Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:27:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Regarding AMBA protocols
From: 201911...@daiict.ac.in (ANMOL SAXENA)
 by: ANMOL SAXENA - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:27 UTC

Hi!

1. What are the typical use cases for utilizing APB over AHB and vice versa?
2. What determines selection of AXI over APB/AHB? Is it just operating frequency or are there some other parameters? At what frequency does we use APB, then AHB and then AXI?
3. Why do we use bridges and not use AXI all over with some modifications like using AXI-Lite where required?

I have gone through their specs but haven't really found satisfactory answers to the above or, I could have missed them. Would really help if someone answers it here!

Thanks, in advance!

Re: Regarding AMBA protocols

<lBwOJ.72100$t2Bb.39334@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23448&group=comp.arch#23448

From: ThatWoul...@thevillage.com (EricP)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Regarding AMBA protocols
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:47:11 -0500
 by: EricP - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 17:47 UTC

ANMOL SAXENA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 1. What are the typical use cases for utilizing APB over AHB and vice versa?
> 2. What determines selection of AXI over APB/AHB? Is it just operating frequency or are there some other parameters? At what frequency does we use APB, then AHB and then AXI?
> 3. Why do we use bridges and not use AXI all over with some modifications like using AXI-Lite where required?
>
> I have gone through their specs but haven't really found satisfactory answers to the above or, I could have missed them. Would really help if someone answers it here!
>
> Thanks, in advance!

I've never used them myself but a quicky search
for "arm" "amba" on Google Scholar gets lots of hits:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=%22arm%22+%22amba%22&btnG=

such as

Performance Comparison of AMBA Bus-Based System-On-Chip
Communication Protocol, 2011
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Geetam-Tomar/publication/224250383_Performance_Comparison_of_AMBA_Bus-Based_System-On-Chip_Communication_Protocol/links/545bcc4a0cf249070a7a7f66/Performance-Comparison-of-AMBA-Bus-Based-System-On-Chip-Communication-Protocol

includes Table 3 that compares AMBA Protocol Types APB, AHB, AXI3/AXI4.

There are also lots of papers on conversion between the protocols
which can give insights into the technical differences. e.g.

Physical Bridge Design for High Performance to Peripheral Bus:
An Open Source Approach, 2020
https://scholar.archive.org/work/xxnctyp3qjgfnjxcte5peee3ba/access/wayback/https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ielx7/9339469/9339470/09339522.pdf