"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

computers / comp.misc / Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

SubjectAuthor
* current Win10 is final, no new features plannedRetrograde
+- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedA n g l e
+* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedSylvia Else
|`* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedBob Henson
| +* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedKees Nuyt
| |+* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedBob Henson
| ||+* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedDan Purgert
| ||`* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedRetrograde
| || `* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedBob Henson
| ||  `* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedRetrograde
| ||   `- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedBob Henson
| |`- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedscott
| `* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedscott
|  +* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedComputer Nerd Kev
|  |`* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedRich
|  | `* Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedComputer Nerd Kev
|  |  `- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedRich
|  `- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedscott
`- Re: current Win10 is final, no new features plannedScott Dorsey

1
current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<u2j6v8$4hoa$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2325&group=comp.misc#2325

From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: current Win10 is final, no new features planned
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:44:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retrograde - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:44 UTC

From the «needs more adverts» department:
Feed: The Register
Title: No more feature updates for Windows 10 – current version is final
Author: Dan Robinson
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:59:15 -0400
Link: https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2023/04/28/no_more_updates_for_windows_10/

Shift off to Win 11 now, go on... better hope your biz is giving out fresh
hardware

Windows 10 is reaching the end of the road, with the current release – version
22H2 – confirmed as the final one, and support for the platform is scheduled to
end on October 14, 2025.…

--
First rule of Usenet: you do not talk about Usenet

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<f4b4a1f4-27e5-4253-a549-2d907b4af49an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2371&group=comp.misc#2371

Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 12:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned
From: thegreat...@hotmail.com (A n g l e)
 by: A n g l e - Tue, 9 May 2023 19:50 UTC

Come 2 :
http://anglezzzz.000webhostapp.com/Aspace21326nspace21326gspace21326espace21326lspace21326space21326s/a.php

This is really great place ..........................
☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<kc0rh7FqossU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2372&group=comp.misc#2372

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:22:32 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 10 May 2023 06:22 UTC

On 29-Apr-23 11:44 pm, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «needs more adverts» department:
> Feed: The Register
> Title: No more feature updates for Windows 10 – current version is final
> Author: Dan Robinson
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:59:15 -0400
> Link: https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2023/04/28/no_more_updates_for_windows_10/
>
> Shift off to Win 11 now, go on... better hope your biz is giving out fresh
> hardware
>
> Windows 10 is reaching the end of the road, with the current release – version
> 22H2 – confirmed as the final one, and support for the platform is scheduled to
> end on October 14, 2025.…

You mean it will stop changing under my feet?

Sylvia.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<kc0v74Fr71oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2373&group=comp.misc#2373

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 08:25:27 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Wed, 10 May 2023 07:25 UTC

On 10.5.23 7:22 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 29-Apr-23 11:44 pm, Retrograde wrote:
>> From the «needs more adverts» department:
>> Feed: The Register
>> Title: No more feature updates for Windows 10 – current version is final
>> Author: Dan Robinson
>> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:59:15 -0400
>> Link: https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2023/04/28/no_more_updates_for_windows_10/
>>
>> Shift off to Win 11 now, go on... better hope your biz is giving out fresh
>> hardware
>>
>> Windows 10 is reaching the end of the road, with the current release – version
>> 22H2 – confirmed as the final one, and support for the platform is scheduled to
>> end on October 14, 2025.…
>>

> You mean it will stop changing under my feet?
Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<adkm5i5ic392478d2s0o3vs5lvmn2vnoem@dim53.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2374&group=comp.misc#2374

From: k.n...@nospam.demon.nl (Kees Nuyt)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:20:50 +0200
 by: Kees Nuyt - Wed, 10 May 2023 08:20 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:25:27 +0100, Bob Henson
<bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:

> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.

I am one of those people, and I am glad my hardware does not
support Windows 11, so it will not be forced upon me.

Win11 is not just an OS anymore, it is a Microsoft marketing
trap. Win10 already came close.

