"Can you program?" "Well, I'm literate, if that's what you mean!"

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

SubjectAuthor
* Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Opinicus
+* Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Ralph Fox
|`* Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Opinicus
| +- Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Dennis Lee Bieber
| `- Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Ralph Fox
`- Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?Dennis Lee Bieber

1
Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<966pagt7frr0livrjalv7hf1080a9t6evl@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2491&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2491

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 09:39:30 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Tue, 25 May 2021 06:39 UTC

Using Agent 8.00/32/21272

I inadvertently did something that changed my Window layout and
couldn't figure out how to undo it. So I exited Agent and when I
restarted the program the fupped layout was staring at me again of
course.

If you go to Window > Set intial layout there are two options:
[x] Automatically save...
[ ] Save current... now

The first option is always checked. Even if I check the second one and
click on OK, the next time I come back to the page, the first one is
still checked.

What am I not understanding here? I don't want Agent *ever* to
automatically save any layout. I'm too prone to fumble-fingering to
benefit from such a luxury. Is there a setting in agent.ini that will
lock in current layout permanently?

TIA
--
Fumble-fingered Bob

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<ru8pagpd6i14hlv0tiao8fisjetk1civgm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2492&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2492

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:44:51 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 25 May 2021 07:44 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 09:39:30 +0300, Opinicus wrote:

> Using Agent 8.00/32/21272
>
> I inadvertently did something that changed my Window layout and
> couldn't figure out how to undo it. So I exited Agent and when I
> restarted the program the fupped layout was staring at me again of
> course.
>
> If you go to Window > Set intial layout there are two options:
> [x] Automatically save...
> [ ] Save current... now
>
> The first option is always checked. Even if I check the second one and
> click on OK, the next time I come back to the page, the first one is
> still checked.
>
> What am I not understanding here? I don't want Agent *ever* to
> automatically save any layout. I'm too prone to fumble-fingering to
> benefit from such a luxury. Is there a setting in agent.ini that will
> lock in current layout permanently?

The option you see checked does _not_ tell you what the current
setting is. The option you see checked _only_ tells you what the
setting would become _after_ you click "OK".

When the "Set Initial Window Layout" pop-up appears, Agent always
selects the first radio button, even when the current setting is
the second option.

I know only two ways to see what the current setting is:

1) Look at the AGENT.INI setting
[View]
BrowserLayoutMode=
This setting is described here in the help file:
Help >> Index >> .INI file >> AGENT.INI >> [View] >> BrowserLayoutMode=

2) Experiment. For example, repeat this several times with
different widths:
2.1 First change the width of one of the panes
to differing widths,
2.2 Then immediately open a new tab and look at
the width of the same pane on the new tab.
If the pane width on the new tab always equals the width you set
on the old tab, no matter what width you set, then the setting
is to automatically save.
Otherwise, the setting is not to automatically save.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

𒁾 𒊬 𒅴 𒂠 𒉡 𒈬 𒌧 𒍪 𒀀
𒀀 𒈾 𒀀𒀭 𒉆 𒁾 𒊬 𒊏 𒉌

Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<p64qag5i8ftkm6htq1oapubr4afi4apfvo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2493&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2493

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:03:39 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 25 May 2021 15:03 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 09:39:30 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> declaimed the following:

>The first option is always checked. Even if I check the second one and
>click on OK, the next time I come back to the page, the first one is
>still checked.
>
>What am I not understanding here? I don't want Agent *ever* to
>automatically save any layout. I'm too prone to fumble-fingering to
>benefit from such a luxury. Is there a setting in agent.ini that will
>lock in current layout permanently?

