From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: MAIL> SET PERSONAL_NAME
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 16:37:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 16:37 UTC

In constrast to the logical name TCPIP$SMTP_FROM, there is no way to
define PERSONAL_NAME other than from within MAIL itself, right?

It seems to work like this: Once defined, that is the value for any MAIL
command. However, if (re)defined at the MAIL prompt, mail sent from
that session will get the new value and keep it until MAIL is exited,
regardless of what is (re)defined elsewhere. However, that
(re)definition affects NEW invocations of MAIL.

Re: MAIL> SET PERSONAL_NAME

<teqohk$27v8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24641&group=comp.os.vms#24641

From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: MAIL> SET PERSONAL_NAME
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:01:40 -0400
 by: Stephen Hoffman - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 17:01 UTC

On 2022-09-01 16:37:25 +0000, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply said:

> In constrast to the logical name TCPIP$SMTP_FROM, there is no way to
> define PERSONAL_NAME other than from within MAIL itself, right?

Nope, though there's also the API:

MAIL$USER_SET_INFO context ,in_item_list ,out_item_list

with

MAIL$_USER_SET_PERSONAL_NAME

The VSI OpenVMS MAIL app and mail server is lacking in account
management and related capabilities, and lacking in connection
security. it can usually be coaxed into relaying through a more secure
mail server, though.

If you're curious about this stuff within Mail and ilk, aim the strings
tool at Mail app and at its shareable, and see what it knows about.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: MAIL> SET PERSONAL_NAME

<tequu5$16q9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24643&group=comp.os.vms#24643

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 18:50:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 18:50 UTC

In article <teqn45$1kgv$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
writes:

> In constrast to the logical name TCPIP$SMTP_FROM, there is no way to
> define PERSONAL_NAME other than from within MAIL itself, right?
>
> It seems to work like this: Once defined, that is the value for any MAIL
> command. However, if (re)defined at the MAIL prompt, mail sent from
> that session will get the new value and keep it until MAIL is exited,
> regardless of what is (re)defined elsewhere. However, that
> (re)definition affects NEW invocations of MAIL.

From HELP:

You must begin the string with an alphabetic
character and avoid two consecutive embedded spaces within the
string.

Any ideas about the reasons for such restrictions?

Also, the HELP on /USER and /ALL seems rather confusing. Without it,
SHOW PERSONAL_NAME/USER shows all personal names which exist; /ALL shows
those that don't exist as well.

Re: MAIL> SET PERSONAL_NAME

<tf18td$4k7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24714&group=comp.os.vms#24714

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 00:18:16 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 04:18 UTC

On 9/1/2022 2:50 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <teqn45$1kgv$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply))
> writes:
>
>> In constrast to the logical name TCPIP$SMTP_FROM, there is no way to
>> define PERSONAL_NAME other than from within MAIL itself, right?
>>
>> It seems to work like this: Once defined, that is the value for any MAIL
>> command. However, if (re)defined at the MAIL prompt, mail sent from
>> that session will get the new value and keep it until MAIL is exited,
>> regardless of what is (re)defined elsewhere. However, that
>> (re)definition affects NEW invocations of MAIL.
>
> From HELP:
>
> You must begin the string with an alphabetic
> character and avoid two consecutive embedded spaces within the
> string.
>
> Any ideas about the reasons for such restrictions?

I believe it was for compatibility with other mail systems around when
VMS Mail mattered. The double space may have been for NMAIL, an internal
to Digital mail tool to retry when the remote node is down (like what
every modern mail system already does)

I made my NOTES personal name (with the same restrictions) start with a
non-alphabetic character several times by hacking my notes$notebook.note
file. Didn't seem to cause any problems.