If this is timesharing, give me my share right now.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Why lock the phone?

SubjectAuthor
* Why lock the phone?micky
+- Re: Why lock the phone?KenW
+* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
> [...]
||| `* Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
|||  `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
|||   +* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
|||   |`* Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
|||   | +- Re: Why lock the phone?Joerg Lorenz
|||   | `* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
|||   |  `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
|||   |   `* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
|||   |    `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
|||   |     `* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
|||   |      `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
|||   |       `* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
|||   |        `- Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
|||   `- Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
||+* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
|||`- Re: Why lock the phone?Chris Green
||+- Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
||`- Re: Why lock the phone?Chris
|+* Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
||+* Re: Why lock the phone?Ken Blake
|||`* Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
||| +- Re: Why lock the phone?Ken Blake
||| +- Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||| `- Re: Why lock the phone?Chris
||`* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
|| +- Re: Why lock the phone?The Real Bev
|| `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  +* Re: Why lock the phone?Rob
||  |`* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  | +- Re: Why lock the phone?Joerg Lorenz
||  | `* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||  |  `- Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  +* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||  |+- Re: Why lock the phone?Ken Blake
||  |`* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  | `* Re: Why lock the phone?Joerg Lorenz
||  |  +* Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||  |  |`* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  |  | +- Re: Why lock the phone?Joerg Lorenz
||  |  | `* Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||  |  |  `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||  |  |   `- Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||  |  `- Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||  `* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
||   `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    +* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
||    |`* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    | `* Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||    |  `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   +* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   |+* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   ||+- Re: Why lock the phone?Chris Green
||    |   ||`* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   || +* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   || |`* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   || | `- Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   || `* Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
||    |   ||  +* Re: Why lock the phone?Chris Green
||    |   ||  |`* Re: Why lock the phone?Joerg Lorenz
||    |   ||  | `- Re: Why lock the phone?VanguardLH
||    |   ||  `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   ||   `* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   ||    `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   ||     `* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   ||      `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   ||       `* Re: Why lock the phone?micky
||    |   ||        `- Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   |`* Re: Why lock the phone?Chris Green
||    |   | `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   |  `* Re: Why lock the phone?Chris Green
||    |   |   `- Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |   `* Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
||    |    `* Re: Why lock the phone?AJL
||    |     `- Re: Why lock the phone?Frank Slootweg
+- Re: Why lock the phone?Eli the Bearded
`- Re: Why lock the phone?John Doe

Pages:1234
Re: Why lock the phone?

<sljvj5$861$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23940&group=comp.mobile.android#23940

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Why lock the phone?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:32:21 -0700
 by: AJL - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 17:32 UTC

On 10/30/2021 12:14 AM, micky wrote:

> Then how about [hiding] the house keys? The questions is, Is there
> any chance anyone would look in the [car] hump?

The hump sounds like a good hiding place. But for me hiding the
emergency house key outside is better. When the locking door
accidentally locked me outside my cars were in the garage, door down...

Re: Why lock the phone?

<s81snghs13vhib2120aqs3h2qc4uimlplk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23953&group=comp.mobile.android#23953

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
References: <1wjd7l6bnoqhe.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <slcku3$12pd$2@gioia.aioe.org> <4lgyqwtfib04.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <slcu63$1l2i$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sle49n.3cc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <slehpm$88c$2@gioia.aioe.org> <smklng17uu1ldm0m2vjqle8m7fn6gl6d0j@4ax.com> <slemkb$l28$1@gioia.aioe.org> <mokmng1b3vvnepisfhnvt199rkbcipmmjj@4ax.com> <3eptt9xz2fvb.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <slh8ar$tk1$2@gioia.aioe.org> <mbspngpjd6tprvcv271bblmcm41rco6ff2@4ax.com> <sljvj2$861$2@gioia.aioe.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 23:13:44 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 03:13 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:32:19 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 10/30/2021 12:30 AM, micky wrote:
>
>> And when I lent my brother my car, a long time ago, the license
>> plate bracket, that wasn't even loose, chose that day to fall off. I
>> got the car back that day but through a complicated set of facts, my
>> car was towed and crushed a few days later.
>
>My goodness micky you have an amazing life. Ever thought of writing a
>book or screenplay? Bet it would sell... :-)

Yes, I had plenty good material for a book, but now I'm forgetting some
of the details from the 70's, and I don't think I can bring myself to
make them up, even though no one would be hurt by my getting little
things wrong.

There is a time and a place for lying, but when it's not one of those
times and places, I can't bring myself to be inaccurate.

