Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 17:43:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Some thoughts on strategy, business strategy, global affairs, and chess.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 01:43 UTC

Hi everyone,

Not everyone knows that chess is a wonderful "simulation ground" for real-life strategy, including business strategy. Do you have a great idea about strategy that you just aren't sure would work in real-life? Why not try to adapt your idea to chess, and test it out against chess bots?

One thing I learned when I was a young chess student that might help folks who are interested in global affairs is: You should almost never just perpetually put your opponent's King in check, unless you are seeking a draw. That is, some beginning chess players are, as I was taught, overly inclined to repeatedly attack an opponent's King, seeking check again and again for the thrill of drama, and failing to apply appropriate tactical maneuvers (including basic forks, pins, skewers, discovered attacks, tactical combinations, and long-term positional sabotage efforts like pawn structure disruption) to achieve checkmate.

In your strategic endeavors, have you ever faced the possibility that you might be obsessing over and over-vilifying a particular adversary--perhaps a competing corporation or executive--to the exclusion of serious strategic and "non-laser-like" and "flashlight-like" action against your opponent(s) in your strategic arena that you are competing in?

Please consider contemplating these thoughts as the year draws to a close and Americans and others take stock of the US economy and global politics!

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: Some thoughts on strategy, business strategy, global affairs, and chess.

<387804f1-f3fe-42e0-893f-8dcf14ec39e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24464&group=comp.theory#24464

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 18:57:05 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 02:57 UTC

On Sunday, December 12, 2021 at 8:43:35 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Not everyone knows that chess is a wonderful "simulation ground" for real-life strategy, including business strategy. Do you have a great idea about strategy that you just aren't sure would work in real-life? Why not try to adapt your idea to chess, and test it out against chess bots?
>
> One thing I learned when I was a young chess student that might help folks who are interested in global affairs is: You should almost never just perpetually put your opponent's King in check, unless you are seeking a draw. That is, some beginning chess players are, as I was taught, overly inclined to repeatedly attack an opponent's King, seeking check again and again for the thrill of drama, and failing to apply appropriate tactical maneuvers (including basic forks, pins, skewers, discovered attacks, tactical combinations, and long-term positional sabotage efforts like pawn structure disruption) to achieve checkmate.
>
> In your strategic endeavors, have you ever faced the possibility that you might be obsessing over and over-vilifying a particular adversary--perhaps a competing corporation or executive--to the exclusion of serious strategic and "non-laser-like" and "flashlight-like" action against your opponent(s) in your strategic arena that you are competing in?
>
> Please consider contemplating these thoughts as the year draws to a close and Americans and others take stock of the US economy and global politics!
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

By the way, in case StockFish is too hard for you to compete against meaningfully, you might want to check out the bots on chess.com . As of today, it looks like chess.com is quite secure, indeed! You don't even need to login to check out your ideas to see if your rating will go up based on how you play without your ideas.

-Philip