From: working....@vmsgenerations.fr (VMSgeneration working group)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: VMSgenerations and VSI: Exchanges and perspectives before the summer
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 11:11:39 +0200
 by: VMSgeneration workin - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:11 UTC

Hello,

VMSgenerations continues its effort to participate in the renewal of the
VMS ecosystem.

Our latest initiative about VMS skills maintenance ("Rendezvous around
VMS" on April 7, 2022 [https://www.vmsgenerations.fr/rdv-7-avr-2022/])
has resulted in very encouraging testimonials and feedback. This is just
the beginning of a collaborative effort about the use of VMS in France
(and in Australia
http://www.vmsgenerations.fr/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/3_MarkDaniel_WASD_vms_vms_vms_vms.pdf).

We are looking forward to the announcement of the first production
version of VMS on x86 for July. Summer will be the time to test the
operating system on virtual, and soon in native "bare metal".
VMSgenerations plans to publish new testimonials and feedback on this
implementation in the fall.

In addition, we are continuing the dialogue with VSI. The principle is
to maintain a flow of expectations between the installed base of
customers and VSI and to listen to each other. Our goal remains to
provide the best possible support for all VMS recovery and maintenance
efforts. To ensure that everyone (customers, partners, intermediaries,
ISVs, and the main supplier) receives the return on investment that the
long-term choice of VMS implies.

VSI was pleased to provide us with a detailed response to the questions
from users presented at the last "Rendezvous". They have given us
permission to publish the discussion. We invite you to discover VSI's
answers
(https://www.vmsgenerations.fr/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Questions-from-VMSgenerations-Answers-from-VSI.pdf).

The meeting in dialogue about the economic constraints of both sides is
the crux. That is why we firmly maintain certain points in the dialogue.
We understand the demands that VSI has to comply with the modern
business standards. But we want to emphasize that the particularities of
the VMS ecosystem must encourage VSI to find innovative solutions. The
key is to maintain trust and investment appetite by continuing the dialogue.

Many other subjects are addressed in the exchange. The exchange with VSI
on all of these topics is just beginning. We leave it to the readers to
decide how important they are and how to address them. Our next meetings
will develop these topics.

We are confident that the joint successes brought about by the concrete
arrival of delivery on x86 will usher in a new phase of redeployment in
the VMS ecosystem. The ability to use VMS on a standard platform should
generate excitement among technology enthusiasts, especially younger
ones. This renewed confidence will encourage collaborative work between
all players in the ecosystem.

The VMSgenerations working group

Re: VMSgenerations and VSI: Exchanges and perspectives before the summer

<t9nbjv$2aqnu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23344&group=comp.os.vms#23344

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 17:41:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 17:41 UTC

On 2022-07-01, VMSgeneration working group <working.group@vmsgenerations.fr> wrote:
> https://www.vmsgenerations.fr/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Questions-from-VMSgenerations-Answers-from-VSI.pdf

I encourage people to read the above document if you have not already.

The main sticking point appears to be that VSI are not moving from their
subscription-only model for general VMS use.

They talk about how the industry is moving towards subscription-only
but I wonder if that would be more accurate to say "the industry would
_like_ to move to subscription-only".

Also, the players who are moving towards subscription-only seem to be
a lot bigger than VSI, especially if their software would simply stop
working at the end of the subscription period.

I don't understand why, if VSI are so sure they are not going to go bust,
why they simply don't offer legal guarantees about continued access to
licences if they _do_ happen to go bust ?

Many legitimate concerns would be addressed if VSI do that, and VSI
must surely know that.

Simon.