I even have a title, Travels with Mario. ala the Steinbeck book.

My Cuban step-uncle called me Mario and since the first part of the book
woudl be in Central America, it seems right.

>> In some states, if you don't have your paperwork, you get a ticket
>> but you can cure it by bringing the license or registration to the
>> police station later. But in Maryland I didn't have one or both and
>> I got a ticket, and that's all. No one arrested me.
>
>Many states have different laws. But as I said I doubt any jurisdiction
>would arrest you for a missing piece of paper assuming the registration
>is valid. And if it was expired you would still likely just get a ticket
>and be on your way. Stolen or fraudulent, different story...

I agree.

Not just lack of paperwork, but...

You remind me that in 1970, I was driving south on Lake Shore Drive in
Chicago with my car's top down and my shoulder length hair blowing in
the breeze, and speeding I'm sure, and I got stopped for speeding, and I
followed him to the police station, and because I had an out-of-state
drivers license and I didn't have $25 cash bond, I had to stay in jail
until someone bailed me out.

I asked if I could put up the top on my car but they said no. (I could
have done it before I went inside.)

I actually had a girlfriend whose work number I knew, and I called her
but she wasn't there and her girlfriend answered and said she would be
there when her work day ended, at 5. I'm in my cell, writing my
memoir, Letter from a Chicago Jail, and I can see the clouds getting
darker and darker and it's almost 5:30.

It turned out the police kept thinking, or pretending in order to have
fun with her, that a nice looking, nicely dressed girl like her was
there to see a cop, not a prisoner. And I think that took another 5
minutes during which there was the heaviest rainstorm I've ever seen.

When I got to the car, there were almost two inches of water on the
floor of the back seat, condensation behind the instruments, the 4 glove
box sides had swollen and warped, and the maps I had on the front seat
were soaked.

But this turned out to be a good thing, because without my doing
anything, everything dried out and rectified itself and after that I
never worried when some rain got in the car.

For decades afterwards I carried $50 in travelers checks in the trunk,
though I'm not sure police would take traveler's checks. (and it was
only in Illinois another year.) 10 years ago I got a speeding ticket
in Virginia and he just wrote it and sent me on my way, even though I
was out of state.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<sll6h8$559$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23956&group=comp.mobile.android#23956

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:36:55 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 04:36 UTC

On 10/30/2021 8:13 PM, micky wrote:
> AJL wrote:

>> My goodness micky you have an amazing life. Ever thought of writing
>> a book or screenplay? Bet it would sell... :-)

> Yes, I had plenty good material for a book, but now I'm forgetting
> some of the details from the 70's, and I don't think I can bring
> myself to make them up, even though no one would be hurt by my
> getting little things wrong.

Word it like the movies: BASED on a true story.

> There is a time and a place for lying, but when it's not one of
> those times and places, I can't bring myself to be inaccurate.

It's not lying, it's "creative reconstruction".

> in 1970, I was driving south on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago with my
> car's top down and my shoulder length hair blowing in the breeze, and
> speeding I'm sure, and I got stopped for speeding, and I followed him
> to the police station, and because I had an out-of-state drivers
> license and I didn't have $25 cash bond, I had to stay in jail until
> someone bailed me out.

I got stopped for speeding in Illinois by the highway patrol in the
early 60s and they sent me on my way with a ticket and I lived out of
state some 2000 miles away. Perhaps yours was a small town PD. There
were some real horror stories about them. (Or maybe because I had SHORT
hair... ;)

> For decades afterwards I carried $50 in travelers checks in the
> trunk, though I'm not sure police would take traveler's checks.

That cop? Maybe not. But I'll bet he would have taken cash (get
my drift?).

> 10 years ago I got a speeding ticket in Virginia and he just wrote it
> and sent me on my way, even though I was out of state.

As I said it depends on the jurisdiction. I can only speak for mine.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slrnsnsnok.256.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23959&group=comp.mobile.android#23959

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 10:17:08 +0100
 by: Rob - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:17 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2021 8:51 AM, Rob wrote:
>
>> The problem with gmail is that it is too eager to mark mail as spam,
>
> Apparently a YMMV thing. I get 2 or 3 spams a week. No big deal.

You misunderstood. I am talking about legitimate mail that you do
not get because Gmail considers it to be spam.

>> keeping customers like you very satisfied, but causing the loss of
>> legitimate mail. It even does not put all this mail in the spam
>> folder, the receiver just never sees it although their SMTP server
>> has replied to the sending server that it has received the mail.
>
> Not sure what version you're using but my experience is completely
> different...

