The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.

devel / comp.theory / Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

SubjectAuthor
* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
+* Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|`- Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
+* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
| `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|  +* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|  |`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|  | `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|  |  `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|  |   `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|  `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousPython
|   +* Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|   |`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   | `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  +* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  |`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | +* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  | |`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | | `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  | |  `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | |   `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  | |    `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | |     `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  | |      `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | |       `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousRichard Damon
|   |  | |        `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
|   |  | `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|   |  +- Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|   |  `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
|   `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
`* Halting problem as defined is erroneousBen Bacarisse
 `* Halting problem as defined is erroneousMr Flibble
  +- Halting problem as defined is erroneousolcott
  `- Halting problem as defined is erroneousBen Bacarisse

Pages:12
Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<I0YjJ.50711$Ql5.30935@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23499&group=comp.theory#23499

Subject: Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:39:19 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 23:39 UTC

On 11/13/21 4:12 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 16:08:34 -0500
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/21 3:55 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> No!
>>>
>>> An iterator IS LIKE A pointer.
>>>
>>> Your wrongness remains fractal in nature, dear.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> A pointer is a somewhat specific type of category of things called an
>> iterator.
>
> Not according to the C++ Standard which is what matters if we are
> talking about the definition of terms within the context of the C++
> language.
>

>> This is expressed more concisely in the language as
>>
>> A pointer is a iterator.
>
> If you can point me to where in the C++ Standard that is explicitly
> stated then I will stand down.
>

>> That is the definition of the IS-A relationship.
>
> I am well aware of what an IS-A relationship is, dear.
>
> /Flibble

A Pointer passes the various iterator concept tests, thus, by the only
definition of what an iterator is in the Standard, a pointer IS an iterator.

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<k7idnXIUNfsS-Q38nZ2dnUU7-LnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23500&group=comp.theory#23500

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 19:21:17 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:21 UTC

On 11/13/2021 2:38 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 15:32:57 -0500
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

>> Small point, that statement is wrong. Because Iterators are an
>> abstraction of pointers, pointers are most certainly a thing that is
>> an instance of that abstract category iterators.
>>
>> Problem with use of words. Here 'is a' means members of the category,
>> like a Ford F-150 is a Truck.
>
> Your wrongness appears to fractal in nature, dear. A thing cannot be an
> abstraction of itself, end of. A POINTER IS AN ABSTRACTION OF A POINTER
> MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. Now fuck off.
>
> /Flibble

iterators are abstractions of pointers
iterators are the general idea of which pointers are a concrete instance

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<87ee7jr0jz.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23501&group=comp.theory#23501

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:25:04 +0000
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:25 UTC

Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:39:24 +0000
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>>
>> > Definition of the halting problem (from Wikipedia):
>> >
>> > For any program f that might determine if programs halt, a
>> > "pathological" program g, called with some input, can
>> > pass its own source and its input to f and then
>> > specifically do the opposite of what f predicts g will
>> > do. No f can exist that handles this case.
>> >
>> > The reason no f can exist for the case described is because it
>> > involves an INVALID infinite recursion and NOT because a general
>> > algorithm that can answer the question as to whether a program and
>> > its given input halts or runs for ever cannot exist.
>>
>> There is no recursion in Turing machines. The construction of g is a
>> trivial matter of adding a few states and transitions to f.
>
> False.
>
>> And there are lots of undecidable problems. Do they all have some
>> mysterious category of invalid instances? Does the problem of
>> deciding if a context-free grammar is ambiguous have some set of
>> invalid grammars that render the problem undecidable? (These are
>> rhetorical questions -- the answer is no in all cases.)
>
> You appear to be agreeing with me without actually realizing it which
> suggests you are fucking clueless about what you are actually saying.

Ah. The style, if not the content, makes your position very clear. I
think we understand each other.

--
Ben.

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<20211114051922.000067a3@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23502&group=comp.theory#23502

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<mPVjJ.31933$Bu7.17248@fx26.iad>
<20211113211258.000039c8@reddwarf.jmc>
<I0YjJ.50711$Ql5.30935@fx39.iad>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:19:22 +0000
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:19 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:39:19 -0500
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 11/13/21 4:12 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 16:08:34 -0500
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> >> A pointer is a somewhat specific type of category of things called
> >> an iterator.
> >
> > Not according to the C++ Standard which is what matters if we are
> > talking about the definition of terms within the context of the C++
> > language.
> >

> >> This is expressed more concisely in the language as
> >>
> >> A pointer is a iterator.
> >
> > If you can point me to where in the C++ Standard that is explicitly
> > stated then I will stand down.
> >

> >> That is the definition of the IS-A relationship.
> >
> > I am well aware of what an IS-A relationship is, dear.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> A Pointer passes the various iterator concept tests, thus, by the
> only definition of what an iterator is in the Standard, a pointer IS
> an iterator.

