Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot. -- Oliver Elphick

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

SubjectAuthor
* Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsBob Gezelter
+* Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsSingle Stage to Orbit
|`- Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chipschris
`* Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsArne Vajhøj
 `* Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsJohn Dallman
  +- Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsArne Vajhøj
  `- Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU ChipsSingle Stage to Orbit

1
Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<2f77eb29-cf4b-488e-9e57-041ce566f6b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25058&group=comp.os.vms#25058

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips
From: gezel...@rlgsc.com (Bob Gezelter)
 by: Bob Gezelter - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 00:16 UTC

Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of multij-core CPUs:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/

It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<adf6b01eb6eafd09ced46a33cce60e3f251346c3.camel@munted.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25060&group=comp.os.vms#25060

From: alex.bu...@munted.eu (Single Stage to Orbit)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:47:34 +0100
 by: Single Stage to Orbi - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:47 UTC

On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 17:16 -0700, Bob Gezelter wrote:
> Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of
> multij-core CPUs:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/
>
> It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

I'd like to see OpenVMS running on AMD as well.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<th1c3i$1a6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25061&group=comp.os.vms#25061

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:44:50 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:44 UTC

On 9/27/2022 8:16 PM, Bob Gezelter wrote:
> Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of multij-core CPUs:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/
>
> It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.

What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.

Arne

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<memo.20220928125548.2004I@jgd.cix.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25062&group=comp.os.vms#25062

From: jgd...@cix.co.uk (John Dallman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:55 +0100 (BST)
 by: John Dallman - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 11:55 UTC

In article <th1c3i$1a6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>, arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajh�j)
wrote:

> What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
> come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
> forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.

Are there any statistics on the rate at which customers abandoned VMS
over the last couple of decades? It was clear by about 2007 that Itanium
was not going to conquer the world. Since HP were sticking with it, and
Alpha was out of production, that was the point at which a long-term
hardware problem for VMS would have been visible to the far-sighted.

John

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<th1e15$6th$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25063&group=comp.os.vms#25063

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:17:38 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:17 UTC

On 9/28/2022 7:55 AM, John Dallman wrote:
> In article <th1c3i$1a6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>, arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
> wrote:
>> What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
>> come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
>> forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.
>
> Are there any statistics on the rate at which customers abandoned VMS
> over the last couple of decades? It was clear by about 2007 that Itanium
> was not going to conquer the world. Since HP were sticking with it, and
> Alpha was out of production, that was the point at which a long-term
> hardware problem for VMS would have been visible to the far-sighted.

I have no doubt that the number of VMS systems has declined the last
20 years:
- uncertainty about future HW
- lack of commitment from HP(E)
- lack of enhancements
- lack of third party software

VSI has solved 2 of them. 2 to go. :-)

HP(E) and VSI must have specific numbers, but I am sure that they
don't want to share.

Arne

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<f4b3466ed3ef1eb88c384acf539a3279234f123c.camel@munted.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25065&group=comp.os.vms#25065

From: alex.bu...@munted.eu (Single Stage to Orbit)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 13:19:11 +0100
 by: Single Stage to Orbi - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:19 UTC

On Wed, 2022-09-28 at 12:55 +0100, John Dallman wrote:
> > What is important is that VMS is good CPU wise - there will
> > come out new CPU's approx. every year going forward. No waiting
> > forever on Itanium models that get years and years delayed.
>
> Are there any statistics on the rate at which customers abandoned VMS
> over the last couple of decades? It was clear by about 2007 that
> Itanium was not going to conquer the world. Since HP were sticking
> with it,and Alpha was out of production, that was the point at which
> a long-term hardware problem for VMS would have been visible to the
> far-sighted.

Trouble with PHBs, is that they tend to look at the bottom line and
profits rather than long term planning.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Re: Intel Announces 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" multi-core CPU Chips

<th1pkj$7bm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25068&group=comp.os.vms#25068

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:35:47 +0100
 by: chris - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 15:35 UTC

On 9/28/22 08:47, Single Stage to Orbit wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 17:16 -0700, Bob Gezelter wrote:
>> Ars Technica reports Intel's annoucement of the Raptor Lake family of
>> multij-core CPUs:
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/intels-first-13th-gen-core-cpus-include-few-surprises-but-many-cores/
>>
>> It will be interesting to see the details of future OpenVMS support.
>
> I'd like to see OpenVMS running on AMD as well.

Ideally, VSI should setup a process to generate an hcl list based on
user experience. Most open source os have an hcl (hardware compatability
list), which lists systems and peripherals that have been found to work.
Some closed as well, such as Solaris. This would reduce the load on
VSI and increase the potential market for VMS. Not just peripherals
and controllers, but server vendors and types. VSI won't have time to
test and support every type of hardware, but an involved user base
could help a lot.

It's often not the vendor of an io card that matters, but the chip set
used, as many controllers are based on the chip vendors reference
design, even just a copy, so many cards are interchangeable...

Chris