Those radio buttons control the state of BrowserLayoutMode in the INI
file. In a quick test, the change in state IS kept between invocations of
Agent -- but the menu entry itself defaults to "always save"... Just don't
click OK on the menu and it should retain the last saved mode on start-up.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<8v4qaghsa8imk38g8i9i0eboiccvobtdok@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2494&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2494

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:34:26 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Tue, 25 May 2021 15:34 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:44:51 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> > I don't want Agent *ever* to
> > automatically save any layout. I'm too prone to fumble-fingering to
> > benefit from such a luxury. Is there a setting in agent.ini that will
> > lock in current layout permanently?

> The option you see checked does _not_ tell you what the current
> setting is. The option you see checked _only_ tells you what the
> setting would become _after_ you click "OK".

> When the "Set Initial Window Layout" pop-up appears, Agent always
> selects the first radio button, even when the current setting is
> the second option.
8<!
Thanks for the replies. From what I understand of what you and Dennis
say, the anwer to my question ("Is there a setting in agent.ini that
will lock in current layout permanently?") is "No".

I've had this (fumble-finger) problem before and to deal with it I
created two .bat files on the DeskTop:
AgentBackUp.bat: (copy d:\Forte\Agent\*.* d:\Dropbox\Forte\Agent\ /d
/y)
AgentRestore.bat, which switches the second and third elements of
AgentRestore.bat

I run AgentBackUp.bat everytime I exit Agent if the screen layout etc
are the way I want them to be. The problem is that after messing up
the layout in my caffein-deficient state this morning, I clicked on
AgentBackUp.bat rather than AgentRestore.bat, effectively wiping out
my preferred layout.

Fortunately I also copy the contents of d:\Forte\Agent\ to
g:\Forte\Agent\ every Sunday as part of the weekly backup so I was
able to recover from that with having only to redownload a couple of
days' worth of headers.

Bob,
So many ways to FuP, so little time...

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<qj9qag999nop6fnjqo9g0rirdpjlboijpc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2495&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2495

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 12:36:39 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Tue, 25 May 2021 16:36 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 18:34:26 +0300, Opinicus
<gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid> declaimed the following:

>Thanks for the replies. From what I understand of what you and Dennis
>say, the anwer to my question ("Is there a setting in agent.ini that
>will lock in current layout permanently?") is "No".

No.. What we've said is the dialog box always reverts to the first
radio button. If you select the second radio button, [OKAY] the dialog, and
exit Agent (so the INI file is written out) it will 1) save the current
layout; 2) set the INI file value to "not save in future" (as I understand
the description.

So -- after setting the dialog box DO NOT revisit the dialog box, and
if you do, [CANCEL] from it or ensure you've picked the second option and
[OKAY]

>Fortunately I also copy the contents of d:\Forte\Agent\ to
>g:\Forte\Agent\ every Sunday as part of the weekly backup so I was
>able to recover from that with having only to redownload a couple of
>days' worth of headers.

The only thing I think you needed to restore was the INI file(s).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Windows > Set initial layout: What am I not understanding here?

<oggqagl3stijrvcncqq3e7vcl3o826kh2j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2496&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2496

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 06:44:11 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:44 UTC

On Tue, 25 May 2021 18:34:26 +0300, Opinicus wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2021 19:44:51 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>> I don't want Agent *ever* to
>>> automatically save any layout. I'm too prone to fumble-fingering to
>>> benefit from such a luxury. Is there a setting in agent.ini that will
>>> lock in current layout permanently?
>
>> The option you see checked does _not_ tell you what the current
>> setting is. The option you see checked _only_ tells you what the
>> setting would become _after_ you click "OK".
>
>> When the "Set Initial Window Layout" pop-up appears, Agent always
>> selects the first radio button, even when the current setting is
>> the second option.
> 8<!
> Thanks for the replies. From what I understand of what you and Dennis
> say, the anwer to my question ("Is there a setting in agent.ini that
> will lock in current layout permanently?") is "No".

I have not said that at all.

You _can_ lock in the current layout. The "Set Initial Window Layout"
pop-up does not show you whether the current layout is locked in or not.
I also told you how to see whether the current layout is locked in or not.

--
Kind regards
Ralph