Are you sure you are even aware of it?

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slmfbl$fqi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23964&group=comp.mobile.android#23964

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:13:41 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:13 UTC

On 10/31/2021 2:17 AM, Rob wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>> On 10/30/2021 8:51 AM, Rob wrote:
>>
>>> The problem with gmail is that it is too eager to mark mail as
>>> spam,
>>
>> Apparently a YMMV thing. I get 2 or 3 spams a week. No big deal.
>
> You misunderstood. I am talking about legitimate mail that you do
> not get because Gmail considers it to be spam.

My Gmail (apps or browser) separates ALL my email into either Inbox or
Spam. So I get ALL my email but as noted sometimes it goes into the
wrong folder.

I am a member of my retirement community's email list (6000+ members)
using GroupsIO. Out of the 50 to 100 emails that elist produces every
day Google would send a few to the spam folder. So I simply programmed
Gmail to send no emails from GroupIO to spam. Worked fine. So now I
probably average at most 3 REAL spams a week or so. Not a big deal IMO.
YMMV...

>>> keeping customers like you very satisfied, but causing the loss
>>> of legitimate mail. It even does not put all this mail in the
>>> spam folder, the receiver just never sees it although their SMTP
>>> server has replied to the sending server that it has received the
>>> mail.
>>
>> Not sure what version you're using but my experience is completely
>> different...
>
> Are you sure you are even aware of it?

Good point. All I can say is that in the many years I've been using
Gmail I have not known of anything lost. And judging from the
complaints I sometimes see on the elist about the local ISP's (mine
included) email service, I think I've made a good choice...

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slrnsnthfg.sbv.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23967&group=comp.mobile.android#23967

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:36:00 +0100
 by: Rob - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:36 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>>> Not sure what version you're using but my experience is completely
>>> different...
>>
>> Are you sure you are even aware of it?
>
> Good point. All I can say is that in the many years I've been using
> Gmail I have not known of anything lost.

I am often in the situation that someone with a gmail accounts mails
me, I do reply but they do not receive the reply, and when I send the
same reply later they do receive it.
From then on, there is no problem mailing back and forth to the same
person. It looks like the first mail from me to a gmail user is
often dropped. They do not get it in their spam folder either.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slmj83$etm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23969&group=comp.mobile.android#23969

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 10:20:04 -0700
 by: AJL - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:20 UTC

On 10/31/2021 9:36 AM, Rob wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>> Rob wrote>

>>> Are you sure you are even aware of it [lost email]?

>> Good point. All I can say is that in the many years I've been using
>> Gmail I have not known of anything lost.

> I am often in the situation that someone with a gmail accounts mails
> me, I do reply but they do not receive the reply, and when I send
> the same reply later they do receive it. From then on, there is no
> problem mailing back and forth to the same person. It looks like
> the first mail from me to a gmail user is often dropped. They do not
> get it in their spam folder either.

Odd problem. If it happened once it could be anything. But you say it
happens "often". With Gmail's 1.5 billion users if that kind of problem
happened often there would surely be many complaints. I couldn't find
any. Maybe you can? (Not that there aren't any Gmail complaints, just
not this one.) So my GUESS is that it may be on your end of the circuit
when dealing with Gmail if the recipients didn't receive your email (not
in Inbox or Spam) and it only happens to you.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<l7ftnghpfp60bti8b0lv0j4r5e1knc4f51@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23971&group=comp.mobile.android#23971

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
References: <4lgyqwtfib04.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <slcu63$1l2i$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sle49n.3cc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <slehpm$88c$2@gioia.aioe.org> <smklng17uu1ldm0m2vjqle8m7fn6gl6d0j@4ax.com> <slemkb$l28$1@gioia.aioe.org> <mokmng1b3vvnepisfhnvt199rkbcipmmjj@4ax.com> <3eptt9xz2fvb.dlg@v.nguard.lh> <slh8ar$tk1$2@gioia.aioe.org> <mbspngpjd6tprvcv271bblmcm41rco6ff2@4ax.com> <sljvj2$861$2@gioia.aioe.org> <s81snghs13vhib2120aqs3h2qc4uimlplk@4ax.com> <sll6h8$559$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:43:58 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:43 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:36:55 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 10/30/2021 8:13 PM, micky wrote:
>> AJL wrote:
>
>>> My goodness micky you have an amazing life. Ever thought of writing
>>> a book or screenplay? Bet it would sell... :-)
>
>> Yes, I had plenty good material for a book, but now I'm forgetting
>> some of the details from the 70's, and I don't think I can bring
>> myself to make them up, even though no one would be hurt by my
>> getting little things wrong.
>
>Word it like the movies: BASED on a true story.

