computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

SubjectAuthor
* Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
+- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Grant Taylor
+- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.abrsvc
+* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Dave Froble
|`* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Dave Froble
| +* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Grant Taylor
| |`- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
| `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Bill Gunshannon
|  `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|   +* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Arne Vajhøj
|   |`* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|   | `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Arne Vajhøj
|   |  `- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|   +- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Grant Taylor
|   `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|    +* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.dthi...@gmail.com
|    |`- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|    `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|     `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|      `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|       `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|        `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|         `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|          `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|           `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|            `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
|             `* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
|              `- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.chris
+- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Duane Krahn
+* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Andy Burns
|`- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm
`* Re: Hand scanners and VMS.IanD
 `- Re: Hand scanners and VMS.Jan-Erik Söderholm

Pages:12
Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

<tblmp3$14g95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23832&group=comp.os.vms#23832

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Hand scanners and VMS.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:12:05 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:12 UTC

Den 2022-07-25 kl. 03:38, skrev Arne Vajhøj:
> On 7/22/2022 11:48 AM, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

>>> Let me start by saying that I know nothing about current scanner
>>> technology.
>>>
>>> But I would have thougth you could get a scanner that:
>>> - communicated via WiFi
>>> - when scanned made a web service call with the scanned
>>>    data
>>>
>>> This is really the PC/RaspberryPI solution - I am just
>>> expecting that computer to be builtin to the scanner
>>> itself.
>>
>> No, have not seen that. The "wire-less" models usualy uses
>> BT but only against its own combined "base-station/charger".
>> And *that* one can then have RS232 or in some cases Wifi.
>>
>> But this is still talking about traditional barcode scanners.
>> And the most common (I'd say 90 % of all models offered) are
>> USB, most of the rest are RS232.
>>
>> Then there are other tools like the Zebra TC-line, and we are
>> using them for other purposes where we need much more input
>> from the user (not only the barcode content).
>>
>> Zebra TCxx is a rugged "phone" running Android. It also have
>> a professional camera based barcode scanner, not using the
>> standard camera in the phone. You write a web page that will
>> make up the "application" in the device.
>>
>> https://www.zebra.com/gb/en/products/mobile-computers/handheld/tc5x-series.html
>>
>> But that is a completely different application architecture
>> on the server side and we need to have VMS accounts setup and
>> other extra administration.
>>
>> And yes, in most cases where something is going to be scanned,
>> there is also a PC running some GUI where the data should end
>> up, so USB is just fine.
>
> OK.
>
> I was just thinking that:
>
> smart scanner--->some Python web service running on VMS or Linux or
> Windows--->message queue--->applications (Cobol on VMS, whatever on Linux,
> whatever on Windows)

Today it's is hand-scanner ---> QIOW in the applicaation.

Maybe not as "cool" but simple and 100% reliable.

For the "smart" devices like the Zebra TC-line, it is:

Zebra -> WASD -> Python script (that also does the business logic).

Works well and of course fine when the user needs some dialogs
and to enter more data then what the barcodes contains.

Jan-Erik.

> sounded cool.
>
> But I don't know about scanners and I don't know about
> your environment.
>
> Arne

Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

<tbln3l$14g95$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23833&group=comp.os.vms#23833

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:17:43 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:17 UTC

