From: dr4si...@hvi.net (Laurence Smith)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: is a launcher app still advisable, useful?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:00:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Laurence Smith - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:00 UTC

I haven't upgraded my cell phone (Samsung perx J7) in years and just
ordered a Samsung A32 for myself which I believe comes with Android ver
11.

In past android phones I've used the Nova Launcher and am wondering
whether a launcher is still a good thing to use in the most modern
Samsung cell phones.

What do you think?

Larry

Re: is a launcher app still advisable, useful?

<UVBcJ.272005$TtV7.123801@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23545&group=comp.mobile.android#23545

From: pertran8...@pvt.invalid (Perry Tranger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: is a launcher app still advisable, useful?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:46:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Perry Tranger - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:46 UTC

Laurence Smith wrote:

> is a launcher app still advisable, useful?
>
> I haven't upgraded my cell phone (Samsung perx J7) in years and just
> ordered a Samsung A32 for myself which I believe comes with Android ver
> 11.
>
> In past android phones I've used the Nova Launcher and am wondering
> whether a launcher is still a good thing to use in the most modern
> Samsung cell phones.
>
> What do you think?

All Android devices have a launcher, and One UI Home is Samsung's
version for its Galaxy products.

The real question is whether a third-party launcher such as Nova
Launcher is going to do a better job for you than the One UI Home
launcher your new Samsung A32 comes with. Unless Nova Launcher has
features you need which you cannot find in One UI Home, the answer
may be no.

Third-party launchers are becoming less popular than they used to
be, because the stock launchers are now good wnough.

Re: is a launcher app still advisable, useful?

<skvc2r$uq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23567&group=comp.mobile.android#23567

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 14:56:41 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 21:56 UTC

On 10/22/2021 09:46 AM, Perry Tranger wrote:
> Laurence Smith wrote:
>
>> is a launcher app still advisable, useful?
>>
>> I haven't upgraded my cell phone (Samsung perx J7) in years and just
>> ordered a Samsung A32 for myself which I believe comes with Android ver
>> 11.
>>
>> In past android phones I've used the Nova Launcher and am wondering
>> whether a launcher is still a good thing to use in the most modern
>> Samsung cell phones.
>>
>> What do you think?
>

> All Android devices have a launcher, and One UI Home is Samsung's
> version for its Galaxy products.
>
> The real question is whether a third-party launcher such as Nova
> Launcher is going to do a better job for you than the One UI Home
> launcher your new Samsung A32 comes with. Unless Nova Launcher has
> features you need which you cannot find in One UI Home, the answer
> may be no.
>
> Third-party launchers are becoming less popular than they used to
> be, because the stock launchers are now good wnough.

Pixel2 running A11 and Nova. Hubby's Pixel2 has the native launcher. I
want more icons per page than that as well as a few other things that
I've forgotten.

I THINK Nova will allow you to save your native-launcher set of
preferences in case you want to switch back. It's been quite a while
since I did any major tweaks to Nova...

--
Cheers, Bev
"You won't like me when I'm angry because I always back up my rage

Re: is a launcher app still advisable, useful?

<skvdnb$4mk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23568&group=comp.mobile.android#23568

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:24:43 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 22:24 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> asked
>> Third-party launchers are becoming less popular than they used to
>> be, because the stock launchers are now good wnough.
>
> Pixel2 running A11 and Nova. Hubby's Pixel2 has the native launcher. I
> want more icons per page than that as well as a few other things that
> I've forgotten.

I think I have the same phone as the OP but I haven't used the Samsung
launcher (nor _anything_ from Samsung for that matter) so I can't advise as
to how "good" the default Samsung app launcher is.

However, I've been using Nova free for years and years, and I've read many
reviews, and it's almost always considered one of the best if not the best.
<https://i.postimg.cc/nL4zC46C/homescreen02.jpg>

Certainly the OP can't go wrong with Nova free, but the beauty of launchers
is you can have as many as you like so the OP can test them out to see.

A quick search seems to intimate there are a bunch of decent launchers
<https://duckduckgo.com/&q=best+free+android+app+launcher>
Resulting in:
<https://www.androidcentral.com/best-android-launchers>
<https://www.tomsguide.com/round-up/best-android-launchers>
<https://www.vervelogic.com/blog/best-android-launcher-apps/>
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-launcher-apps-222408/>
etc.

Here's just one example of what I do with nova launcher on all phones:
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZYFyBmHF/files02.jpg>

> I THINK Nova will allow you to save your native-launcher set of
> preferences in case you want to switch back. It's been quite a while
> since I did any major tweaks to Nova...

With Nova, The Real Bev is "mostly" correct that you simply "export" your
settings to a file on one phone and then "import" that file onto another.

That brings over the same homescreen you had before with the same setup.
It even brings over placeholder icons for apps you haven't installed yet.

But some of my shortcuts didn't come over for reasons unknown to me.
<https://i.postimg.cc/WpM4FM5t/web01.jpg>
It isn't all that big of a deal so I didn't bother to debug why that failed.

Also, I updated to the _latest_ nova free, and didn't like what it did so
I had to use that "import" feature to get back to the old setup I had.

Here's an example of Nova free on two completely different phones:
<https://i.postimg.cc/nL4zC46C/homescreen02.jpg>