The nation that controls magnetism controls the universe. -- Chester Gould/Dick Tracy

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
+* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan Browne
|+- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan
|`* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
| +* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?nospam
| |`* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
| | `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan Browne
| |  `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
| |   `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan Browne
| |    `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
| |     +- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan Browne
| |     `- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?nospam
| +- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan
| `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Alan Browne
|  `- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
`* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wade Garrett
 +* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
 |`* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wade Garrett
 | `- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
 `* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?sms
  +* Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?nospam
  |`- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J
  `- Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?Wally J

1
Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uae8dr$19klq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2461&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2461

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:49:16 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:49 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:24:39 -0700, sms
> <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 8/2/2023 9:56 AM, micky wrote:
>>> In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 2 Aug 2023 09:31:25 -0700, sms
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> I might have to do that. How do I do that?
>>
>>See <https://techwiser.com/extract-apk-android/>
>
> Thanks. I will need this for my next phone, since the two loud ringtone
> apps that I like are no longer in the appstore, afaict. They redid the
> appstore format a few months ago and I don't like it anymore.

Steve needs to add this to his list of all the things broken in iOS.

How to move app from old phone to new phone?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/F49T9WQSh-E

Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.

In most cases it's _impossible_ to bring over to the new iOS device the
same app version that you had on the old iOS device - while that same task
is trivial on Android by all the various methods described in this thread.

The iPhone is essentially broken when it comes to reinstalling apps that
are no longer on the app store (or whose version you like isn't there).

Furthermore, in addition to the half dozen methods already noted to
re-install free apps on _any_ Android phone that are on one phone...
the iOS IPAs are all locked by Apple to one device alone (family account).

Hence it's imposissible to do with iOS what is trivial to do with Android.

For example, a simple method to SAVE EVERY APK automatically on Android is
to use the Aurora front end to the Google Play Store to get those apps.
https://auroraoss.com/

That automatically saves the FULL INSTALLER onto your sd card for you.
And it gets them from the official Google Play Store (exact same app).

Just like any YouTube player will get the exact same videos from youTube.
http://newpipe.net

It's the same app.
From the same place.

The MAIN DIFFERENCE is that the filter is vastly better - which is yet
another thing which is impossible to do on iOS - but trivial on Android.

Another key difference is you can automaticalldy SAVE EVERY APK at the time
you install it (actually, technically, you don't delete what was saved).

All this is impossible on the brain-dead Apple platforms which Steve should
be listing in his description becuase reinstalling apps is important.

Every app you install using the Aurora front end to the Google Play Store
app, is saved wherever you set it to save it (internal or external memory).

When you get a new phone, you pop out the sdcard temporarily and put it
into the new phone and tap onto each of the previously saved full APKs.

Then you can return the sdcard to the original phone like it was before.
Or leave the sdcard in the new phone (another thing iPhones just can't do).

Steve should add that capability to re-install all the original apps to his
comparison between Android and iOS since only Android autosaves the APK.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<YmzyM.411836$TPw2.335652@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2463&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2463

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 16:53:12 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 20:53 UTC

On 2023-08-02 14:49, Wally J wrote:

> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.

Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).

When I bought my last iPhone I had zero care about what app versions I
was bringing along.

.. backed up my old iPhone.
.. bought my new iPhone
.. retrieved all of my data from backup
.. downloaded and installed the apps I need and want.

No looking back and silly ass edge cases as you present are really not
important for the vast majority of smartphone users, Apple or other.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaegan$930l$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2464&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2464

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:03:19 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 21:03 UTC

On 2023-08-02 13:53, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-08-02 14:49, Wally J wrote:
>
>> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
>> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.
>
> Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).
>
> When I bought my last iPhone I had zero care about what app versions I
> was bringing along.

Precisely.

> . backed up my old iPhone.
> . bought my new iPhone
> . retrieved all of my data from backup
> . downloaded and installed the apps I need and want.

Or if you can hang on to the old phone until after you get the new, just
bring the old one close to the new one...

....and you're done!

> No looking back and silly ass edge cases as you present are really not
> important for the vast majority of smartphone users, Apple or other.

