Blinding speed can compensate for a lot of deficiencies. -- David Nichols

computers / comp.os.vms / DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

SubjectAuthor
* DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelJohn Dallman
+* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelchris
|`* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelAndy Burns
| `* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelchris
|  +- Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelchris
|  `* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelArne Vajhøj
|   `* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelScott Dorsey
|    `* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelArne Vajhøj
|     `- Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelgah4
`* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelSimon Clubley
 +- Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelBill Gunshannon
 +* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelRichard Maher
 |`* Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelJohnny Billquist
 | `- Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelchris
 `- Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernelDave Froble

1
DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<memo.20220802104147.11788d@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24047&group=comp.os.vms#24047

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 10:41 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:41 UTC

Whatever your opinion of Linux, it is significant as a server OS. The RFC
for its removal says:

> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
> history museum not in Linux kernel.
>
> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.
>
> Leave the UAPI alone to keep userspace programs compiling.

<https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220731190646.97039-1-stephen@networkplumbe
r.org/>

I don't know how well VMS works as an NFS client or server. When I was
using VMS in the late 1990s, it wasn't great, but a lot of time has
passed since then. If anyone wants Linux to carry on supporting DECnet,
there will need to be credible volunteers to maintain it.

John

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcatru$k93$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24048&group=comp.os.vms#24048

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:21:50 +0100
 by: chris - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 10:21 UTC

On 08/02/22 10:41, John Dallman wrote:
> Whatever your opinion of Linux, it is significant as a server OS. The RFC
> for its removal says:
>
>> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
>> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
>> history museum not in Linux kernel.
>>
>> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
>> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.
>>
>> Leave the UAPI alone to keep userspace programs compiling.
>
> <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220731190646.97039-1-stephen@networkplumbe
> r.org/>
>
> I don't know how well VMS works as an NFS client or server. When I was
> using VMS in the late 1990s, it wasn't great, but a lot of time has
> passed since then. If anyone wants Linux to carry on supporting DECnet,
> there will need to be credible volunteers to maintain it.
>
> John

First question must be: Is it built into the kernel or is it, as it
should be, a loadable module ?. If it's a loadable module,
then it should be maintainable as a separate entity, providing all
the interface requirements are met...

Chris

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcb7dn$1ggn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24050&group=comp.os.vms#24050

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:04:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:04 UTC

On 2022-08-02, John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
> Whatever your opinion of Linux, it is significant as a server OS. The RFC
> for its removal says:
>
>> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
>> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
>> history museum not in Linux kernel.

Best description of DECnet Phase IV I have ever seen. :-)

>> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
>> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.

To be honest, I thought it had already been removed from Linux long ago.

>> Leave the UAPI alone to keep userspace programs compiling.

This bit I don't agree with. When things break, it's better to know as
early as possible. That means it should break during compilation, not
when you try to run the program.

><https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220731190646.97039-1-stephen@networkplumbe
> r.org/>
>
> I don't know how well VMS works as an NFS client or server. When I was
> using VMS in the late 1990s, it wasn't great, but a lot of time has
> passed since then. If anyone wants Linux to carry on supporting DECnet,
> there will need to be credible volunteers to maintain it.

You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
such as telnet on many networks any more.

The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.

Simon.

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<jksqkaFfes3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24055&group=comp.os.vms#24055

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 10:28:26 -0400
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 14:28 UTC

On 8/2/22 09:04, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whatever your opinion of Linux, it is significant as a server OS. The RFC
>> for its removal says:
>>
>>> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
>>> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
>>> history museum not in Linux kernel.
>>>

> Best description of DECnet Phase IV I have ever seen. :-)
>
>>> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
>>> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.
>>>

> To be honest, I thought it had already been removed from Linux long ago.
>
>>> Leave the UAPI alone to keep userspace programs compiling.
>
> This bit I don't agree with. When things break, it's better to know as
> early as possible. That means it should break during compilation, not
> when you try to run the program.
>

>> <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220731190646.97039-1-stephen@networkplumbe
>> r.org/>
>>
>> I don't know how well VMS works as an NFS client or server. When I was
>> using VMS in the late 1990s, it wasn't great, but a lot of time has
>> passed since then. If anyone wants Linux to carry on supporting DECnet,
>> there will need to be credible volunteers to maintain it.
>>

> You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
> such as telnet on many networks any more.
>
> The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.