You make a good point.

>> There is a time and a place for lying, but when it's not one of
>> those times and places, I can't bring myself to be inaccurate.
>
>It's not lying, it's "creative reconstruction".

I don't think it's lying, but I still can't bring myself to make things
up. And sometimes the details I forget are sort of critical and the
story doesn't make sense without them.

But the biggest thing is, I'll never spend the time to write a book. I
have chores that are far easier than this I never get around to.

I used to get a lot more done before the internet. One can spend an
endless amount of time on Usenet and the web.

>> in 1970, I was driving south on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago with my
>> car's top down and my shoulder length hair blowing in the breeze, and
>> speeding I'm sure, and I got stopped for speeding, and I followed him
>> to the police station, and because I had an out-of-state drivers
>> license and I didn't have $25 cash bond, I had to stay in jail until
>> someone bailed me out.
>
>I got stopped for speeding in Illinois by the highway patrol in the
>early 60s and they sent me on my way with a ticket and I lived out of
>state some 2000 miles away. Perhaps yours was a small town PD. There

No, it was Chicago. He might have disliked me because I looked like a
hippie, although I never was a hippie**. I may also have not had a
shirt on, if it was hot enough. It was about 10AM but it might have
been hot. This is the kind of detail I can't remember that in my eyes,
ruins the story if I get it wrong. And saying "might" more than once or
twice in a book also damages the story from a literary point of view.

**Never smoked pot or use an illegal drug, never very far left, saw both
sides of most of the issues at that time. Except I wasnt' a
practicing*** racist, but that shouldn't be a left position. ***That
is, I didn't do or say racist things. I do, and still do, have plenty
of racist thoughts. I think almost everyone does.

>were some real horror stories about them. (Or maybe because I had SHORT
>hair... ;)

Yes, I think so. About this time, I got a job working in the primary
campaign of a Democrat right across the border in Wisconsin, and I
bought a short-haired wig, but if I had it by then, I wasnt' wearing it.

I did wear it all day long for 2 months at my job that summer, and again
all-day long for four months in Mexico and Central America. It was
cheap and the elastic could have been better, and one time when I got
out of a bus, the little kids were calling Peluca, peluca (wig, wig).

>> For decades afterwards I carried $50 in travelers checks in the
>> trunk, though I'm not sure police would take traveler's checks.
>
>That cop? Maybe not. But I'll bet he would have taken cash (get
>my drift?).

Yes I do get your drift. I know at least one story about a cab driver
who bribed a cop to leave him alone. I drove a cab too for almost a
year and this driver told me back in 1969 that... there's a park I drove
through too and it has a ring road within it, and you can drive counter
clockwsse or clockwsise from the north entrance, and if you do
clockwise, the street comes to an end with nothing but a 6-foot sidewalk
between your car and the cross street. At night with almost no traffic.
So rather than turn around, he drove over the sidewalk, turned right,
and a couple blocks later the cop stopped him for that. He gave him $5
or 10 and this is my point here, then the cop looked at his passenger,
who had not done the slightest thing wrong, and asked, "Is everything
all right?", as if the cop was a public servant.

FWIW I think this is the park. The vertical road on the right of it
stops at the sidewalk. Who would expect that? The one on the left is
an actualy intersection with a traffic light.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chicago,+IL/@41.8609749,-87.697085,694m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x880e2c3cd0f4cbed:0xafe0a6ad09c0c000!8m2!3d41.8781136!4d-87.6297982?hl=en

Yes, here is the sidewalk and the end of the street:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8610159,-87.6969774,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqYbLEY5NM3V_UPTKOHnjMg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I didn't remember the golf course, but though google maps doesn't say
so, I see it'a miniature golf course. 18 holes, $5/game

>> 10 years ago I got a speeding ticket in Virginia and he just wrote it
>> and sent me on my way, even though I was out of state.
>
>As I said it depends on the jurisdiction. I can only speak for mine.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slno1t$lmv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23989&group=comp.mobile.android#23989

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:48:14 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 03:48 UTC

On 10/31/2021 1:43 PM, micky wrote:

> it was Chicago [micky stopped for speeding].

Ah. My home town. Was born there.