Precisely.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaekf8$a5hm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2466&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2466

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:14:00 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:14 UTC

On 8/2/23 2:49 PM, Wally J wrote:
> [...]
> you install it (actually, technically, you don't delete what was saved).
>
> All this is impossible on the brain-dead Apple platforms which Steve should
> be listing in his description becuase reinstalling apps is important.
>
> Every app you install using the Aurora front end to the Google Play Store
> app, is saved wherever you set it to save it (internal or external memory).
>
> When you get a new phone, you pop out the sdcard temporarily and put it
> into the new phone and tap onto each of the previously saved full APKs.
>
> Then you can return the sdcard to the original phone like it was before.
> Or leave the sdcard in the new phone (another thing iPhones just can't do).
>
> Steve should add that capability to re-install all the original apps to his
> comparison between Android and iOS since only Android autosaves the APK.

So you don't like Apple--- fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)

--
You are entitled to your own views. You are not entitled to your own facts.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uael80$1aq1d$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2467&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2467

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:28:02 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:28 UTC

Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote

>> Steve should add that capability to re-install all the original apps to his
>> comparison between Android and iOS since only Android autosaves the APK.
>
> So you don't like Apple--- fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Apple zealots think it's about "liking" Apple because that's how you think.

You're a religious zealot who, for example, is a Muslim so you claim that
anyone who says the truth about Mohammad(1) must not "like" your prophet.

You're so religiously wedded to Islam that you think anyone who ever tells
the truth must be an extreme danger to you - which is _why_ nospam lied.

The truth is always dangerous to people who own purely religious beliefs.

> What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)

What I said was the truth about Apple.
Steve also said the truth.

On the other hand, nospam lied.
Why?

For you religious zealots, the truth is extremely dangerous.
*You iZealots _hate_ the truth about Apple products*

Worse... you hate anyone bearing the truth.
You'll do anything in the world to make the truth about Apple just go away.

Because Apple zealots fear the truth more than anything else in the world.
--
(1) I spelled it wrongly so that more religious kooks don't complain.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2468

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:41:09 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:41 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
>> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.
>
> Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).

Notice I simply tell the truth about Apple products, which you feel is such
a dire threat to your imaginary belief system that you resort to insults.
> When I bought my last iPhone I had zero care about what app versions I
> was bringing along.

I realize the truth is the most dangerous thing to your belief systems.

Fact is, the original thread is here where the OP wants to do what EVERYONE
wants to do (well, everyone who is not on an iPhone because what you want
is impossible to do with iOS due to the restrictions of the walled garden).

How to move app from old phone to new phone?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/F49T9WQSh-E

At some point, Steve explained that with iOS you can't do most of the
things that you'd want to do - and that's where nospam lied saying he can.

> . backed up my old iPhone.

This is the part that must be manually done or you're _dead_ on iOS.
With Android, there is _never_ a need to back up the apps.
They're already automatically backed up for you.
By default.

And... better yet... you can use them on _any_ Android phone in the world.
With the Apple walled garden, you can only use them on _your_ Apple ID.

> . bought my new iPhone
> . retrieved all of my data from backup

When you say data, bear in mind we're talking about the apps themselves.
They need to go EXACTLY in the same spot they were in the old phone.

Automatically...
The same folders from the old phone are created on the new phone.

Automatically...
The same location of folders goes to the same spots on the new phone.

Automatically...
Same apps go into in the same location inside the folders.

This, of course, is trivial on Android but _impossible_ to do with iOS.

> . downloaded and installed the apps I need and want.

Notice you can't do that if the app no longer exists on the app store.
Which was Steve's point.

Which is what nospam lied about.
Because you religious zealots _hate_ the truth about Apple products.

The problem is that the OP said that some of the apps he wanted are no
longer on the app store. What do you do with iOS when that happens?

> No looking back and silly ass edge cases as you present are really not
> important for the vast majority of smartphone users, Apple or other.

Notice that your claim that what everyone else does is "not needed" and
"not wanted" only on iOS (because Apple can't do the simplest of things).

It's all due to the walled garden.

Yes. The walled garden is why you can't do anything useful on iOS.
The same walled garden that you deny existing, by the way.

In summary, Steve needs to add more information about how everything
trivial to do with moving from one phone to another is impossible on iOS.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<020820231850386491%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2470&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2470

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:50:38 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:50 UTC

In article <uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> > . backed up my old iPhone.
>
> This is the part that must be manually done or you're _dead_ on iOS.

nope. it's automatic.

> With Android, there is _never_ a need to back up the apps.

then why have you described how you back up apps to sd cards?

> They're already automatically backed up for you.

so there is a need, and no, they're not automatically backed up.

a purchase list is maintained, but that's it.

it's possible for users to do additional things, just as it is on ios.

