"You must have an IQ of at least half a million." -- Popeye

computers / comp.misc / Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

SubjectAuthor
* France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceHere is the News
+* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceTim+
> [...]
|  |  ||    |  +- Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceJolly Roger
|  |  ||    |  `* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceJoerg Lorenz
|  |  ||    |   `* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceCarlos E.R.
|  |  ||    +* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceMichael
|  |  ||    +- Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceMichael
|  |  ||    `- Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceJoerg Lorenz
|  |  |`* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceBob Campbell
|  |  `- Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceJolly Roger
|  `* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceChris
+* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceNewyana2
+* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceTim+
+- Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceJulio Di Egidio
+* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceFrank
`* Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned ObsolescenceOregonian Haruspex

Pages:123456789
France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u41h19$28h27$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2396&group=comp.misc#2396

From: new...@here.anon (Here is the News)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 03:17:00 +0000
 by: Here is the News - Wed, 17 May 2023 03:17 UTC

https://dailystormer.in/france-wants-to-sue-apple-for-planned-obsolescence/

France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

Andrew Anglin
May 16, 2023

If France has laws against planned obsolescence, they should just ban all
consumer electronics and go back to the 1980s.

Apple is possibly the worst offender, but every company is doing this. There
is no real reason an iPhone from 2015 shouldn't be fine today, and yet no
one, not even the most thrifty, are walking around with 2015 iPhones.

RT:

https://www.rt.com/news/576343-apple-planned-obsolescence-france/

> The Paris Prosecutor's Office has opened an investigation into Apple's
> alleged efforts to render its own devices obsolete in order to force users
> to upgrade. The complaint follows successful judgments against the
> California tech giant in France and Italy.
>
> "Following a complaint, an investigation was opened in December 2022 into
> deceptive marketing practices and programmed obsolescence," the office
> said in a statement on Monday, adding that the complaint was filed by an
> activist group called 'Halte a L'Obsolescence Programmee' (HOP).
>
> The group's complaint centers around the practice of 'serialization',
> whereby spare parts like microchips or speakers are matched with serial
> numbers to a specific generation of iPhone. This prevents third-party
> repairers from using generic parts, and as models are phased out by Apple,
> so too are the associated spares, forcing customers to shell out for a
> newer model.
>
> Apple, HOP claims, can detect when a phone has been repaired with
> unauthorized parts and can remotely "degrade" its performance.

Apple could have been the single best American company.

Steve Jobs was hardcore. He's demonized now, like, "he was evil for having a
strong work ethic and expecting his extraordinarily well-paid employees to
perform well."

The reality is, he was a lot more of a serious person than any of these
other assholes in Silicon Valley.

He did some things people might consider shady, with tricks to get people
into the Apple "ecosystem." But he wouldn't have run these stupid scams that
Rim Cook is running. He would have actually innovated, and expanded the
company, rather than leaving it as a cellphone company that maybe also sells
a couple of laptops.

Rim Cock designs these phones to break when they drop, then refuses to allow
you to repair them. It's a criminal conspiracy. There is no reason you would
design a phone to break easily, and there is no reason you would refuse to
allow it to be repaired - unless you were a homosexual criminal.

Apple is not even doing AI. Siri is still at the level she was at in 2016.
The bitch is always confused. ChatGPT isn't confused, is he?

It's absurd.

The French are a group of people who would probably prefer to go back to the
1980s. If their government was even remotely serious, they would just ban
all consumer electronics.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u41m7o$29db5$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2397&group=comp.misc#2397

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 05:47:16 +0100
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 17 May 2023 04:47 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 03:17:00 +0000, Here is the News wrote:

> https://dailystormer.in/france-wants-to-sue-apple-for-planned-obsolescence/
> France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

If you want to sue, you sue.

> Apple is possibly the worst offender, but every company is doing this.

What is "this" they speak of?

> There
> is no real reason an iPhone from 2015 shouldn't be fine today, and yet no
> one, not even the most thrifty, are walking around with 2015 iPhones.

My desktop PC is from 2007 and it works fine as it has plenty of RAM,
a reasonably fast CPU, an Nvidia graphics cards, and decent monitors.

The operating system can't be upgraded to Windows 11 but I wouldn't want to
do that anyway as Windows 10 works just fine for millions like me.

> https://www.rt.com/news/576343-apple-planned-obsolescence-france/
>
>> The Paris Prosecutor's Office has opened an investigation into Apple's
>> alleged efforts to render its own devices obsolete in order to force users
>> to upgrade. The complaint follows successful judgments against the
>> California tech giant in France and Italy.