I don't want a Microsoft account on MY hardware. I want an OS
that just does what an OS should do: launch programs, manage
resources, isolate programs from eachother, etc..

If I wasn't so lazy, I would install Linux on this laptop, like
on all my other computers.
--
Kees Nuyt

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<kc15b6FrvnaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2375&group=comp.misc#2375

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:10:01 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Wed, 10 May 2023 09:10 UTC

On 10.5.23 9:20 am, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:25:27 +0100, Bob Henson
> <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
>> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.
>
> I am one of those people, and I am glad my hardware does not
> support Windows 11, so it will not be forced upon me.
>
> Win11 is not just an OS anymore, it is a Microsoft marketing
> trap. Win10 already came close.

Agreed - Windows 7 was the last good, usable version for an enthusiast.
However, for most users the O/S makes no difference.

> I don't want a Microsoft account on MY hardware. I want an OS
> that just does what an OS should do: launch programs, manage
> resources, isolate programs from eachother, etc..
>
> If I wasn't so lazy, I would install Linux on this laptop, like
> on all my other computers.

I agree with you to a limited extent, but Linux is too limited for me. I
have run several distros on my (very old) laptop and providing you only
want to read email and browse the web they were all fine. if you want to
do anything else, there is a steep learning curve which would defeat all
but an enthusiast, and when you have got to grips with it virtually
nothing in the world of computing is compatible anyway. If you are into
gaming or video editing, forget it. If you are wanting to use it for
business use, forget it - the real world uses Microsoft Office.
Unix/Linux O/Ss can, and usually do, run many of the servers on which
the internet runs - and that is fine so long as there is no input
required from ordinary users and it is left to the experts.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<slrnu5mp1f.t5.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2376&group=comp.misc#2376

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:29:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 10 May 2023 09:29 UTC

On 2023-05-10, Bob Henson wrote:
> On 10.5.23 9:20 am, Kees Nuyt wrote:
>> [...]
>> If I wasn't so lazy, I would install Linux on this laptop, like
>> on all my other computers.
>
> I agree with you to a limited extent, but Linux is too limited for me. I
> have run several distros on my (very old) laptop and providing you only
> want to read email and browse the web they were all fine. if you want to
> do anything else, there is a steep learning curve which would defeat all
> but an enthusiast [...]

To be fair, Windows / Mac also have a steep learning curve; it's
just that we have it shoved down our throats in primary school :) (well,
at least since the 80s/90s anyway). And it's not like the
"non-enthusiast" family members aren't calling me to help with their new
Win1x PC either.

> nothing in the world of computing is compatible anyway. If you are into
> gaming or video editing, forget it. If you are wanting to use it for
> business use, forget it - the real world uses Microsoft Office.

Surprisingly enough, LibreOffice is better at reading differing MSOffice
formats than MSOffice is (although now that it's all the subscription to
o365, maybe this has changed).

Likewise gaming is getting quite good, thanks to Valve. Other than "Oh,
I guess my graphics card really isn't good enough" type things, I
haven't had a game from Steam not run in at least the last 5 years.
Granted, I don't chase after the latest AAA title from EA (etc); so my
own experiences may not align with your expectations. Never was much
into video editing, but every time I've dabbled, 'DaVinci Resolve' took
care of what I needed (even if the free version is "reduced features").