> And... better yet... you can use them on _any_ Android phone in the world.
> With the Apple walled garden, you can only use them on _your_ Apple ID.

aka piracy.

> > . bought my new iPhone
> > . retrieved all of my data from backup
>
> When you say data, bear in mind we're talking about the apps themselves.

no, but regardless, restoring user data, settings, etc., is *very*
important, if not the most important part.

> They need to go EXACTLY in the same spot they were in the old phone.

no they don't, nor does that even make any sense.

> > . downloaded and installed the apps I need and want.
>
> Notice you can't do that if the app no longer exists on the app store.

wrong.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaemu0$acrk$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2471&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2471

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:55:59 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:55 UTC

On 2023-08-02 15:41, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>>> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
>>> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.
>>
>> Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).
>
> Notice I simply tell the truth about Apple products, which you feel is such
> a dire threat to your imaginary belief system that you resort to insults.

You think calling you "irrelevant" is an insult?

LOL!

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaeok3$1b3r4$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2474&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2474

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:25:41 -0500
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 23:25 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

>> This is the part that must be manually done or you're _dead_ on iOS.
>
> nope. it's automatic.

Why do you brazenly lie when even David Empson said you were a liar.
*How do I redownload and reinstall an older version of iOS app into my iPhone 4S?*
By Ant, Oct 8, 2018
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/56nEgAZIjGk/m/8YwHkJkCAwAJ>

The fact remains that the walled garden, which Alan Browne insists doesn't
exist, is why you can't do even the simplest of things with iOS.

Android:
a. Natively backs up the APK to the phone for _every_ app automatically.
b. Backs up the APK for every app _version_ automatically (off by default).
c. Re-installs free APKs to _any_ phone in the world (not just your ID!).
d. If you have sdslots, you can pop it out of phone 1 & put it in phone 2.
e. You can then re-install every app simply by tapping on the sdcard APK.
f. Everything goes in the EXACT folder and exact position as it was before.
g. You can list all apps & their URLs to an editable text file if desired.

All of that is _impossible_ to do on iOS, even as it's what everyone does.

What is nospam's excuse for why the walled garden can't do simple things?
He lies.

What is Alan Brown's excuse for why the walled garden is so restrictive?
He said "nobody wants it" and it's "not needed".

Apparently iOS is a toy operating system.
Simple things aren't needed with iOS.

Simple things everyone else does every day all day.
All of which are simply impossible on iOS.

Because of the walled garden.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<hjCyM.456122$GMN3.101997@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2478&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2478

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 20:14:05 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 00:14 UTC

On 2023-08-02 19:25, Wally J wrote:

> He said "nobody wants it" and it's "not needed".

I did not say that. I said that is the case for most people. Face it,
an iPhone or Android or any other smartphone is a convenient appliance.
Does many useful, helpful and even amazing things for all of us - but
it's not a thing most people want to waste a lot of time on the "care"
of it.

The few who do can do whatever they like and if that suits them best in
Android or iPhone or elsewhere, then so be it.

Anyway, it's 2 August and you've blown your monthly attention budget
already.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<_kCyM.456123$GMN3.195475@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2479&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2479

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 20:15:54 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 00:15 UTC

On 2023-08-02 18:41, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>>> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
>>> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.
>>
>> Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).
>
> Notice I simply tell the truth about Apple products, which you feel is such
> a dire threat to your imaginary belief system that you resort to insults.

Why don't you take, say, 6 weeks off of this and consult a mental health
professional. Bring along copies of your posts here (in full and
unredacted).

Let him advise you on your mental health status ... and if he prescribes
drugs, it's something to take seriously.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uagaed$pcgl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2480&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2480

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:35:09 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 13:35 UTC

On 8/2/23 6:28 PM, Wally J wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote
>
>>> Steve should add that capability to re-install all the original apps to his
>>> comparison between Android and iOS since only Android autosaves the APK.
>>
>> So you don't like Apple--- fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.
>
> Apple zealots think it's about "liking" Apple because that's how you think.
>
> You're a religious zealot who, for example, is a Muslim so you claim that
> anyone who says the truth about Mohammad(1) must not "like" your prophet.
>
> You're so religiously wedded to Islam that you think anyone who ever tells
> the truth must be an extreme danger to you - which is _why_ nospam lied.
>
> The truth is always dangerous to people who own purely religious beliefs.
>
>> What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)
>
> What I said was the truth about Apple.
> Steve also said the truth.
>
> On the other hand, nospam lied.
> Why?
>
> For you religious zealots, the truth is extremely dangerous.
> *You iZealots _hate_ the truth about Apple products*
>
> Worse... you hate anyone bearing the truth.
> You'll do anything in the world to make the truth about Apple just go away.
>
> Because Apple zealots fear the truth more than anything else in the world.

