Do not use the blue keys on this terminal.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Memory access violation

SubjectAuthor
* Memory access violationPhantman00
+* Re: Memory access violationnone
|+* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
||`* Re: Memory access violationnone
|| `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
||  `* Re: Memory access violationnone
||   +- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
||   `- Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox
|`* Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox
| `* Re: Memory access violationnone
|  `- Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox
`* Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox
 +- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
 `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
  +* Re: Memory access violationDennis Lee Bieber
  |`- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
  `* Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox
   +- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
   `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
    +- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
    `* Re: Memory access violationPancho Sanza
     `* Re: Memory access violationPancho Sanza
      `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
       `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
        `* Re: Memory access violationPancho Sanza
         `* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
          +* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
          |`* Re: Memory access violationDennis Lee Bieber
          | `- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
          `* Re: Memory access violationArthur T.
           `* Re: Memory access violationnone
            `* Re: Memory access violationArthur T.
             `* Re: Memory access violationnone
              +* Re: Memory access violationArthur T.
              |`- Re: Memory access violationnone
              `* Re: Memory access violationDennis Lee Bieber
               +* Re: Memory access violationDennis Lee Bieber
               |+- Re: Memory access violationnone
               |`* Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
               | `- Re: Memory access violationPhantman00
               `- Re: Memory access violationRalph Fox

Pages:12
Memory access violation

<itvg7g9rv799dq4r4rpblmng32bfsklvdg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2413&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2413

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Memory access violation
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Thu, 15 Apr 2021 18:24 UTC

I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop. Running more
than one at a time has never been a problem. But the other day when I
tried to start one quickly after the other (with icons on my desktop),
the first one started but the second one popped up a message that
said:

A fatal application error has occurred:
Memory access violation (at address 0x00EF96DE)

And I haven't been able to get it to start since then. Same message
each time I try although the address changes a little. I'm having no
problem starting the other five instances.

Is there something in the Agent.ini file I can change or fix to get it
going again?

Re: Memory access violation

<8p6i7gpe0agoip28uu5p7pm1gmi6ijulra@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2414&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2414

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Memory access violation
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:06:05 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 05:06 UTC

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop

To what purpose?

Re: Memory access violation

<jgci7gp0favaepto342p27lupr01a8q8pu@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2415&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2415

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:34:07 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:34 UTC

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

> I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop. Running more
> than one at a time has never been a problem. But the other day when I
> tried to start one quickly after the other (with icons on my desktop),
> the first one started but the second one popped up a message that
> said:
>
> A fatal application error has occurred:
> Memory access violation (at address 0x00EF96DE)
>
> And I haven't been able to get it to start since then. Same message
> each time I try although the address changes a little. I'm having no
> problem starting the other five instances.
>
> Is there something in the Agent.ini file I can change or fix to get it
> going again?

A lot depends on exactly what is causing the crash. For example:

1. Is it is a corruption in Agent's Router Log files?

2. Is it is corruption in Agent's message database, and Agent crashes when
trying to re-open the folder from the previous session?

3. Does Agent try to check for email on startup? And if so, is it
a corruption in the Junk corpus or the content corpus which
Agent uses for junk detection and for "Use content analysis to
enhance RBI"?

The "something" you want is different for each case:

1. For case #1, do this to let Agent start

In your Agent data folder, look for a sub-folder named "log"
which contains files with names like these

RouterLog.idx
RouterLog-YYYY-MM-DD.xml -- where the YYYY-MM-DD are dates, year first.

If the Router Log files are corrupt, the brute force solution is
to delete these files. You would lose all existing information in
the "Review Recent Email" window, but future emails will still
show up there.

2. For case #2, do both of these to let Agent start.

2.1 In the <WindowDefaults> XML section of AGENT.INI, look for
the <Window> sub-section which has <Class>BrowseWin</Class>.

In the same <Window> sub-section, look at the <Target>
setting. The 6th number in the <Target> setting is the
default folder which will be selected.

Change the 6th number to 0, which will cause Agent to select
the desk instead of a folder.

2.2 In the <Windows> XML section of AGENT.INI, there is a
<Window> sub-section for each tab in Agent. Look for
the <Window> sub-sections which have <Class>BrowseWin</Class>.
These are the tabs which are browser windows.

For each browser window in the <Windows> section, look at
the <Target> setting. The 6th number in the <Target> setting
is the folder which will be selected on start-up.