Let's hope they talk about a specific "this" in the description below,
as a generic "this" isn't something that anyone can say anything about.

>> "Following a complaint, an investigation was opened in December 2022 into
>> deceptive marketing practices and programmed obsolescence," the office
>> said in a statement on Monday, adding that the complaint was filed by an
>> activist group called 'Halte a L'Obsolescence Programmee' (HOP).
>>
>> The group's complaint centers around the practice of 'serialization',
>> whereby spare parts like microchips or speakers are matched with serial
>> numbers to a specific generation of iPhone.

OK. That a specific "this" that they say that only Apple is doing.

No matter how Apple makes excuses for serialization, they did it to prevent
the users from easily replacing parts that broke even though Apple will
vehemently claim that they stuck that stick up your ass for your own good.

> This prevents third-party
>> repairers from using generic parts, and as models are phased out by Apple,
>> so too are the associated spares, forcing customers to shell out for a
>> newer model.

That's the specific "this" where I guess Apple's job is to show that other
companies who make smartphones stuck similar sticks up the customers' ass.

>> Apple, HOP claims, can detect when a phone has been repaired with
>> unauthorized parts and can remotely "degrade" its performance.
>
> Apple could have been the single best American company.

From what the news has reported in the past, Apple many times lied about
the authorized parts, as the warning shows up even with authorized parts.

When Apple lies like that, they need to show that other companies stick
that stick up your ass & lie about it & then Apple will be off the hook.

> Steve Jobs was hardcore. He's demonized now, like, "he was evil for having a
> strong work ethic and expecting his extraordinarily well-paid employees to
> perform well."
>
> The reality is, he was a lot more of a serious person than any of these
> other assholes in Silicon Valley.

What does that have to do with Apple sticking that serialization stick up
the customers' ass and telling the customer Apple did it for their good?

> He did some things people might consider shady, with tricks to get people
> into the Apple "ecosystem." But he wouldn't have run these stupid scams that
> Rim Cook is running. He would have actually innovated, and expanded the
> company, rather than leaving it as a cellphone company that maybe also sells
> a couple of laptops.
>
> Rim Cock designs these phones to break when they drop, then refuses to allow
> you to repair them. It's a criminal conspiracy. There is no reason you would
> design a phone to break easily, and there is no reason you would refuse to
> allow it to be repaired - unless you were a homosexual criminal.
>
> Apple is not even doing AI. Siri is still at the level she was at in 2016.
> The bitch is always confused. ChatGPT isn't confused, is he?
>
> It's absurd.

No. It's not absurd. Apple pulled this serialization trick to make it
harder for the customer to make a repair EVEN USING AUTHORIZED PARTS.

If Apple wants to win this lawsuit, if it ever is filed that is, then Apple
is going to have to show that other similar smartphone makers with a
monopoly have stuck the serialization stick up their customers' asses.

> The French are a group of people who would probably prefer to go back to the
> 1980s. If their government was even remotely serious, they would just ban
> all consumer electronics.

The Brazil government is also on the side of the consumer, which is to say
it's also suing Apple for sticking other sticks up its customers' asses.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2398&group=comp.misc#2398

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 12:46:29 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 17 May 2023 10:46 UTC

On 2023-05-17 06:47, Tim+ wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2023 03:17:00 +0000, Here is the News wrote:

>> The French are a group of people who would probably prefer to go back to the
>> 1980s. If their government was even remotely serious, they would just ban
>> all consumer electronics.
>
> The Brazil government is also on the side of the consumer, which is to say
> it's also suing Apple for sticking other sticks up its customers' asses.

And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
version of it. Either comply, or they will be banned from selling here.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520230653262387%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2399&group=comp.misc#2399

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 06:53:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 10:53 UTC

In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
> that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
> version of it.

that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<xn0o1y1oh8mhmd1000@reader443.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2400&group=comp.misc#2400

Followup: comp.misc
From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 11:48:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Wed, 17 May 2023 11:48 UTC

nospam wrote:

>In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
><robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C,
>>meaning that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not
>>Apple's own version of it.
>
>that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>
>apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.

I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.
Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved" cables?

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<0orejjxroe.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2401&group=comp.misc#2401

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 13:52:00 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 17 May 2023 11:52 UTC

<https://www.applesfera.com/iphone/violaria-directamente-ley-llegan-advertencias-comision-europea-planes-iphone-15-usb-c>

<https://www.macrumors.com/2023/05/04/eu-warns-apple-about-limiting-usb-c-iphone-cables/>

<https://www.zeit.de/digital/mobil/2023-05/eu-kommission-apple-ladekabel-einschraenkungen-warnung?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.macrumors.com%2F>

> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.