If you think the following syllogism is valid then you are beyond help.

* iterator is an abstraction of pointer
* pointer is an iterator
* therefore pointer is an abstraction of pointer

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<HM6kJ.37670$lz3.17463@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23504&group=comp.theory#23504

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:53:10 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:53 UTC

On 11/14/21 12:19 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:39:19 -0500
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/21 4:12 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> Not according to the C++ Standard which is what matters if we are
>>> talking about the definition of terms within the context of the C++
>>> language.

>>> If you can point me to where in the C++ Standard that is explicitly
>>> stated then I will stand down.

>>> I am well aware of what an IS-A relationship is, dear.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> A Pointer passes the various iterator concept tests, thus, by the
>> only definition of what an iterator is in the Standard, a pointer IS
>> an iterator.
>
> If you think the following syllogism is valid then you are beyond help.
>
> * iterator is an abstraction of pointer
> * pointer is an iterator
> * therefore pointer is an abstraction of pointer
>
> /Flibble

You are mixing definitions of 'is a' here, which is why the syllogism
doesn't work.

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<20211114134726.00002379@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23506&group=comp.theory#23506

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:47:26 +0000
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:47 UTC

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:53:10 -0500
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 11/14/21 12:19 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:39:19 -0500
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> >> A Pointer passes the various iterator concept tests, thus, by the
> >> only definition of what an iterator is in the Standard, a pointer
> >> IS an iterator.
> >
> > If you think the following syllogism is valid then you are beyond
> > help.
> >
> > * iterator is an abstraction of pointer
> > * pointer is an iterator
> > * therefore pointer is an abstraction of pointer
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> You are mixing definitions of 'is a' here, which is why the syllogism
> doesn't work.

No I am not because I am not using the OOP relationship is-a at all in
the syllogism: I am just using plain English just like the C++ Standard
does in the cited passage.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<qKbkJ.63876$Wkjc.44848@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23508&group=comp.theory#23508

Newsgroups: comp.theory
<KkQjJ.42465$7D4.37361@fx37.iad> <20211113145950.00003cb4@reddwarf.jmc>
<re2dnfyx-dwsSRL8nZ2dnUU7-LudnZ2d@giganews.com>
<61901a63$0$6485$426a74cc@news.free.fr>
<VdydncX87euBgQ38nZ2dnUU7-aOdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<_hVjJ.24633$SW5.7528@fx45.iad> <20211113203801.00005e23@reddwarf.jmc>
<bsVjJ.29721$6a3.18609@fx41.iad> <20211113205501.0000282e@reddwarf.jmc>
<mPVjJ.31933$Bu7.17248@fx26.iad> <20211113211258.000039c8@reddwarf.jmc>
<I0YjJ.50711$Ql5.30935@fx39.iad> <20211114051922.000067a3@reddwarf.jmc>
<HM6kJ.37670$lz3.17463@fx34.iad> <20211114134726.00002379@reddwarf.jmc>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:32:05 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:32 UTC

On 11/14/21 8:47 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:53:10 -0500
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/21 12:19 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> If you think the following syllogism is valid then you are beyond
>>> help.
>>>
>>> * iterator is an abstraction of pointer
>>> * pointer is an iterator
>>> * therefore pointer is an abstraction of pointer
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> You are mixing definitions of 'is a' here, which is why the syllogism
>> doesn't work.
>
> No I am not because I am not using the OOP relationship is-a at all in
> the syllogism: I am just using plain English just like the C++ Standard
> does in the cited passage.
>
> /Flibble

Then what is the problem?

First Statement, An Iterator is an ABSTRACTION of a pointer.

An ABSTRACTION is something more general in scope then the thing it is
an astraction of. You could sort of say that a Mammal is an abstraction
of a Cat (not quite right, but the genearl idea).

There are many possible ways to abstract a poiter, and an iterator is
one of them.

Then a pointer is a iterator, still makes sense as a pointer is a more
specific instance of the types of thing called iterators.

Seems to make sense

Just like Mammals are a king of generalization of Cats,
Cats are a kind of Mammal.

The term abstraction ands the needed meaning that makes the circle work.

Pointer -> abstract to an Iterator

Iterator -> one kind of is Pointer.