Den 2022-07-25 kl. 04:12, skrev IanD:
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 8:35:20 AM UTC+10, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> We/I currently struggle with somewhat of an issue.
>>
>> Our VMS system has for 30+ years received inout from traditional
>> hand scanners. From the very begining it was those pen-like
>> barcode scannes where you needed to "draw a line" over the barcode
>> to read it. HP made some popular models at the time. Today it is
>> of course modern "camera based" scanners that read anything from
>> usual 1D barcodes to 2D codes like QR.
>>
>> Now, these have always been connected to terminal servers and
>> our VMS system connect to the IP adress and IP port that matches
>> the RS232 port on the terminal server. Long ago this was LAT and
>> we connected a LTA device pointing to the node and service
>> of he RS232 port, but LAT or TCP is totalt transparent to the
>> applications. From the very start (11/730 time frame) it was
>> actually physical TXAnnn serial interfaces, but our application
>> design has stayed the same using the same QIOW calls. But that
>> was before my time...
>>
>> After switching to network based equipment a long time ago, it
>> has been boxes from DECserver 200, DECserver 90 and different
>> kind of Lantronix equipment.
>>
>> Now, the current hardware, "Lantronix WiBox", a two port terminal
>> server with Wifi and everythig, has gone out of market. I have
>> the replacement box "Lantronix SGX 5150" and test scanner
>> "Honeywell Xenon 1950" on my desk. The scanner is currently
>> connected to the USB-C port of the SGX 5150.
>>
>> One additonal issue is that hand scanners using RS232 are getting
>> harder to get with longer delivery times, USB scanners are not so.
>>
>> They have also moved RS232 from two DB9 connectors to two RJ45 jacks
>> so one usually need an additional adapter cable...
>>
>> Now, I have some issues to set this up, but I have a case open with
>> Lantronix support so let's not get into those details.
>>
>> Lat me just ask, isn't there anyone else having a need to scan
>> products in an assembly line for reporting purposes?
>>
>> We just need a scanner hanging on the wall that the user can
>> grip, scan and hang it back. This needs sub-second response
>> time, no logins and "always" beeing available for use.
>>
>> It seems as the market thinks that, if you have a hand scanner,
>> you also absolutely have an PC to connect it to.
>>
>> Now, I'm sure that it will work by having the RS232 optional
>> cable from Honeywell, but that is not as easy to find as the
>> standard USB cable.
>>
>> So, how are others having reporting needs using hand scanners
>> from production lines solving that need?
>>
>> Regards, Jan-Erik.
>

> I'm no expert on scanners but I have read a number of lengthy discussions around PLC's vs Raspberry Pi's in production environments
>
> The consensus is that PLC's are in a world of reliability that Raspberry Pi's cannot even get remotely close to

Yes, anyone knowing about PLC's would understand that.

> Depending on the frequency and needed reliability of the hand scanner operation, maybe a hand scanner to a PLC might be what the doctor ordered?

We do have that setup, if the workplace needs some additional PLC support

> https://www.rtautomation.com/product/scndr/

Connecting a scanner to a PLC is easy, it is just a standard RS232 port on
the PLC and to use more or less any scanner. That page over-complicate things.

> I have no idea about the environment the hand scanner is operating in, maybe a hardened PC will suffice, but if the environment is harsh, then from what I've read, PLC's are the VMS equivalent to maximizing uptime
>
> When I worked at StarTrack (logistic company) they had a huge setup with scanners on conveyor belts handling 1000's of items per minute but their handheld scanners were I think BlackBay hand scanners?

Found nothing about BlackBay. A link? Maybe BlackBerry?

> They are more for delivery persons than on a fixed corded solution, maybe they have a corded option?

Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

<tbm1is$12uo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23836&group=comp.os.vms#23836

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:16:28 +0100
 by: chris - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:16 UTC

On 07/24/22 13:34, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
> Den 2022-07-24 kl. 14:10, skrev chris:

>>> OK. This is usually about a single scanner at each location within one
>>> scanner cable distance. So single port devices will be fine. Or maybe
>>> dual port (same size, and close to the same price). Just screwed to
>>> the wall.
>>>

>> Black box made similar devices, but sure if they are still in
>> business. I would still go for the Moxa devices here, as they are
>> a known quantity, easy to setup and just fit and forget. Quite
>> often see them s/h on Ebay as well, if you need one for your
>> own evaluation.
>
> I can get one single port wired model for 140-150 USD over-night
> from a Swedish supplier. In line with what some US eBay sellers charge
> for shipping only. So thanks for the idea, but that is not an issue.
>
> The issue right now is to find the RS232 cable option for that
> Honeywell scanner I bought. :-)
>

>>> One thing is that one major electronics supplier in Sweden had
>>> plenty in stock of the 1 and 2 port modells *without* Wifi, but
>>> none of the Wifi modells. Weird. Have to ask them in the week...
>>>