Most religions contend: We are right, everyone else is wrong, we are
better than you.

Sorta' sounds like your posts, eh what... ;-0

--
"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."

- Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene iii

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uagvo6$su4v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2481&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2481

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:38:44 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:38 UTC

On 8/2/2023 3:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

<snip>

> What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)

The original poster in this thread posted the inquiry only on the
Android newsgroup. Then one of our favorite trolls cross-posted it to
other groups (and removed the Android group).

On iPhone and iPad there is a way to transfer an app from an old device
to a new device if the app is no longer available on the App Store. The
iMazing app (for Windows and MacOS) lets you do the app transfer between
two iDevices, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5kXX7AIu4. Hopefully
this still works.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<030820231635117859%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2482&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2482

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:35:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 20:35 UTC

In article <uagvo6$su4v$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> On iPhone and iPad there is a way to transfer an app from an old device
> to a new device if the app is no longer available on the App Store. The
> iMazing app (for Windows and MacOS) lets you do the app transfer between
> two iDevices,

that's one method, except it doesn't work the way you think it does.

there are also several other options.

once again you are talking about things you do not understand.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uai4ce$1kqfl$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2483&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2483

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:04:48 -0400
References: <51tjcip74rrguo332b7l3590o6bqjdljt1@4ax.com> <kiuj4qFsak4U1@mid.individual.net> <uae0cs$5jeu$1@dont-email.me> <fk2lci9sp7fg1dvfje8u7pl1ecqfq35e40@4ax.com> <uae3gm$6cnq$1@dont-email.me> <qd5lcitgkqmp2rir15epnldopbj2fsa6gt@4ax.com> <uae8dr$19klq$1@paganini.bofh.team> <YmzyM.411836$TPw2.335652@fx17.iad> <uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team> <020820231850386491%nospam@nospam.invalid> <uaeok3$1b3r4$1@paganini.bofh.team> <hjCyM.456122$GMN3.101997@fx16.iad>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:04 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> He said "nobody wants it" and it's "not needed".
>
> I did not say that. I said that is the case for most people. Face it,
> an iPhone or Android or any other smartphone is a convenient appliance.

Please don't disagree with the truth about Apple.

All I'm saying is the truth about the iPhone, which, for the TOPIC of
moving an app from one phone to another, is completely brain dead for iOS.

> Does many useful, helpful and even amazing things for all of us - but
> it's not a thing most people want to waste a lot of time on the "care"
> of it.

What you are claiming is that the truth about Apple doesn't apply to you.

The truth is that iOS is brain dead when it comes to moving apps.

That you don't find them brain dead simply means you use them as toys.
And that's fine.

But I listed common things EVERYONE does (except on iOS) for moving apps.

> The few who do can do whatever they like and if that suits them best in
> Android or iPhone or elsewhere, then so be it.

You can repeat that you "like" that iOS can't do anything useful that
EVERYONE else easily does - but you can't say it's not the truth about iOS.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uai4o5$1kri1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2484&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2484

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:11:03 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:11 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

> Let him advise you on your mental health status ... and if he prescribes
> drugs, it's something to take seriously.

What's revealing is the iKooks are so deathly afraid of the truth about iOS
that they claim anyone telling the truth about iOS is mentally ill.

On the topic of moving apps, these religious zealots _hate_ that iOS is
completely brain dead due to the walled garden - which is simply the truth.
(I gave them a list of Android's capabilities)

They have no defense to the truth other than ad hominem childish insults.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uai589$1ksq7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2485&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2485

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:19:40 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:19 UTC

Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote

> Most religions contend: We are right, everyone else is wrong, we are
> better than you.
>
> Sorta' sounds like your posts, eh what.

What's _different_ is my posts contain facts.
Facts which don't fit into your imaginary religious belief system.