--
|_|O|_|

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<20230510084422.acce13d177e2fa5bda3b6f42@amongus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=comp.misc#2377

From: fun...@amongus.com (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 08:44:22 -0400
 by: Retrograde - Wed, 10 May 2023 12:44 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 10:10:01 +0100
Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 10.5.23 9:20 am, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:25:27 +0100, Bob Henson
> > <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
> >> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.
> >
> > I am one of those people, and I am glad my hardware does not
> > support Windows 11, so it will not be forced upon me.
> >
> > Win11 is not just an OS anymore, it is a Microsoft marketing
> > trap. Win10 already came close.
> >
> Agreed - Windows 7 was the last good, usable version for an enthusiast.
> However, for most users the O/S makes no difference.
>
> > I don't want a Microsoft account on MY hardware. I want an OS
> > that just does what an OS should do: launch programs, manage
> > resources, isolate programs from eachother, etc..
> >
> > If I wasn't so lazy, I would install Linux on this laptop, like
> > on all my other computers.
>
> I agree with you to a limited extent, but Linux is too limited for me. I
> have run several distros on my (very old) laptop and providing you only
> want to read email and browse the web they were all fine. if you want to
> do anything else, there is a steep learning curve which would defeat all
> but an enthusiast, and when you have got to grips with it virtually
> nothing in the world of computing is compatible anyway. If you are into
> gaming or video editing, forget it. If you are wanting to use it for
> business use, forget it - the real world uses Microsoft Office.
> Unix/Linux O/Ss can, and usually do, run many of the servers on which
> the internet runs - and that is fine so long as there is no input
> required from ordinary users and it is left to the experts.

Installing Linux is a 30 minute exercise these days ... as for needing
Windows for work, I've been experimenting with several "desktop as a
service" providers - for a monthly fee you get a cloud-based Win
desktop, MS office, etc. At the end of the month, shut it down. At
home, run the OS you want. Kind of a way to segregate your worklife.
Not perfect, but something to consider.

My family does really well on a Chromebox - everything they want is
web-based anyway, and no one does any serious gaming. I have serious
issues with Google and its adverts model, but I do think ChromeOS is
the future of computing, for better or for worse. MS is desperately
trying to slide its Windows users into the same model. (they'd have
had better luck starting fresh with a web product and letting desktop
Windows wither, or providing both platforms but separately. Their "it's
a desktop but requires web portals, accounts, blah blah blah" is
cumbersome and confusing and not a great experience).

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<MsQ6M.1822244$Tcw8.777560@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2378&group=comp.misc#2378

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.members.linode.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:26:04 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:26 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.

....especially given the arbitrariness of the cutoff. I have Win11 running
at home on a weedy little Rock Pi X (a Raspberry Pi-sized board with an
Intel Atom x5-Z8300), but at work, we just turfed a bunch of much more
powerful 6th- and 7th-gen Core i5s and Core i7s on which Win11 refused to
run (some 7th-gen machines were coaxed into running it with the registry
hacks that are out there).

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<BvQ6M.1822245$Tcw8.230886@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2379&group=comp.misc#2379

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.members.linode.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:29:05 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:29 UTC

Kees Nuyt <k.nuyt@nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
> I don't want a Microsoft account on MY hardware. I want an OS
> that just does what an OS should do: launch programs, manage
> resources, isolate programs from eachother, etc..

FWIW, Win11 Pro doesn't require a Microsoft account. None of my machines
have such an account set up (maybe one does for insider stuff, but the
others don't). A bit of poking around will turn up Win11 Pro license keys
for $20 or so; at that price, there's no sense farting around with Win11
Home.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<kc22v3F24bmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2380&group=comp.misc#2380

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 18:35:35 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:35 UTC

On 10.5.23 1:44 pm, Retrograde wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 10:10:01 +0100
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10.5.23 9:20 am, Kees Nuyt wrote:

