Weekends were made for programming. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Still active NoCeM senders

SubjectAuthor
* Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
+* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
|+* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersRuss Allbery
||`* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
|| +- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersRuss Allbery
|| `- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersRink
|+- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
|`- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
+* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersRetro Guy
|`* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
| `* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersRetro Guy
|  `- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
`* Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE
 `- Re: Still active NoCeM sendersJulien ÉLIE

1
Still active NoCeM senders

<siho8q$8h7$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=231&group=news.software.nntp#231

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Still active NoCeM senders
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:26:13 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:26 UTC

Hi all,

Nowadays, are there other NoCeM senders than Aioe and Bleachbot?

I also saw in 2020 a few notices from Uni-Berlin.DE
http://news.individual.net/key.php

though not listed in the "official" registry in
https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html

I'll add it into the default nocem.ctl configuration file for INN with a
link to the relevant page in Individual.NET.

I'm just asking because it seems that current issuers are all using
modern PGP keys, so the advice of using old GnuPG 1.x seems no longer
relevant in documentation to set up NoCeM.
Better simplify the installation :-)

P.-S.: Maybe Tim (pgpmoose@killfile) might still send NoCeM issues, as
well as Motzarella/Eternal-September, though not recently seen. Anyway,
their PGP keys are modern.

The only question would be for Adri (nl-cancel@a3.xs4all) whose key is
still a PGP-2 key, now unsupported in modern versions of GnuPG.
Does anyone know whether he would still send NoCeM notices?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« – Il est parti comme il est venu…
– Il ne faisait que passer… » (Astérix)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siidrc$486$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=232&group=news.software.nntp#232

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Still active NoCeM senders
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 19:34:31 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:34 UTC

Hi all,

> in the "official" registry in
>   https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html

As the registry is no longer maintained, what would you think of
re-copying elsewhere and updating the useful information it contains?

I have of course a simple suggestion of using the Wiki provided by
Github as part of the INN project. Unless a better space exists?
(There is no central web site for Usenet...)
Or a mere FAQ monthly posted to a few newsgroups (to determine) of the
news.* hierarchy?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Chuck Norris once ran cd .. in / and it worked. »

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<20210923215240.fc3a410e8c37abb544e0f9c0@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=233&group=news.software.nntp#233

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 21:52:40 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 04:52 UTC

On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:26:13 +0200
Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nowadays, are there other NoCeM senders than Aioe and Bleachbot?

I issue NoCeM messages covering the rocksolid.* hierarchy. I only post
them to rocksolid.spam, as I initially set it up to keep my own sites
clean. If others wish to act on the messages, feel free to do so.

https://news.novabbs.com/hierarchy/nocem.txt

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<87pmsw8nyh.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=234&group=news.software.nntp#234

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:17:10 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 19:17 UTC

Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> I have of course a simple suggestion of using the Wiki provided by
> Github as part of the INN project. Unless a better space exists? (There
> is no central web site for Usenet...)

Using GitHub Pages for this sort of thing is very easy and has the
advantage of being easily portable to some other site should something
happen to GitHub, since the underlying source is just a repository of
Markdown files. It also makes it easy to add more maintainers and hand
over maintenance as necessary. Then updates can be easily accepted from
anyone via pull requests.

My suggestion (and this is probably what you were already planning) would
be to create a separate repository under the InterNetNews organization in
GitHub. (This does tie it to the InterNetNews name even though it's
arguably more general, but oh well.) If you created a repository named
wiki, the resulting generated web page via GitHub Pages would be
<https://internetnews.github.io/wiki/>, which sounds reasonable.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siugnt$gap$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=235&group=news.software.nntp#235

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:37:33 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:37 UTC

Hi Good Guy,

>>> in the "official" registry in
>>> https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html
>>
>> As the registry is no longer maintained, what would you think of
>> re-copying elsewhere and updating the useful information it contains?
>
> Just download the entire site and put it on
> <https://firebase.google.com/docs/hosting>. It's a free service and you
> can use a custom domain or custom sub-domain. Let me know if you want
> help on that. I can create a site for you but users here need to make
> suggestions as to what goes into it.

