Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 16:40:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: By the way, regarding serious allegations against film star Woody Allen....
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 00:40 UTC

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/scarlett-johansson-reacted-woody-allen-calling-sexually-overwhelming.html/

I didn't know that Scarlett Johansson likes Woody Allen as an actor. I have heard the allegations and I used to have certain opinions about the allegations, which I won't mention and which I haven't taken the time to seriously re-evaluate recently--pretty much anything non-trivial I would say as a US citizen in the public who likes movies and cares a lot about abuse (I've seen several Woody Allen movies) would either be unfair to the alleged victim or unfair to the alleged perpetrator.

What I would say is: If the allegations are true, that would be a horrible indictment of Woody Allen and a great reason to not be impressed with those who might stand by him, if such individuals became aware of the truth (whether he would be prosecuted or not), without holding him accountable as a well-known and influential member of the public--child abuse is terrible. If he is innocent, then if that is true, it would be very sad that he would have been attacked and reputationally damaged in that way with a campaign of things that would have been said, if this is true, that were fabrications.

I have no way of knowing if he is guilty or innocent beyond reading news stories, and I definitely do not endorse any sort of abuse, against children or anyone else. Even horrible criminals deserve to be unabused.

I'm not out to investigate crimes; when I attack people's reputations with criticisms on the internet, I consult my values and make sure that I know the truth and that I am fair.

Re: By the way, regarding serious allegations against film star Woody Allen....

<65704120-de4c-4ff5-ac17-c99726985e95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23612&group=comp.theory#23612

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 17:02:38 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 01:02 UTC

On Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 7:40:47 PM UTC-5, DV wrote:
> https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/scarlett-johansson-reacted-woody-allen-calling-sexually-overwhelming.html/
>
> I didn't know that Scarlett Johansson likes Woody Allen as an actor. I have heard the allegations and I used to have certain opinions about the allegations, which I won't mention and which I haven't taken the time to seriously re-evaluate recently--pretty much anything non-trivial I would say as a US citizen in the public who likes movies and cares a lot about abuse (I've seen several Woody Allen movies) would either be unfair to the alleged victim or unfair to the alleged perpetrator.
>
> What I would say is: If the allegations are true, that would be a horrible indictment of Woody Allen and a great reason to not be impressed with those who might stand by him, if such individuals became aware of the truth (whether he would be prosecuted or not), without holding him accountable as a well-known and influential member of the public--child abuse is terrible. If he is innocent, then if that is true, it would be very sad that he would have been attacked and reputationally damaged in that way with a campaign of things that would have been said, if this is true, that were fabrications.
>
> I have no way of knowing if he is guilty or innocent beyond reading news stories, and I definitely do not endorse any sort of abuse, against children or anyone else. Even horrible criminals deserve to be unabused.
>
> I'm not out to investigate crimes; when I attack people's reputations with criticisms on the internet, I consult my values and make sure that I know the truth and that I am fair.

Just one comment regarding abuse victims though, in defense of the alleged victim:

I remember having seen footage of her crying and talking to an interview; I haven't re-watched it and I didn't see it recently. Maybe someone would say that she "appeared coached" based on some sort of analysis of her body language and acting.

One psychological fact that I can guarantee you is true, based on my own experiences of having been abused, though not sexually: Sometimes, you start to feel--particularly when faced with lots of people who say that they don't believe you or who refuse to take your allegations seriously--three things in particular:

1 - "I need to test people 'try to enter acceptable communication territory' with people by telling small polite lies or hinting that it might be okay to think that I'm lying--what if I am lying?--because I just want to talk about what happened to me and I don't think anyone will listen."
2 - "It is actually true--no one will ever say that they believe me, and I will never be comforted the way I would have expected to be comforted when the abuse happened. The world doesn't work the way I thought and my abuser(s) is/are quite powerful."
3 - "I don't have 'permission' to talk about my abuse--it is a subject that various individuals refuse to allow to be discussed."

My point is that if an abuse victim "looks like he/she might have acting talent" or "seems to be unwilling to push like a normal person would debate to indicate that his/her statements are true," that might just mean you are looking at someone with some characteristics that actors/actresses might try to emulate, and that the person might still be feeling in shock and hurt and unable to "push to debate" like an aggressive fighter (e.g., me) would to pursue justice or another advancement of interests.

This is not intended as an indictment of Woody Allen, since I don't know the facts well at all. The point is, any abuse victim needs serious support, and needs "listening services" to be provided if the victim wants them. (I no longer want "listening services," I will be OK with my life returned to normal assuming that happens eventually.)

One statement that is unequivocally true: If Woody Allen is serious about caring for the alleged victim, then he should definitely accept her telling her story fully and without facing attacks. In particular, I think that, in the event that the victim has lied, she must surely be facing some sort of tremendous pressure and needs help, in the form of being able to discuss her tale (if it is that) fully. That is, she should be allowed to write and speak about what she claimed happen to her without repercussions--that's my opinion even if what she has claimed was not based on fact.

Maybe that is already how it works. My point is that parents who care for their children let them speak, even when the speaking constitutes lies about the parents themselves.

I haven't lied about anything in my own posts about abuse. My point is, whether the media is listening or not or whether this has already happened or not, support should be available to help the victim to heal and have a happy life, and that should include free expression about what she claims happened to her. Surely Woody Allen is a gifted enough verbal communicator to allow this and perhaps even respond in a way that, assuming he hasn't lied, would help his daughter feel better, not bother her or her loved ones in retaliation for her talking, and defend his reputation properly.

I have no idea if any of this has already happened. This post has general applicability beyond this specific case regarding abuse--victims, real or even lying, must not be silenced.

Finally, regarding my own past: I was mean to my younger sister when she was younger. I assert that it wasn't abuse and definitely nothing sexual or extremely weird--but my behavior towards my sister was very bad and I have apologized to her twice and she is allowed to talk about me and all others who treated her with less respect than she deserved.

Actually, my cruelty to my sister when we were younger is the only serious regret I have ever had about my behavior.

devel / comp.theory / Re: By the way, regarding serious allegations against film star Woody Allen....