Change the 6th number to 0, which will cause Agent to select
the desk instead of a folder.

This does not repair corrupted folders. For case #2, this is just
enough to let Agent start. For case #2, selecting the corrupted
folder after Agent starts may still cause Agent to crash.

3. It might not be #3, because the more common error in this case is
"out of bounds".

In case it is #3, do this to let Agent start:

In the [EMail] section of AGENT.INI, change the setting
AutoCheck=1 to AutoCheck=0.

This does not repair a corrupted corpus. For case #3, this is just
enough to let Agent start. For case #3, you may still get the
error when you check for email. For case #3, you may need to delete
one or both of the *.zf files in Agent's data folder. You may
lose all Junk training if you do this.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Memory access violation

<4b4j7g1dq441kek2kc65eppklpcf6h8i7e@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2416&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2416

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:35:54 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:35 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:06:05 +0200, none@given.com wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:
>>I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop

>To what purpose?

Email except the one I'm using here. I use this one for usenet too.
The one that's broken is strictly for email.

Re: Memory access violation

<ln4j7glrfcsf6dgjboq80jq3984vsc40a4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2417&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2417

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:39:45 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:39 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:34:07 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
> is the folder which will be selected on start-up.
>
> Change the 6th number to 0, which will cause Agent to select
> the desk instead of a folder.
>
> This does not repair corrupted folders. For case #2, this is just
> enough to let Agent start. For case #2, selecting the corrupted
> folder after Agent starts may still cause Agent to crash.
>

> 3. It might not be #3, because the more common error in this case is
> "out of bounds".
>
> In case it is #3, do this to let Agent start:
>
> In the [EMail] section of AGENT.INI, change the setting
> AutoCheck=1 to AutoCheck=0.
>
> This does not repair a corrupted corpus. For case #3, this is just
> enough to let Agent start. For case #3, you may still get the
> error when you check for email. For case #3, you may need to delete
> one or both of the *.zf files in Agent's data folder. You may

Thanks Ralph. This should keep me busy for awhile. I'll report back
later today.

Re: Memory access violation

<c59j7gh4qjtvl9i5vvq8qakh9rou5268ke@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2418&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2418

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:12:48 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 15:12 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
> is the folder which will be selected on start-up.
>
> Change the 6th number to 0, which will cause Agent to select
> the desk instead of a folder.
>
> This does not repair corrupted folders. For case #2, this is just
> enough to let Agent start. For case #2, selecting the corrupted
> folder after Agent starts may still cause Agent to crash.
>

> 3. It might not be #3, because the more common error in this case is
> "out of bounds".
>
> In case it is #3, do this to let Agent start:
>
> In the [EMail] section of AGENT.INI, change the setting
> AutoCheck=1 to AutoCheck=0.
>
> This does not repair a corrupted corpus. For case #3, this is just
> enough to let Agent start. For case #3, you may still get the
> error when you check for email. For case #3, you may need to delete
> one or both of the *.zf files in Agent's data folder. You may

I'm back. That didn't take as long as I thought it would.

First
#1 Deleted all files in the log folder.
Then
#2.1 and #2.2 both of those target numbers were already set to zero.
Then
#3 Changed the AutoCheck to 0 and deleted both zf files.

But, unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in my mission. Still getting
the same error message

Just for the heck of it, I replaced the Agent.ini file with Agent.ini
from another instance. It started as if it was a new instance. No
folders, no messages, no nuthin'. But at least I didn't get the error
message. I'm not sure but seems like that tells me the problem is
within the Agent.ini file. But beyond that, I'm stumped.

Re: Memory access violation

<8ijj7gltevrfhbunuocuf99j19b2serf4r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2419&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2419

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:55:51 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 17:55 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:12:48 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid declaimed the
following:

>Just for the heck of it, I replaced the Agent.ini file with Agent.ini
>from another instance. It started as if it was a new instance. No
>folders, no messages, no nuthin'. But at least I didn't get the error
>message. I'm not sure but seems like that tells me the problem is
>within the Agent.ini file. But beyond that, I'm stumped.

No... Since the INI file specifies the list of group files for the
instance, changing the INI file and not seeing any folders would most
likely just mean that the list of groups is different and didn't match any
in the directory.