Maybe, but for those of us who still enjoy true computer history
it is essential. I still use it. On the VAX, on the PDP-11 and,
yes, on Linux.

bill

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<jkt74nFhek7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24068&group=comp.os.vms#24068

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:01:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 18:01 UTC

chris wrote:

> Is it built into the kernel or is it, as it should be, a loadable module ?.
From a quick glance, it's the latter.
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/net/decnet/Kconfig>

> If it's a loadable module, then it should be maintainable as a separate
> entity
There's a big difference between maintainable and maintained. Out-of-tree
modules tend to bitrot quickly as the kernel makes no promise not to break
internal APIs

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcc8o7$1d3n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24075&group=comp.os.vms#24075

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 23:33:43 +0100
 by: chris - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 22:33 UTC

On 08/02/22 19:01, Andy Burns wrote:
> chris wrote:
>
>> Is it built into the kernel or is it, as it should be, a loadable
>> module ?.
> From a quick glance, it's the latter.
> <https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/net/decnet/Kconfig>
>
>> If it's a loadable module, then it should be maintainable as a separate
>> entity
> There's a big difference between maintainable and maintained.
> Out-of-tree modules tend to bitrot quickly as the kernel makes no
> promise not to break internal APIs

Very true, but it should still be possible to bring up to date with
enough effort. Apparently, development stopped for Linux in 2010, so
maybe past it. Decnet did run on FreeBSD, PCs, Solaris
and you could still run Pathworks if still available. Older protocols
can still be useful to recover data from old systems, or even to support
critical apps...

Chris

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcc99v$1h6m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24076&group=comp.os.vms#24076

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 23:43:11 +0100
 by: chris - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 22:43 UTC

On 08/02/22 23:33, chris wrote:
> On 08/02/22 19:01, Andy Burns wrote:
>> chris wrote:
>>
>>> Is it built into the kernel or is it, as it should be, a loadable
>>> module ?.
>> From a quick glance, it's the latter.
>> <https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/net/decnet/Kconfig>
>>
>>> If it's a loadable module, then it should be maintainable as a separate
>>> entity
>> There's a big difference between maintainable and maintained.
>> Out-of-tree modules tend to bitrot quickly as the kernel makes no
>> promise not to break internal APIs
>
> Very true, but it should still be possible to bring up to date with
> enough effort. Apparently, development stopped for Linux in 2010, so
> maybe past it. Decnet did run on FreeBSD, PCs, Solaris
> and you could still run Pathworks if still available. Older protocols
> can still be useful to recover data from old systems, or even to support
> critical apps...
>
> Chris

Tru64 on Alpha had decnet support, but don't know if it required a
separate license...

Chris

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tccaoi$14a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24079&group=comp.os.vms#24079

From: maher_rj...@hotmail.com (Richard Maher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 07:08:03 +0800
 by: Richard Maher - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:08 UTC

On 2/08/2022 9:04 pm, Simon Clubley wrote:

> You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
> such as telnet on many networks any more.
>
> The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.
>
> Simon.

Can you not run it over TCP/IP and IPSec?

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<62e9b45a$0$699$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24083&group=comp.os.vms#24083

Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:33:43 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:33 UTC

On 8/2/2022 6:33 PM, chris wrote:
> On 08/02/22 19:01, Andy Burns wrote:
>> chris wrote:
>>> Is it built into the kernel or is it, as it should be, a loadable
>>> module ?.
>>  From a quick glance, it's the latter.
>> <https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/net/decnet/Kconfig>
>>
>>> If it's a loadable module, then it should be maintainable as a separate
>>> entity
>> There's a big difference between maintainable and maintained.
>> Out-of-tree modules tend to bitrot quickly as the kernel makes no
>> promise not to break internal APIs
>
> Very true, but it should still be possible to bring up to date with
> enough effort. Apparently, development stopped for Linux in 2010, so
> maybe past it.

If enough effort is available then everything is possible.

Loadable module source code available that builds on all
recent Linux versions.

Binary modules available on all recent Linux versions on
common architectures.

Getting support for it back in the official kernel.

But there was an if a few lines above. And experience shows
that when it comes to actually doing some work, then it
becomes very difficult to find people.

Arne

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tccef7$orp$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24085&group=comp.os.vms#24085

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 3 Aug 2022 00:11:19 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:11 UTC

=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>But there was an if a few lines above. And experience shows
>that when it comes to actually doing some work, then it
>becomes very difficult to find people.