The facts are that Android...
a. Natively backs up the APK to the phone for _every_ app automatically.
b. Backs up the APK for every app _version_ automatically (off by default).
c. Re-installs free APKs to _any_ phone in the world (not just your ID!).
d. If you have sdslots, you can pop it out of phone 1 & put it in phone 2.
e. You can then re-install every app simply by tapping on the sdcard APK.
f. Everything goes in the EXACT folder and exact position as it was before.
g. You can list all apps & their URLs to an editable text file if desired.
h. You can mail that list to anyone and they can install the same apps.
i. Simply by tapping on the links because the output is a normal HTML file.
j. If you lost an app you can get it back even if it's not on the appstore.
etc.

All of that is _impossible_ to do on iOS, even as everyone else can do it.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uai5d1$1kt74$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2486&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2486

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:22:12 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:22 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote

> On iPhone and iPad there is a way to transfer an app from an old device
> to a new device if the app is no longer available on the App Store. The
> iMazing app (for Windows and MacOS) lets you do the app transfer between
> two iDevices, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5kXX7AIu4. Hopefully
> this still works.

Wrong. It has to be registered to your Apple ID (or family plan).
That's NOT the same thing as what Android does. Not even close.

Android _automatically_ saves the APK for _every_ app ever installed.
And that APK can be used on _any_ Android phone on the planet.

Even the iMazing clusterfuck can't come close to doing that, Steve.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uai5ig$1ktkv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2487&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2487

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:25:07 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:25 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

> once again you are talking about things you do not understand.

What you hate, nospam, is that iOS is brain dead in terms of app transfer.

The facts are that Android...
a. Natively backs up the APK to the phone for _every_ app automatically.
b. Backs up the APK for every app _version_ automatically (off by default).
c. Re-installs free APKs to _any_ phone in the world (not just your ID!).
d. If you have sdslots, you can pop it out of phone 1 & put it in phone 2.
e. You can then re-install every app simply by tapping on the sdcard APK.
f. Everything goes in the EXACT folder and exact position as it was before.
g. You can list all apps & their URLs to an editable text file if desired.
h. You can mail that list to anyone and they can install the same apps.
i. Simply by tapping on the links because the output is a normal HTML file.
etc.

All of that is _impossible_ to do on iOS, even as Android easily does it.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<fz7zM.69541$zW7d.3326@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2488&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2488

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 10:03:55 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:03 UTC

On 2023-08-04 02:04, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>>> He said "nobody wants it" and it's "not needed".
>>
>> I did not say that. I said that is the case for most people. Face it,
>> an iPhone or Android or any other smartphone is a convenient appliance.
>
> Please don't disagree with the truth about Apple.
>
> All I'm saying is the truth about the iPhone, which, for the TOPIC of
> moving an app from one phone to another, is completely brain dead for iOS.

I don't accept a model where an app that is potentially compromised
("infected") on one device be blindly copied to another.

Further, the use case you promote is (as you well know) a cherry picked
edge case that you run up the flagpole, but is in reality nothing most
people do on Android.

A real life case in point, my SO's son recently bought a new Android
phone and sat there _downloading_ new copies of his various apps from
Google Play and some other site. Then he sent his data over from his
old phone. He is not a computer whiz of any kind and represents the
more common smartphone user: just wants a smartphone that does x as
simply and reliably as possible.

I buy a new iPhone every 5 years (possibly 6 or more with the current
phone doing so well), so I really prefer a clean start in everything (as
I do with my computers whether at home or at work).

But you do you, which appears to be cherry picking all day long.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaj1nc$1ng5s$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2489&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2489

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 10:25:34 -0400
References: <51tjcip74rrguo332b7l3590o6bqjdljt1@4ax.com> <kiuj4qFsak4U1@mid.individual.net> <uae0cs$5jeu$1@dont-email.me> <fk2lci9sp7fg1dvfje8u7pl1ecqfq35e40@4ax.com> <uae3gm$6cnq$1@dont-email.me> <qd5lcitgkqmp2rir15epnldopbj2fsa6gt@4ax.com> <uae8dr$19klq$1@paganini.bofh.team> <YmzyM.411836$TPw2.335652@fx17.iad> <uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team> <020820231850386491%nospam@nospam.invalid> <uaeok3$1b3r4$1@paganini.bofh.team> <hjCyM.456122$GMN3.101997@fx16.iad> <uai4ce$1kqfl$1@paganini.bofh.team> <fz7zM.69541$zW7d.3326@fx43.iad>
 by: Wally J - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:25 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> All I'm saying is the truth about the iPhone, which, for the TOPIC of
>> moving an app from one phone to another, is completely brain dead for iOS.
>
> I don't accept a model where an app that is potentially compromised
> ("infected") on one device be blindly copied to another.