>> > I am one of those people, and I am glad my hardware does not
>> > support Windows 11, so it will not be forced upon me.
>> >
>> > Win11 is not just an OS anymore, it is a Microsoft marketing
>> > trap. Win10 already came close.
>> >
>> Agreed - Windows 7 was the last good, usable version for an enthusiast.
>> However, for most users the O/S makes no difference.
>>
>> > I don't want a Microsoft account on MY hardware. I want an OS
>> > that just does what an OS should do: launch programs, manage
>> > resources, isolate programs from eachother, etc..
>> >
>> > If I wasn't so lazy, I would install Linux on this laptop, like
>> > on all my other computers.
>>
>> I agree with you to a limited extent, but Linux is too limited for me. I
>> have run several distros on my (very old) laptop and providing you only
>> want to read email and browse the web they were all fine. if you want to
>> do anything else, there is a steep learning curve which would defeat all
>> but an enthusiast, and when you have got to grips with it virtually
>> nothing in the world of computing is compatible anyway. If you are into
>> gaming or video editing, forget it. If you are wanting to use it for
>> business use, forget it - the real world uses Microsoft Office.
>> Unix/Linux O/Ss can, and usually do, run many of the servers on which
>> the internet runs - and that is fine so long as there is no input
>> required from ordinary users and it is left to the experts.
>
> Installing Linux is a 30 minute exercise these days ... as for needing
> Windows for work, I've been experimenting with several "desktop as a
> service" providers - for a monthly fee you get a cloud-based Win
> desktop, MS office, etc. At the end of the month, shut it down. At
> home, run the OS you want. Kind of a way to segregate your worklife.
> Not perfect, but something to consider.
>
> My family does really well on a Chromebox - everything they want is
> web-based anyway, and no one does any serious gaming. I have serious
> issues with Google and its adverts model, but I do think ChromeOS is
> the future of computing, for better or for worse. MS is desperately
> trying to slide its Windows users into the same model. (they'd have
> had better luck starting fresh with a web product and letting desktop
> Windows wither, or providing both platforms but separately. Their "it's
> a desktop but requires web portals, accounts, blah blah blah" is
> cumbersome and confusing and not a great experience).

If I were getting a laptop and didn't want to use it for any business
purpose or for gaming, I would be tempted to go down the Chromebox
route, so long as I could find one (I'm sure there is one) with a big
enough screen at a low enough price.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<645c2091@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2385&group=comp.misc#2385

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 11 May 2023 08:54:10 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:54 UTC

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> On 2023-05-10, Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> nothing in the world of computing is compatible anyway. If you are into
>> gaming or video editing, forget it. If you are wanting to use it for
>> business use, forget it - the real world uses Microsoft Office.
>
> Surprisingly enough, LibreOffice is better at reading differing MSOffice
> formats than MSOffice is (although now that it's all the subscription to
> o365, maybe this has changed).

The web version of Office 365 should run in Linux anyway.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<645c23a2@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2386&group=comp.misc#2386

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 11 May 2023 09:07:15 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 10 May 2023 23:07 UTC

scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
>> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.
>
> ...especially given the arbitrariness of the cutoff. I have Win11 running
> at home on a weedy little Rock Pi X (a Raspberry Pi-sized board with an
> Intel Atom x5-Z8300), but at work, we just turfed a bunch of much more
> powerful 6th- and 7th-gen Core i5s and Core i7s on which Win11 refused to
> run (some 7th-gen machines were coaxed into running it with the registry
> hacks that are out there).

It really is amazing that M$ are getting away with such blatant
planned obsolescence. The fact that Windows installations get
slower and slower over time was a subtle thing, but the TPM2
requirement is such an obvious anti-consumer move that I'm a
little surprised that they haven't had to back down by this point.

Still, it might make buying fast used PCs to run Linux on a lot
cheaper, if the old computers don't all go straight to the bin on
the assumption that nobody at all would want them.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<m277M.689801$PXw7.455628@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2387&group=comp.misc#2387

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.members.linode.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 14:34:58 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Thu, 11 May 2023 14:34 UTC

scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
>> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.
>
> ...especially given the arbitrariness of the cutoff. I have Win11 running
> at home on a weedy little Rock Pi X (a Raspberry Pi-sized board with an
> Intel Atom x5-Z8300)

....and upon further checking, it turns out that this box is still on Win10,
not Win11. The arbitrariness of the cutoff still stands, though.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<u3j9jd$15kjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2388&group=comp.misc#2388

