From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:37:40 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 22:37 UTC

On 2022-07-21 12:19:13 +0000, Simon Clubley said:

> While reading the list of what people are likely to ask for next in
> VMS, I realised that some people missed the real DEC keyboards...

Should VSI commission work within OpenVMS and its apps to allow those
apps and RTLs to function better with common implementations of ISO/IEC
9995 compliant keyboards?

How many of you would be interested in updated OpenVMS apps and RTLs
that worked or worked better with widely-available USB keyboards?

This hypothetical work might include the addition of tools such as
emacs, vim/neovim, and/or Alpine Pico, for those folks accustomed to
other common tools and/or working without an editing keypad.

For me, I've been using a full-size Apple keyboard and which is fairly
close to the DEC layout, and using the command-line modes of various
OpenVMS apps, and using vim and such, but thought I would ask the
question anyway. 😎

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?

<tddv72$3n905$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24366&group=comp.os.vms#24366

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:19:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:19 UTC

On 2022-08-12, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> wrote:

> On 2022-07-21 12:19:13 +0000, Simon Clubley said:
>
>> While reading the list of what people are likely to ask for next in
>> VMS, I realised that some people missed the real DEC keyboards...
>
> Should VSI commission work within OpenVMS and its apps to allow those
> apps and RTLs to function better with common implementations of ISO/IEC
> 9995 compliant keyboards?
>
> How many of you would be interested in updated OpenVMS apps and RTLs
> that worked or worked better with widely-available USB keyboards?

Current VMS applications work just fine with a full USB keyboard provided
you have a decent emulator.

BTW, how many people using PCs have miniature PC keyboards in offices and
such like ? I generally see normal full PC keyboards, not some laptop type
keyboard.

> This hypothetical work might include the addition of tools such as
> emacs, vim/neovim, and/or Alpine Pico, for those folks accustomed to
> other common tools and/or working without an editing keypad.

Emacs has an EDT keypad mode. Works just fine for me.

> For me, I've been using a full-size Apple keyboard and which is fairly
> close to the DEC layout, and using the command-line modes of various
> OpenVMS apps, and using vim and such, but thought I would ask the
> question anyway. ?

Mickey-take score 6/10 (Could do better. :-))

Simon.

Re: Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?

<00B79435.BCF2EDA4@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24371&group=comp.os.vms#24371

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:45:26 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:45 UTC

In article <td6knk$2k526$1@dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:

>On 2022-07-21 12:19:13 +0000, Simon Clubley said:
>
>> While reading the list of what people are likely to ask for next in
>> VMS, I realised that some people missed the real DEC keyboards...
>
>Should VSI commission work within OpenVMS and its apps to allow those
>apps and RTLs to function better with common implementations of ISO/IEC
>9995 compliant keyboards?

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! if it would mean fucking up any current capabilities
that work with existing keyboards and virtual keyboards; especially, for
those of us NOT using those Piece-of-Shit-"OSes" from that schlock outfit
in Redmond and its eco-systems!

>How many of you would be interested in updated OpenVMS apps and RTLs
>that worked or worked better with widely-available USB keyboards?
>
>This hypothetical work might include the addition of tools such as
>emacs, vim/neovim, and/or Alpine Pico, for those folks accustomed to
>other common tools and/or working without an editing keypad.
>
>For me, I've been using a full-size Apple keyboard and which is fairly
>close to the DEC layout, and using the command-line modes of various
>OpenVMS apps, and using vim and such, but thought I would ask the
>question anyway.

Me too. I have iTerm configured to allow that full-size Apple keyboard
the allow me to edit on VMS.

Re: Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?

<tdgba4$1m9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24396&group=comp.os.vms#24396

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:58:11 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:58 UTC

On 15/08/2022 18:45, VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> In article <td6knk$2k526$1@dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>>
>> On 2022-07-21 12:19:13 +0000, Simon Clubley said:
>>
>>> While reading the list of what people are likely to ask for next in
>>> VMS, I realised that some people missed the real DEC keyboards...
>>
>> Should VSI commission work within OpenVMS and its apps to allow those
>> apps and RTLs to function better with common implementations of ISO/IEC
>> 9995 compliant keyboards?
>
> NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! if it would mean fucking up any current capabilities
> that work with existing keyboards and virtual keyboards; especially, for
> those of us NOT using those Piece-of-Shit-"OSes" from that schlock outfit
> in Redmond and its eco-systems!
>

>> How many of you would be interested in updated OpenVMS apps and RTLs
>> that worked or worked better with widely-available USB keyboards?
>>
>> This hypothetical work might include the addition of tools such as
>> emacs, vim/neovim, and/or Alpine Pico, for those folks accustomed to
>> other common tools and/or working without an editing keypad.
>>
>> For me, I've been using a full-size Apple keyboard and which is fairly
>> close to the DEC layout, and using the command-line modes of various
>> OpenVMS apps, and using vim and such, but thought I would ask the
>> question anyway.
>
> Me too. I have iTerm configured to allow that full-size Apple keyboard
> the allow me to edit on VMS.

I quite the like of some form of set terminal/keyboard_layout=...

--
Chris

Re: Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?

<tdipg7$1kg1$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24411&group=comp.os.vms#24411

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:12:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:12 UTC

In article <00B79435.BCF2EDA4@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman-
@SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

> In article <td6knk$2k526$1@dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
> >
> >On 2022-07-21 12:19:13 +0000, Simon Clubley said:
> >
> >> While reading the list of what people are likely to ask for next in
> >> VMS, I realised that some people missed the real DEC keyboards...
> >
> >Should VSI commission work within OpenVMS and its apps to allow those
> >apps and RTLs to function better with common implementations of ISO/IEC
> >9995 compliant keyboards?
>
> NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! if it would mean fucking up any current capabilities
> that work with existing keyboards and virtual keyboards; especially, for
> those of us NOT using those Piece-of-Shit-"OSes" from that schlock outfit
> in Redmond and its eco-systems!

Indeed.

computers / comp.os.vms / Should VSI enhance app compatibility with PC layout keyboards ?