Yes, they do. It is called MFi certification. See links provided for
more details.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u42gl8$1r7ol$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2402&group=comp.misc#2402

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 08:17:57 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 17 May 2023 12:17 UTC

"Here is the News" <news@here.anon> wrote

| Steve Jobs was hardcore. He's demonized now, like, "he was evil for having
a | strong work ethic and expecting his extraordinarily well-paid employees to
| perform well."
| | The reality is, he was a lot more of a serious person than any of these
| other assholes in Silicon Valley.
| Steve Jobs was a vain, power hungry fanatic who thought
he was some kind of Zen master bringing higher vibes to the
world. Meanwhile he exploited his customers. It was under Jobs
that the programming was controlled and licensed, while anyone
could write Windows software with standard tools. Jobs removed
the floppy far too early, forcing customers to buy $100 USB
floppy drives. He did the same with CDs. If I remember correctly,
it was under Jobs that Apple fashioned a custom screw head so
that people wouldn't be able to open Apple products without
first manufacturing a screwdriver. And Jobs famously remarked
that he didn't want windows that open in his spaceship office
building because, "When you let people open things they just
break them."

To rewrite history, casting Jobs as some kind of betrayed angel,
is to miss many of the lessons of tech corruption that we should
be learning from the past decades. If you look at Gates, Bezos,
Schmidtt, Zuck, Jobs... there's plenty of corruption to go around.
There's plenty of exploitation of people and exploitation of markets.
Jobs was not any cleaner than the rest of them. Perhaps one of
the most important lessons to take from all this is that we shouldn't
let adolescent, unsocialized geeks run the world just because they
tell us they're geniuses. (Meanwhile, Elizabeth Holmes has just
got an extension of her bail. She won't have to go to jail so long
as her lawyers keep filing petitions. And she's shifted her marketing
from portraying herself as a transcendent genius to portraying herself
as a cute little girl with 2 children to take care of -- trying to court
public opinion. I wonder where all the money comes from for her
slick defense.)

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<autejjx4bg.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2403&group=comp.misc#2403

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.mobile.android,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 14:29:30 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 17 May 2023 12:29 UTC

On 2023-05-17 13:48, badgolferman wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C,
>>> meaning that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not
>>> Apple's own version of it.
>>
>> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>>
>> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>

> I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
> functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.
> Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved" cables?

Yes.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<1qavp2x.ruzflx1ciqyptN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2404&group=comp.misc#2404

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 14:21:03 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:21 UTC

Newyana2 <Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "Here is the News" <news@here.anon> wrote
>
> | Steve Jobs was hardcore. He's demonized now, like, "he was evil for
> | having a strong work ethic and expecting his extraordinarily well-paid
> | employees to perform well."
> |
> | The reality is, he was a lot more of a serious person than any of these
> | other assholes in Silicon Valley.
> |

> Steve Jobs was a vain, power hungry fanatic [...]

The sainted iSteve had a very high opinion of you too.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon mourns the death of privacy.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520230947590736%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2405&group=comp.misc#2405

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:47:59 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:47 UTC

In article <xn0o1y1oh8mhmd1000@reader443.eternal-september.org>,
badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C,
> >>meaning that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not
> >>Apple's own version of it.
> >
> >that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
> >
> >apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>

> I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
> functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.
> Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved" cables?

i've read numerous articles that the earth is flat. that doesn't make
it true.

apple was one of the first companies to start using usb-c, beginning
eight years ago with the retina macbook, adding other products over
time, all fully compliant with the usb spec (unlike other companies,
more on that below).

claims that apple will suddenly use their own version of usb-c which is
incompatible with the rest of the world are not supported by nearly a
decade of multiple apple products with usb-c.

note that the usb-c spec supports authentication to prevent problems
from using non-compliant devices, such as cables and chargers, which
can cause undesirable results. including installing malware (aka juice
jacking) or damaging the device. this is part of the official spec,
available to any vendor.

<https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190102005063/en/USB-IF-Launche
s-USB-Type-C>
BEAVERTON, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF),
the support organization for the advancement and adoption of USB
technology, today announced the launch of its USB Type-C
Authentication Program, marking an important milestone for the
optional USB security protocol. The USB Type-C Authentication
specification defines cryptographic-based authentication for USB
Type-C chargers and devices.