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 17:45:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Thu, 11 May 2023 17:45 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
>> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>>> Nice thought - no more unwanted changes. However, it's not good news for
>>> those whose equipment cannot run Windows 11.
>>
>> ...especially given the arbitrariness of the cutoff. I have Win11 running
>> at home on a weedy little Rock Pi X (a Raspberry Pi-sized board with an
>> Intel Atom x5-Z8300), but at work, we just turfed a bunch of much more
>> powerful 6th- and 7th-gen Core i5s and Core i7s on which Win11 refused to
>> run (some 7th-gen machines were coaxed into running it with the registry
>> hacks that are out there).
>
> It really is amazing that M$ are getting away with such blatant
> planned obsolescence.

Sadly, the smartphone marketplace has /taught/ many consumers that a
$1k computer should be replaced as obsolete every 2 years, just
because the manufacturer says so.

Now, the fact that replace every two years provides a /guaranteed
sales/ treadmill to the manufacturer never seems to get mentioned.

> The fact that Windows installations get slower and slower over time
> was a subtle thing, but the TPM2 requirement is such an obvious
> anti-consumer move that I'm a little surprised that they haven't had
> to back down by this point.

They'd only have had to back down if most of their target consumers
balked at the requirement. But as many of them do periodic refreshes
of perfectly good hardware anyway (businesses) and as the smartphone
market has taught a whole bunch of newer consumers that quick
replacement is in their best interest, their target consumers aren't
balking.

> Still, it might make buying fast used PCs to run Linux on a lot
> cheaper, if the old computers don't all go straight to the bin on the
> assumption that nobody at all would want them.

Sadly, those who are windows centric will likely bin them believing
they are of no use if they can't run win11. But most businesses that
do these refreshes unload the stock onto a wholesaler/recycler, so
there will still likely be a healthy supply of used ebay PC's to pick
through.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<645d74e2@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2389&group=comp.misc#2389

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 12 May 2023 09:06:11 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 11 May 2023 23:06 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>> scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
>>>
>>> ...especially given the arbitrariness of the cutoff. I have Win11 running
>>> at home on a weedy little Rock Pi X (a Raspberry Pi-sized board with an
>>> Intel Atom x5-Z8300), but at work, we just turfed a bunch of much more
>>> powerful 6th- and 7th-gen Core i5s and Core i7s on which Win11 refused to
>>> run (some 7th-gen machines were coaxed into running it with the registry
>>> hacks that are out there).
>>
>> It really is amazing that M$ are getting away with such blatant
>> planned obsolescence.
>
> Sadly, the smartphone marketplace has /taught/ many consumers that a
> $1k computer should be replaced as obsolete every 2 years, just
> because the manufacturer says so.

Yeah, I guess so. Next maybe they'll say that Win12 won't run on
computers in a case that's an unfashionable colour, and we'll see
whether those people accept that too.

[snip]
>> Still, it might make buying fast used PCs to run Linux on a lot
>> cheaper, if the old computers don't all go straight to the bin on the
>> assumption that nobody at all would want them.
>
> Sadly, those who are windows centric will likely bin them believing
> they are of no use if they can't run win11. But most businesses that
> do these refreshes unload the stock onto a wholesaler/recycler, so
> there will still likely be a healthy supply of used ebay PC's to pick
> through.

But those "recycler" businesses probably won't drop the prices
below their existing thresholds for what's worth selling for them
to recover their costs. Mind you, some might get desperate if
they're about to get a whole lot of systems that their usual market
isn't interested in. Another "recycling" industry about to collapse
maybe?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<20230511213238.97b0f1b9e9c1703c98f4f41a@amongus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2390&group=comp.misc#2390

From: fun...@amongus.com (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 21:32:38 -0400
 by: Retrograde - Fri, 12 May 2023 01:32 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 18:35:35 +0100
Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:

> If I were getting a laptop and didn't want to use it for any business
> purpose or for gaming, I would be tempted to go down the Chromebox
> route, so long as I could find one (I'm sure there is one) with a big
> enough screen at a low enough price.

