<Skyhook> Where is 'bavaria' proper? I thought it was austria. -- Seen on #Linux

devel / comp.theory / Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

SubjectAuthor
* The Money Part [Civic Networking]Jeffrey Rubard
`* The Money Part [Civic Networking]B.H.
 `* The Money Part [Civic Networking]Jeffrey Rubard
  `* The Money Part [Civic Networking]B.H.
   `* The Money Part [Civic Networking]Jeffrey Rubard
    `* The Money Part [Civic Networking]B.H.
     `- The Money Part [Civic Networking]Jeffrey Rubard

1
Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<f7c52d41-b22d-47cf-8139-da4e8f75b179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24859&group=comp.theory#24859

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:40:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:40 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2010 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-7, Big Red Jeff Rubard wrote:
> Civic Networking
> Jeff Rubard
>
> In recent comments, I was talking to Union Street‘s Andrew about a
> longtime hobby-horse of mine, “theoretical republicanism”.. A lot of
> signification is based on composing a view of the world that you want
> people to find compelling, maybe even over and above your proper
> purchase on them as a political subject: this has its place, but if
> equalitarian political structures are to work there has to be a
> certain structural equalitarianism in the field of discourse. It seems
> to me that one way this can come about is through what we might call
> “civic networking”: mapping signification onto a geographical plat.
> Here in Oregon we have a blog aggregator, ORBlogs, that tracks a wide
> variety of state blogs: maybe it’s not exactly the best that is
> thought and said in the world, but it gives an accurate impression of
> the “lay of the land” for this state, which is a real sociopolitical
> entity.
> Perhaps this sort of mapping could be intentionally cultivated at
> local levels: although you don’t always want your neighbors to know
> exactly what you’re up to, there are real political relations that
> computer-mediated communication could enable rather than suppress and
> a civic culture of “connectivity” might be worth having as a way to
> flesh out the real potentials of the place where you live. I don’t
> know how this would be done: I’m not sure “mini-Minitels” for cities
> would be a worthwhile investment as against independent initiatives,
> but there are limits to how much market-directed recomposition of
> interests and social formations would be desirable. You live
> somewhere, and your maxims and opinions find their role within that
> social space; maybe it’s important to have a way to have a relatively
> accurate understanding of what such role you are playing.

2021 Update: ?

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<d5d42fcd-a04b-4e4d-9e80-fa7ff2cfc3f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24950&group=comp.theory#24950

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 19:19:41 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:19 UTC

On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 5:40:57 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2010 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-7, Big Red Jeff Rubard wrote:
> > Civic Networking
> > Jeff Rubard
> >
> > In recent comments, I was talking to Union Street‘s Andrew about a
> > longtime hobby-horse of mine, “theoretical republicanism”. A lot of
> > signification is based on composing a view of the world that you want
> > people to find compelling, maybe even over and above your proper
> > purchase on them as a political subject: this has its place, but if
> > equalitarian political structures are to work there has to be a
> > certain structural equalitarianism in the field of discourse. It seems
> > to me that one way this can come about is through what we might call
> > “civic networking”: mapping signification onto a geographical plat.
> > Here in Oregon we have a blog aggregator, ORBlogs, that tracks a wide
> > variety of state blogs: maybe it’s not exactly the best that is
> > thought and said in the world, but it gives an accurate impression of
> > the “lay of the land” for this state, which is a real sociopolitical
> > entity.
> > Perhaps this sort of mapping could be intentionally cultivated at
> > local levels: although you don’t always want your neighbors to know
> > exactly what you’re up to, there are real political relations that
> > computer-mediated communication could enable rather than suppress and
> > a civic culture of “connectivity” might be worth having as a way to
> > flesh out the real potentials of the place where you live. I don’t
> > know how this would be done: I’m not sure “mini-Minitels” for cities
> > would be a worthwhile investment as against independent initiatives,
> > but there are limits to how much market-directed recomposition of
> > interests and social formations would be desirable. You live
> > somewhere, and your maxims and opinions find their role within that
> > social space; maybe it’s important to have a way to have a relatively
> > accurate understanding of what such role you are playing.
> 2021 Update: ?

Would you consider defining your terms a little more clearly?