USB Type-C Authentication empowers host systems to protect against
non-compliant USB chargers and to mitigate risks from malicious
firmware/hardware in USB devices attempting to exploit a USB
connection. Using this protocol, host systems can confirm the
authenticity of a USB device, USB cable or USB charger, including
such product aspects as the capabilities and certification status.
All of this happens right at the moment a connection is made ­ before
inappropriate power or data can be transferred.

benson leung has tested numerous usb-c cables, some of which not only
didn't work, but actually damaged several of his devices.

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-
c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/>
Benson Leung, the Google engineer who moonlights as a tester of
dodgy USB Type-C cables, has sadly performed his last act of tech
vigilantism‹at least for now. When testing a Surjtech 3M USB A-to-C
cable, the cable was so bad that it fried his Chromebook Pixel laptop
and two USB PD (power delivery) analysers.

chrome os will now alert the user about the capabilities of the cable
they're using:
<https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/chromebooks-will-now-tell-you-if-yo
ur-usb-c-cable-is-no-good-for-your-needs/>
With the latest version of Chrome OS (milestone 102), Chromebooks
will now show a pop-up notification when the cable you attach doesn't
support an external display or can't deliver the full performance
needed. This feature will be supported on Chromebooks with 11th- or
12th-gen Intel Core processors with USB4 or Thunderbolt USB-C ports
to start with more to come, Google said in its blog post announcing
the update.

also note that several companies actively limit usb-c functionality, in
clear violation of the official spec. for example, the hp spectre will
only charge from an hp power adapter, despite it using usb-c.

only apple and google allow *any* charger to be used.

<https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2016/03/usb_c_laptop_chartin
g-100649896-orig.png>

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520230948010853%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2406&group=comp.misc#2406

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:48:01 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:48 UTC

In article <0orejjxroe.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> > apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>
> Yes, they do.

no they don't.

> It is called MFi certification.

mfi is for devices that use lightning and previously the 30 pin dock
connector. it was done because many cables, chargers and accessories
caused damage to the device.

non-mfi accessories work, but carry a risk that they might not work
properly or the device might be damaged.

> See links provided for
> more details.

see my other post for details.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520230948020968%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2407&group=comp.misc#2407

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:48:02 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:48 UTC

In article <u42gl8$1r7ol$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Newyana2
<Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Steve Jobs was a vain, power hungry fanatic who thought
> he was some kind of Zen master bringing higher vibes to the
> world. Meanwhile he exploited his customers. It was under Jobs
> that the programming was controlled and licensed, while anyone
> could write Windows software with standard tools.

nonsense. *anyone* could (and did) write apple ii, mac and iphone
software, using industry standard c, pascal, forth and various other
languages. in fact, many of the compilers and other tools were *not*
from apple.

compare that with windows, which is full of microsoft's non-standard
technology, including c#, active-x and .net.

> Jobs removed
> the floppy far too early, forcing customers to buy $100 USB
> floppy drives.

nobody was forced to buy anything.

the floppy was removed because few people were using it.

much better and faster options existed, including ethernet and wifi.

those who did need a floppy drive could purchase one (and for less than
$100). most did not.

also, the year that the first imac came out (1998) was also the same
year that one of the two remaining floppy disk manufacturers closed due
to low demand.

> He did the same with CDs.

he did not.

however, apple did make a mistake in not moving to cd-r sooner.

> If I remember correctly,

you do not.

> it was under Jobs that Apple fashioned a custom screw head so
> that people wouldn't be able to open Apple products without
> first manufacturing a screwdriver.

also wrong.

some macs can be opened without any tools at all, and even remain fully
operational while open, which made developing pci cards *much* easier:
<https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/usapiMdDDBFeDDhd.huge>
<https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/6j1Fmc6PY2u6c6GG.huge>

the original mac used an industry standard torx screw because it made
manufacturing more efficient. many products used torx screws, including
cars. torx screwdrivers were available at any hardware store and auto
parts stores.

if apple did want to prevent people from opening it, they would have
used a security screw, such as what's found on cable tv set top boxes
and early cellphones (with the pin in the middle). not that it stopped
very many people from opening it, since the tools were available.

<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61k4D5lA5pL._SL1000_.jpg>

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520230948041053%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2408&group=comp.misc#2408

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.mobile.android,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:48:04 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:48 UTC

In article <autejjx4bg.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.