I get it that you're claiming "malware" on Android (which is easily
avoided), but at the same time you forget the truth that your beloved
iPhone has twice as many zero-day zero-click holes & a whopping ten times
as many actual exploits.

Which would you rather have?
a. The least secure phone OS in history - which is exploited the most, or,
b. A secure OS that you have the choice of which apps you wish to install.

Pick one.

> Further, the use case you promote is (as you well know) a cherry picked
> edge case that you run up the flagpole, but is in reality nothing most
> people do on Android.

It's not an edge case to want to move apps from one phone to another.

> A real life case in point, my SO's son recently bought a new Android
> phone and sat there _downloading_ new copies of his various apps from
> Google Play and some other site. Then he sent his data over from his
> old phone. He is not a computer whiz of any kind and represents the
> more common smartphone user: just wants a smartphone that does x as
> simply and reliably as possible.

Google is usually what people are using when they move their "data".

> I buy a new iPhone every 5 years (possibly 6 or more with the current
> phone doing so well), so I really prefer a clean start in everything (as
> I do with my computers whether at home or at work).

Nothing wrong with a "clean start", but how are you going to put on the new
phone the apps & versions you liked which are no longer in the app store?

> But you do you, which appears to be cherry picking all day long.

It's not cherry picking to do what every operating system _except iOS_
does, and, in fact, your argument agrees iOS is a toy operating system.

Android...
a. Natively backs up the APK to the phone for _every_ app automatically.
b. Backs up the APK for every app _version_ automatically (off by default).
c. Re-installs free APKs to _any_ phone in the world (not just your ID!).
d. If you have sdslots, you can pop it out of phone 1 & put it in phone 2.
e. You can then re-install every app simply by tapping on the sdcard APK.
f. Everything goes in the EXACT folder and exact position as it was before.
g. You can list all apps & their URLs to an editable text file if desired.
h. You can mail that list to anyone and they can install the same apps.
i. Simply by tapping on the links because the output is a normal HTML file.

iOS can't.

Your defense is "nobody wants that" and "it's not needed" to that truth.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<1qazM.427075$mPI2.137426@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2490&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2490

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:18:53 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:18 UTC

On 2023-08-04 10:25, Wally J wrote:
>> blindly copied to another.
> I get it that you're claiming "malware" on Android (which is easily
> avoided), but at the same time you forget the truth that your beloved
> iPhone has twice as many zero-day zero-click holes & a whopping ten times
> as many actual exploits.

Yeah - keep exaggerating the facts. It's pretty much all you have.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<040820231757515503%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2491

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 17:57:51 -0400
References: <51tjcip74rrguo332b7l3590o6bqjdljt1@4ax.com> <kiuj4qFsak4U1@mid.individual.net> <uae0cs$5jeu$1@dont-email.me> <fk2lci9sp7fg1dvfje8u7pl1ecqfq35e40@4ax.com> <uae3gm$6cnq$1@dont-email.me> <qd5lcitgkqmp2rir15epnldopbj2fsa6gt@4ax.com> <uae8dr$19klq$1@paganini.bofh.team> <YmzyM.411836$TPw2.335652@fx17.iad> <uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team> <020820231850386491%nospam@nospam.invalid> <uaeok3$1b3r4$1@paganini.bofh.team> <hjCyM.456122$GMN3.101997@fx16.iad> <uai4ce$1kqfl$1@paganini.bofh.team> <fz7zM.69541$zW7d.3326@fx43.iad> <uaj1nc$1ng5s$1@paganini.bofh.team>
 by: nospam - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 21:57 UTC

In article <uaj1nc$1ng5s$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> > Further, the use case you promote is (as you well know) a cherry picked
> > edge case that you run up the flagpole, but is in reality nothing most
> > people do on Android.
>
> It's not an edge case to want to move apps from one phone to another.

you're moving the goalposts again.

nevertheless, moving apps from an old phone to a new phone happens
automatically on ios, unless the user chooses to start anew.

> Google is usually what people are using when they move their "data".

only if the data is stored on google.

there's a lot of data that's *not* on google, and not in any cloud for
that matter.

on ios, user data is copied automatically, regardless of where it's
kept, unless the user chooses to start anew.