You could still have a problem with any of the DAT/IDX pairs in the
directory and nothing wrong with the INI. To prove it is the INI file that
is the fault, you would have to move the failing instance into one that was
working, and see if that kills the working instance.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Memory access violation

<i5nj7g1sirlfjhtdib8sac877jmqm17mhs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2420&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2420

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 14:05:22 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:05 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:55:51 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:12:48 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid declaimed the
>following:
>

>>Just for the heck of it, I replaced the Agent.ini file with Agent.ini
>>from another instance. It started as if it was a new instance. No
>>folders, no messages, no nuthin'. But at least I didn't get the error
>>message. I'm not sure but seems like that tells me the problem is
>>within the Agent.ini file. But beyond that, I'm stumped.
>
> No... Since the INI file specifies the list of group files for the
>instance, changing the INI file and not seeing any folders would most
>likely just mean that the list of groups is different and didn't match any
>in the directory.
>
> You could still have a problem with any of the DAT/IDX pairs in the
>directory and nothing wrong with the INI. To prove it is the INI file that
>is the fault, you would have to move the failing instance into one that was
>working, and see if that kills the working instance.

I see (says the blind man).
What happens if I remove a few recently dated dat/idx pairs one at a
time? Wouldn't the corruption be in a recently dated pair?
I've never tried doing that. For all I know, that could maybe crash
even a perfectly working instance. I'm hoping I can fix this problem
without creating another problem. lol!

Re: Memory access violation

<sgoj7g9f2p1jg66dnd28hvqf8vp25pk263@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2421&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2421

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:18:04 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:18 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:35:54 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:06:05 +0200, none@given.com wrote:
>>On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:
>>>I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop
>
>>To what purpose?
>
>Email except the one I'm using here. I use this one for usenet too.
>The one that's broken is strictly for email.

Aha. Is running multiple instances better for you than simply using
fewer instances, but with multiple personas?

Re: Memory access violation

<sumj7g9k7jm1j45g1siafs34s9l4ouh4rh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2422&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2422

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:28:36 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 19:28 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:12:48 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

> [...]
>> one or both of the *.zf files in Agent's data folder. You may
>> lose all Junk training if you do this.
>
> I'm back. That didn't take as long as I thought it would.
>
> First
> #1 Deleted all files in the log folder.
> Then
> #2.1 and #2.2 both of those target numbers were already set to zero.
> Then
> #3 Changed the AutoCheck to 0 and deleted both zf files.
>
> But, unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in my mission. Still getting
> the same error message
>
> Just for the heck of it, I replaced the Agent.ini file with Agent.ini
> from another instance. It started as if it was a new instance. No
> folders, no messages, no nuthin'. But at least I didn't get the error
> message. I'm not sure but seems like that tells me the problem is
> within the Agent.ini file. But beyond that, I'm stumped.

Agent's nested folders hierarchy is stored in AGENT.INI in the
<FolderTree> section. If that is corrupted, it can cause Agent
to crash.

If the replacement AGENT.INI did not contain any groups/folders
which Agent had, those groups/folders would be automatically
imported into an "Imported Folders" desk. Check if you have an
"Imported Folders" desk, and if so, check if any of the groups/folders
in there are
(a) Either, former nested folders
(b) Or, corrupt.

For HTML messages, there is an HTML construct which can cause
Agent to crash when (and only when) the mouse passes over the
specific area of the message body where this construct is.
(This construct is never seen in personal emails, it is an
advanced HTML technique which only ever seen in HTML composed
by a professional HTML author.)

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Memory access violation

<aevj7g96di1o109ftsprnskh81ovgcmlat@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2423&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2423

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 16:14:50 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:14 UTC

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:28:36 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>

>Agent's nested folders hierarchy is stored in AGENT.INI in the
><FolderTree> section. If that is corrupted, it can cause Agent
>to crash.
>

>If the replacement AGENT.INI did not contain any groups/folders
>which Agent had, those groups/folders would be automatically
>imported into an "Imported Folders" desk. Check if you have an
>"Imported Folders" desk, and if so, check if any of the groups/folders
>in there are
> (a) Either, former nested folders
> (b) Or, corrupt.
>

>For HTML messages, there is an HTML construct which can cause
>Agent to crash when (and only when) the mouse passes over the
>specific area of the message body where this construct is.
>(This construct is never seen in personal emails, it is an
>advanced HTML technique which only ever seen in HTML composed

Well..... I found the <folderTree> section but I don't know what I'm
looking at. I see numbers that match with idx/dat files but without
the idx/dat extensions.

