Harrison's Postulate: For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

computers / comp.mail.pine / Alpine and O365 Gateway

SubjectAuthor
* Alpine and O365 GatewayPascal W
`* Re: Alpine and O365 GatewayEduardo Chappa
 `* Re: Alpine and O365 GatewayPascal W
  +- Re: Alpine and O365 GatewayEduardo Chappa
  `- Re: Alpine and O365 GatewayBrandon Jewett-Hall

1
Alpine and O365 Gateway

<625324af-776e-4333-86c7-b6db557f5b5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=251&group=comp.mail.pine#251

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:42:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Alpine and O365 Gateway
From: pascal.w...@gmail.com (Pascal W)
 by: Pascal W - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 18:42 UTC

Hi! Does anyone have experience proxying Alpine via this "O365 gateway"?

https://github.com/mguessan/davmail

Thanks,
Pascal

Re: Alpine and O365 Gateway

<4a6af2c5-c0ee-02ef-1cf4-c87a14cf2ea6@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=253&group=comp.mail.pine#253

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: Alpine and O365 Gateway
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 19:31:27 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 02:31 UTC

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021, Pascal W wrote:

> Hi! Does anyone have experience proxying Alpine via this "O365 gateway"?
>
> https://github.com/mguessan/davmail

Yes, Davmail is a tool that allows you access an exchange server (using
the exchange protocol) through an imap gateway. My experience is that it
is slow, but if that is what you will be allowed to use it is better than
nothing. The default concept of "deleted" in davmail is "deleted and
expunged" so configure it to not to expunge upon deletion.

Good luck!

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: Alpine and O365 Gateway

<bccc78f6-76d4-4343-ac93-8a966559b697n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=254&group=comp.mail.pine#254

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:57:37 -0800 (PST)
From: pascal.w...@gmail.com (Pascal W)
 by: Pascal W - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 08:57 UTC

Thanks! From reading the documentation of DavMail my understanding is that Alpine will still be required to be approved by Azure AD administrators. At my company they have flipped the switch from default setting and do not allow developer self-service consent for apps. DavMail will not solve that problem for me.

/Pascal

On Thursday, November 18, 2021 at 3:31:31 AM UTC+1, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021, Pascal W wrote:
>
> > Hi! Does anyone have experience proxying Alpine via this "O365 gateway"?
> >
> > https://github.com/mguessan/davmail
> Yes, Davmail is a tool that allows you access an exchange server (using
> the exchange protocol) through an imap gateway. My experience is that it
> is slow, but if that is what you will be allowed to use it is better than
> nothing. The default concept of "deleted" in davmail is "deleted and
> expunged" so configure it to not to expunge upon deletion.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Eduardo
> https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
> http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

Re: Alpine and O365 Gateway

<73d85139-afaa-8ab1-fb56-2b4140f673a1@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=255&group=comp.mail.pine#255

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 02:23:30 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:23 UTC

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021, Pascal W wrote:

> Thanks! From reading the documentation of DavMail my understanding is
> that Alpine will still be required to be approved by Azure AD
> administrators. At my company they have flipped the switch from default
> setting and do not allow developer self-service consent for apps.
> DavMail will not solve that problem for me.

Dear Pascal,

depending on the type of security that is needed in your workplace, your
administrators should consider allowing apps that are known to work and
are trusted by the community. Both Alpine and Davmail are known and
trusted by the community, and the proof of that is that a quick search in
the internet will show you many universities that tell users how to
configure each of these programs to access their services. In addition
these products are distributed by Linux distributors (e.g.: Debian,
Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.) which adds to that these programs have been
reviewed and tried by the community, and security issues found in them
would be highly publicized.

The fact is that users can trust these products.

However, in addition to these observations that you should pass along to
your administrators, there is the issue of what Microsoft tells to the
administrators. In essence when you read Microsoft documentation and when
you talk to administratror the sense is that only Microsoft products are
trustowrthy (because they were purchased from a legitimate company) and
products not offered by Microsoft might not be trustworthy or might not
offer the same quality of service that their products offer, etc. In
essence, administrators are afraid to allow a third party product because
it is unsafe and/or inferior to a Microsoft product, for which a fee to
use was already paid to Microsoft.

In this way Microsoft can sustain its dominance over other products.
Products such as those coming from Google or Apple do not suffer these
issues because there is too much pressure to allow them and are considered
safe by the community. In your case, there is no much pressure to allow
Alpine because the user base is small, albeit it is considered safe by its
users.

The story of the man with the bag that will kidnap kids was meant to
scare kids to not to trust strangers based on their looks. This is
similar, and many admnistrators prefer to forbid Alpine and not accept the
evidence that Alpine is safe and trusted by its community of users.

There are merits to the way your system is being protected. No
everything is wrong, but allowing access to Microsoft products by default,
while leaving all other products out and only authorize them on a case by
case basis makes one company to take control of its users, and that is not
good for users at the end of the day. The idea of securing systems is
important, and you have to make the case the Alpine will not make their
systems less secure.

Are there any programs that you your administrator have granted access
to acceess their servers?

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

Re: Alpine and O365 Gateway

<23af36e1-5fd9-456a-8290-259871228838n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=572&group=comp.mail.pine#572

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 09:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: brand...@google.com (Brandon Jewett-Hall)
 by: Brandon Jewett-Hall - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:11 UTC

Hi Pascal,

I was able to get DavMail + Alpine working for a similar situation (university Office365 account that disallows most email applications). In my case, the IT department allows use of Mac Mail (Mail.app), so I set up my account with Mail.app on my Mac, and then I was able to spoof Mac Mail by copying the Exchange refresh token out of the Keychain and setting .davmail.properties like so (replace the email string in the refresh token property name accordingly):

davmail.mode=O365Manual
davmail.oauth.clientId=f8d98a96-0999-43f5-8af3-69971c7bb423
davmail.oauth.redirectUri=com.apple.Preferences://oauth-redirect/
davmail.oauth.youremail@example.edu.refreshToken=<REFRESH TOKEN>

On the Alpine side, I use plain auth for IMAP+SMTP and enter a fake password when prompted (any non-empty value will do), which appears to be needed to trigger the correct OAuth flow inside DavMail. After successful auth, in my case, DavMail rewrote the refresh token property in my properties file with an AES-encrypted version (presumably for the questionable rationale of avoiding plaintext).

The obvious downside of this approach is that you have to manually update the refresh token from Keychain whenever O365 forces re-auth, but these events are typically infrequent (on the order of months or years).