>> For industrial use, I would avoid wifi if possible, as it just
>> introduces more complexity and something else to fail. Wired
>> networking is generally the best for reliability...
>
> *I* agree. But the site has an all-covering Wifi network in the
> assembly halls, and it costs them much more to get the cable-guy
> in place each time a new equipment needs to be installed, instead
> of just connect to the Wifi network. And having switches installed
> with enough ports for everything.
>
> But for evaluation, a wired Moxa works just as well...
>
> Yes, we do lose the network links now and then, but we try to have
> features in place to have automatic TCPIP reconnets in those cases.
>
> Jan-Erik.
>

>> Chris

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

<tbm1q8$12uo$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23838&group=comp.os.vms#23838

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:20:24 +0100
 by: chris - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:20 UTC

On 07/25/22 13:16, chris wrote:
> On 07/24/22 13:34, Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:

>>> Black box made similar devices, but sure if they are still in
>>> business. I would still go for the Moxa devices here, as they are
>>> a known quantity, easy to setup and just fit and forget. Quite
>>> often see them s/h on Ebay as well, if you need one for your
>>> own evaluation.
>>
>> I can get one single port wired model for 140-150 USD over-night
>> from a Swedish supplier. In line with what some US eBay sellers charge
>> for shipping only. So thanks for the idea, but that is not an issue.
>>
>> The issue right now is to find the RS232 cable option for that
>> Honeywell scanner I bought. :-)

>>> For industrial use, I would avoid wifi if possible, as it just
>>> introduces more complexity and something else to fail. Wired
>>> networking is generally the best for reliability...
>>
>> *I* agree. But the site has an all-covering Wifi network in the
>> assembly halls, and it costs them much more to get the cable-guy
>> in place each time a new equipment needs to be installed, instead
>> of just connect to the Wifi network. And having switches installed
>> with enough ports for everything.
>>
>> But for evaluation, a wired Moxa works just as well...
>>
>> Yes, we do lose the network links now and then, but we try to have
>> features in place to have automatic TCPIP reconnets in those cases.
>>
>> Jan-Erik.
>>

>>> Chris
>>

> I just found another single channel unit which was used to drive a
> Datamax serial label printer. Made by a Canadian company, Patton
> Electronics, Model 2120/AM. Network port one side, serial rs232
> 25 pin on the other. Very much still in business, web site etc
> and they may have wifi solutions as well. Might be worth looking
> at...
>
> Chris

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Hand scanners and VMS.

<tbm652$16t16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23841&group=comp.os.vms#23841

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:34:26 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 13:34 UTC

<tbmagd$1h4q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23842&group=comp.os.vms#23842

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:48:45 +0100
References: <tbckb5$29em8$4@dont-email.me> <tbcqqp$2mjgf$1@dont-email.me> <tbd734$2sdha$1@dont-email.me> <jjvj7hFoo0mU1@mid.individual.net> <tbe7ub$347nq$1@dont-email.me> <tbh588$fdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbh9es$3r3l4$1@dont-email.me> <tbi2oo$1amb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbjafi$ighc$1@dont-email.me> <tbjcr3$urj$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbje7v$ighc$2@dont-email.me> <tbm1is$12uo$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbm1q8$12uo$2@gioia.aioe.org> <tbm652$16t16$1@dont-email.me>
 by: chris - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:48 UTC

<tbn72d$16t16$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23849&group=comp.os.vms#23849

From: jan-erik...@telia.com (Jan-Erik Söderholm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 00:56:13 +0200
 by: Jan-Erik Söderholm - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 22:56 UTC

<tbogod$t4u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23859&group=comp.os.vms#23859

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 11:47:41 +0100
References: <tbckb5$29em8$4@dont-email.me> <tbcqqp$2mjgf$1@dont-email.me> <tbd734$2sdha$1@dont-email.me> <jjvj7hFoo0mU1@mid.individual.net> <tbe7ub$347nq$1@dont-email.me> <tbh588$fdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbh9es$3r3l4$1@dont-email.me> <tbi2oo$1amb$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbjafi$ighc$1@dont-email.me> <tbjcr3$urj$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbje7v$ighc$2@dont-email.me> <tbm1is$12uo$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbm1q8$12uo$2@gioia.aioe.org> <tbm652$16t16$1@dont-email.me> <tbmagd$1h4q$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tbn72d$16t16$2@dont-email.me>
 by: chris - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:47 UTC