DECNET is kind of cool on VMS systems, in that it allows file transfer
with transparent transfer of file attributes, something scp does not.

However, once you're talking between a VMS system and a Linux system,
that's no longer a big issue. Unless you have a system that cannot
possibly support tcp/ip, there is little reason to use decnet for that
today.
--scott

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<62e9be5f$0$702$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24086&group=comp.os.vms#24086

Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:16:28 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:16 UTC

On 8/2/2022 8:11 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> But there was an if a few lines above. And experience shows
>> that when it comes to actually doing some work, then it
>> becomes very difficult to find people.
>
> DECNET is kind of cool on VMS systems, in that it allows file transfer
> with transparent transfer of file attributes, something scp does not.
>
> However, once you're talking between a VMS system and a Linux system,
> that's no longer a big issue. Unless you have a system that cannot
> possibly support tcp/ip, there is little reason to use decnet for that
> today.

DECnet is legacy and hobbyist today.

But 100 active hobbyist developers could create a lot.

But they don't exist.

Arne

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<a920b4c5-b92e-4db2-a9c2-aa764d0cf4d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24089&group=comp.os.vms#24089

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 23:15:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gah...@u.washington.edu (gah4)
 by: gah4 - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 06:15 UTC

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 5:16:33 PM UTC-7, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

(snip)

> DECnet is legacy and hobbyist today.
>
> But 100 active hobbyist developers could create a lot.
>
> But they don't exist.
As long as old versions of Linux are still around, those should be fine
for any hobbyists that need old DECnet.

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcdf0k$hds$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24091&group=comp.os.vms#24091

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 11:26:44 +0200
 by: Johnny Billquist - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 09:26 UTC

On 2022-08-03 01:08, Richard Maher wrote:
> On 2/08/2022 9:04 pm, Simon Clubley wrote:
>
>> You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
>> such as telnet on many networks any more.
>>
>> The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> Can you not run it over TCP/IP and IPSec?

Yes you can.

Johnny

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcdjla$1aut$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24092&group=comp.os.vms#24092

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:46:01 +0100
 by: chris - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:46 UTC

On 08/03/22 10:26, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-08-03 01:08, Richard Maher wrote:
>> On 2/08/2022 9:04 pm, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>
>>> You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
>>> such as telnet on many networks any more.
>>>
>>> The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> Can you not run it over TCP/IP and IPSec?
>
> Yes you can.
>
> Johnny

So not a problem in security terms then. There's a long thread on
the classic computer mailing list discussing it here:

cctalk@classiccmp.org,

may have to adjust the link...

Chris

Re: DECnet support likely to be removed from the Linux kernel

<tcdv8k$293c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24099&group=comp.os.vms#24099

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:04:14 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:04 UTC

On 8/2/2022 9:04 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2022-08-02, John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whatever your opinion of Linux, it is significant as a server OS. The RFC
>> for its removal says:
>>
>>> Decnet is an obsolete network protocol that receives more attention
>>> from kernel janitors than users. It belongs in computer protocol
>>> history museum not in Linux kernel.
>>>

> Best description of DECnet Phase IV I have ever seen. :-)
>
>>> It has been Orphaned in kernel since 2010.
>>> And the documentation link on Sourceforge says it is abandoned there.
>>>

> To be honest, I thought it had already been removed from Linux long ago.
>
>>> Leave the UAPI alone to keep userspace programs compiling.
>
> This bit I don't agree with. When things break, it's better to know as
> early as possible. That means it should break during compilation, not
> when you try to run the program.
>

>> <https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220731190646.97039-1-stephen@networkplumbe
>> r.org/>
>>
>> I don't know how well VMS works as an NFS client or server. When I was
>> using VMS in the late 1990s, it wasn't great, but a lot of time has
>> passed since then. If anyone wants Linux to carry on supporting DECnet,
>> there will need to be credible volunteers to maintain it.
>>

> You aren't even allowed (quite rightly) to run unencrypted protocols
> such as telnet on many networks any more.
>
> The time of DECnet Phase IV has well and truly passed.
>
> Simon.

Nobody is forcing Simon and the rest of the do-gooders/despots to use DECnet,
but why are they so intent on denying others the capability of doing so?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com