> >> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
> >>
> >> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
> >

> > I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
> > functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.
> > Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved" cables?
>
> Yes.

no.

see my other post for details, including that authentication is part of
the official usb spec, and that in the past eight years, apple has not
blocked non-compliant cables.

but why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<kck8aaFv4uU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2409&group=comp.misc#2409

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 17 May 2023 14:57:15 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 17 May 2023 14:57 UTC

On 2023-05-17, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
>><robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C,
>>> meaning that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not
>>> Apple's own version of it.
>>
>>that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>>
>>apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>
> I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
> functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.

And you're gullible as fuck if you think those articles are based on
anything but unsubstantiated speculative rumors. The existence of a chip
does not mean Apple will be limiting functionality.

JR

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<kck8bbFv4uU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2410&group=comp.misc#2410

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.mobile.android,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 17 May 2023 14:57:47 GMT

On 2023-05-17, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
>> > functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by
>> > Apple. Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved"
>> > cables?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> no.
>
> see my other post for details, including that authentication is part
> of the official usb spec, and that in the past eight years, apple has
> not blocked non-compliant cables.
>
> but why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Because: troll.

JR

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u42r98$2gbka$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2411&group=comp.misc#2411

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:19:31 +0100
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 17 May 2023 15:19 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 09:48:01 -0400, nospam wrote:

> it was done because many cables, chargers and accessories
> caused damage to the device.

Every time Apple shoves another stick up its customer's ass, Apple smiles
sweetly telling its customers "Relax, stop moaning, we shoved that MFI
stick up your ass for your own good" (which the "mean EU" has figured out).

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u42rk6$2gcpl$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2412&group=comp.misc#2412

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:25:21 +0100
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 17 May 2023 15:25 UTC

On Wed, 17 May 2023 07:47:09 -0700, sms wrote:

> Actually there are still quite a few iPhone 6s and 6s Plus phones in
> use. Users are reluctant to give them up because it's the last iPhone
> model that has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

True. Apple stuck that stick up its customers asses saying "Relax, it's
rather courageous of us to shove this stick up your ass, isn't it."

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u4312l$3u6u3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2413&group=comp.misc#2413

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:57:56 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 17 May 2023 16:57 UTC

On 2023-05-17 04:48, badgolferman wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C,
>>> meaning that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not
>>> Apple's own version of it.
>>
>> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>>
>> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>

> I've read numerous articles where Apple is considering limiting the
> functionality of USB-C cables which haven't been "approved" by Apple.
> Isn't there some sort of a chip which identifies "approved" cables?

Show just ONE such article...

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u432kn$3u6tl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2414&group=comp.misc#2414

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:24:39 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:24 UTC

On 2023-05-17 04:52, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-05-17 12:53, nospam wrote:
>> In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
>>> that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
>>> version of it.
>>
>> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>
> <https://www.applesfera.com/iphone/violaria-directamente-ley-llegan-advertencias-comision-europea-planes-iphone-15-usb-c>
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2023/05/04/eu-warns-apple-about-limiting-usb-c-iphone-cables/>
>
> <https://www.zeit.de/digital/mobil/2023-05/eu-kommission-apple-ladekabel-einschraenkungen-warnung?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.macrumors.com%2F>
>

>> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>
> Yes, they do. It is called  MFi certification. See links provided for
> more details.

You are apparently unfamiliar with the meaning of things like:

"is expected" (link 1)

"It was rumored" (link 2)

"It is worth emphasizing that Apple potentially limiting the
functionality of uncertified USB-C cables connected to iPhone 15 models
is only a rumor for now" (link 2)

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u43332$3u6tl$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2415&group=comp.misc#2415

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:32:18 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:32 UTC

On 2023-05-17 05:17, Newyana2 wrote:
> "Here is the News" <news@here.anon> wrote
>
>> | Steve Jobs was hardcore. He's demonized now, like, "he was evil for
>> having a | strong work ethic and expecting his extraordinarily
>> well-paid employees to | perform well." | | The reality is, he was a
>> lot more of a serious person than any of these | other assholes in
>> Silicon Valley. |

> Steve Jobs was a vain, power hungry fanatic who
> thought he was some kind of Zen master bringing higher vibes to the
> world. Meanwhile he exploited his customers. It was under Jobs that
> the programming was controlled and licensed, while anyone could write
> Windows software with standard tools. Jobs removed the floppy far too
> early, forcing customers to buy $100 USB floppy drives. He did the
> same with CDs. If I remember correctly, it was under Jobs that Apple
> fashioned a custom screw head so that people wouldn't be able to open
> Apple products without first manufacturing a screwdriver. And Jobs
> famously remarked that he didn't want windows that open in his
> spaceship office building because, "When you let people open things
> they just break them."

