From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Locked out?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48:23 +0000
 by: RobH - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48 UTC

I was running another version of linux on a 250gb ssd for some years,
then changed over to Mint Cinnamon 20 something about 6 months ago. I
installed Mint on a 120Gb ssd, and had my /home folder on a spinning disk.

Last week I decided to format the 250Gb ssd and use it for other files.
Then yesterday, I had to reboot my desktop , and when it rebooted, the
250Gb ssd was now read only and couldn't be mounted. Also , on the
spinning disk I had other files in a separate partition from my /home
folder. They also became read only, and couldn't be mounted

I decided to shutdown my desktop and remove the 250Gb ssd to take off
the files which were on it and then reformat it.
After removing the said disk, I turned on my desktop to boot back into
Linux Mint, but it didn't. The boot process failed at a (initramfs) prompt.
There was also an error message about my graphics card :failed VCE resume.

How do I get back into the Linux Mint desktop.

Re: Locked out? now solved

<j23660Flcb5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2414&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2414

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Locked out? now solved
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:13:20 +0000
 by: RobH - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:13 UTC

On 17/12/2021 09:48, RobH wrote:
> I was running another version of linux on a 250gb ssd for some years,
> then changed over to Mint Cinnamon 20 something about 6 months ago. I
> installed Mint on a 120Gb ssd, and had my /home folder on a spinning disk.
>
> Last week I decided to format the 250Gb ssd and use it for other files.
> Then yesterday, I had to reboot my desktop , and when it rebooted, the
> 250Gb ssd was now read only and couldn't be mounted. Also , on the
> spinning disk I had other files in a separate partition from my /home
> folder. They also became read only, and couldn't be mounted
>
> I decided to shutdown my desktop and remove the 250Gb ssd to take off
> the files which were on it and then reformat it.
> After removing the said disk, I turned on my desktop to boot back into
> Linux Mint, but it didn't. The boot process failed at a (initramfs) prompt.
> There was also an error message about my graphics card :failed VCE resume.
>
> How do I get back into the Linux Mint desktop.

A search on google , first link, told me how to check the file system etc.
Now back to my Mint desktop and the 250GB ssd as well as the separate
partition on the spinning disk are both readable again, and mount ok.

Out of interest, why would this error with the filesystem on /dev/sdb2.
Linux Mint is installed as FAT32 EFI /boot/efi on the 120GB ssd and is
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2 is ext4 filesystem and uses 26.24Gb

Thanks