Also, the connectors are a push-in fork
> type: the end is split like a 2-prong fork, and the wire pushed down
> between the tines. This is a poor and mechanical connection. To
> alleviate user abuse to the cable or the connections in the connector,
> some IDE cables come with pull tabs to ensure you are pulling on the
> connector, not the cable, and not twisting the cable.

> https://www.riitop.com/cdn/shop/products/2Pack_bd19bb6e-aa0b-427f-8670-40dfbed82aea_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1608686482
> That is designed for minimal cycling (push-ons and removals), not for
> repeated use. Put on, leave on, remove only when replacing drive.

> https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZF-00FH-00001
> Pull tab on each connector for safer repeated use.

> Never heard of the WANLONGXIN brand. Sounds like a reseller: slap their
> sticker on someone else's [cheap] product.

> > I am trying to better portable ones than these that will work with all
> > drives.

> Are you connecting more than 1 drive to the USB converter? These are
> not listed as multidrive docks.

Nope. Just one drive at a time.

> For the IDE drives, are they jumpered for master, slave, or cable
> select? According to Vantec's manual, jumper the IDE drive for master
> or slave. Since it's the only drive on the converter, doesn't matter if
> master or slave. Cable select may not work which relies on the wiring
> of the ribbon connector. For master, the first part of a ribbon cable
> is unaltered to the first drive connector, but there is a cutout or
> disconnect on the 28th wire to the 2nd drive connector. The cable
> handles the selection: first drive should be set to master or CS, and
> second drive should be slave or CS. With a CS cable, you can set both
> drives to CS. I always used unaltered cables, and preferred deciding
> which drive on which connector was master or slave.

> You don't have a ribbon cable with the converter, so the drive should
> not be set to CS. I don't know if master or CS is the default config
> for IDE drives. Been way too long since I last used IDE (PATA) drives
> to remember the shipping default.

The oldest drive was a laptop/notebook's HDD from the 90s.
--
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them." --Proverbs 1:10. Dang brokeness, cold, life, bodies, etc. Bad hump day.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<FBmdnYXYx5pKOAL4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=234&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#234

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:24:55 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:24 UTC

In comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> The oldest drive was a laptop/notebook's HDD from the 90s.

Also, this one has no switches.
--
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them." --Proverbs 1:10. Dang brokeness, cold, life, bodies, etc. Bad hump day.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<axwfd5gob78t$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=235&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#235

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:59:12 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:59 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>
>> SATA drives only require 5 VDC power.
>
> The labels of 3.5" SATA HDDs often do say that they need 12VDC as
> well, and I see no reason to doubt it.

Oops, I was looking at the pinout for the wrong power connector. Thanks
for the correction.

https://prod-care-community-cdn.sprinklr.com/community/687062f5-603c-4f5f-ab9d-31aa7cacb376/communityasset-b1117b50-b073-47ef-9119-c54d7970d4c4-843465895

There are lines for both 5VDC and 12VDC. Not sure what the 3.3VDC line
is for. Seems that is optional since the 5VDC can be used. Some old
SATA drives used 3.3VDC, but I don't remember for what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA
"3.3 V is supplied along with the traditional 5 V and 12 V supplies.
However, very few drives actually use it."

The driver circuitry needs 5VDC, and the motor needs 12VDC. So, yep,
SATA still needs 5VDC and 12VDC.

So, it comes down to the power requirements for the drive itself versus
the outputs from the A/C adapter. Figure the USB-to-SATA converter PCB
also consumes some power.

Re: What's the best external USB(A&C together) adapters to get for connecting various drives (SATA, IDE/PATA, etc.)?

<107deonfig5sp$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=236&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#236

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:42:08 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:42 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> USB2 and USB3.

USB2 max output is 0.5A. Not much. With an A/C adapter, it could
supply more amps, but that would require the power connector on the
converter to supply from the power adapter instead of from the USB port.

The Vantec diagrams show connecting it to a USB3 port (0.9 amps). For
USB2 ports, you might have to use a Y-cable that connects to 2 USB2
ports. Before USB3 became common, I had a USB HDD in an enclosure with
no external power (no A/C adapter) that wouldn't work (rarely would even
spin up) unless I used the Y USB cable.

For the setup where the 2.5" pushes simultaneously onto both the SATA
power and data connectors, there is no way to connect the A/C adapter to
the drive. All that drive's power comes through the SATA power
connector, and that power comes from the USB port. Only when you use
the A/C adapter with the power cable going to the drive is the A/C power
source used.

At the Amazon page you gave, there are setup diagrams. In the config
with 2.5" SATA drive, the A/C adapter is not used. The drive gets its
power through the converter which gets its power from the USB port.

Try using a USB3 port whenever possible.

> The oldest drive was a laptop/notebook's HDD from the 90s.

That would be a spinner (HDD), so check it is not jumpered for CS.