"I prefer the blunted cudgels of the followers of the Serpent God." -- Sean Doran the Younger

devel / comp.theory / Re: Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A. Cook Problem

SubjectAuthor
* Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A.B.H.
+- Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A.wij
`* Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A.B.H.
 `- Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A.B.H.

1
Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A. Cook Problem

<a0c39ee6-9703-4a01-b415-fdf32cbd302cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24660&group=comp.theory#24660

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:20:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A.
Cook Problem
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 01:20 UTC

Hi everyone,

Years ago, before he had retired, computer science Professor Stephen Cook posted an unsolved problem on his website:

https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sacook/

I believe I finished resolving that problem tonight, but I haven't had a chance to really check my work. I feel like announcing my work now, so I'm doing so. After my result, which shows that the described program-construction task is provably impossible to perform, has been fully checked and confirmed or deemed irrevocably unsalveagable (at least in the short term), I will contact the (four?) un-retired authors of the problem via email to present my result. This ought to be by tomorrow. (If it's wrong I'll retract it tomorrow.)

I am not going to seek the $100 prize, but I will be seeking confirmation of the result, so that I can add it to my CS resume. Again, although I'm fairly sure I got it right, it was basically a, "OK I solved it I'm going to stop thinking about it moment" this evening, so I really haven't even reviewed it for accuracy even once. As I said, I should know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Please wish me luck as I continue my career-advancement efforts!

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

P. S. I actually did just look over the problem again briefly once after reading this post to make sure it looked right and it did look right; I'll check it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Re: Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A. Cook Problem

<a4ff249e-ba19-4bea-be12-b77d57dd1ed0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24662&group=comp.theory#24662

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:45:38 -0800 (PST)
Cook Problem
From: wyni...@gmail.com (wij)
 by: wij - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 01:45 UTC

On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 09:20:17 UTC+8, B.H. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Years ago, before he had retired, computer science Professor Stephen Cook posted an unsolved problem on his website:
>
> https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sacook/
>
> I believe I finished resolving that problem tonight, but I haven't had a chance to really check my work. I feel like announcing my work now, so I'm doing so. After my result, which shows that the described program-construction task is provably impossible to perform, has been fully checked and confirmed or deemed irrevocably unsalveagable (at least in the short term), I will contact the (four?) un-retired authors of the problem via email to present my result. This ought to be by tomorrow. (If it's wrong I'll retract it tomorrow.)
>
> I am not going to seek the $100 prize, but I will be seeking confirmation of the result, so that I can add it to my CS resume. Again, although I'm fairly sure I got it right, it was basically a, "OK I solved it I'm going to stop thinking about it moment" this evening, so I really haven't even reviewed it for accuracy even once. As I said, I should know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest.
>
> Please wish me luck as I continue my career-advancement efforts!
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
>
> P. S. I actually did just look over the problem again briefly once after reading this post to make sure it looked right and it did look right; I'll check it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Wish you luck.

(I do not know what is.)

Re: Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A. Cook Problem

<2a72caca-75ce-40e7-b483-eb02f9d2e2b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24693&group=comp.theory#24693

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:04:02 -0800 (PST)
Cook Problem
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 22:04 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Years ago, before he had retired, computer science Professor Stephen Cook posted an unsolved problem on his website:
>
> https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sacook/
>
> I believe I finished resolving that problem tonight, but I haven't had a chance to really check my work. I feel like announcing my work now, so I'm doing so. After my result, which shows that the described program-construction task is provably impossible to perform, has been fully checked and confirmed or deemed irrevocably unsalveagable (at least in the short term), I will contact the (four?) un-retired authors of the problem via email to present my result. This ought to be by tomorrow. (If it's wrong I'll retract it tomorrow.)
>
> I am not going to seek the $100 prize, but I will be seeking confirmation of the result, so that I can add it to my CS resume. Again, although I'm fairly sure I got it right, it was basically a, "OK I solved it I'm going to stop thinking about it moment" this evening, so I really haven't even reviewed it for accuracy even once. As I said, I should know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest.
>
> Please wish me luck as I continue my career-advancement efforts!
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
>
> P. S. I actually did just look over the problem again briefly once after reading this post to make sure it looked right and it did look right; I'll check it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Update: The proof looks good, but the finished write-up will probably not be fully checked until tomorrow or maybe Monday. I'll post an update when I've sent the email.

-Philip

Re: Announcement Regarding a Tenative Solution to the $100 Stephen A. Cook Problem

<5020ac45-0f00-4db7-be56-516f1864fda7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24773&group=comp.theory#24773

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:34:54 -0800 (PST)
Cook Problem
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:34 UTC

On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 5:04:03 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Years ago, before he had retired, computer science Professor Stephen Cook posted an unsolved problem on his website:
> >
> > https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sacook/
> >
> > I believe I finished resolving that problem tonight, but I haven't had a chance to really check my work. I feel like announcing my work now, so I'm doing so. After my result, which shows that the described program-construction task is provably impossible to perform, has been fully checked and confirmed or deemed irrevocably unsalveagable (at least in the short term), I will contact the (four?) un-retired authors of the problem via email to present my result. This ought to be by tomorrow. (If it's wrong I'll retract it tomorrow.)
> >
> > I am not going to seek the $100 prize, but I will be seeking confirmation of the result, so that I can add it to my CS resume. Again, although I'm fairly sure I got it right, it was basically a, "OK I solved it I'm going to stop thinking about it moment" this evening, so I really haven't even reviewed it for accuracy even once. As I said, I should know for sure by tomorrow evening at the latest.
> >
> > Please wish me luck as I continue my career-advancement efforts!
> >
> > -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
> >
> > P. S. I actually did just look over the problem again briefly once after reading this post to make sure it looked right and it did look right; I'll check it more thoroughly tomorrow.
> Update: The proof looks good, but the finished write-up will probably not be fully checked until tomorrow or maybe Monday. I'll post an update when I've sent the email.
>
> -Philip

Another Update:

I have sent an email containing the solution to 3 of the 5 listed CS people; 3 of them are still professors apparently.

I will hope to hear back regarding an evaluation of my proof within 2-3 weeks. I might post my solution to this problem on the internet at some point; the proof isn't extremely valuable or sensitive, and thus very likely doesn't need to be kept a secret.

-Philip