-Philip

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<0d61cbdd-eca0-4a93-85fd-d2db63f79c15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25780&group=comp.theory#25780

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 14:23:18 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 22:23 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 7:19:42 PM UTC-8, B.H. wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 5:40:57 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> > On Monday, August 9, 2010 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-7, Big Red Jeff Rubard wrote:
> > > Civic Networking
> > > Jeff Rubard
> > >
> > > In recent comments, I was talking to Union Street‘s Andrew about a
> > > longtime hobby-horse of mine, “theoretical republicanism”. A lot of
> > > signification is based on composing a view of the world that you want
> > > people to find compelling, maybe even over and above your proper
> > > purchase on them as a political subject: this has its place, but if
> > > equalitarian political structures are to work there has to be a
> > > certain structural equalitarianism in the field of discourse. It seems
> > > to me that one way this can come about is through what we might call
> > > “civic networking”: mapping signification onto a geographical plat.
> > > Here in Oregon we have a blog aggregator, ORBlogs, that tracks a wide
> > > variety of state blogs: maybe it’s not exactly the best that is
> > > thought and said in the world, but it gives an accurate impression of
> > > the “lay of the land” for this state, which is a real sociopolitical
> > > entity.
> > > Perhaps this sort of mapping could be intentionally cultivated at
> > > local levels: although you don’t always want your neighbors to know
> > > exactly what you’re up to, there are real political relations that
> > > computer-mediated communication could enable rather than suppress and
> > > a civic culture of “connectivity” might be worth having as a way to
> > > flesh out the real potentials of the place where you live. I don’t
> > > know how this would be done: I’m not sure “mini-Minitels” for cities
> > > would be a worthwhile investment as against independent initiatives,
> > > but there are limits to how much market-directed recomposition of
> > > interests and social formations would be desirable. You live
> > > somewhere, and your maxims and opinions find their role within that
> > > social space; maybe it’s important to have a way to have a relatively
> > > accurate understanding of what such role you are playing.
> > 2021 Update: ?
> Would you consider defining your terms a little more clearly?
>
> -Philip

2022 Update: There's a really bad data-mining scam they run in the
Portland metro area since the '90s and it lasted a long time this
time. Now it's over.

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<cbc233de-fce6-43b6-bf2a-2573b8a04323n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25782&group=comp.theory#25782

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:31:07 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 01:31 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 5:23:19 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 7:19:42 PM UTC-8, B.H. wrote:

> > > 2021 Update: ?
> > Would you consider defining your terms a little more clearly?
> >
> > -Philip
> 2022 Update: There's a really bad data-mining scam they run in the
> Portland metro area since the '90s and it lasted a long time this
> time. Now it's over.

Oh, you said it was some philosophically inspired computer science idea. Now you are saying it is a scam. Oh well, whatever.

-Philip

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<df77a771-ab1d-4e68-90a6-a7cb83fbe53bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25826&group=comp.theory#25826

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:45:18 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:45 UTC

On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-8, B.H. wrote:
> On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 5:23:19 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Would you consider defining your terms a little more clearly?
> > >
> > > -Philip
> > 2022 Update: There's a really bad data-mining scam they run in the
> > Portland metro area since the '90s and it lasted a long time this
> > time. Now it's over.
> Oh, you said it was some philosophically inspired computer science idea. Now you are saying it is a scam. Oh well, whatever.
>
> -Philip

Is that an order, or a cognitive inadequacy?

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<96b442f0-3550-406d-a094-015e0c463d9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25831&group=comp.theory#25831

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 05:50:40 -0800 (PST)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 13:50 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 9:45:20 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Friday, January 21, 2022 at 5:31:08 PM UTC-8, B.H. wrote:

> > > 2022 Update: There's a really bad data-mining scam they run in the
> > > Portland metro area since the '90s and it lasted a long time this
> > > time. Now it's over.
> > Oh, you said it was some philosophically inspired computer science idea.. Now you are saying it is a scam. Oh well, whatever.
> >
> > -Philip
> Is that an order, or a cognitive inadequacy?

Um, neither? If you are trying to accuse a very brilliant disabled computer scientist and mathematician (me) of being "cognitively inadequate," in order that you might harass, discriminate against, or smear me, I would advise you that you would be less unwise to say such things about Stephen Hawking if he were still alive.

-Philip

Re: The Money Part [Civic Networking]

<4443762b-20a3-438a-be43-cce93a0e3c2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=26156&group=comp.theory#26156

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:33 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:50:41 AM UTC-8, B.H. wrote:
> On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 9:45:20 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:

> > > Oh, you said it was some philosophically inspired computer science idea. Now you are saying it is a scam. Oh well, whatever.
> > >
> > > -Philip
> > Is that an order, or a cognitive inadequacy?
> Um, neither? If you are trying to accuse a very brilliant disabled computer scientist and mathematician (me) of being "cognitively inadequate," in order that you might harass, discriminate against, or smear me, I would advise you that you would be less unwise to say such things about Stephen Hawking if he were still alive.
>
> -Philip

Oh, man. I used to talk like that, too. I even *meant it*. But really...