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<20211114201341.00001f99@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23520&group=comp.theory#23520

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:13:41 +0000
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:13 UTC

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:32:05 -0500
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 11/14/21 8:47 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:53:10 -0500
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> >> You are mixing definitions of 'is a' here, which is why the
> >> syllogism doesn't work.
> >
> > No I am not because I am not using the OOP relationship is-a at all
> > in the syllogism: I am just using plain English just like the C++
> > Standard does in the cited passage.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> Then what is the problem?
>
> First Statement, An Iterator is an ABSTRACTION of a pointer.
>
> An ABSTRACTION is something more general in scope then the thing it
> is an astraction of. You could sort of say that a Mammal is an
> abstraction of a Cat (not quite right, but the genearl idea).
>
> There are many possible ways to abstract a poiter, and an iterator is
> one of them.
>
> Then a pointer is a iterator, still makes sense as a pointer is a
> more specific instance of the types of thing called iterators.
>
> Seems to make sense
>
> Just like Mammals are a king of generalization of Cats,
> Cats are a kind of Mammal.
>
> The term abstraction ands the needed meaning that makes the circle
> work.
>
> Pointer -> abstract to an Iterator
>
> Iterator -> one kind of is Pointer.

In C++ not all types of iterators are generalizations of pointers:
ForwardIterator cannot do operator--() for example.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<SpekJ.29741$Gco3.13484@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23521&group=comp.theory#23521

Newsgroups: comp.theory
<qKbkJ.63876$Wkjc.44848@fx35.iad> <20211114201341.00001f99@reddwarf.jmc>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:34:58 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:34 UTC

On 11/14/21 3:13 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:32:05 -0500
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/21 8:47 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> No I am not because I am not using the OOP relationship is-a at all
>>> in the syllogism: I am just using plain English just like the C++
>>> Standard does in the cited passage.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> Then what is the problem?
>>
>> First Statement, An Iterator is an ABSTRACTION of a pointer.
>>
>> An ABSTRACTION is something more general in scope then the thing it
>> is an astraction of. You could sort of say that a Mammal is an
>> abstraction of a Cat (not quite right, but the genearl idea).
>>
>> There are many possible ways to abstract a poiter, and an iterator is
>> one of them.
>>
>> Then a pointer is a iterator, still makes sense as a pointer is a
>> more specific instance of the types of thing called iterators.
>>
>> Seems to make sense
>>
>> Just like Mammals are a king of generalization of Cats,
>> Cats are a kind of Mammal.
>>
>> The term abstraction ands the needed meaning that makes the circle
>> work.
>>
>> Pointer -> abstract to an Iterator
>>
>> Iterator -> one kind of is Pointer.
>
> In C++ not all types of iterators are generalizations of pointers:
> ForwardIterator cannot do operator--() for example.
>
> /Flibble

But a generalization of something doesn't necessarily do everything the
specific does.

A motor vehicle is a generalization of a formula 1 racing car, but not
all motor vehicles go as fast as the racing car.

Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous

<20211114210820.00007e71@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23523&group=comp.theory#23523

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:08:20 +0000
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:08 UTC

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:34:58 -0500
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 11/14/21 3:13 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:32:05 -0500
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> >> Then what is the problem?
> >>
> >> First Statement, An Iterator is an ABSTRACTION of a pointer.
> >>
> >> An ABSTRACTION is something more general in scope then the thing it
> >> is an astraction of. You could sort of say that a Mammal is an
> >> abstraction of a Cat (not quite right, but the genearl idea).
> >>
> >> There are many possible ways to abstract a poiter, and an iterator
> >> is one of them.
> >>
> >> Then a pointer is a iterator, still makes sense as a pointer is a
> >> more specific instance of the types of thing called iterators.
> >>
> >> Seems to make sense
> >>
> >> Just like Mammals are a king of generalization of Cats,
> >> Cats are a kind of Mammal.
> >>
> >> The term abstraction ands the needed meaning that makes the circle
> >> work.
> >>
> >> Pointer -> abstract to an Iterator
> >>
> >> Iterator -> one kind of is Pointer.
> >
> > In C++ not all types of iterators are generalizations of pointers:
> > ForwardIterator cannot do operator--() for example.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> But a generalization of something doesn't necessarily do everything
> the specific does.
>
> A motor vehicle is a generalization of a formula 1 racing car, but
> not all motor vehicles go as fast as the racing car.

Different types of iterators support a different subset of pointer
operations which is why it is incorrect to say pointer is-a iterator.

/Flibble

devel / comp.theory / Re: Halting problem as defined is erroneous