Thanks for the suggestion and your proposal of help. Yet I would prefer
not to depend on another service provider than what we already have.

> Windows-10: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-10>
> Windows-8: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-8>
> Windows-7: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.windows7.general>
> Windows XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
> Windows-XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
> Firefox: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.firefox>
> Thunderbird: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.thunderbird>

alt.comp.os.windows-11 can be added to your signature :-)
It was added last week to freenews.netfront.net.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Some joys are better expressed in silence as a smile holds more
meaning than words. »

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siugo1$gap$2@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=236&group=news.software.nntp#236

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:37:36 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:37 UTC

Hi Russ,

>> I have of course a simple suggestion of using the Wiki provided by
>> Github as part of the INN project. Unless a better space exists? (There
>> is no central web site for Usenet...)
>
> Using GitHub Pages for this sort of thing is very easy and has the
> advantage of being easily portable to some other site should something
> happen to GitHub, since the underlying source is just a repository of
> Markdown files. It also makes it easy to add more maintainers and hand
> over maintenance as necessary. Then updates can be easily accepted from
> anyone via pull requests.
>
> My suggestion (and this is probably what you were already planning) would
> be to create a separate repository under the InterNetNews organization in
> GitHub. (This does tie it to the InterNetNews name even though it's
> arguably more general, but oh well.) If you created a repository named
> wiki, the resulting generated web page via GitHub Pages would be
> <https://internetnews.github.io/wiki/>, which sounds reasonable.

It was not what I had in mind (using the simple Wiki feature inside for
instance a new "usenet" repository, in the Wiki tab like we have Issues,
Pull requests, etc.) but yes thanks for recalling the GitHub Pages
facility. It would indeed be more efficient.

So maybe we could create <https://internetnews.github.io/usenet/>
(instead of "wiki", so that it hints at a wider scope than InterNetNews)
and then as you suggest activate GitHub Pages to publish from it.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. » (Larry
Wall)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siuhbn$h1i$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=237&group=news.software.nntp#237

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:48:07 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 07:48 UTC

Hi Retro Guy,
>> Nowadays, are there other NoCeM senders than Aioe and Bleachbot?
>
> I issue NoCeM messages covering the rocksolid.* hierarchy. I only post
> them to rocksolid.spam, as I initially set it up to keep my own sites
> clean. If others wish to act on the messages, feel free to do so.
>
> https://news.novabbs.com/hierarchy/nocem.txt

Thanks for the pointer.
Do you have an entry like what is present in
https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html
? Especially: Name, Policy Statement, E-mail, Issuer, Type, Criteria,
Scope, FAQ/Charter

Explanation about these fields is here:
https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/reghelp.html

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Avoir un sale caractère n'empêche pas d'être ponctuel : on peut être
râleur et être à l'heure. » (Philippe Geluck)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siv1f2$71k$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=238&group=news.software.nntp#238

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:22:53 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:22 UTC

Hi all,

>> in the "official" registry in
>>    https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html
>
> As the registry is no longer maintained, what would you think of
> re-copying elsewhere and updating the useful information it contains?

Rosalind just answered me that she was going to update the registry!
Good news :-)

I had not expected that because I (and it seems others in the past too)
did not previously receive answers.
I wrote her to ask a last time.

So we can postpone the change of maintainer for the registry.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Perl programming is an *empirical* science. » (Larry Wall)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<siv2f1$8it$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=239&group=news.software.nntp#239

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:39:56 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:39 UTC

Hi all,

> The only question would be for Adri (nl-cancel@a3.xs4all) whose key is
> still a PGP-2 key, now unsupported in modern versions of GnuPG.
> Does anyone know whether he would still send NoCeM notices?

Another good news! I've just received an answer from Adri (from another
e-mail I found, thanks Google!).
He confirms he won't be sending any NoCeM notices any more.