After my earlier failed experiment with replacing the Agent.ini file,
I deleted the replacement file and put the original.ini file back in.
So I did the swap again to recreate my experiment but this time it
didn't act like before. It acted like I hadn't made the swap at all. I
don't know how that's possible but I gave up after trying to start it
several times. So I wasn't able to see a "Imported Folders" desk.

I don't remember ever crashing an HTML message. If I get one that I
want to read, I usually just launch it in a browser.

Re: Memory access violation

<okvj7ghb2hvp0hdlflp3t9cq4aql4hpqb5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2424

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 16:20:16 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:20 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:18:04 +0200, none@given.com wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 08:35:54 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>>>To what purpose?
>>
>>Email except the one I'm using here. I use this one for usenet too.
>>The one that's broken is strictly for email.
>
>Aha. Is running multiple instances better for you than simply using
>fewer instances, but with multiple personas?

Yup. Just my convoluted way of trying to keep my email somewhat
organized.

Re: Memory access violation

<kisk7g12qbcnj7j1lkj0lcat7spqg9kt3r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2425

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:32:03 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 05:32 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 16:20:16 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:18:04 +0200, none@given.com wrote:

>>>Email except the one I'm using here. I use this one for usenet too.
>>>The one that's broken is strictly for email.
>>
>>Aha. Is running multiple instances better for you than simply using
>>fewer instances, but with multiple personas?
>
>Yup. Just my convoluted way of trying to keep my email somewhat
>organized.

Just a thought: is there perhaps some limit to Agent's file
size/number of items that the affected instances are coming up against
(but which the others have not yet reached)?

Re: Memory access violation

<0cvk7gpm4nka5e6rh0vpddi7bkob9ee6vo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2426&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2426

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 01:22:32 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 06:22 UTC

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:32:03 +0200, none@given.com wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 16:20:16 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>>>Aha. Is running multiple instances better for you than simply using
>>>fewer instances, but with multiple personas?
>>
>>Yup. Just my convoluted way of trying to keep my email somewhat
>>organized.
>>>

>Just a thought: is there perhaps some limit to Agent's file
>size/number of items that the affected instances are coming up against
>(but which the others have not yet reached)?

There's a limit but I'm not there yet by a fairly long shot.

Re: Memory access violation

<q28l7g9dpgcjf2oqrlklc9uaqpc35h9bop@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2427

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 20:49:09 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:49 UTC

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:32:03 +0200, none@given.com wrote:

> Just a thought: is there perhaps some limit to Agent's file
> size/number of items

Since Agent 7.1
128 GB for a group's/folder's 0xxxxxxx.DAT file
16 million messages per group/folder
<https://www.forteinc.com/release/notes.php?id=71>

> that the affected instances are coming up against
> (but which the others have not yet reached)?

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Memory access violation

<r98l7gl9fasmahcotfskon34us4t5kgi6n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2428

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:05:39 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 09:05 UTC

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:06:05 +0200, none@given.com wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:24:01 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:
>
>> I have six instances of Agent v8 on my Win10 laptop
>
> To what purpose?

Why should it matter to you in the slightest?

I have three instances of Agent v8
1. My main instance for normal use.
2. A test instance of Agent 8. If I break something it does not
affect my main instance, and I can reset it without losing
anything important.
3. A third instance for testing builds of the Agent Unicode
Extension.

I also have several instances of other Agent versions. That includes
an instance of Agent 2.0 set up to use as an outbound email server,
so I can create and send test emails without those emails going
outside my own computer.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Memory access violation

<hfhn7gl41k88tovpu6hdq3if2gfe465s08@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2429&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2429

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 07:59:43 +0200
 by: non...@given.com - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 05:59 UTC

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:05:39 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>Why should it matter to you in the slightest?

Why should it matter to anyone in the slightest? They're not him,
after all, and don't have his problem..

But on the other hand, when someone has weird a problem with the same
software that one is also using without issues, there is a natural
human tendency to ponder why it's happening to them specifically,

Possible there is some kind of link between doing non-standard stuff
with software and getting non-standard problems with it?

Note that I wasn't criticising the setup, merely wondering about the
reasons for doing it that way.

>I have three instances of Agent v8

A test/development environment for specific purposes is of course not
the same as a normal user-end setup.

