Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:07:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: donald trump
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 01:07 UTC

0

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kyle-rittenhouse-not-guilty-verdict-elicits-strong-reactions-213140273.html

“Yet another sign that if democrats remain in power in any office anywhere, nobody is safe from aggressive unjust endless persecution,” he wrote on Twitter. “Throw them all out.”

The obvious quote is, "At least I have something I can very reasonably say about this!"

It is true that court verdicts are to be respected. I don't know enough to know if the acquitted defendant was evil. It is at least good that charges were filed and a trial happened, even if many might believe that the verdict was unfair.

I reiterate that I don't know many facts, and am not comfortable viciously attacking the defendant. What is clearly true is that the deaths were sad, which the defendant himself seems to have acknowledged in court, and Trump's claims about "persecution" seem unfounded and counter-productive...in this story at least, there were no published quotes that were demanding persecution against the defendant. It sounds like a cry to defend people in certain kinds of violent incidents that might arouse support from white supremacists, perhaps as a signal to such extremists that Trump is trying to give them another big bump for their lives.

I don't think that acquitted defendants should be persecuted. In contrast to other accused criminals, any suspicions regarding this particular young man who shot people have been addressed in court, rightly or wrongly. America should definitely ask its courts and lawyers to improve their efficiency and precision in pursuing justice, but should not attack participants in the justice system who played their role the right way--every defendant has a right to legal representation and to present his/her case to defend him/herself when facing a possible court-ordered loss of freedom. This should be said of both black men and white men who are accused of crimes against anyone.

- - -

Just speaking about politics and news issues--this is not really attached to my zero for Donald Trump which I wrote above--I think that employability and reputational issues are fair game for accused criminals. I am angry that some Republican Congress bozo suggested clearly that shooting people at a rally is a qualification to be an intern; that is stupid and evil, of course. At the same time, since this guy was acquitted, he shouldn't be attacked based on having been accused, although reputational damage based on facts, which don't belong only to courtroom procedure, is acceptable. In case you think I'm the boss of the world, handing down "orders about how things should work"...sometimes I am "giving orders" in a sense, but not in this paragraph.