So normally Rosalind will remove his entry from the Registry next month.
And I'll also remove from the perl-nocem documentation the wording that
using an old gpg1 implementation is needed. All the current issuers
have modern keys, so we're good with both GnuPG 1.x and 2.x.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum. » (proverbe issu du grec)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<8735po8y5j.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=244&group=news.software.nntp#244

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:26:00 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:26 UTC

Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> So maybe we could create <https://internetnews.github.io/usenet/>
> (instead of "wiki", so that it hints at a wider scope than InterNetNews)
> and then as you suggest activate GitHub Pages to publish from it.

Works for me!

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<20210928162523.1f15a2d6afb7c38305404152@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=246&group=news.software.nntp#246

From: retro...@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 16:25:23 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 23:25 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 09:48:07 +0200
Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Retro Guy,
> >> Nowadays, are there other NoCeM senders than Aioe and Bleachbot?
> >
> > I issue NoCeM messages covering the rocksolid.* hierarchy. I only post
> > them to rocksolid.spam, as I initially set it up to keep my own sites
> > clean. If others wish to act on the messages, feel free to do so.
> >
> > https://news.novabbs.com/hierarchy/nocem.txt
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
> Do you have an entry like what is present in
> https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html

I'll work on this soon, thanks for the links.
Where is the proper place to send this info once I have compiled it?
Would it be to Rosalind?

Retro Guy

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<sj2h04$e0n$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=247&group=news.software.nntp#247

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 22:06:28 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:06 UTC

Hi Retro,
>> Do you have an entry like what is present in
>> https://rosalind.home.xs4all.nl/nocemreg/nocemreg.html
>
> I'll work on this soon, thanks for the links.
> Where is the proper place to send this info once I have compiled it?
> Would it be to Rosalind?

Yes, her mail is valid, at the top of the page.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum. » (proverbe issu du grec)

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<skgqip$137mu$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=264&group=news.software.nntp#264

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:32:09 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:32 UTC

Hi all,

>> The only question would be for Adri (nl-cancel@a3.xs4all) whose key is
>> still a PGP-2 key, now unsupported in modern versions of GnuPG.
>> Does anyone know whether he would still send NoCeM notices?
>
> Another good news!  I've just received an answer from Adri (from another
> e-mail I found, thanks Google!).
> He confirms he won't be sending any NoCeM notices any more.
>
> So normally Rosalind will remove his entry from the Registry next month.
> And I'll also remove from the perl-nocem documentation the wording that
> using an old gpg1 implementation is needed.  All the current issuers
> have modern keys, so we're good with both GnuPG 1.x and 2.x.

FYI, the nocem.ctl configuration file for INN is up-to-date:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InterNetNews/inn/main/samples/nocem.ctl

And we no longer need gpg1 (GnuPG 1.x) to process NoCeM notices.

Now waiting for the PGP keys of still active hierarchy administrators to
be modernized :-)
We'll then be all good for only using recent versions of GnuPG.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« C'est une forêt vierge où la main de l'homme n'a jamais mis le pied. »

Re: Still active NoCeM senders

<skhue9$l3f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=265&group=news.software.nntp#265

From: rink.hof...@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:44:09 +0200
 by: Rink - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:44 UTC

Op 28-9-2021 om 9:37 schreef Julien ÉLIE:
> Hi Russ,
>
>>> I have of course a simple suggestion of using the Wiki provided by
>>> Github as part of the INN project.  Unless a better space exists? (There
>>> is no central web site for Usenet...)
>>
>> Using GitHub Pages for this sort of thing is very easy and has the
>> advantage of being easily portable to some other site should something
>> happen to GitHub, since the underlying source is just a repository of
>> Markdown files.  It also makes it easy to add more maintainers and hand
>> over maintenance as necessary.  Then updates can be easily accepted from
>> anyone via pull requests.
>>
>> My suggestion (and this is probably what you were already planning) would
>> be to create a separate repository under the InterNetNews organization in
>> GitHub.  (This does tie it to the InterNetNews name even though it's
>> arguably more general, but oh well.)  If you created a repository named
>> wiki, the resulting generated web page via GitHub Pages would be
>> <https://internetnews.github.io/wiki/>, which sounds reasonable.

https://internetnews.github.io/wiki/

404
There isn't a GitHub Pages site here.