A chromeBOX is a mini desktop; you can plug it into just about any
monitor you like. I've had mine hooked up to the TV for some things. A
chromeBOOK on the other hand, is a laptop, with the usual caveats. The
chromebooks I've seen typically have lousy keyboards, which matters to
me. I use my chromebox with a fancy Logitech bluetooth keyboard.

Ebay and friends have them for cheap. Have fun.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<kc69r1FllbrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2391&group=comp.misc#2391

From: bob.hen...@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 08:57:21 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 12 May 2023 07:57 UTC

On 12.5.23 2:32 am, Retrograde wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 18:35:35 +0100
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> If I were getting a laptop and didn't want to use it for any business
>> purpose or for gaming, I would be tempted to go down the Chromebox
>> route, so long as I could find one (I'm sure there is one) with a big
>> enough screen at a low enough price.
>
> A chromeBOX is a mini desktop; you can plug it into just about any
> monitor you like. I've had mine hooked up to the TV for some things. A
> chromeBOOK on the other hand, is a laptop, with the usual caveats. The
> chromebooks I've seen typically have lousy keyboards, which matters to
> me. I use my chromebox with a fancy Logitech bluetooth keyboard.
>
> Ebay and friends have them for cheap. Have fun.

Sorry, I wrongly read the original as "Chromebook" - I'd never heard of
a Chromebox. It's the Chromebook that I would consider buying. If I
needed Chrome O/S I'd run it under Windows on my desktop.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<u3ldor$1i90n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2392&group=comp.misc#2392

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:08:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Fri, 12 May 2023 13:08 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>>> It really is amazing that M$ are getting away with such blatant
>>> planned obsolescence.
>>
>> Sadly, the smartphone marketplace has /taught/ many consumers that a
>> $1k computer should be replaced as obsolete every 2 years, just
>> because the manufacturer says so.
>
> Yeah, I guess so. Next maybe they'll say that Win12 won't run on
> computers in a case that's an unfashionable colour, and we'll see
> whether those people accept that too.

Given that MS once trained an entire generation of folks that 12
blue-screens-of-death daily, and a reboot nightly, was perfectly normal
and expected of computers and I'd bet they could train an entire group
that their computers exterior color was incompatible with windows and
many would accept it.

> [snip]
>>> Still, it might make buying fast used PCs to run Linux on a lot
>>> cheaper, if the old computers don't all go straight to the bin on
>>> the assumption that nobody at all would want them.
>>
>> Sadly, those who are windows centric will likely bin them believing
>> they are of no use if they can't run win11. But most businesses
>> that do these refreshes unload the stock onto a wholesaler/recycler,
>> so there will still likely be a healthy supply of used ebay PC's to
>> pick through.
>
> But those "recycler" businesses probably won't drop the prices below
> their existing thresholds for what's worth selling for them to
> recover their costs.

That is the risk. But given that these same recyclers would likely
have to pay outright to send them to the landfill vs getting something
off an ebay sale, that threshold is likely lower than one might
realize. Every ebay sale begins by saving $X cost to otherwise
dispose.

> Mind you, some might get desperate if they're about to get a whole
> lot of systems that their usual market isn't interested in. Another
> "recycling" industry about to collapse maybe?

I'd guess no. I estimate their costs are likely lower than one might
think, when factoring in saving the actual cost of tippage to dispose
of the items outright.

Re: current Win10 is final, no new features planned

<u3sv44$le6$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2393&group=comp.misc#2393

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 15 May 2023 09:47:48 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 15 May 2023 09:47 UTC

>Title: No more feature updates for Windows 10 current version is final

Win10 already has too many features already! What I want is something that
can run Win10 binaries without so many damn features.
--scott