Talk about rewriting history!

"Meanwhile he exploited his customers."

How? By charging prices that people were not only willing to pay for,
but willing to buy again and again?

"It was under Jobs that the programming was controlled and licensed,
while anyone could write Windows software with standard tools."

Really? When did this supposedly happen?

"Jobs removed the floppy far too early, forcing customers to buy $100
USB floppy drives."

And yet customers bought iMacs in DROVES.

"If I remember correctly, it was under Jobs that Apple fashioned a
custom screw head so that people wouldn't be able to open Apple products
without first manufacturing a screwdriver."

Lots of companies use security screws and Apple didn't "fashion" the
pentalobe.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u433b1$3ufvg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2416&group=comp.misc#2416

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 17:36:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9g8RhkufdelCv4BDe3VRGEeqxWQ=
 by: Chris - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:36 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
>> that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
>> version of it.
>
> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

Time will tell.

> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.

You nor anyone else outside of Apple knows that.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<u433gg$3u6u3$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2417&group=comp.misc#2417

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 10:39:28 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:39 UTC

On 2023-05-17 10:36, Chris wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <5tnejjxtof.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
>>> that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
>>> version of it.
>>
>> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>
> Time will tell.
>
>> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>
> You nor anyone else outside of Apple knows that.

Yet not knowing it, you uncritically accept that they are.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520231353230347%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2418&group=comp.misc#2418

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 13:53:23 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:53 UTC

In article <u432kn$3u6tl$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> >> that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
> >

> > <https://www.applesfera.com/iphone/violaria-directamente-ley-llegan-adverten
> > cias-comision-europea-planes-iphone-15-usb-c>
> >

> > <https://www.macrumors.com/2023/05/04/eu-warns-apple-about-limiting-usb-c-ip
> > hone-cables/>
> >

> > <https://www.zeit.de/digital/mobil/2023-05/eu-kommission-apple-ladekabel-ein
> > schraenkungen-warnung?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.macrumors.com%2F>
> >

> >> apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
> >
> > Yes, they do. It is called  MFi certification. See links provided for
> > more details.
> >

> You are apparently unfamiliar with the meaning of things like:
>
> "is expected" (link 1)
>
> "It was rumored" (link 2)
>
> "It is worth emphasizing that Apple potentially limiting the
> functionality of uncertified USB-C cables connected to iPhone 15 models
> is only a rumor for now" (link 2)

it's also worth emphasizing that the official usb spec supports
authentication.

<https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/2019-01/USB-IF_USB%20Type-C%20A
uthentication%20Program%20Press%20Release_FINAL_20181227.pdf>
[...]

another thing to keep in mind is that apple was among the first in the
industry to support usb-c back in 2015 (eight years ago), and has *not*
limited any functionality with non-authenticated devices.

meanwhile, the hp spectre only charges from hp usb-c chargers. other
chargers will not work. other laptops are also limited, but not quite
as much as hp.

<https://images.techhive.com/images/article/2016/03/usb_c_laptop_chartin
g-100649896-orig.png>

only apple & google laptops can be charged from other chargers.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520231353250430%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2419&group=comp.misc#2419

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 13:53:25 -0400

In article <u43332$3u6tl$2@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2023-05-17 05:17, Newyana2 wrote:
> "If I remember correctly, it was under Jobs that Apple fashioned a
> custom screw head so that people wouldn't be able to open Apple products
> without first manufacturing a screwdriver."
>
> Lots of companies use security screws and Apple didn't "fashion" the
> pentalobe.

apple didn't use security screws.

they used torx and pentalobe, for improving efficiency in manufacturing.

security screws (with the center pin) were used on cable tv boxes and
old (dumb) phones. appropriate tools are available, just not as common
as standard tools.

Re: France Wants to Sue Apple for Planned Obsolescence

<170520231353260490%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2420&group=comp.misc#2420

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.misc,misc.news.internet.discuss,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 13:53:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 17 May 2023 17:53 UTC

In article <u433b1$3ufvg$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> And the EU is going to force Apple to be serious with USB-C, meaning
> >> that it has to be fully compatible with the standard, not Apple's own
> >> version of it.
> >
> > that's nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
>
> Time will tell.

it's already told.

> > apple is not creating their own version of usb-c.
>
> You nor anyone else outside of Apple knows that.

the usb spec is public. anyone outside of apple can read it. even you.

apple has supported usb-c for eight years, without having created any
non-standard version.