Re: Memory access violation

<vfpn7gpvoisco7i6hgf83abtjpp1813nkk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2430&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2430

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 20:14:55 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 08:14 UTC

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 07:59:43 +0200, none@given.com wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:05:39 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Why should it matter to you in the slightest?
>
> Why should it matter to anyone in the slightest? They're not him,
> after all, and don't have his problem..
>
> But on the other hand, when someone has weird a problem with the same
> software that one is also using without issues, there is a natural
> human tendency to ponder why it's happening to them specifically,
>
> Possible there is some kind of link between doing non-standard stuff
> with software and getting non-standard problems with it?

Running multiple Agent instances is _not_ non-standard stuff. There
is even a section in the Agent 8 help file on running multiple
instances.

And this is not new. Back with Agent v2 and v1, multiple instances
was also the recommended way to have multiple servers.

> Note that I wasn't criticising the setup, merely wondering about the
> reasons for doing it that way.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Memory access violation

<u2oo7g1br29nhjf2d5d8e4btgshb9mf2jc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2431&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2431

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 12:15:34 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:15 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
>

>Agent's nested folders hierarchy is stored in AGENT.INI in the
><FolderTree> section. If that is corrupted, it can cause Agent
>to crash.
>

>If the replacement AGENT.INI did not contain any groups/folders
>which Agent had, those groups/folders would be automatically
>imported into an "Imported Folders" desk. Check if you have an
>"Imported Folders" desk, and if so, check if any of the groups/folders
>in there are
> (a) Either, former nested folders
> (b) Or, corrupt.
>

>For HTML messages, there is an HTML construct which can cause
>Agent to crash when (and only when) the mouse passes over the
>specific area of the message body where this construct is.
>(This construct is never seen in personal emails, it is an
>advanced HTML technique which only ever seen in HTML composed

Well it's a new day and I woke up with my brain a tiny bit less
fatigued and foggy. So I went through your possible remidies again and
had a break through. Not sure how this happened, probably operator
error, but the autocheck in my test instance was set to 1. So I reset
it (again I think) to 0. And, voila!, now. at least, Agent starts
without immediately crashing and I can read my previously downloaded
email. And in my Inbox, I found something weird. About a dozen emails
that don't make sense and dated the day my memory error started
popping up. I set "View all headers" and they don't have headers! At
least not the kind I've ever seen. So I ran my virus software but it
found nothing. So I deleted them all, They're still in my Trash folder
though.

Howerer, when I manually try to get new email, I'm getting the same
error message.......

"A fatal application error has occurred:
Memory access violation (at address 0x00????DE etc)"

.......as before. But at least I feel like I'm making progress.

Should any of that give a clue to what's going on with this instance?
My other instances are all still working normally.

Re: Memory access violation

<flso7g9c8ebnt8g3qdf631rmtbf6klgp0m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2432&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2432

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 13:53:13 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 18:53 UTC

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 12:15:34 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:
>Well it's a new day and I woke up with my brain a tiny bit less
>fatigued and foggy. So I went through your possible remidies again and
>had a break through. Not sure how this happened, probably operator
>error, but the autocheck in my test instance was set to 1. So I reset
>it (again I think) to 0. And, voila!, now. at least, Agent starts
>without immediately crashing and I can read my previously downloaded
>email. And in my Inbox, I found something weird. About a dozen emails
>that don't make sense and dated the day my memory error started
>popping up. I set "View all headers" and they don't have headers! At
>least not the kind I've ever seen. So I ran my virus software but it
>found nothing. So I deleted them all, They're still in my Trash folder
>though.
>
>Howerer, when I manually try to get new email, I'm getting the same
>error message.......
>
>"A fatal application error has occurred:
> Memory access violation (at address 0x00????DE etc)"
>
>......as before. But at least I feel like I'm making progress.
>
>Should any of that give a clue to what's going on with this instance?
>My other instances are all still working normally.

Ok, this is getting weirder and weirder. I'm starting to think this is
somethng other than an Agent problem.

Looks like what's happening is, after I deleted all those strange
emails and sent them to the trash, every time I try to download new
email I crash again (with memory error message) but two of those
strange emails somehow download *again* to my Inbox. I think I had so
many at first because Agent was downloading the same two right before
it crashed every time. They all had different time stamps though.
(stamped at the time I downloaded them)

I have only one email server set up on the broken instance, and that's
with Gmail. So I signed into my Gmail web mail and those 2 strange
emails are nowhere to be found. I expected to find them in my Inbox
but they're not there or in any other box for that matter.