> there's a park...and it has a ring road within it...and if you do
> clockwise, the street comes to an end with nothing but a 6-foot sidewalk
> between your car and the cross street. At night with almost no traffic.
> So rather than turn around, he [friend] drove over the sidewalk, turned right,
> and a couple blocks later the cop stopped him for that.

Sometimes cops use CS traffic violations as an excuse to stop someone to
check him out.

> He gave him $5

But in this case it was apparently a bribe stop. In the department I'm
familiar with if an officer was found to have accepted a bribe he would
be fired. And even if he accepted an offered discount on his food he
would be disciplined. The tight management of a department goes a long
way to discouraging corruption...

> here is the sidewalk and the end of the street:
> https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8610159,-87.6969774,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqYbLEY5NM3V_UPTKOHnjMg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Yup. Looks like a poor way to build a road, even in a park...

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slrnsnves8.i8k.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23994&group=comp.mobile.android#23994

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 11:03:52 +0100
 by: Rob - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 10:03 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2021 9:36 AM, Rob wrote:
>> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>>> Rob wrote>

>>> Good point. All I can say is that in the many years I've been using
>>> Gmail I have not known of anything lost.
>
>> I am often in the situation that someone with a gmail accounts mails
>> me, I do reply but they do not receive the reply, and when I send
>> the same reply later they do receive it. From then on, there is no
>> problem mailing back and forth to the same person. It looks like
>> the first mail from me to a gmail user is often dropped. They do not
>> get it in their spam folder either.
>
> Odd problem. If it happened once it could be anything. But you say it
> happens "often". With Gmail's 1.5 billion users if that kind of problem
> happened often there would surely be many complaints.

Did you ever try to complain about something to gmail? I think not
many users will manage to get through that procedure and actually file
a complaint about such a technical issue!
Even worse, for me as someone who is not a gmail customer but experiences
issues in the gmail system, it is completely IMPOSSIBLE to file any
complaint or even get in contact with a human at gmail.

That probably explains why there are no complaints about this issue.

> I couldn't find
> any. Maybe you can? (Not that there aren't any Gmail complaints, just
> not this one.) So my GUESS is that it may be on your end of the circuit
> when dealing with Gmail if the recipients didn't receive your email (not
> in Inbox or Spam) and it only happens to you.

I know how the mail system works and I have access to the server logs
at my end. I see the "250" reply to me sending the message, meaning
that gmail has received the message and has taken over the responsibility
to deliver it.
After that, it never makes it to the destination mailbox, nor spam folder.

I presume it is part of some first-level antispam measure that is
intended to cut away the majority of the spam delivered by botnets.
The first mail for a specific sender-receiver combination is silently
discarded. Humans will blame themselves and try again, spammers
won't and their spam is not delivered.

What I think is broken about it, is that a Reply to a message that
was first sent by a gmail user (so the reverse sender-receiver
combination is already known to gmail) still is processed by this
system.

Re: Why lock the phone?

<slp4oi$kam$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24054&group=comp.mobile.android#24054

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:31:15 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 16:31 UTC

On 11/1/2021 3:03 AM, Rob wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>> On 10/31/2021 9:36 AM, Rob wrote:

>>> I am often in the situation that someone with a gmail accounts
>>> mails me, I do reply but they do not receive the reply, and when
>>> I send the same reply later they do receive it. From then on,
>>> there is no problem mailing back and forth to the same person.
>>> It looks like the first mail from me to a gmail user is often
>>> dropped. They do not get it in their spam folder either.
>>
>> Odd problem. If it happened once it could be anything. But you say
>> it happens "often". With Gmail's 1.5 billion users if that kind of
>> problem happened often there would surely be many complaints.
>
> Did you ever try to complain about something to gmail? I think not
> many users will manage to get through that procedure and actually
> file a complaint about such a technical issue!

I didn't ask Gmail. I asked Gmail users. Virtually any app's problems
are often discussed thoroughly online on various user forums and
elsewhere. Googling (ironic, huh) gets me to them. I have solved many a
problem making an app work for me by reading another user's solutions.
Yours is a very unique problem but yet I couldn't find anything like it.

> That probably explains why there are no complaints about this issue.

Hopefully I've cleared up your misunderstanding. Not complaints to Gmail
the company, but complaints about your particular unusual Gmail problem
that happens to you "often" that anyone and everyone online with the
same problem could respond to. Again nothing found by me. Why don't you
give it a try. If you find something maybe it'll shed some light. If so,
report back...

> I presume it is...

> What I think is broken about it, is...

I don't have a clue either... ;)