Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 08:20:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: A work-related comment on the US economy.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 16:20 UTC

Hi everyone,

Think about your professional life and the things you've seen in it.

How many times have you heard conversations that sound a little bit like this one, in which I've inserted myself as one of the two characters:

Q: So, Mr. White, why should we hire you?
A: Well, as you can see from my free work samples, I’m uniquely qualified to do work to help the causes we agree on.
Q: OK. What are your salary requirements?
A: One email per month.
Q: I see. What if I told you that we weren’t going to hire you, no matter what?
A: Then I would still volunteer, because the causes are so important.
Q: (smiling) Wonderful. Mr. White, thank you for your service to our organization.
A: Yes, you really should pay me for real. I will stop volunteering when I please, and you will be unsupported in many ways you don’t fully understand. Is that clear?
Q: Goodbye, Mr. White! Please continue helping our organization!

Have you sensed many conversations in your professional life that sound sort of like this one? Have you sensed any such (perhaps metaphorical or potential) conversations where it was clear to you that others who would have realized that they would have really wanted to perceive such interactions weren't able to do so? For those with advanced economics training: What does this sort of interview-type interaction have to do with inflation, according to you?

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)