So, using the same gmail interface, I sent myself a test message to
see if it would download along with the two strange ones (that weren't
there). And it didn't download to Agent. Only the two strange ones
that weren't in my gmail inbox downloaded again.

So I can delete them from Agent until the cows come home but they
download again and immediately crash whenever I check my email. Can't
delete them from the gmail web interface because they aren't there.

Needless to say, Im more baffled than ever.

Re: Memory access violation

<s5hvl0$2bcf$1@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2433&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2433

From: spansa...@gmail.com (Pancho Sanza)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:00:48 +0200
 by: Pancho Sanza - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:00 UTC

Ysgrifennodd Phantman00@nospam.invalid:

>Howerer, when I manually try to get new email, I'm getting the same
>error message.......

>"A fatal application error has occurred:
> Memory access violation (at address 0x00????DE etc)"

Does your email provider offer webmail? If so you may be able to log
into the web interface and remove the malformed mail(s) that is(are)
causing Agent to crash.

Or install Thunderbird and let it check your mailbox.

Some time ago I had the same problem with a gmail account. Deleting
some (spam) mails on gmail.com solved the problem.

--
Pancho

Re: Memory access violation

<s5hvqa$2bcf$2@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2434&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2434

From: spansa...@gmail.com (Pancho Sanza)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:03:38 +0200
 by: Pancho Sanza - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:03 UTC

Ysgrifennodd Pancho Sanza <spansanza@gmail.com>:

>Does your email provider offer webmail? If so you may be able to log
>into the web interface and remove the malformed mail(s) that is(are)
>causing Agent to crash.

Ah, I see you already done that. Have you tried emptying the Spam and
Trash Bin?

--
Pancho

Re: Memory access violation

<425p7g59od3q6p307e87hhj537inci3o0l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2435&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2435

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 15:28:44 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 20:28 UTC

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:03:38 +0200, Pancho Sanza <spansanza@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Ysgrifennodd Pancho Sanza <spansanza@gmail.com>:
>>Does your email provider offer webmail? If so you may be able to log
>>into the web interface and remove the malformed mail(s) that is(are)
>>causing Agent to crash.
>
>Ah, I see you already done that. Have you tried emptying the Spam and
>Trash Bin?

Not in Agent yet but that's about to happen next And I didn't see a
trash folder on the gmail interface. I seldom if ever use that
interface and I'm not really familiar with it. So I may have missed
it. I'll check there again,

Re: Memory access violation

<l68p7g15k4id2bpr00edu98v1rpscg40ov@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2436&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2436

From: Phantma...@nospam.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 16:20:12 -0500
Sender: Phantman00@nospam.invalid
 by: Phantma...@nospam.invalid - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:20 UTC

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 15:28:44 -0500, Phantman00@nospam.invalid wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:03:38 +0200, Pancho Sanza <spansanza@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Ysgrifennodd Pancho Sanza <spansanza@gmail.com>:
>>>Does your email provider offer webmail? If so you may be able to log
>>>into the web interface and remove the malformed mail(s) that is(are)
>>>causing Agent to crash.
>>
>>Ah, I see you already done that. Have you tried emptying the Spam and
>>Trash Bin?
>
>Not in Agent yet but that's about to happen next And I didn't see a
>trash folder on the gmail interface. I seldom if ever use that
>interface and I'm not really familiar with it. So I may have missed
>it. I'll check there again,

Found it. Web trash folder was empty and spam folder didn't have
anything out of the ordinary. I emptied it anyway. Then deleted the
Inbox which moved it to trash, so then I emptied the Trash.

Then I emptied the Agent trash folder.
Didn't help though.
Still getting the two strange messages when I "get mail" right before
the memory error message pops up. .

Re: Memory access violation

<s5iad5$1rv8$1@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2437&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2437

From: spansa...@gmail.com (Pancho Sanza)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:04:21 +0200
 by: Pancho Sanza - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:04 UTC

Ysgrifennodd Phantman00@nospam.invalid:

>Still getting the two strange messages when I "get mail"
>right before the memory error message pops up. .

How odd...

Another thing you could try is set up a new, identical incoming mail
account in Agent, disable the one that let Agent crash, and see what
happens when you fetch mail with this new instance.

Just another 2 cents.

--
Pancho